Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you know that SoompiTV now has "We Got Married," "Dad! Where Are We Going?" and "Infinity Challenge" with subtitles? ^^v

I Found Out I'm Lactose Intolerance! Not Food Posion

Replies

• thuathua Posts: 915Member

ROOKIE

"Almost 100%" of asians is a stretch.
  • obscuremirageobscuremirage Posts: 50Member
    If you are lactose intolerant you can have sorbet or yogurt ice cream. And it isn't 100% but it is high up there. I remember learning it in one of my anthropology classes, however, I do think that most people who have a minor lactose intolerance just ignore it. Upset stomachs, gas, diarrhea can be symptoms. However "dairy products have also been linked to acne,anemia, anxiety, arthritis, add, adhd, fibromyalgia, headaches, heartburn, indgestion, irritable bowel syndrome, joint pain, osteoporsis, poor immune function, allergies, ear infections, colic, obesity, heart disease, diabetes, autism, Crohn's disease, breast and prostate cancers, and ovarian cancer."(Skinny B**ch There is a list of sources in the book, and I have heard that through other health forums as well.

But I think people need to really analyze why do we drink milk?? Is there a need to? Vitamin D? Go out side in the sun for 15 minutes it's the same as a cup of milk. image Although the book aims the individual to eat healthy and steer away from meat, junk food, caffeine and diary, it does do a good job of showing the interest groups in each category. I think they make a good point about milk though so here is a quote from the book..

"Mother Nature is no fool. All species, including ours, have just what we need to get by....We don't need our mothers' milk as adults, just like grown cows don't need their mothers' milk anymore. We are the only species on the planet that drinks milk as adults. We are also the only species on the planet that drinks the milk of another species. We could be putting gorilla milk on our cereal or having zebra milk and cookies. Why cows' milk? Using the animal that produces the larges quantity of milk but is more easily housed than an elephant means more money for farmers." (Skinny B**ch)

I think it puts things into perspective. I used to drink every morning in my cereal for breakfast or dip cookies in it, but I could never drink a glass of milk. I didn't like the taste. I went to India for two weeks and while I was there I didn't have any milk at all and my acne cleared up even when I came back, as soon as I stopped ingesting dairy my face cleared up. I know that I am lactose intolerant even though I went to the doctor last time for a test and they just drew blood. But it isn't the end of the world, you can still drink it if you want, have pizza, ice cream or whatever but it may hurt your stomach later. You can drink soy or rice milk but you don't have to, it is really just a "liquid" and not milk but it gets sold better that way. If you like ice cream you can switch to sorbet.

Being an anthropology major in college I learned a lot about different traits in certain regions especially sickle cell and lactose intolerance. Actually most people are lactose intolerant to a degree, but they just don't think they are. Another thing to point out you can get most of your vitamins and minerals from fruits and veggies, the only one you will miss out on is B12 if you cut meat out of your diet. image SO you are not alone~ there are plenty of us that are lactose intolerant out there! image
  • maolingmaoling Posts: 88Member
    Humans don't need milk after they are weaned. Cow milk is designed to get a tiny baby calf to about 5000 pounds in a short period of time, not feed humans. Asians never drank milk and they were fine, just because some Western "Got Milk?" ad says so, they don't need to drink it.

Before milk was introduced into the asian diet, girls started their periods around 16 or 17. Now the age is about 12.

If you are arguing for the calcium in milk, you can get plenty from broccoli and other vegetables. In fact the high protein content in milk is said to leech calcium from your bones. :<
  • angel_cutieangel_cutie candyfallPosts: 5,020Member
    sometimes when im late for school i drink milk and get tummy aches T___T
    (1 cup..and after few seconds it would hurt)
    but only for awhile.
    so is that a symptom??

but i can eat ice cream .__. and cereal with milk.. maybe cuz i have food already?? or cuz its not "pure milk" =PP
  • obscuremirageobscuremirage Posts: 50Member
    QUOTE (maoling @ Jan 27 2009, 09:03 PM) »
    Humans don't need milk after they are weaned. Cow milk is designed to get a tiny baby calf to about 5000 pounds in a short period of time, not feed humans. Asians never drank milk and they were fine, just because some Western "Got Milk?" ad says so, they don't need to drink it.

Before milk was introduced into the asian diet, girls started their periods around 16 or 17. Now the age is about 12.

If you are arguing for the calcium in milk, you can get plenty from broccoli and other vegetables. In fact the high protein content in milk is said to leech calcium from your bones. :<

I have read that in many places too, about calcium. Which is scary since that is what everyone advertises milk for! And the age of American girls getting their periods and hitting puberty is getting lower and lower. It used to be between the ages of about 12-16 was normal for a while. However, because of the hormones and antibiotics in milk and meat there are now girls as young as 6 years old getting their periods because of it. >.< I agree veggies contain everything you need image

"angel_cutie" That is a sign of it, but it might change as you get older with your cereal and ice cream. I take a bite of ice cream and feel sick within a few minutes.
  • CinCinCinCin Posts: 259Member
    I've drunken a cup of milk every morning an night since I was three years old. And I work at Dairy Queen and eat lots of ice cream. I am not lactose intolerant, or I think I would know image
  • angel_cutieangel_cutie candyfallPosts: 5,020Member
    QUOTE (obscuremirage @ Jan 27 2009, 06:12 PM) »
    "angel_cutie" That is a sign of it, but it might change as you get older with your cereal and ice cream. I take a bite of ice cream and feel sick within a few minutes.

NOOOOOO!!!!!!T__________________T
    that sucks cuz i love ice cream
  • x3lindax3linda Posts: 137New Member
    Wikipedia says that only 20% of asian americans are lactose intolerant. Can't imagine my life without dairy products though. I love milk and cheese and ice cream too much. I drink milk every morning and night x)
  • iotaiota Posts: 1,081Member
    I don't think it's really "nearly 100%". O_o

I'm not lactose intolerant, but my brother is ... it's pretty mild for him though, he can eat cheese, ice cream, milkshakes, etc. and other dairy products, he just can't drink milk.
    1 | 2
  • MelitusMelitus A+ canadaPosts: 2,081Member
    QUOTE (CinCin @ Jan 27 2009, 09:17 PM) »
    I've drunken a cup of milk every morning an night since I was three years old. And I work at Dairy Queen and eat lots of ice cream. I am not lactose intolerant, or I think I would know image

Funny thing how I found out I was lactose intolerance...
    I went to DQ order a large strawberry cheesecake Blizzard as breakfast image.
    It kicked in after an hour...diarrhea all day. Went to the hospital to get my colon flush out.
    I lost like 5 pounds!!!
    I can still eat icecream, cheese and all the yummy stuff. My body is just decreasing it's lactase production.
    If you get gassy after ingesting dairy...it maybe a sympton. DQ will never be the same again, however i did order a pizza + poutine today lol. oh..the cheese...
    se sono rose fioriranno
  • jiyoung05jiyoung05 Posts: 221Member
    I am and I have grown to learn to use other replacements for milk.... such as soy milk or lactate free milk! Which is yummier than the normal milk that I drank.

I kind of like it because I can skip out on some yummie desserts my friends eat when i am out with them. So I can have a few bites but probably won't want to finish the whole thing... good way to save money! =) lol
  • hamdainvinciblehamdainvincible ☆ constellation Seattle, WAPosts: 2,578Member

IDOL

As a kid, I had slight symptoms but my favorite desserts often had dairy,
    so I'd sneak some dairy and sometimes got bad stomach aches,
    I hadn't had ice cream for a while and it seemed like I stopped having dairy,
    until after a basketball game my sis and her friend brought me to get some
    ice cream and then i headed off to the mall with parents and BAM,
    i blacked out in the mall, and was sweating like heck. 0__0 horrible experience.
    and now and then, even with lactaid meds, i'd have horrible stomach aches.
         and I'm feeling high high, yesterday's depression... bye bye.
  • sixth.sixth. ? Posts: 3,575Member
    i love my dairy products.
    i'm probably one of the only ones out of my friends who aren't lactose intolerant.
  • Shikabane HimeShikabane Hime Posts: 2,093Banned
    No, but I refuse to drink milk, which makes it seem like I am lactose intolerant despite the fact that I eat cheese.
  • colloquycolloquy Yes, I am a woman. FloridaPosts: 3,886Member
    I don't like drinking milk, but I love ice cream. I've never experienced any lactose intolerance, I think it may be because of my white side.

For my mother... yeah, I think that it may get better overtime. She's Asian, and as child she was lactose intolerant, but now she can eat dairy products without a problem.
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. | formspring
  • sayuri43sayuri43 Posts: 3,910Member
    I didn't realize I was lactose intolerant until about a year ago, but I get massive bowel movements if I drink a lot of milk -_______- SIGH
    RETROvirus Shop / Status / Requests
    Current addictions: Makbanshi, SHINee's Hello Baby, Shin Dongho
  • trishaa01trishaa01 Posts: 2,495Member
    I'm one of those Asians with lactose intolerance lol.
    i just can't drink milk on an empty stomach.
  • vip_gdvip_gd Forever VIP HKPosts: 11,243Member

IDOL

edited January 2009
    100%?
    not true
    i am that 0.00000000000001% who is not lactose intolerant
    i mean .. i like chocolate milk and milk as an ingredient but
    i don't like drinking milk like .. straight from the carton
    i guess i just like flavor

• bbei23bbei23 BillK ??? <3 Posts: 277Member
    wow..nearly 100 % o_o
    im not one of them lol YAY image just because i love cheese image''
    sig violation
  • ichigo_no_powderichigo_no_powder VancouverPosts: 4,632Friend of Soompi
    QUOTE (<3goesDOKIDOKI @ Jan 26 2009, 07:40 PM) »
    is it really nearly 100% asians?
    that sounds rather unlikely.
    im asian and im not lactose intolerant

same here and out of all the people i know only one is lactose intolerant (I'm not even sure if she is 100%)
    imageimage