Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Extracting Wisdom Tooth Can Lead To A Slimmer Face?

TeebeeFriendTeebeeFriend soompi forumsPosts: 40Member
friend told me this....
My friend told me the facial structure can change if you extract the top 2 wisdom tooth? Like if your face was a bit rounder, it can be more oval cause the width of the faces gets smaller? is that really true? I never heard of this before.....wouldn't extracting teeth be part of plastic surgery then?? does the cheekbone itself gets smaller in width and you lose that bump or something?
Overrated

Replies

• PearlgirlPearlgirl She sure is whack! UCDPosts: 512Member
    edited January 2009
    It depends on how your teeth are aligned. For most people, their teeth are aligned in this parabolic manner:

If your teeth jut out more (having a wider parabola shape) then it is possible that removing your wisdom teeth could reduce the size of the lower half of your face. The same could be said about braces. For me, the removal of wisdom teeth reduced the width of my face but braces caused my jaw line and chin to be rounder. I used to have a rather pointy chin.

For most people, wisdom teeth extraction will have no significant effect on their facial structure.
  • carrotcakecarrotcake Tokyo, JapanPosts: 1,335Member

IDOL

Iunno if its my imagination or not, but I got an "extra' tooth removed from my teeth and ever since then I've had this weird "dimple" on the top of my cheek when I smile ==;;~ So it might be true, but I'm not sure.

I think Pearlgirl's explaination is better. Probably also explains why my face looks chubbier now that I have braces image.
  • e77iee77ie Posts: 41Member
    i agree with pearlgirl! it depends on how your wisdom teeth are aligned.
    i got all four of mine removed b/c they were underneath the gums and growing forward (towards my chin)
    so my chubby cheeks are still chubby. haha ^^;;
  • xstarBURSTxstarBURST no. somewhere in a box.Posts: 4,724Member

IDOL

I had a lot of my teeth removed due to my braces and I haven't noticed a change in my face.

But, depending on your dentist and how it's coming out....extracting wisdom teeth = $$
  • yongwonhiyongwonhi ????`` USAPosts: 2,122Member
    edited January 2009
    QUOTE (e77ie @ Jan 28 2009, 11:54 AM) »
    i agree with pearlgirl! it depends on how your wisdom teeth are aligned.
    i got all four of mine removed b/c they were underneath the gums and growing forward (towards my chin)
    so my chubby cheeks are still chubby. haha ^^;;

yupyup! my wisdom teeth were impacted (growing sideways instead of up) so if i didn't get them extracted i would've had manyyy problems later on. but that's not the point. xD it didn't change my face shape because.. well they were growing forward haha. i don't think it'd be considered plastic surgery. unless you consider removing any teeth plastic surgery...
    watching; | reading; jb + wttu + eom + lm + ss

credit: {livejournal} sunhae, hengxing, kachei13
  • TeebeeFriendTeebeeFriend soompi forumsPosts: 40Member
    QUOTE (yongwonhi @ Jan 28 2009, 03:51 PM) »
    yupyup! my wisdom teeth were impacted (growing sideways instead of up) so if i didn't get them extracted i would've had manyyy problems later on. but that's not the point. xD it didn't change my face shape because.. well they were growing forward haha. i don't think it'd be considered plastic surgery. unless you consider removing any teeth plastic surgery...

so it if grows forward and impacted the gums, then it won't make a difference

BUT if its growing normally, then the cheeks get smaller, is that what you're saying??
    Overrated
  • chromexheartchromexheart Posts: 78Member
    hmmm I'll have to get back to you on this. I'm getting mine out in a few weeks, and since my face is pretty round, it'll be easy to tell if it becomes slimmer or not, I hope.
    I'm scared of the pain though. ;____; horrible experience at the dentist a few years back.
  • desertrose1290desertrose1290 Posts: 172Member
    ah I just had my teeth out and it slimmed my face only because one of my teeth grew out towards my cheek until it scrapped it making it swollen.

also, slimmer face may be due to not being able to eat after the surgery haha.
    若しも あなた が 淋しい 時に
    ただ そばにいる こと さえ できないけど
    泣きたい 時に 苦しい 時は
    私 を 思い出してくれればいい

facebook::livejournal::tumblr
  • ecstasyecstasy Posts: 56Member
    ^hahah i agree, days/weeks of eating mush =X

the point of removing wisdom teeth is usually so that your jaw shape does not change, since when wisdom teeth come out [17-25 years old], you've usually already had braces, etc.
    even if the teeth are growing normally, if you remove them, there will just be a gap in your gums, unless you get braces to shift your whole jaw back again..

all in all, i doubt it will be that much of a difference, and all for a slimmer face?
    if you haven't had braces though, then you could talk with your orthodontist: my ortho decided to pull two of my teeth and shift my jaw back along with braces; i guess that could help achieve a slimmer face?
    can't really tell though, i still have cute cheeks --;;
  • o1honeyo1honey TorontoPosts: 2,146Member
    some people do.. but it doesn't work for every.

Same thing w/ braces.. it makes people's faces slimmer
    but all in all.. i'm GUESSING that your face would slim down cuz during your "healing" period you can't eat anything but soup =P

therefore
    wisdom tooth extraction = weightloss = slimmer face LOL

.. i kinda want my wisdom teeth out now O_o jks jks
  • angelairshowangelairshow The States.Posts: 358Member
    I don't think it will make much of a difference.
    Wisdom teeth are removed because there isn't room for them to grow in.

And your face definitely will not be smaller the first day image
    Some people look like chipmunks.

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.
  • Babylicious xo12Babylicious xo12 ...???? NOVAPosts: 2,650Member
    i'd see it more as when your wisdom teeth come in..your face gets a little wider. then when you pull them out, they get slimmer..but its your normal face size x_x
    Shop like-new clothing, beauty products, bags, hair accessories, jewelry, stationary & more.

&& they tagg me...image
  • ngarkyngarky Posts: 653Member
    REALLY?! OMFG
    maybe after the swelling...ur face slims down image
    that'd be great :3
  • thuathua Posts: 915Member

ROOKIE

Lol. I doubt it. The only real slimming you'd get is because you can't chew food after the extraction. And also when the swelling goes down, but that doesn't really matter because your face was slimmer before the swelling anyway.
  • xmikixxmikix ?? Posts: 414Member
    Yes! For a couple years I was trying to figure out why my face has completely changed. And seriously...after i got my wisdom teeth out (i had extensive surgery done because it was so bad...) my face shape changed completely...losing heaps of weight also contributed to this as well.
    立立 + 美琪 = <3
  • Se3kSe3k Nurd xP NetherlandsPosts: 288Member
    If so...
    mine should come quicklyy image
    so i can get them extracted
    my face is pretty round image
    >=[
  • ulzzangholiculzzangholic ukPosts: 12Member
    Maybe for caucasian faces but not for most rounder faced asians.

I did get my wisdom teeth extracted and i was hoping for the same result, but when i asked the dentist if it would be possible for me he showed me the xray of my jawline and how the teeth were within the muscle tissue of the jaw. if i wanted a slimmer face i would have to have my jaw Shaved.

So it depends on how thin your cheeks are...

T_T
  • Rik-URik-U MontrealPosts: 307Member
    Like ulzzangholic said, that kind of "side effect" usually happens to caucasians...

A lot of my friends got their wisdom teeth extracted and their face looked slimmer after. I don't know if it's because they had to survice on liquid foods for a while and lost weight but I guess it could happen.

h a l l e l u j a h c h a n c e
    [blog]

• Tutu LoliTutu Loli Ominous Circus &#9829;Posts: 451Member
    How interesting, but I'm pretty sure the reason why your face gets slimmer is because it hurts too much for you to consume food when you pull out your wisdom teeth.
    OMINOUS.ⓖ'sтylê².CIRCUS
  • kikkiekikkie Girl. L.A., CaliforniaPosts: 1,808Member

IDOL

I thought that it gave a person more of a hollow under their cheekbones. Taking out a few teeth can't change the structure of the bone.