Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keep Battery From Dying

DreamerDreamer I solemnly swear I am up to no good.310Posts: 178Member
edited April 2009 in general discussion
I'm going to be gone for 3 months.
Could anyone tell me what I could do to keep my car battery from dying? I'm not going to be using my car for 3 months. I can't have a friend start it up for me either because it won't exactly be in an accessible location... Thanks, in advance.
rise and fall

Replies

• wreckonizedwreckonized San Rafael,CaPosts: 19Member
    one of my trucks that i dont drive much, i unplug the battery.
    everytime i need to start it, i just plug the battery back and my truck starts right up. altho i dont suggest keeping alot of gas in the tank. gas can turn bad when they are left alone for a long time.

hope it helps =]
    2007 Super white Tundra SR5 Long Bed =] [5.7 iForce]
    ~~BMF 20" Novakane5
    ~~Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain 33/12.5/20
    1989 Dodge Ramcharger [Hemi]
    1984 MB 280SL Euro
  • aubreiaubrei ????? VancouverPosts: 564Member
    disconncet the battery
    if you have spare wheels with dead tires, put those on so you wont get flat spots
    maybe get an oil change before storing it too
  • terroristterrorist NYCPosts: 1,243Member

IDOL

A car battery would keep dying because inversely, the lesser the battery is used, the dying process continues. The more the battery is used, the lesser the dying process. But the dying commences and continues , the moment the car engine is not used. Thus, as often as the car is being used, the dying "resumes" the moment tne engine stops. And the faster it is used again, the slower the dying process.
    EVerytime the car engine is used, the battery recharges, thus life is given back to the battery. Once the engine stops, the dying resumes. This is why the car battery keeps on dying (everytime the car engine is not being used)

or you can just check for your alternator or alternator belt
    http://loyale.bandcamp.com/
    MAKE HIM FAMOUS. LISTEN TO HIS SONG!
    nyckira
  • kelvin6kelvin6 Posts: 1,378Member
    Depending on how old the battery is, it may or may not survive three months.

The reason behind this is because when the battery doesn't stay at what we call float charge (or around 12-13 volts), the battery acids begin to crystallize on the battery's plates. This is called sulfaction and it will occur because the battery won't be able to maintain the charge.

If you want to give the battery its best chance of even surviving three months, charge up the battery as much as possible before storing the car and disconnecting it. This means drive the car for a while to charge it up, all while driving to where you are storing the car.

You may want to borrow a jumpstarter battery when you need to revive the car or a very long jumper cable.
    "Ignorance is the anesthesia that numbs the pain of stupidity..."

Looking for a new economic car? Check out my car reviewshttp://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=259624.
  • DreamerDreamer I solemnly swear I am up to no good. 310Posts: 178Member
    Thanks for the advice, guys, I appreciate it. My battery's never died before. The longest I went without using it was 1 week. So yeah, 3 months is a lot.. I'm scared it'll be dead when I come back.

Oh and sorry for being a newb, but do I need another car to jumpstart it? Because when I come back, I'll be by myself. It's a little complicating. But basically, I'll be coming home to an empty house via taxi from the airport. And no one I know will be around because school won't have started yet. (I'm a college student.) And my HOME HOME is 3 hours away. :/ I suppose I could ask neighbors.
    rise and fall
  • rms13515rms13515 Des MoinesPosts: 352Member

ROOKIE

Were it me, If the battery hasn't failed, is in fairly decent condition and not very old, I'd just leave it as it is. Better chances to disconnect it of course, but if it's gonna drain it's gonna become crap anyways. Just think of when you get back, to avoid asking the neighbors for a jump, get a batter booster. Also for 3 months, gas shouldn't become bad.

• RykerzRykerz Adelaide, AustraliaPosts: 88Member
    dont keep too little fuel in the car either, mositure could form and you get water into ur engine
    My Flight Training Blog

Recording my every flight lesson for revision, memories, and to share the experience.
  • DreamerDreamer I solemnly swear I am up to no good. 310Posts: 178Member
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for the additional advice.

QUOTE (rms13515 @ Apr 19 2009, 08:03 PM) »
    Were it me, If the battery hasn't failed, is in fairly decent condition and not very old, I'd just leave it as it is. Better chances to disconnect it of course, but if it's gonna drain it's gonna become crap anyways. Just think of when you get back, to avoid asking the neighbors for a jump, get a batter booster. Also for 3 months, gas shouldn't become bad.

Do you know where I can get a battery booster? Pepboys maybe?
    rise and fall
  • ZiGeNX77ZiGeNX77 ☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺ Bay Area, CaliforniaPosts: 2,740Moderator

Auto parts stores should carry items like that, but I would call around to make sure.
    ~Soompi Moderator Team - David
  • ashleymarrsashleymarrs Posts: 2New Member

TRAINEE

Well, that’s a bit tension! I love to travel and I travel a lot but when I’m travelling keeping car in running condition is really not possible. So that’s why I remove its battery and while returning I install the battery again. So in that way my car’s battery is always in good condition. You should also try it and if you don’t know how to do it here’s the process on how to install a new battery. It’s really easy to install battery, anyone can learn it.