Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kinein & Makaveli Fitness Thread

Replies

• ChouChouChouChou mrs lau <3 UKPosts: 2,782Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited March 2009
    QUOTE (Makaveli @ Mar 23 2009, 04:14 AM) »
    Kickboxing, tres impressed image.
    K well you're already very slim as you know lol. If you want to look more toned and lean hit those weights!
    2 meals a day? that's scary lol. I'd recommend you increase but if it's working for you, I wont deter you.
    There's no such thing as babyfat when you're not a baby anymore image. No diet pills!
    If you don't have a gym membership or can't get one, i'd suggest you pick up some dumbells or something
    and start workin with them. Hit the compounds as i've said in my previous post to the first person who posted.
    Do the compounds for around 12 reps to get that nice tone going. Also i'd recommend increasing your protein intake.
    Which means lots more meat image. Eat clean!! I trust you'll do this because you went through so much effort to create
    such a detailed post. If you haven't done this already just cut all the junk food out of your diet. I know you snack, don't even tell me you don't on 2 meals a day lol. Contrary to popular belief, late night eating is completely FINE! It's as long as you're just eating protein and staying within your calories for the day. Seriously, it's not bad to eat at night just don't eat carbs before bed! If you have anymore questions ask us

yep kickboxing...4hours every thurs..was pretty hardcore since i wasn't used to that kinda intense workout before. i was young enough for the kids class and old enough for the adults class that was straight after..so the teacher told me to stay lol..gawd it was hard work
    i wish i didn't quit =_=

2 meals a day is ok for me as i don't usually wake up until 11am-12pm, that's when i have my first meal which normally is soup noodles and then i don't normally eat until dinner at around 6-7pm which is normally rice + a veriety of different chinese dishes
    i don't normally go to bed until around 2am which is why i always used to get hungry around midnight
    my bfs mum always tells me off because she says she saw on tv that eating at night can cause stomach ulcers and also leads to a flabby belly..which i have image

ok i will do more weights..the thing i'm worried about though is getting musculer/bulky!!!

p.s. don't image quote!! you'll get a warn!
  • Lady VioletteLady Violette My Pashion for Fashion CHINA-town xDPosts: 1,467Friend of Soompi
    #1: 19, Female
    #2: 5' 4 1/2", 116lbs
    #3: No experience. I don't do sports on a normal basis. I only go to the gym or play some sports in the summer time at the park. I used to do karate if that counts...
    #4: Overall pretty healthy. Ate a small meal every 3-4 hours and one "reward" meal last week (Burger King, I'm horrible but I can't control myself >_<). I always eat breakfast, lunch and dinner and some snacks. My snacks are usually a fruit or crackers+hummus yum. But I ate some chocolate yesterday bad bad me...I usually aim for 1200-1600 calories a day but on my workout days I eat significantly less so I guess I'm doing "calorie zig-zagging" too.
    #5: Gym every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for 1.5hours. Cardio machines, usually the elliptical and treadmill and weight machines such as Rowing, etc.
    #6: To tone and get muscles. Even though I lost 7 pounds in 2 months, I still have a lot of fat. My arms are still the same size now as when I started losing weight...only my waist and thighs got slimmer...

Questions: How do I start my process over again? Do I continue losing my weight or try to maintain it but continue going to the gym to do cardio and tone? Should I make my routine at the gym more hardcore? As of now I can only lift 30lbs... I really want to be more toned!!!

Thanks guys!
  • sushi_aznsushi_azn Posts: 241Member
    edited March 2009
    HEIGHT and WEIGHT: 5'5" and 140 lbs
    EXPERIENCE: did gymnastics for about 4 years
    EATING HABIT: drank at least 2 litres of water, had small meals throughout the day. but they were unhealthy/junk foods image (brownies, cookies,etc)
    GOAL: My goal is to reach anywhere between 125 lbs -130lbs.
    SCHEDULE: I have school on Mondays and Wednesdays. I work on Thursdays, Fridays, Sundays ( from 9.30 am - 7pm) , so i just worked out on Tuesdays+Saturdays. 30 min run/30 min walking with really high incline to tone up my legs.
    My aparment fitness opens at 9.30 am until 6.30 pm, so it never fits my schedule on the days that i have school and work. Only working out on Tuesdays and Saturdays for only 30 min isnt a way to reach my goal image
    I just dont know how to find a way to work out.
    Gym memberships >>>> its pretty costly for me. image my tuition is pretty high (out of state) and my pay checks all go to my tuition.
    so please help me plan my work out plan.
    Is it true that people trying to lose weight should not eat anything after 5pm?
    ALSO, because i did gymnastics, i am pretty flexible and i like to stretch. I wanna get couple more inches taller. is it possible to get little taller by stretching?
    any other tips?
  • electricolorelectricolor Posts: 410Member

ROOKIE

edited March 2009
    #1 Age and GENDER:

17 & female

#2 You height and current weight:

5'0 & 129-131 lbs

#3 What is your experience? Sports? Cheerleading? Ever been trained?

The closest thing to sports that I have done is soccer in elementary/junior high school, I stopped once high school came around. Last summer, I used to go to the gym 3-4 times a week @ 3 hours a stint. I used to mix up cardio on the elliptical, stairmaster and treadmill. I also did some of the weight machines.

#4 Eating habits in the last week?

For breakfast - bread with strawberry jam, and milk tea
    lunch - rice noodles, or steamed chicken wings
    dinner - rice with some sort of vegetable, herbal soups, chicken breast with mushrooms/broccoli.
    dessert - either yogurt, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream with corn

On one of the days, I also ate a poutine and boba tea.
    And on another, I ate really crappy lemon chicken with broccoli and a smoothie from yogen fruz.
    I ate those because I went to the mall for a whole day with my friends >_<

I usually drink 2 bottles of water within a day

#5 Your current exercise habits.

I usually try for 30 minutes of brisk walking/jogging (4 times a week), but I'm more of a short distance sprinter, than a long distance jogger. I've also been doing turbo jam aha. Along with some exercises that use the resistance band.

#6 YOUR GOAL 120 pounds or to fit into a size 4 jeans (I'm currently a 6) and to become less flabby and more toned !

Questions:
    What other forms of cardio (besides running/jogging) and toning exercises can I do, that does not require the assistance of gym equipment (since I do have access to the gym this year)?
    does jumping rope make the legs bulk up?
    is my goal possible before summer if I stick to a plan?
    Tumblr  ✭ Instagram   Blogspot  (beauty, fashion, and some personal stuff)
  • vvnvvn ????'s heart CanadaPosts: 1,434Friend of Soompi
    #1 21 Female
    #2 5'5 135lbs
    #3 No experience really. I've taken swimming lessons when I was a kid, but only for 3 years. I've taken some random classes here and there, such as yoga, pilates, and aerobics classes at the gym.
    #4 The week always starts off clean, but goes downhill. First 2 or 3 days I do well, eating plenty of fruits and vege's, refraining from those empty calories, but by the end I give in and eat a bunch of junk food. I have horrible cravings for chocolate, candy, and chips all the time! I don't eat a lot of meat, I just eat a lot of junk.
    #5 It's always on and off. But recently I've been going to the gym 2-3x a week. I work on the elliptical and/or treadmill for 30-40mins. Then I work on the rowing machine for 10mins or so. Afterwards I stretch and do some abs.
    #6 My goal is to lose my tummy, arms, and thighs. I've given up on a certain number, of course, ideally I'd love to be 120lbs. My weight has been stable more or less for the past 4 years. However, I used to have a pretty flat stomach even though I rarely worked out (perhaps 'cause I walked everywhere), but this year it's just always bloated! I think a part may be due to me going on birth control pills, but also me sitting on my butt all year. Most of all, I hate my arms. Do you know Hayden Pannettiere's body? Or Hilary Duff's body when she first debuted? Or even Kelly Clarkson's. Their arms were/are huge! I know you can't spot-reduce weight, but I really hate my arms.

So please, what should I do to cure all these displeasures with myself? Thanks so much!
  • jamiexx68jamiexx68 Posts: 72Member
    edited March 2009
    #1; Age and GENDER:
    14 and female
    #2;You height and current weight:
    5'2" or 5'3" and 120 lbs
    #3; experience
    -dance classes for 2 years
    -tennis for like 2 weeks-_-
    -kendo for about a month.
    -USED to go running like everysingle day, but my schedule got a lot hectic as i got older, though i am still young.
    thats basically it for sports; on not too good at anything.
    #4; Eating habits in the last week?
    well, its monday... so, from last week?o_o
    i mostly ate a lot of carbs last week;/
    more than USUAL. but i think i had a good amount of protein.
    thursday, i ate too much cos i went to eat sushi
    friday, i ate too much cos of blackbean noodles
    saturday, i ate an okay amount, but had popcorn-_-
    sunday, i ate a lot cos it was my brother's birthday
    so, last week i ate a lot. usually, its A LOT less, but i cant seem to control myself when i eat out.
    however, usually, i eat a very minimal amounts during meal times, and i try to drink a lot of water but.. i dont really like water. rofl. its not like im not full, but i feel... 'ew' if i eat to the point im very full. but there ARE times when i just binge.
    &&; this week i started this 'special k' thing for 2 weeks.. where you eat cereal for breakfast, a meal bar for lunch, and you just eat dinner as you like, but of course... im cheating a little bit.. - -x but not much;
    #5; Your current exercise habits.
    so far, i've been taking it little by little, just cutting back on what i eat, less calories.
    however, i do crucnhes, backward crunches, and a bunch of other stuff with the stomach. and about once a week i'll go for a walk/run. plus, soon im starting swimming and rowing maybe. and maybe even yoga. however the yoga is only a maybe, and rowing only for a couple of sessions(each session is 2 weeks) in summer
    #6; YOUR GOAL
    100-105

QUESTION;
    ehh, i kinda have a few...
    anyways.
    my mother says that i weight a lot because i have big bones? like, if you compared my ankle or wrist with any other girls, its A LOT bigger. so, does this affect it? and, i kinda doubt theres a way to reduce bones so yeah..
    and also, people say my fat is just baby fat and it'll grow into my height, but i recently went to the doctor and she said this is my height.. for life, though my mom disagrees.
    so, how can i get rid of it?
    i mean, like what foods can i eat, and excersises that are quick, easy, and wont take TOO long.
    i have some time, but not like hours.
    do you think what im doing so far is okay? and my summer plan gonna work to lose weight?

thannnnks.
  • spforkspfork Posts: 2,807Member
    #1 Age and GENDER
    - 17 and Female
    #2 You height and current weight
    - 5"3-5"4 and around 125
    - Never did any sports or anything. All of my exercising was done by myself at home (most of the time)
    - I tried not to eat too many sweets, but I kind of failed. But I do eat lots of vegetables/fruits/ healthy items.
    Trying to eat smaller and more frequent meals, but it's hard.
    - I run for about 15 to 20 minutes Monday through Friday. As for working out, I do crunches and push ups but
    those are pretty limited.
    #6 YOUR GOAL
    - To look more toned than bulky. I had a problem with exercising before because I would end up getting bulky
    calves and such...
    Oh, and to shed off five to ten pounds. I have a lot of extra fat.

QUESTION:

- Do you usually get bulky first and then toned?
    - I started dancing, but I don't do it for very long... three songs at most. Is this good to incorporate into my
    exercising? I get worn out a lot easier than when I run.

Thank you!
    Back after a long time. It's nice to be on Soompi again :)
  • vyn.vyn. formally known as mz-dud3tt3 Ontario CanadaPosts: 3,578Member
    edited March 2009
    I've always been ask if I'm 2 , 3 or even 4 years older than I really am. It irritates me how I hit puberty at an early age. I gained weight and got bigger? I've been teased about my weight recently and it's bugging me. My family and close family members tease about my weight too D:. I've weighed more than my mom since I was 12 and I'm suppose to be at least the same weight as her image. Also, I have to buy pants a size larger than my waist because of my large thighs and calves.

#1 Age and GENDER
    15 (in 6 days) and female

#2 Your height and current weight
    5'3 and 127 lbs.

Sports
    I've been playing a variety of sports since grade 5 but the sports I played from grade 7 -8 were volleyball, basketball, wrestling, badminton, and ultimate frisbee. My mom has banned me from sports since sept. 2008 so I haven't been involved in sports from then until End of Feb. End of feb, i've been secretly trying out for badminton team for 2 hours on tuesday and 1 and a half hours wednesday. Other than that, thats my only experience.

Ergh, march break and I got tempted from gornola bars and other food I could find cause I was bored ><" Told myself I'd get back on track today though so for breakfast, a vietnamese sub, then for lunch a salad wrap, and for dinner, I had noodles with peppers. shrimp, squid, and uhm fish sauce. xD. Just now, I ate a banana.

Plank for 1minute 30 seconds each night (for fitness test in may XD)
    I have Phys.Ed this semester and one period is 75 minutes.
    Recently, just badminton troyuts. Sweat a lot after ever tryout though.
    If I'm not getting a drive to school I'll walk and it's a 25 minute walk? (2-3 times a month)

#6 YOUR GOAL To have smaller thighs and calves? They're massively huge.
    Weigh around 115 lbs? At that weight, I think I'll be happier.
    I'd like to get toned also image

Question : What kind of activies/exercises should I do to get smaller thighs? When jump roping, what part of the body is it mostly targetting?
    When I get REALLY tempted by sweets and the first thing I want to do is take a bite out of it, what are some way I could distract myself from doing so? I heard that chewing gum is a great way but are there any other ways?

Also, do I continue to post my progress on this thread image? Not too sure what's going on here ^^"
  • kineinkinein single asian and fit ~ weeEeeeEeEe Orange County, LAPosts: 2,056Moderator

edited March 2009
    QUOTE (icebreakers @ Mar 22 2009, 03:23 PM) »
    #1- 16 and Korean male
    #2- currently 5"9 and 162lb
    #3- I dont play any sports at the moment, but I've played several sports such as basketball, football, handball, volleyball, and tennis, but i never stuck with any for too long... so to prevent myself from getting out of shape, i signed up for a local gym.
    #4- I usually have 2-3 meals a day(i cant eat from 8am to 2pm because of school, not too sure what to do about this). Having the usual korean food(rice with side dishes). But i do occasionally eat out and get myself some fatty food(which im trying very hard to resist.)
    #5- I go to the gym 6 days a week and work out for about 2 hours. I workout on Monday then move on to running the next day, and repeat. Sunday is the day i rest. And also, i lift heavy one week, then try to tone down the next week. (I've stuck with this for about a month or two)
    #6- lastly, my goal is to be fit. I want decent amount of muscle with cuts and ofcourse a sixpack(if possible). I have aimlessly worked out for about an year in my school gym and i know very little about weight training, just the basics.

My question is, I'm very inexperienced in health in general, so i need some sort of help, or plan to reach my goal. In other words, what should i be doing in the gym? how long should i be running for? what are the recomended foods for building muscle or foods that can fill you longer.

im sure i have more questions, but im unable to think of much at the moment. I'm motivated to reach my goal, i just can afford a personal trainer, and im not sure if what i am doing is correct. Thank you, and ill be waiting for a reply.

Is there a reason why you couldn't stick with any one sport?

Making sandwiches is fast easy and affordable - egg salad, tuna, ham, turkey, pb&j etc. Boiled eggs are also easy to pack. So are small bentoboxes etc.
    - You should have a brunch and a lunch for 2 other meals besides breakfast all before 1pm!
    * Keep in mind that there are no ifs and buts about it, you can or cannot. Typically a high school student sucks at nutrition and you get by with the amount of exercise sleep and whatever nutrition you can get in per day.
    * People get fat or in shape in high school as well based on their daily eating habits and how "active" of a lifestyle they live.

- Based on your exercise plan you only weight-train 3 times a week and do cardio every other day.
    You want a decent amount of muscle and you want to be fit ~

Based on the high school definition I'd say be able to maintain your flexibility - splits.
    * do 100 hundred pushups nonstop with perfect form and easy
    * run a mile in 7minutes or under 6 if your in good shape
    * bench 225lbs for 10 reps easily ( after warmups )
    * Squat 300lbs for 10 reps easily ( after warmups )
    * Dumbell row 50lbs+ for 10 reps easily.
    * Do 15 pullups or 15 chinups
    * Be able to dance for 3-4 hours straight and not look a sopping mess in the corner of the dance floor
    * do 2-3000 crunchies in bed a knight ( double crunches )

Chest
    ** you probably don't have this or need this .. but doesn't hurt to show this link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCOo3RtKu1E
    ** BENCHPRESS -> Good video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnhpKTXeIeg...feature=related
    - make sure you do some lightlight weight front and lateral raises 15 reps for 2-3 sets before you benchpress.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOnP_oAXUMA...feature=related - another person
    Chest workouts - http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=4895846CC1452239
    * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RsUYs54be0...re=channel_page - she does better pushups then a lot of guys.. more then likely she does them better then you as it takes practices to do ... the perfect pushups.. lol. This is a great exercise often belittled and not taken seriously - extremely recommended for girls that want toned arms and some back support and chest support.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyfxRXJxZHE

Legs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt7pYIjEFo4 - leg press * watch this!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zntdTAB1SJc...feature=channel - leg curl
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgMTIUFPwGs - leg extensions
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brl9XEe_XRA...re=channel_page - db squat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RILcUZ-lsSs...re=channel_page - db lunges
    ** really good video **
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744 - Dan John teaching sports trainers how to do some lifts like the Squat

Back
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgUsXA4JX0w...704&index=0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knpcLNRkreA...feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jglY7g7wzp4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD7CnLDoHfk...feature=related
    * try thinking about pulling your elbows back or down with back exercises, even in pullups or chinups
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ua01wJA3Q...feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uYCx-MPk28...feature=related

Shoulders
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpWrzp9Mnyg...feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASNNE44n_Zk...feature=channel
    http://www.youtube.com/...h?v=7CGp-HUz5uI

Since I'm tired of posting links ~ I'll give you a few youtube channels to work with ;p

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=scooby...amp;view=videos
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=cbathl...amp;view=videos
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Starbodies
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=fitnes...amp;view=videos
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=buildi...amp;view=videos
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Instru...amp;view=videos
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Michae...amp;view=videos

Challenge yourself and make sure you obey the 3 constants - exercise + eating + rest.
    As long as your seeing progress whatever your doing is working if not try adding more structure.
    http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?sho...838&st=2340

The last 20-30 pages should have good insights if you want more furhter information or have a more info

My question is, I'm very inexperienced in health in general, so i need some sort of help, or plan to reach my goal. In other words, what should i be doing in the gym? how long should i be running for? what are the recomended foods for building muscle or foods that can fill you longer.

You should be pushing yours muscles ( stimulate ) if you want a simple rule of thumb if you can do 10, you can raise the weight again and try to do 10. If you can do 10 you can raise the weight and try heavier. If you can do 10 you can raise the weight and so on. Since you didn't post any strength #'s no idea where you are at but utilizing 3-5 exercises per body part and doing 4-5 sets is a decent rule of thumb. Though in the fitness thread link I posted you can read up on starting strength or at your age even 12 week workout plans on flex magazine or muscle mag would work. There are plenty of methods you could use it all would depend on your learning curve and how consistent and hard you worked.

Foods.. Complex carbohydrates like oatmeal, whole grain bread, quinoa, pineapple, melons.. Stay fuller longer? protein red meat or casein shake. Eat more vegetables....

Key words : baked broiled steamed grilled boiled healthiest..

Lots of vegetables as much as you want ~ protein as noted in this thread and the old nojeel thread ~ complex carbs

Post workout you can get crazier on the simple carbs -- or simplified just have bananas in the morning and in class - and before after weight-training.

Avoid junkfood and candy. When you get in better shape you can have a more lenient eating habit but unless your fit you should eat to get fit then experiment a little and see how your body adapts to re-adding some simpler carbohydrates.

Google, wikipedia any terms you don't understand.

Once you stop seeing results up your weight-training to 4-5 times a week.
    Cardio after weight-training for at least 20-30 minutes ~ you can keep doing your other cardio.

Cardio in the morning 20-30 minutes. * optional if you want to see faster results.
    stardustz17jaykidding
  • kineinkinein single asian and fit ~ weeEeeeEeEe Orange County, LAPosts: 2,056Moderator

edited March 2009
    QUOTE (milkx @ Mar 22 2009, 08:44 AM) »
    1) 21
    2) 5 foot, ~95lbs
    3) Used to swim for 5 years straight. Hard access to a swimming pool atm.
    4) My eating habit has been pretty roughly the same for the past week. I would eat a fruit for breakfast then have rice+meat+veggies for lunch. Dinner would be similar to lunch but in a larger portion.
    5) Have been going to the gym twice a week for 2 weeks now. Mainly did weights. Dumbells for the arms and some other machine (not sure of the names image) that targeted the hips, back, and legs. I walk to class 4 times a week (accumulating to around 30 mins each day at least). Also I do around 100 crunches per day.

I'm looking to slim down my body fat and gain some muscles. My stomach fat has been a constant problem. All in all, I want to tone down and get rid of the extra fat!

Thanks! Hopefully you'll reply.

[edit] I'm female btw. Thanks to Shiwen, I think its a good idea to state it too.

Used to swim means that you no longer got it.. sucks when you see a person lose their body or what they did manage to make.

Makaveli covered all the important parts but generally your eating is killing you. Breakfast should be the largest meal followed by (POST-WORKOUT MEAL) which is the meal you have after working out. As he said Protein Vegetables. Those are the most important things.. if you aren't working out hard ( pushing yourself and really challenging yourself to change then cut down on the carbs ). If you aren't running or in the gym working hard then cut down on your carbs for off days - you didn't earn any of it! But you must continue to eat protein and vegetables!

Keep at it and try to get to 3-4 times a week at the gym ~ another thing for arms - pushups. I can't stress it enough but you can do these at home - every morning and every night try to do as many as possible and you can even have a small pushup log.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RsUYs54be0...re=channel_page

Some suggested exercises

The walking is extra so I won't count it other then poor eating and not too much exercise at least you are working toward your goal! keep it up.

edited March 2009
    QUOTE (lolitanicole @ Mar 22 2009, 10:28 PM) »
    #BONUS - Question
    My question(s) would have to be, since I cannot attend a gym, what would be best for me exercise wise? How should I change my eating habits? to a slow transition? *this I am really concerned about because there are many foods that I cannot intake/eat because of allergy/stomach problems; if you need to know the foods they are please let me know!*
    There are times when I absolutely cannot focus because of too much energy so if I could use that up by doing exercises I bet that would really help out in the long run!

I know I have a long way to go, so I'd love to start before I whiter away! image
    Thank you for reading!!

Being Realistic & Planning Ahead

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242014

Why is Diet so important?

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=272559

#1 people who talk about losing weight and whine and make a big deal about it are doomed to fail. Why? Because anyone that really means it is too busy DOING it to talk about it to anyone. Because once you really get serious you understand that no one can relate or appreciate what you are really trying to do. Only after you have been at it for 3-6 months will you gain some small recognition so long as you continue to improve. Otherwise you waste your time while someone else is working on eating healthier + training more effectively and consistently + getting more rest.
    #2 Don't bother whining or telling the same people that you want to lose weight - they don't need to hear it. They need to see you get in shape not hear you talk about it.
    #3 Talk is cheap. Results and the lessons learned each day you grow and improve yourself is what matters.
    #4 if you have all this energy you should exercise then, no one is there chaining you to a desk.

But even without reading about your stomach and allergy issues - avoid foods that you are allergic to that is all.
  • MakaveliMakaveli The Animal The GymPosts: 1,409Member
    edited March 2009
    QUOTE (angle021 @ Mar 23 2009, 07:40 AM) »
    Okay, woops. Sorry, I meant intensity or distance. lol. And I am srs! But I can't go to the gym bc I'm a broke college student. I'm still trying to get a job. Actually, I had one, but it turned out to be really scammy-like so I quit.

Thanks for the heads-up.

One last question (can't guarantee) - I just ate oatmeal (blueberry) that said it had no sugar. But then it tasted sweet? What's going on here lol. I was trying to find some oatmeal that was just plain oatmeal without any sugar, but it's so hard to find! I couldn't find it for some reason in the aisle. What's the right oatmeal to get?

One of the more popular branded ones. The other ones you can get PLAIN at costco and such in bulk
    are much cheaper and the same pretty much lol. That is just an example.
    I'd suggest getting plain oatmeal and spicing it up with some ground up cinnamon or some
    berries or fruit slices since it should be for breakfast, carbs are allowed image.

I am also a poor university student. Where does my money for the gym come from?
    Well first, I sign up to my school's garbage gym which gets the job done so it's w/e lol.
    Secondly, I go out less, Train More! that = More Money!
    Talking about being serious and committing? Talking is different from doing image
    having the concept in your mind is only half way to doing it.
    "You have to do what others won't, to achieve what others don't" ~ Iron Mike Tyson

• lolitanicolelolitanicole Southern, CAPosts: 85Member
    QUOTE (kinein @ Mar 23 2009, 07:12 PM) »
    Being Realistic & Planning Ahead

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242014

Why is Diet so important?

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=272559

#1 people who talk about losing weight and whine and make a big deal about it are doomed to fail. Why? Because anyone that really means it is too busy DOING it to talk about it to anyone. Because once you really get serious you understand that no one can relate or appreciate what you are really trying to do. Only after you have been at it for 3-6 months will you gain some small recognition so long as you continue to improve. Otherwise you waste your time while someone else is working on eating healthier + training more effectively and consistently + getting more rest.
    #2 Don't bother whining or telling the same people that you want to lose weight - they don't need to hear it. They need to see you get in shape not hear you talk about it.
    #3 Talk is cheap. Results and the lessons learned each day you grow and improve yourself is what matters.
    #4 if you have all this energy you should exercise then, no one is there chaining you to a desk.

But even without reading about your stomach and allergy issues - avoid foods that you are allergic to that is all.

Excellent -
    This is exactly what I needed to read ~
  • yumi-chanyumi-chan O ___ O HawaiiPosts: 4,788Member
    edited March 2009
    #1 17/Female
    #2 5'3/115lbs
    #3 I walk a lot? Other than that, I never did any sports... haha o_o
    *I usually eat one cup of protein special K and a orange in the morning
    *half a turkey sandwich for lunch (whole wheat bread/lots of lettuce)
    *chicken breasts+salad OR scrambled egg (w/o milk) with mushrooms and veggies for dinner
    *along with small snacks of pistachios or puff/rice cakes through out the day.
    (I usually hit 1200-1300 calories a day, depending if I don't binge)
    #5 slow to intense cardio at home (30 minutes a day), a lot of walking, cycling, that's pretty much it.
    #6 First goal is 110 if it's not enough, then 105. I just want a lean/toned body overall (my thighs still have a lot of fat and so do my upper arms)

Questions:
    *Any advice suggestions on my meal plan?

thank you ^___________________^/
    Infinite1.jpg
    you got the f i r e that makes me go boom, boom, boom. .........................tumblr
    QUOTE (yumi-chan @ Mar 23 2009, 10:22 PM) »
    #1 17/Female
    #2 5'3/115lbs
    #3 I walk a lot? Other than that, I never did any sports... haha o_o
    *I usually eat one cup of protein special K and a orange in the morning
    *half a turkey sandwich for lunch (whole wheat bread/lots of lettuce)
    *chicken breasts+salad OR scrambled egg (w/o milk) with mushrooms and veggies for dinner
    *along with small snacks of pistachios or puff/rice cakes through out the day.
    (I usually hit 1200-1300 calories a day, depending if I don't binge)
    #5 slow to intense cardio at home (30 minutes a day), a lot of walking, cycling, that's pretty much it.
    #6 First goal is 110 if it's not enough, then 105. I just want a lean/toned body overall (my thighs still have a lot of fat and so do my upper arms)

Questions:
    *Any advice suggestions on my meal plan?

thank you ^___________________^/

How long have you been on this diet/exercise routine?
    Also, what other snacks/junk do you indulge in besides your 3 meals a day?

"You have to do what others won't, to achieve what others don't" ~ Iron Mike Tyson

edited March 2009
    QUOTE (GreenTeaLeaves @ Mar 22 2009, 11:01 PM) »
    Okay, I DARE someone to help me.

#1 Age and GENDER: 17, female
    #2 You height and current weight: 5 foot 3, 135lbs.
    #3 What is your experience? Sports? Cheerleading? Ever been trained?: Always been a bit fat.....I am type 1 diabetic and my thyroid is completely dead, so I think that must change things a bit.
    I used to hike or run everyday, for about 4 hours, and bike and inline skate....but that was years ago.
    #4 Eating habits in the last week? Been calorie/carb counting for a year. Don't eat past 8 for religious reasons. I eat about 1200 calories a day. Over the summer I ate 1000 or less a day....which was pretty bad. I always eat under 200 carbs a day.

Every morning I eat two pieces of toast and a mug of coffee, and then I go until about 2:30 without eating again....I tend to binge eat at lunch, and then laze around until dinner. Normally:
    Breakfast is 180 cals, 50 carbs.
    Lunch is about 580 cals, 100 carbs
    Dinner is about 300 cals, 45 carbs.

Snacks are mostly dry cereal and apples.

#5 Your current exercise habits. I run two or three times a week. (was 6 times a week, but that seriously screwed up my knees.) I run for an hour and ten minutes, including warm-up and cool down. I carry water bottles as weights. I stretch when I return home...I do sit-ups for 45 min. once or twice a week.

I also practice various types of dance....rather like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiIL-w_jD8o (I don't know if it counts as exercise, but by the end my body is drenched with sweat....does that count?)

Over the summer I also climbed 80 flights of stairs a day....that was good exercise, but again, injury to my knees made me stop.

Honestly, I exercised a lot more before I worked +15 hours a week and went to school. Last year (when I didn't have such a consistent job) I lost 15 lbs with serious dieting and everyday exercising....but now, I'm living with work as the biggest priority, and being fit is getting less possible.

#6 YOUR GOAL The rest of my family has an average BMI of 19.5 or 18.0. I'm hoping I can get to be at about 20.0....'cause being the fat, unfortunate sibling for one's whole life gets tiring. That aside, I want to show my doctor that despite the fact that I've had diabetes since I was born, I am healthy.

Basically: No time frame, lose about 4 inches from my waist/corresponding weight loss from other areas of my body. I would like to change my fat mass to lean muscle mass, if possible.

(Being idealistic I'd say I want to lose 30 lbs, but I don't own/have access to a scale, so I can't even say I'm seeing changes or not.)

* please include a question as this is not a survey. MY QUESTIONS FOR YOU: I work in sales. I'm standing for about 5 hours a day, with nothing to eat. Yet why does it seem like I am gaining weight back, when I consistently monitor my calorie intake, exercise, and spend much less time eating than I used to?

Second question: I don't have a gym, and the only exercise I can do is stuff that requires no equipment.....such as running, or using household objects (like water bottles as weights.) Any ideas? IS THIS EVEN WORTH TRYING?

(I might regret asking. >__< )

You tend to obsess over one thing too much and lose sight of the big picture - or so it seems. The excessive cardio without building muscles to protect your knees and joints is the first example. Having only toast and coffee for breakfast and then noting how you watch calories and don't eat for 5 hours at a time is also another red flag.

Without weight training I would have recommended you moderate your cardio training to reflect on the wear an tear of overuse. Along with the poor eating habits that didn't focus on creating more muscle to support your body.

Yes it is even worth trying ~ but since you work you can afford to buy some dumbbells ~ The first link should cover everything you need concerning home exercises.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961

Also there are plenty of bodyweight exercises - bodyweight squats, lunges, calf raises, pushups etc, and using anything at home that weights more then the water bottles.. watermelons, melons, gallons of water or juice, etc ~ Or invest in some exercise bands - I know gold's gym sells a line at stores and also bodylastics. pink1e in the p90 thread was buying some and you can ask her in the p90 thread for more info. The p90 plan is all about homeworkouts so you might like that thread as well.

Sounds like you're poor eating habits have done a pretty # on your metabolism ~ review the eating recommendations made by makaveli in earlier posts and compare them to yours to see the sharp disparity. If you are operating at such low calories with no weight-training then nothing is protecting your body from cannabalizing the rest of your muscle leaving you in a higher and higher proportion in body-fat%. You more or less have been living a destructive pattern that has only gotten worse over time.

Until your knees feel okay I recommend you don't run - just walk ~ go to a good university that has gym facilities! image

When you do running keep it to 3-4 times a week at most ~ if you feel your joints starting to fatigue - rest til next week.

Your calories vs the quality of your nutrition in those calories is poor. That is probably the biggest deal first of all. the toast vs eggs and chickenbreast ~ completely totally different nutrition profiles.

* there are countless mothers with 1-4 children online that give a lot of fitness advice with awesome bodies whom also work and many of whom have 3-4 careers at the same time. don't use work as an excuse, never ever give an excuse for not being able to enjoy the one life you have to live. If you don't have time, aren't at the point in your life where you understand how to make time; then accept that you just have a limited time to work with. Therefore maximize the time you do have available. Hell some of the hottest gorgeous women I've seen are mothers with jobs.

The dancing thing you do ~ seems like a legitimately hardcore dance workout compared to some of the laughable dance exercises some girls call their workout. Good stuff.

edited March 2009
    QUOTE (ChouChou @ Mar 22 2009, 03:41 PM) »
    #1 Age and GENDER 21 Female

#4 Eating habits in the last week? i've been trying really hard to cut out food after 9. before i would always have food around 12ish as i would always get really hungry as i have dinner early around 6pm. in the past week i haven't had any supper [very proud of myself] and only have 2 meals a day [which i normally do anyways] and i've cut down on snacking
    #5 Your current exercise habits. gym 2-3 times a week .. normally consists of a warm up on the tredmill, selection of weight training and then about 30mins-hour on the crosstrainer at different levels
    #6 YOUR GOAL 105lbs or 98lbs..but i think that would be too hard and too...skinny maybe. i just wanna be smaller and more toned as i'm pretty petite anyways so i want the body to go with it..if that makes sense....
    i would basically like to look like this -->

Just adding to Makaveli..

It sounds like you have a good idea and good achievable goals.
    Raise your exercise to 3-4 times a week as 2-3 is more for maintenance.. Though the model in your picture probably trains 4-6 times a week.
    Be aware that there are lots of types of cardio.

One type is non-intensive cardio ( this doesn't stress your nervous system ) mental and psychological rest needed from rest and proper nutrition
    * Walking ~ though I recommend treadmill speed 3-4 and as you get in better shape and can stay on 4 for the most part raise the incline by 1-2degrees
    This is low key cardio ~ can add this in to morning cardio to focus specifically on body-fat loss pre meal#1 * meal #1 is first meal or breakfast *

* steady-state : where you operate at a speed that keeps your body in fat loss mode
    * challenging stead state : basically running at a higher pace and going for overall calorie burn for the duration of exercise ( faster mile times is an example)
    * hiit - interval training : where your cardio is based on going 90% of your maximum effort ( sprint but not to the point of breaking mach 1 ) and droping back to 50% a run speed for like a mile. Done 30 seconds hard, 60 seconds run back and forth. When you get in better shape 30 seconds hard, 45 seconds run, maximum 30 seconds hard, 30 seconds run. Only you know what your maximum effort is and what your true 50-60% is.

After weight-training always implement 30-40 minutes of either of these though if you are feeling good go with challenging steady state or interval type training.
    5 minutes warmup do the cardio then 5 minutes cooldown ( this is POST WORKOUT CARDIO ) not part of any separate cardio training.

I've posted a number of video links if you want any exercise ideas and in the other fitness thread there are a bunch of video links as well.

For your arms the #1 thing I would recommend is pushups! If you aren't working out on a certain day you can cut down your carbs by half or eliminate carbs after 1pm.

The most important times for carbs are breakfast and the time before and after working out. IF you want to get even more strict the most important time is breakfast or meal #1 and the meal after working out. For after workingout ( SIMPLE CARBS - carbs that are quickly utilized to funnel into your lean muscle tissue ) - white rice, noodles, gatorade, powerade, banana will do.
  • yumi-chanyumi-chan O ___ O HawaiiPosts: 4,788Member
    edited March 2009
    QUOTE (Makaveli @ Mar 23 2009, 04:26 PM) »How long have you been on this diet/exercise routine?
    Also, what other snacks/junk do you indulge in besides your 3 meals a day?

I've actually started doing intense cardio since 2 weeks ago/ before that I walked for 30 minutes a day for about 3 months. I've also been on a diet for 3 months (basic no junk/fast food diet) and lost around 10lbs (sorry, I forgot to mention before hand T_T) According to my bmi i'm at average weight for my height, but I still have fat to lose, so i'm still going. I have a cheat day every one - two weeks in attempt to keep my metabolism in check. ^__^;

As for snacks, sometimes I tend to eat a lot of oranges and bananas image (which I know is kind of wrong since there is a lot of sugar in them) so I cut them down just yesterday to one fruit in the morning XD. And sometimes I have small pieces of chocolate here and there T_T. I also eat a lot of lightly salted nuts, and this low calorie rice puff cracker thing o_o that is 20 calories each. That's it, I think. (=
    Infinite1.jpg
    you got the f i r e that makes me go boom, boom, boom. .........................tumblr
    edited March 2009
    QUOTE (notyours236 @ Mar 23 2009, 12:19 AM) »
    Hello Kinein and Makaveli, I'm so happy that you both are so helpful and considerate!

#1 Age and GENDER: 16 and Female

#2 You height and current weight: 171cm and 158lbs

Since grade four, I played tennis once a week for an hour and a half, but stopped in grade 7.
    After that, in grade 10 and 11, I started to play volleyball and joined the team, however it's only one season, so it basically lasted two months. Training was twice a week for two hours.
    I also took swimming lessons to get a life guarding license, but somehow my trainer stopped training me because she was preoccupied with university applications, so I stopped taking lessons.
    I didn't really work out much, my life was somehow quite sedentary.

Last month, I used to stretch, run, and then stretch. This caused me to stretch a ligament, and I had to stop exercising. image I'm slowly resuming my workout now.

Morning: Milk mixed with black sesame seeds and Cheerios without any of the honey with a 12-grained bagel spread with margarine OR bagel with salmon, baby romaine lettuce and a slice of low-fat cheese with milk. Two tablespoons of Açai berry extract, a Centrum pill, and a Lingzhi pill.

Lunch: I'm on break right now, so lunch is usually skipped or I go out and have sushi, but when school starts I'm planning just to have Japanese Edamame with home-made frozen berry smoothies. I used to take cafeteria meals, and they were so fattening, which may be the reason why I'm not losing that much weight, and I tend to stress-eat (Brownie bear paws, pastries, cheese, cookies... bad habit!). It's as if I lost control over my body when that happens.

Snack: My mum bought Tiramisu this week, so I kind of indulged (two slices) for a day.

Dinner: Chicken-broth based soup. Brown rice and cutting it down to only vegetables.
    Dessert: Six portions of fruits.

Since September, I've started working out by myself on the treadmill. It was initially 4 miles/hour at 0% incline for 15 minutes, and I'm up to 5 miles/hour at 5% incline for 30 minutes (following makaveli's advice from September! Thanks!). After that, I do 20 minutes on the elliptical at 4-6 resistance, then skipping until 500-800. I weight train only my arms with 7lbs weights (20-30 lifts), I feel it's not enough.

#6 YOUR GOAL
    My graduation's three months away. My dress size is 8 and I want to make it go down to a 4 or go down to 130lbs. I'd also want to tone my arms and rid the fat on my thighs (pants: 10-11). It doesn't matter if I don't make it to a 4, but I want to be healthier and have an active life style with my busy schedule at school and extracurricular activities.

I'm joining the running team at school, every monday and friday, there is a 2.5-mile running session at the city's mountain.

Now, here are my questions. There is a quite a few!
    1. I feel like I don't weight train enough to see the results. I've never done any squatting, push-ups, leg lifts, sit-ups, etc.
    Is there a list of weight-training activities with a number of sets and repetitions I should try to tone myself up?

2. I also need to clean up my exercise routine. Because I'm involved with many clubs at school, the time I exercise is very late at around 11pm-1am (sleep at 2 after shower and wake up at 7 the next morning) about three times a week, which might also explain my very slow weight loss. I have to change that. Should I work out in the morning from 5am-7am? Is it good for me?

Here's a list of the stuff I'm doing besides exercise:
    Biology Club
    Human Right Club
    Student government
    Drama production
    Piano
    Tutoring English
    and soon:
    Running Team
    Tennis Team

3. Should I also follow the weekly work-out schedule you gave to angle021?

4. What to do when exams start? Do I still work-out? or should I stop for the two weeks and watch my calorie intake?

Thank you in advance! I hope with your help and support I'll be able to make it!!! I'm sorry for this long post.

Hey Hey image.
    I have to say that your diet is brutal right now lol. Sorry to have to be the one to say it but
    someone's gotta do it.
    You should follow the meal plan i've outlined for angle

Eating (same plan from the first post) -
    Meal 1 (bfast) - Protein, carb, veg
    Meal 2 - Protein, veg
    Meal 3 (Pre-workout) - Protein, carb,veg
    Meal 4 (Post - workout) - Protein, carb, veg
    Meal 5 (pre-sleep?) - Protein, veg
    **drinks of choice - Water, OJ and what? Nothing else

Also I would suggest cutting out the milk. If you need calcium get a good multivitamin or calcium pills.
    0 calories image haha. However, you can keep it if you want but just don't have it anymore throughout the day
    aside from the cereal in the morning.

You've mentioned that you feel the exercising isn't enough so far, if you want to, you can
    pick up on the routine i've outlined for angle021 in terms of exercising also. It would help you.

You can workout in the morning 5-6am or 6-7am, not from 5-7am straight!!! Make sure you eat something first.
    If you were to do that your meals would look something like that.

Meal 1 (bfast) - Protein, carb, veg
    Meal 2 - (Post - workout) - Protein, carb, veg
    Meal 3 - Protein, veg
    Meal 4 - Protein, veg
    Meal 5 (pre-sleep?) - Protein, veg
    **drinks of choice - Water, OJ and what? Nothing else

It's completely up to you, like I've stated before, as long as you keep your carbs at breakfast
    and surrounding your workout, it's good.

I know you're busy, i'm a university student myself. So I know how you feel. However, it's not that much
    to ask to put in 1 hour everyday. Also in terms of the workout schedule, you can take a day off on your busiest day
    instead of let's say Sunday. You can make sunday a workout day and make your busiest day your off day or w/e works best for
    you. Just find a way to squeeze in that one hour and make it count! You may need some coffee or something after to keep you going,
    instead of sugar use splenda or something! Also about the meals, try to keep your daily caloric intake around 1600-1700 calories.

QUOTE (Koala<3 @ Mar 23 2009, 02:10 AM) »
    #1 15, female
    #2 5'2 143ish
    #3 I play basketball for my high school. (Currently a Soph.)
    #4 I try to eat healthy for breakfast, ex: some cereal (usually honey bunches of oats) and milk. I snack during 3rd period. Which is around 10:15ish XD I usually take some carrots, celery or grapes. Lunch at school is usually something i skip out on, although sometimes i'll buy a bag of Cheez-its. Although its after school that kills me the most. My sister is a Senior in high school which equals her having a car and is responsible for driving me to and from school. After school she usually goes out to eat with her friends to various places, which means I have to be dragged along. It's usually hard to avoid eating at the same place she does because im pretty hungry after school. (I'm not saying this should be an excuse, just a little insight of my weekly eating habits!) and for dinner I usually eat some rice, and some side dishes.
    #5 Exercising is something I pretty much have to do Mon-Fri. It consists of running on the track (we do this every monday, going up 1/4 a mile which at my school is one more lap), running bleachers around the away side of our football field (the range is usually 5-10, depending on his mood x_x), or in the gym playing pick up games for the whole period. which would be about 45 mins total. Sometimes I go with a few girls to the Rec center to play some more basketball.
    #6 My goal would probably be to loose 20-25 lbs, and gain some more muscle (not like big guns or anything XD).

It's interesting because I wouldn't call myself extremely out of shape or anything.. Just with some more baggage? haha. Maybe it has to do with my muscles?

The main thing I want is to have balance in dieting and working out. Which brings me to my question:

How should I balance out the days I run to the days I just play simple pick up games? Should I include more weights/crunches or something into my daily routine?

Well as your temptation is afterschool, pack yourself something extra to eat while they go out and eat. Just have some self-control
    and willpower. I know it's hard but where there's a will, there is always a way. Now as for the exercising thing,
    there isn't really a need to BALANCE out the days you run to the days you play pick up games. It's all about your intensity really.
    If you play slack pick up games you can always go run for another half hour or whatever. The days you run, you should just keep intensity
    high and not run forever, an hour should more than suffice for you.

QUOTE (whoameye @ Mar 23 2009, 03:50 AM) »
    #1 19, female
    #2 5' 4", 128 lbs
    #3 I used to run cross-country...now I do nothing but yoga...I'm going to start running tomorrow
    #4 I try to eat healthy (eat 5 times, around 1500 calories) but I binge occasionally...which i know is AWFUL if you're trying to lose weight so i'm seriously going to stop....aka...i need to drink more water!!
    #5 I'm going to start running and lifting weights, but I get discouraged because there are so many body parts that I have to work on and so many exercises that are floating around in the internet that I'm like "hmm which ones should i do???!!"
    #6 My goal would probably be to loose 20-25 lbs, and tone up! also...flat belly!!

Questions:

I have a spare tire around my belly. Honestly, it's embarrassing. Like I pinch my belly and "hey look! There's an inch of fat". It's so thick that I don't think it'll ever fall off and that's why I get discouraged with my diet and exercise. It's not flabby like my mom's belly. If I really watch what I eat (ie. no sugar 50/30/20 complex carb, protein, fat ratio) and run 5-7 times a week and lift weights...will it go away in 8 weeks? or sooner? It's just so annoying! And at this point I really dont think ab work will really help because of all the fat...but should I do it anyway?

Also...I kind of stopped running because cross country made my legs really really bulky...like now that I quit my pants fit so much better..but now they're getting kind of flabby and I want the fat to go away...but as you can imagine I'm a little scared to start running again because I build muscle pretty easily in my legs...everyone always says running long distances slims thighs..but I guess that's not the case for me???

thanks SO much!!

lol bulky thighs from cross country? Are you taking oral steroids or something? haha image. Anyways i'm going to DISMISS that
    unless you post pics, because i'm sure they're not as bulky as you make them seem. From what you're saying it sounds like your
    thighs look like that of the incredible hulk, which I highly doubt.
    Occasional binging isn't horrible, it's acceptable if you do it like once or twice a week as in for one or two MEALS, not ENTIRE DAYS.
    Well since you're sedentary your caloric deficit should have been lower, however once you start running any being active again
    1500 is the perfect place for you to keep it. Look at the past replies I've made on this page and the previous one regarding dieting.
    Eat clean foods and follow the outline which i've posted in earlier replies.

QUOTE (yumi-chan @ Mar 23 2009, 11:02 PM) »

I've actually started doing intense cardio since 2 weeks ago/ before that I walked for 30 minutes a day for about 3 months. I've also been on a diet for 3 months (basic no junk/fast food diet) and lost around 10lbs (sorry, I forgot to mention before hand T_T) According to my bmi i'm at average weight for my height, but I still have fat to lose, so i'm still going. I have a cheat day every one - two weeks in attempt to keep my metabolism in check. ^__^;

As for snacks, sometimes I tend to eat a lot of oranges and bananas image (which I know is kind of wrong since there is a lot of sugar in them) so I cut them down just yesterday to one fruit in the morning XD. And sometimes I have small pieces of chocolate here and there T_T. I also eat a lot of lightly salted nuts, and this low calorie rice puff cracker thing o_o that is 20 calories each. That's it, I think. (=

Congrats on the loss of 10lbs, you're doing well so far! As far as the fruits go for snacking, no!! lol.
    The nuts are good for snacks, you can also have vegetables such as celery sticks, and carrots sticks,
    broccoli or cauliflower are also edible raw. Just take a look at the meal plans i've been suggesting to others
    who are trying to lose weight, they will keep you satisfied all day and you wont feel a need to snack.
    Also keep exercising hard!

edited March 2009
    QUOTE (notyours236 @ Mar 22 2009, 11:19 PM) »
    Hello Kinein and Makaveli, I'm so happy that you both are so helpful and considerate!

#1 Age and GENDER: 16 and Female

#6 YOUR GOAL
    My graduation's three months away. My dress size is 8 and I want to make it go down to a 4 or go down to 130lbs. I'd also want to tone my arms and rid the fat on my thighs (pants: 10-11). It doesn't matter if I don't make it to a 4, but I want to be healthier and have an active life style with my busy schedule at school and extracurricular activities.

I'm joining the running team at school, every monday and friday, there is a 2.5-mile running session at the city's mountain.

Now, here are my questions. There is a quite a few!
    1. I feel like I don't weight train enough to see the results. I've never done any squatting, push-ups, leg lifts, sit-ups, etc.
    Is there a list of weight-training activities with a number of sets and repetitions I should try to tone myself up?

2. I also need to clean up my exercise routine. Because I'm involved with many clubs at school, the time I exercise is very late at around 11pm-1am (sleep at 2 after shower and wake up at 7 the next morning) about three times a week, which might also explain my very slow weight loss. I have to change that. Should I work out in the morning from 5am-7am? Is it good for me?

3. Should I also follow the weekly work-out schedule you gave to angle021?

4. What to do when exams start? Do I still work-out? or should I stop for the two weeks and watch my calorie intake?

Thank you in advance! I hope with your help and support I'll be able to make it!!! I'm sorry for this long post.

Sure any weight-training will help you can start with the advice given to angle ~ review the other replies and also check-out the pinned fitness thread at the top of the fitness section - read the last 20-30 pages and you'll find a lot of exercise advice along with the replies listed here.. also at page 1 the very first post I've included other links. Video links have been included in prior responses a few posts back and as well as in the older fitness thread pinned at the top of the health and fitnes section.

Your eating you need to fix, sounds like you are good at multi-tasking if you have so much time to do all these clubs you have time to make sure you are eating.
    one or two replies ago I discussed types of cardio with chouchou I think you should review that as well ~ then examine what your doing and compare.

A lot of people are able to manage or create a great body with 5-6 hours of sleep a night and some catchup on weekends.

I would put more emphasis on your eating and actual exercise as it is relatively weak and uninspiring image You can do much better ~ so do it.

What I do during exams is cut everything down to 30-45 minute workouts and only workout a few times a week at best. I basically do what I can but you should know where your prorities are. You have 365 days a week. Which is over 8700 hours. Just because you don't put in an optimum amount of time during tests does not excuse you from the rest of your life. image So cut down on the time during tests ~ hell maybe once or twice at best or some jump-roping for 5-10 minute some pushups bodyweight work at home is the best you can do. During midterms and finals and big tests > exercise ~ you have time the next day or week.

QUOTE (Koala<3 @ Mar 23 2009, 01:10 AM) »
    #1 15, female
    #2 5'2 143ish
    #3 I play basketball for my high school. (Currently a Soph.)
    #4 I try to eat healthy for breakfast, ex: some cereal (usually honey bunches of oats) and milk. I snack during 3rd period. Which is around 10:15ish XD I usually take some carrots, celery or grapes. Lunch at school is usually something i skip out on, although sometimes i'll buy a bag of Cheez-its. Although its after school that kills me the most. My sister is a Senior in high school which equals her having a car and is responsible for driving me to and from school. After school she usually goes out to eat with her friends to various places, which means I have to be dragged along. It's usually hard to avoid eating at the same place she does because im pretty hungry after school. (I'm not saying this should be an excuse, just a little insight of my weekly eating habits!) and for dinner I usually eat some rice, and some side dishes.
    #5 Exercising is something I pretty much have to do Mon-Fri. It consists of running on the track (we do this every monday, going up 1/4 a mile which at my school is one more lap), running bleachers around the away side of our football field (the range is usually 5-10, depending on his mood x_x), or in the gym playing pick up games for the whole period. which would be about 45 mins total. Sometimes I go with a few girls to the Rec center to play some more basketball.
    #6 My goal would probably be to loose 20-25 lbs, and gain some more muscle (not like big guns or anything XD).

It's interesting because I wouldn't call myself extremely out of shape or anything.. Just with some more baggage? haha. Maybe it has to do with my muscles?

The main thing I want is to have balance in dieting and working out. Which brings me to my question:

How should I balance out the days I run to the days I just play simple pick up games? Should I include more weights/crunches or something into my daily routine?

I don't think you need to balance the days - your an athlete. My sister has played for 4 years now including 2 summerleagues every summer and does just fine.
    * she is quicker then me and faster and leaner.
    The appearance of bulk is the fat covering your muscle ~ You have an issue with body-fat that is all.

If your in season you'd have to avoid overdoing weight-training so keep weights down to 45min a day at most since you seem to be very active cardio wise. It may just be that your not very carb tolerant or that you get more carbs then you actually need. An emphasis in proteins and vegetables would be your goal.

Give it your best - avoid injury, work to be faster quicker. Your eating habits need fixing, review makaveli's posts along with also posts I've made on eating ~ packing meals for brunch and lunch.

You can make smarter eating choices @ fast food places. Minimize your carbs except around the periods as highlighted by makaveli. What kind of fast food places are you going too?

You need to be more detailed about the eating ~ also a picture may help to illustrate where you are.