University Of Guelph?

Guest overmyhead

Guest overmyhead

Soooo, is anyone planning on potentially going to U of Guelph? I've seen Ryerson, Waterloo, UofT....but no Guelph. That's probably because it's a really white school, so all you asians are all flocking to T.O. lol But seriously, l'm considering Guelph or Western for biomed/sciences. I just wanted to know what your opinion of Guelph is about their program and the school as a whole, even if you don't go there.

Anyone?

Guest Swtess

Guelph is NOT a white school. They do have a lot more but there is a big asian population here.

A lot of the asians from Waterloo and other places have transferred to Guelph in recent years.

I don't go to U of G but I live here.

Guelph is a very good school and it is ranked pretty high as well.

Everyone here is very friendly except for the korean clique according to a lot of my friends.

There's tons of international students that flocks here as well, so you don't have to worry so much if you're asian deprived. lol that's according to some of my friends.

Classes are pretty good according to a lot of my friends.

They really don't have any complaints and really enjoys it.

Only down side is that Guelph is considered to be pretty quiet.

There's really not much to do here and the university plaza is pretty boring compared to Waterloo.

Just come and visit.

I totally agree X__X I used to live in Markham... so I was almost surrounded by asian people 90% of the time haha >_>

I don't go to Guelph (I go to WLU) but a HUGE chunk of my friends went to Guelph O__O

Probably about... 7-8 of them? >_> and anyways, they say that Guelph is indeed a VERY white school. I'll quote that they think it's quite rare to see asian people there.... and the one time they went on the bus (in a group), they got stared at LOL!

Not sure how true it is... but yes, you'll probably be a minority when you go? >_>

For the campus... I've been there a few times and I think it's really nice ^^ It's a lot bigger than mine and the buildings aren't too bad... with lots of pretty green grass =)

My friends are in hospitality management and HR... so I don't know anything about their science programs =X I wish I could help with that lol T_T

As far as I know though, it's a pretty decent school and Guelph is apparently the "oldest town in Canada" or something like that =S I dunno... just quoting my friends.

Hope that helps ^^

--xoxo.

TM

Guest Swtess

^ I think your friends were just being paranoid.

You don't get stared at for being on the bus. Only way they would is either they were acting like idiots or there are some cute ones in the group. lol

I wouldn't say minority since Guelph does have a rather large chunk of asians living here.

Compared to large cities like Toronto, of course its going to feel that there are barely any asian here.

Its just that most of us prefer to leave town on weekends to Toronto or something.

Guest sandybaby_

I dont think UofG is a white school. There actually a lot of asians from toronto, scarb etc.. Also a lot of international students from other asian countries too. I take the University route bus, i always see tons of asians on the bus.

but if you want to compare it to UofW, toronto , then Guelph isnt much LOL

I dont think im making any sense here D: btw i dont go to UofG, i lives in guelph tho.

we're actually getting more & more asians,

Guest overmyhead

lol okay thanks for that...but now ASIDE from the asian thing, how's the actual university?

and sandybaby_ your from guelph? how do you like it as a city? Is there lots to do?

Guest sandybaby_

lol okay thanks for that...but now ASIDE from the asian thing, how's the actual university?

and sandybaby_ your from guelph? how do you like it as a city? Is there lots to do?

yes, I'm from Guelph. Honestly, I think Guelph is okay, it can be a bit boring if you're so used to big city like Toronto. If you're one of those shopaholic like me, then guelph is a bit lame cos the mall isnt that great. It's okay i guess. & there aren't much to do. maybe i jus dont know the places in guelph D:< I'm usually out toronto . but hey , at least Guelph is close to many cities, like toronto, missisauga hamilton, kitchener, waterloo, cambridge etc. Overall, Guelph is ohkay . Its not a bad city to live.

(: i hope this helps >< sorrry if im not making any sense here.

Guest Irrationallyrational

What about in terms of the students there? Campus? I heard it's pretty hard to get from one place to another on campus because it's so darn far.

Guest overmyhead

What about in terms of the students there? Campus? I heard it's pretty hard to get from one place to another on campus because it's so darn far.

Really? I went to visit the campus in the fall and its pretty small in comparision to other schools like Western and Mac. I found it much easier to find my way at Guelph than the other two.

yes, I'm from Guelph. Honestly, I think Guelph is okay, it can be a bit boring if you're so used to big city like Toronto. If you're one of those shopaholic like me, then guelph is a bit lame cos the mall isnt that great. It's okay i guess. & there aren't much to do. maybe i jus dont know the places in guelph D:< I'm usually out toronto . but hey , at least Guelph is close to many cities, like toronto, missisauga hamilton, kitchener, waterloo, cambridge etc. Overall, Guelph is ohkay . Its not a bad city to live.

(: i hope this helps >< sorrry if im not making any sense here.

Really? I'm a major shopaholic. Good thing toronto is close, I'm currently from Kitchener. BUT I'm hoping to not spend too much money next year on clothes cuz I'll be broke.

Guest nertzzz

lidolaydeej:

I gradutated from Guelph last year and honestly, I think it was the best University experience I could hope for. After attending the campus tour, I immediately knew it was the right place for me. Most of my friends said the same! My other options were UofT and Carleton and they had better financial packages but after I attended the Open Day, I felt that it was worth it.

The University has a very open and friendly vibe and I really liked the fact that it was a smaller school. My sister went to UofT and always complained about being just another number (no offense intended) The class sizes in Guelph are smaller.. I think the biggest class I had was about 500 students but that was a first year (optional) Science class for BA students.

Course wise, there are quite a lot of options and the Profs. on the whole have been great. They respond to your emails immediately. There are some really amazing teachers there who go the extra mile for students. Most of them are also pretty understanding with students issues or in my case,stupidity :P. I accidentally wrote down the wrong exam schedule and missed my Spanish final but the Prof. let me write my final in the office. A lot of people I know had the same thing happen and as far as I know, all of them were given a second chance. ahh we sound like a bunch of slackers but we aren't! really! :)

It's also quite easy to go see a Prof. during their office hours. They are available once or twice in a week and there isn't usually a huge rush.

Even the desk-staff at Student Services and the different departments have all been really helpful and sweet.

As for diversity: In general, there are fewer minorities than in other schools like U of T and York, but I think its slowly on the rise. On any given day, you will see a number of Asians, South Asians, exchange students from Africa walking around the campus. Being Asian myself, I've never got stared at, ever!

And although it is true that there are distinct groups especially with Asian exchange students, they didn't give off unfriendly vibes.. I loved the Taiwanese Club and their bubble tea sales ^^

Sorry, this turned into an essay but one last thing, Guelph has the best on campus food :D There's so much varitey.. most places always have vegetarian options..and the salads (although on the expensive side) are fresh and you have tons to choose from. You can also get proper meals other than just hamburgers, pizza and fries.

There are tons and tons of different places to eat on campus!

The campus seemed really big to me when I first got there but once you get used to it, it actually feels pretty small. If you have classes on opposite ends of campus, the longest it'll take you is ten minutes.. and I am pretty short :D. Most buildings(classes) are about five minutes away from the centre.

Guest aznscrewball

Yay people who go to Guelph. Haha, the asian population I think is small there. Even I stare when a huge group of asians congregate :) haha and im asian. There is not a lot of stuff to do in Guelph aside from drinking heehee =)

nertzzz described everything pretty well. Everyone helps everyone else out, theyre all really friendly compared to U of T. LOL

Classes are small (compared to other universities) and Professors always like the help. They send replies to your emails so fast you have to wonder if thats the only thing they do all day haha.

Unless you are a very asian kind of asian, you will fit in quite fine. I know asians who hated the school cuz they couldnt find people to relate to. Like, the type that only stays in their room and doesnt like to socialize, watching anime the whole day.

Guest nertzzz

Professors always like the help. They send replies to your emails so fast you have to wonder if thats the only thing they do all day haha.

Lol!! so true!!

anyway, I wish I had known you while I was in Guelph!! .. fellow SuJu and Kpop fan.. :D.. My friends used to be very amused by my Kpop obsession. Of course now that a few of them are in Korea, they're all like .."ooh I love Big Bang...and Sorry Sorry/Mirotic" <_<

Guest overmyhead

wow, thanks guys, that info was very helpful. I was considering between guelph and western. I know western is a lot bigger and therefore there's a wide variety of choices to choose from in the science field. Whereas, guelph is smaller and most of the science courses lean toward biology and botany type of stuff, which Im not really interested in.

You said guelph is good, because you get to know your profs. Do you think it's a good idea if I go to Guelph for my undergrad, and get a good recommendation and then go to western for grad?

And Im not really concerned about the diversity issue, I'm pretty whitewashed so I sure I'll be fine.

What about residences? Do you know which is best? Which ones are more quiet and which ones tend to have a ton of parties? I enjoy partying, but I do want to be able to sleep and study when I need to. I know a lot of people don't like south because it looks like a cave, but I didn't mind it. Doesn't south have the best food? Im also thinking about going into an academic cluster, do you know which rez's have those?

Thanks for all the help!

Guest nertzzz

wow, thanks guys, that info was very helpful. I was considering between guelph and western. I know western is a lot bigger and therefore there's a wide variety of choices to choose from in the science field. Whereas, guelph is smaller and most of the science courses lean toward biology and botany type of stuff, which Im not really interested in.

You said guelph is good, because you get to know your profs. Do you think it's a good idea if I go to Guelph for my undergrad, and get a good recommendation and then go to western for grad?

And Im not really concerned about the diversity issue, I'm pretty whitewashed so I sure I'll be fine.

What about residences? Do you know which is best? Which ones are more quiet and which ones tend to have a ton of parties? I enjoy partying, but I do want to be able to sleep and study when I need to. I know a lot of people don't like south because it looks like a cave, but I didn't mind it. Doesn't south have the best food? Im also thinking about going into an academic cluster, do you know which rez's have those?

Thanks for all the help!

- I'd definitely recommend Guelph especially for Undergrad but a bunch of my friends who've gone to Western liked it too.. so I guess ultimately pick the place you got a better feeling from?

- rez, I can help with^^. I think the best one would be Johnston.. I'm biased cos I lived there :P

In our day, it was party central and always chaotic (but in a good way) but after my year moved out, they installed security cameras and stuff so I've heard, its definitely not as crazy and the parties have moved to other residences. The rooms are the biggest along with Mac Hall, I think. Singles are pretty small but you can get lucky and score giant triples. The doubles are big compared to other residences. Plus you get a dressing room size closet! There are also bigger open areas than in others and separate rooms with a couple of cubicles for studying on either side.

It's the center of campus so you are at roughly the same distance from most class buildings and you're directly in front of Johnston Green which is amazing!!

For meals, you'd have to go to Creelman which is about 2/3 minutes away and has the same-ish food as the South Dining Halls + Swiss Chalet.

Other halls also have their good points:

Lennox/Addington, East and South both have dining halls on the ground floor so during winter, you don't have to leave your rez if you want food.

The Pit (ground floor of LA) has the best curly fries :D

In South, you can run downstairs right after u wake up and make it in time for actual breakfast on weekends. Plus I think they have some kind of international themed meals once every week.

The downside to L/A and East is that they are abt 10 floors I think, so when the elevators aren't working or the fire alarms go off (which they do very often in almost every rez :D ) you have to walk up and down to your room. Most of the time, my friends just came to our rez and slept there.

South, I think isn't that bad if you get a single but for doubles and especially triples, it can be very suffocating. My friends' triple in South was waaayyy smaller than a double in Johnston. But the clusters in South are pretty cool. Its like a little tower with everyone in ur program living inside :)

I really liked the rooms in Mac Hall..they're so pretty but it can apparently be too quiet.

East has a cool concept and big enough rooms but it just felt too far from campus.

I've only been to Lambton and Mills a few times so can't say much about them.. except I like that Lambton has two hallways that meet in a common area so you always see the people on your floor and can become pretty close to them. It can be noisy though.

-- I'm not fully sure but i think South, Mills, Lambton,L/A and maybe East have academic clusters?!?!

Good Luck!!

Guest overmyhead

wow! so helpful! Mac is the women's only though right? When I visited, I think their rez looked the nicest.

and yeah I remember, the "paper wall" rooms, or whatever they were called in South, eeh...I don't want to be placed in there, or the double room that has a small room connected. :crazy:

• 4 weeks later...

Guys I heard that it's crazy hard to get from one place to another cause it's so far is that true? Meaning from like res to another building, placed far apart?

edit: Johnston looks beautiful in the vids, I'm a little confused as to where it is though..North South East?

Guest overmyhead

Guys I heard that it's crazy hard to get from one place to another cause it's so far is that true? Meaning from like res to another building, placed far apart?

edit: Johnston looks beautiful in the vids, I'm a little confused as to where it is though..North South East?

I visited Guelph, Mac and Western. Guelph was by far the easiest to get around. I believe Johnston is North.

Omfg I'm so scared of being placed with a roomie I won't get along with T____________________T

ps: It's a lottery right? As so which one of the ranking res options you get?

Guest overmyhead

Omfg I'm so scared of being placed with a roomie I won't get along with T____________________T

ps: It's a lottery right? As so which one of the ranking res options you get?

I think that kind of stuff rarely happens. If you're really concerned about having a roommate, maybe its better to get a single then?

I like my privacy so I opted for a single. There are the most singles in South, so if you want to better you're chance put single in south.

If you want a double, I'd say south as the worst doubles, based on what I saw when I was there.

When you do your res rankings you can use whether the res you are in is more important or the type of room you are in (single, double).

You get 4 choices. For each choice you put a room type and res area. For instance, Johnston and double.

Yeah it's a lottery, so if your name comes up they will try to give you your first choice, but if they can't they'll try to give you your second choice. etc. etc.

Archived