Is It Bad To Wash Your Face With Bar Soap?

Guest siyeon

Guest siyeon

I have always used Dove beauty bar soap on face ever since I was a little kid...

And I always thought it was okay, since Dove is really mild and it has a quarter lotion in it or whatever.

But now my friends are telling me that you should NEVER use a bar soap on your face...

I've never had a problem with Dove, and it makes my skin softer (at least for me I think).. but is it actually a bad thing??

How do you wash your face? What's the first thing you're supposed to use?

(My steps usually go: Wash with water and Dove soap.. and then cleanse one more time with Estee Lauder Foaming cleanser)

Guest Daikirai

Some bar soaps make your skin REALLY dry.. that's why you shouldn't.

If it works for you, then keep using it~

I always use soaps that are meant for your face. Liquid cleansers from Neutrogena, St. Ives, etc.

Guest alligatortears

soaps are usually really harsh for the face..

i think you can skip on the dove and go straight to your face cleanser

Guest mukinsvivi

Well i think it depends @_@ ...

On what kind of bar soap you get!

Like if it says : ''Cleansing Soap'' and the directions say

you can use it on face.. i dont see why not !

But if your referring to like.. o_o ''BAR SOAP FOR BODY..(i.e.: IrishSpring soap..etcetc)

It can really dry out your skin ..o-o .

I personally like bar soap for face.. (Right now im using Aveeno Oatmeal Bar soap)

It works really good ^-^ [Nice clean feeling..gosh!! It takes out all the dirt/oil i swear :o]

What i've benefit from it is..

-More even complexion

-Clean face

-Better oil control

-Money saver!!

Guest nghister

Everyone's skin is different. Dove bar soap is still a harsh soap to wash your face with everyday (let alone double wash with another cleanser after), but if your skin if fine after years of using this, then I don't see a problem.

Don't fix what isn't broken. =]

Guest fio209js2

I was reading the health section about this pure soap natural thingys called Olivia Care.. it's made from olive oil and I find it pretty interesting that you can use it for more than just your face.. like your hair/body and even your teeth for brushing.. Looking more into it. ^^;

Guest sweetiexpie098

Ahhh don't use bar soaps~!

Soap makes your face dry :(

Use like facial cleaners!

Well if you have no problem with it, then I guess there's no problem with that.... o_o

Guest LookUpAndJustFly

Well i think it depends @_@ ...

On what kind of bar soap you get!

Like if it says : ''Cleansing Soap'' and the directions say

you can use it on face.. i dont see why not !

But if your referring to like.. o_o ''BAR SOAP FOR BODY..(i.e.: IrishSpring soap..etcetc)

It can really dry out your skin ..o-o .

I personally like bar soap for face.. (Right now im using Aveeno Oatmeal Bar soap)

It works really good ^-^ [Nice clean feeling..gosh!! It takes out all the dirt/oil i swear ]

What i've benefit from it is..

-More even complexion

-Clean face

-Better oil control

-Money saver!!

I USE THAT TOOOO! : D

It's really nice for your skin, and does EVERYTHING it says it does on the box XD

Well that's just me, from my personal experience, but GOOD GOOD SOAP (:

Guest B L o T T - ii

bar soaps are usually wayyyy too stripping. it's strips your face of it's natural oils.

but doesn't dove soaps have 1/4 moisturising lotion in it? so... iono how that would work. lol. sorry 'bout that.

u use soap & cleanse? i think that would be very stripping. either soap or cleanser would be enough, personal opionion anyway.

my routine is just cleansing.. and exfoliating once a week ^^

Guest LittleShine

Woah, i use bar soap (for body) to wash my face when im showering!

And thats like everyday!

I have noticed that it drys out my face (a lottt), but i kinda like it....

I've done it for 4+ years o.O

Is this going to kill my skin or something?

Guest loveAmore

If nothing bad happens to you with it then keep using it.

If it is drying, just apply moisturizer after you cleanse.

Guest Novaculite

If nothing's wrong with your skin, then you shouldn't change your routine!

Soap bars can be extremely drying for some people, but work just fine for others. Your friends forgot to take into account that everyone is different.

Guest nanshi

A facial cleanser that's in bar form (ie. Aveeno Clear Complexion Bar, Basis Sensitive Skin Bar, Purpose Cleansing Bar, Neutrogena Cleansing Bar, etc) isn't necessarily bad to use on your face. The physical formulation of it is just solid as opposed to the cream or gel that people typically associate with facial cleansers.

And Dove's beauty bars technically aren't "soaps." They're... "beauty bars" (lol!). I've used it for awhile. Never saw any major problems and I love them to death. Made my skin feel a little taut at times, but nothing some moisturizer couldn't fix.

Keep on using it is what I say.

Guest pocketsoul

Not all bar soaps are awful, and if you aren't experiencing dry, flaky, skin I don't see the problem. Your friends obviously have other preferences, but don't let them decide what works for your skin.

Guest chao vivi

hey if it doesnt break out or irritate ur skin then its ok!

washing ur face daily in general is a must. so it doesnt matter, if it works for you then its perfectly fine.

my dermatologist always tell me stop buying expensive brand name products and just wash my face with dove bar soap. but i never listen because i have acne skin and i need something stronger.

Archived