Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking The Same Professor More Than Once

stymiestymie Los Angeles, CAPosts: 228Member
I’ve taken 3 different classes with the same professor so far and I’m planning to take more with him. The professor is the type that remembers his previous students and he remembered me. Do professors get annoyed or suspicious if the same students take them many times or do they not care at all?

What’s the biggest number of classes you have taken with the same professor? Are the professors fine with it?

Replies

• xmooglexmoogle SeattlePosts: 454Member
    I'm pretty sure he wouldn't care. I mean, if you're taking his classes, then it means that he's a really good teacher and/or he teaches really well. I don't think he would get suspicious.

I've taken the same English professor twice and he definitely remembered me. He just called on me more often to answer questions cause my name was the only one he remembered. I'm planning to take more chemistry classes with the teacher I have now. He's an amazing lecturer.
    IPB Image
  • sleeps_in_librarysleeps_in_library Posts: 453Member
    i think he'd feel flattered that someone really likes his classes.
    why would he be annoyed? would you be annoyed?
  • dottywinedottywine Posts: 81Member
    Not at all! Infact, you need to take advantage of the fact that the professor has known you for so long! Get to know him. Get involved with some research or something. He can write rec letters for you or make career suggestions!
    goodstuff.onsugar.com [blog] ♥♥ youtube.com/user/Peaceudo ♥♥ twitter.com/dottywine
  • i<3rameni<3ramen the fresh the city of rosesPosts: 547Member
    ive probably taken 3 since the professor ive had is the only one that teaches the sequence of classes. plus i dont think they would mind and if you think theyre a good teacher and take advantage of that then youll be able to understand how they test and what they look for in a class rather than being with a new professor who may suck and you wont know what to expect
    Always know if the juice is worth the squeeze
  • erureerure photography junkie CaliforniaPosts: 5,927Friend of Soompi

IDOL

I think professors like it that you take lots of classes from them, provided you do well in previously enrolled classes.
  • rhaizerhaize Posts: 442Member
    Nope, they generally like it and like you! It's good, I've done it quite often. Once you find a good teacher, stick with them if you can.
  • jphasejphase NJ/NYPosts: 1,500Member
    I think it's good to take classes with the same professor. That way, if you need recommendation in the future, that professor is someone who can possibly give you one.

I think he would feel good if he had the same student take different classes that he took. It's probably telling him that he knows how to teach or you like how he teaches.

• AznBettyAznBetty New YorkPosts: 1,903Friend of Soompi

ROOKIE

i doubt they care. but sometimes they wind up singling you out, which always bugs me. image

i think ive probably taken the same professors just twice. but mostly cuz they were the only ones teaching the course, not cuz i wanted them loll
    "않보이는데 있지말랬잖 아!!!"

- You're Beautiful -
  • feliniusfelinius seattle, wa / sacramento, caPosts: 1,607Member
    QUOTE (stymie @ Mar 11 2009, 05:48 PM) »
    I’ve taken 3 different classes with the same professor so far and I’m planning to take more with him. The professor is the type that remembers his previous students and he remembered me. Do professors get annoyed or suspicious if the same students take them many times or do they not care at all?

What’s the biggest number of classes you have taken with the same professor? Are the professors fine with it?

I keep ending up having my adviser for my health classes ... not really, um, a good thing since I skip out a lot, LOL. They don't usually care. image

But if you become close enough with them they can write you a letter of recommendation for graduate school or scholarships.
    FELINIUS'S .... shop (now trading!) ---- requests ---- cyanDEV (blog)
  • pochaccopochacco I am a guy... bay areaPosts: 598Member
    I've take the same professor twice, and teh second time he remembered me. I think they get flattered if you liked them enough to get another class with them.
    clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick
    clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick
    click
  • darcyausten86darcyausten86 USAPosts: 238Member
    I had the same professor for 3 english classes and he remembered me. It's good, because you have an idea how much homework he gives and how he grades exams. So you have an advantaged then the other students in the class.
    "I throw de cards. De cards go boom! End of bad guy. End of story." - Gambit (X-treme X-Men #09)
  • toxic-appletoxic-apple Posts: 638Friend of Soompi
    I took the same professor for math twice! She's awesome!! I now remember how to solve every math that she taught without any memorization!! It's good for you to sometime taking the same professor twice because you can later ask them for a recommendation letter for almost anything. They also know you well enough to write a sincere letter.
  • latiana2003latiana2003 get off of my runway!! TexasPosts: 535Member
    if anything the professors is flattered that you want to take more classes from them.
    I've taken classes with one professor about 4 or 5 times. He was a hardass, but I learned a whole lot under him and he always pushed me to go beyond what i thought my abilities were.
    Visit My Art Portfolio Site: Click Image Below
    visitme.gif
    My Big Bang Grfx || My DBSK Grfx || My Design Corner
  • agnuqueagnuque South KoreaPosts: 4,487Member
    I've taken the same professor for the same class 3 fcking times. Ugh.
    I'm finally glad I'm over it.

• MannosukeMannosuke Posts: 12,735Member

SUPERSTAR

edited December 2009
    No choice here, cause we lack faculty staff in general. I had the same prof for three different courses in the same term. Kind of sad.
  • x kisekiboshix kisekiboshi gingham Posts: 1,502Member
    They'd definitely take it as a compliment. Plus, they get to know you even more and can write you recommendation letters when you apply for grad/law/med school. I'm trying to take a course next fall semester with my writing teacher because she's freaking amazing.
  • Lady VioletteLady Violette My Pashion for Fashion CHINA-town xDPosts: 1,467Friend of Soompi
    edited December 2009
    I've done that with one professor because she is the best! I took a 200+ students class with her, I'm currently in her smaller class (~40 students) and I'm going to be her Teaching Assistant for a different class next semester!! I think it's great to take the same professor more than once especially for a wonderful recommendation letter image
  • xdanceonx3xdanceonx3 Posts: 372Member
    Professors don't care, why would they? If anything, they would be flattered that you took them again. I love taking the same professor for another class because i already know their format and their style of teaching so i know how to work through the class easier image
  • i/boss/topi/boss/top V 253Posts: 2,729Member

IDOL

i guess it would depend... for me i go to a small private catholic university with less than 1100 undergrad students... so unless you're taking a class to fulfill your major requirements most likely you'll have the same professor at least once every semester if not more~ but if you go to a larger school.. then unless its a course for your major it could be a possibly that he thinks its weird?
    http://forums.soompi.com/discussion/357431/between-two-worlds-ft-top-yoobin#latest uconfuseme_dolcee.gif
    fan fic by farorange//blinkie by dolcee.//icon by cutevietluv12
  • denniscakesdenniscakes Posts: 254Member
    I think the teacher would feel great that you actually want to take them again, provided that you didn't just play around in their class previously and slacked off. I'm taking my English teacher again next semester and she is GREAT. One of the best writing teachers I've ever had.
    twitter / tumblr / fouroneone / formspring
    Talk to me, I don't bite. (: PM me for AIM/MSN.