Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret That The Cosmetics Industry Does *not* Want U To Know!: All Ur Skincare Products Coul

EdwardCTVEdwardCTV Hollywood, CAPosts: 619Member

ROOKIE

edited August 2009 in beauty & fashion
---UPDATED 5/24/09 w/ Soompi Success Stories + My Own Personal Regimen
please be sure to read this entire post before asking questions or commenting!
image image image image

Before anything, this method has changed my life

what i am sharing with you is something that the skincare industry does not want the consumer public to know, because if more people knew about this then there would be billions of dollars lost.

The caveman regimen is not only good for your skin, but good for your overall health and well being. chemicals are never good. even some plant extracts that claim to be natural skincare are not good for you.

i know many ppl are wondering if i am speaking from experience..... "oh i bet you always had nice skin image ". no that is not true.

my skin was so bad before. (when i say before im talking about like all throughout highschool) which is the worst time to have bad skin becasue hello....girls...prom..

if you saw how good my skin looks today you would not believe that my skin used to be so bad that i literally would not leave the house it was that bad. grocery store? forget about it. social events? never. i hid in my house.

i was so down and out...having good skin is very important especially when you are in such close vicinity amongst your peers ...during school i would hide in a hoodie/baseball cap. thinking back i wish that iw ouldve known about this while i was in highschool.

this is what my skin looks like these days:

http://www.youtube.com/EdwardCTV

most of all i achieved this with ZEROOO chemicals no benzoyl peroxide (which by the way is really bad for your health and your skin) causes free radicals and premature aging, and trust me ur wallet will thank u for this method

Soompi Success!!

success stories from soompiers who have tried out this regimen:

(feel free to pm me if youd like your pictures posted underneath your story)

*ick* i can no longer quote ive reached the maximum so now ill just b adding success stories without the quotes image

---UPDATE 5/13/09

Ickboo:

i've been washing my face with cold water splashes for about 3 months now and it's been really great!!! i used to have bad break outs, but now i just splash some cold water on my face morning and nite, pat some toner on, and gently put spf moisturizer on and i'm good to go! and don't forget to PAT dry your face!

now my face isn't oily OR dry. my skin just feels smooth. needs a lot more TLC before my scars are gone tho. but i'm sticking with this method for life!

Leah:

I've been using the natural method for a week now and I've seen a difference in my skin. I've always had these annoying blackheads all over my nose since I was 11 and nothing worked. Now they are almost completely gone. I'm quite happy with that. My skin is much brighter and smoother.

Angel_Cutie:

so for few weeks i used nothing at all
and my skin got a lot smoother and softer i think..

AnthonyKkokko:

remember me?
LOL
IT WORKED!

BUAHAHAHAHAHAAH!
*walks confidently*

___LOST:

when i read this i decided to "ease off" on my products. not exactly like the regime, but a modified version. i still use cetaphil, but i don't use toners anymore. i also exfoliate with aveeno's skin brightening scrub (i can't find anything about it's pH level, but it's never made me break out or make it all flaky or whatever) & whenever i get the (very) occasional pimple, i only use 2.5% bp.

right now i am acne free & super-duper happy. laugh.gif like i said, the only thing i use is cetaphil & the scrub. i do moisturize, but my skin doesn't really need it.

overlyexpressed:

his thread was one of the many inspirations for my science fair project! After more research, it's true that a lot of products on the market is really bad for your skin. Most products are bases and act like soaps, which effectively strips your acid mantle and kills the bacteria responsible for the acidity, staphylococcus epidermis.
Acids are a lot better for your skin, which is why just using water (caveman regimen) actually works. Tap water is slightly acidic. In addition, I actually tested vinegar on my skin for two weeks, and it made me skin really smooth and clear.

Good luck with everyone's acne problems! Hopefully you'll all either follow the caveman regimen or find a face wash that is pH balanced - you can always test its pH levels using red cabbage juice or litmus paper. I also suggest doing patch tests with your products!

aashtivi:

:]

I tried the caveman regimen for a week, and my skin was incredibly clean and acne-free!!
unfortunately I use makeup on a daily basis (that week I didn't use any makeup) and to remove it, I have to use cleansers

but if you don't use makeup daily, I highly suggest using this!

phishy:

This regime has worked for me, my skin is less oily and my acne has calmed down alot!! even my mum whose been giving all these products over the years says theres a big improvement in my skin ^__^

a (personal) update from BL!NG!:

EdwardCTV has already added me to soompiers' success stories.. but I promised to post again when there's any progress...

so.. I've been following this regime for almost 2 months now.. since 18 or 20th of Dec 2008 till now 16th Feb 2009...
if you read my story before you'll read that my skin got better.. and it did (it was the the silence before the storm!).. but then when I continued with the same way my skin became dry and pimples started to occur one after the other... one would show up then die then the other one would show up in other place.. and they were oily pimples (sorry to gross you) they would have white heads.. i thought this regime won't work for me so I came back to this thread again and read few soompiers experienced the same thing.. then I read that it's normal and that the skin will get worse before it gets better and regulate itself.. (I think zantac_2 said it somewhere here, I can't go through the pages now lol)... so I gained more confidance to continue the regime...
I havn't applied any mosturizer since I started till now.. and I can really tell that I don't need it now! I think my skin started to regulate itself pretty well.. the texture is softer right now (I would post pics but I didn't take a before pic, but I'll try to find and old pic of me then take a pic of me now)...
so starting from the 2nd month.. pimples stoped from accuring... it has been now almost 2 weeks that I havn't experienced any breakouts biggrin.gif and it's.. semi-clear now I think! lol
but still suffering from the dark pimple marks/scars... with these marks my skin would look clear! laugh.gif

^sorry to make it long, but I thought soompiers might want to know what happens when you continue with the regime smile.gif

MANY THANKS again to EdwardCTV & zantac_2.. their posts were very helpful laugh.gif

P.S: Ignore if you find any spelling or grammar mistakes, I'm not fluent in English sweatingbullets.gif

SML13:

omg ive been trying this regime.. AND IT WORKS !! w00t.gif

Ruthie08

ive been doing this regime for more than a month now...and i say its working fine well i should say awesome with me. during my first week i still had some breakouts but for the rest of the weeks, nothing! never had a single breakout after and my skin is less oily. dang i should have discovered this long time ago!

acne treatments like neutrogena, clinique and DDF made it worst!

Scarlet:

i've been on this for about three weeks now. my skin used to be really, really nasty and greasy and the breakouts were crazy. now my skin is softer and a lot clearer. no more excess oil seeps out of my pores and my super bad acne scars are fading. thanks so much for this regimen! GO CAVEMEN! xD

Aoichana:

Well Well Well!

Thanks for introducing this regime to soompi...
(or at least bringing it up)...!

I used to have like breakouts...nothing too bad...
but it could've been better. I was kinda skeptic, but
it really really works...like what the other people are saying.
Well...Actually, my skin took a little bit longer to adjust
but after 2-3 weeks my skin cleared up and I have
soft skin. WOW. And, it's so much easier too.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH.

-

AznDubs:

edit: my skin cleared a lot though from using this regime biggrin.gif my previous scars faded and the previous redness is completely gone. I got a whitehead yesterday morning but it killed itself in a matter of a few hours (:

I read about a rough timeline on the acne.org threads (that I've linked below), and basically: to fully recover to at least 95% or so, takes a full 6 months. This won't work overnight -- that much is a given. It takes about 6 months of complete un-damage (that is, applying no topicals) for your skin to regenerate fully from the deepest layers of dermis. If you think that's a long time, I agree. I think it's long too. Especially if you've just bought a new bottle of cleanser or lotion. Still. Chin up and stuff. Plus, I really like washing my face. There's something refreshing and gratifying about it.

1st month: most dramatic and gratifying improvement. You'll feel like your skin is really going great/strong and recovering really well
2nd-4th months: The purge period as the deep embedded stuff starts coming up. I don't know how this affects people who have gotten deep-cleansing facials or other stuff to help purge their skin. But apparently this is the most difficult part of this method.
5th-6th months: Your skin has finally gotten the balance, or something close to it. Pimples come and go easily and quickly as your skin has finally managed to clear out the damage that was previous wrought to it.
note: this is paraphrasing the gist of what I read -- and I hope I got it right -- because I can't find the exact post right now. But they're in those Acne.org threads that I provided. And sorry to disappoint, but you're probably not going to see a miraculous change in just 24hrs, and if you do, it's probably mostly psychosomatic (the mind tricks you into seeing physical things about your body that aren't really there). The 2nd month is when the pain really begins.

HuanLe:

This really works!
I started using just water a long time ago, before I found this topic, and my face cleared up...

Once my skin got dry, and I put on some lotion, and now the pimples are back a bit...

It really helps not to use anything but water, lol.

papasmurf:

WOW...JUST WOW, i've never noticed it, but i used to have acne on my forhead and now it's less noticeable, it's still there, but a lot of bumps are diminishing, BUT DAMN I HAVE THIS STUPID PIMPLE LOCATED CLOSE BY THE SIDE OF MY EYE brow, but oh well it's working so far =]

BoaFriend:

Alright Edward CTV, I think you can add me to the success stories.

My skin had really been a lot clearer and what's more, I'm not getting any of those tiny clogged pores anymore.
Any dirty crap just comes up as small whiteheads that go away within a day or two. Any pimples that may come up go away within 2 days. Really amazing. I really hope this keeps up! Thank you so much for all the insight and help!

Delianna:

HAHA, i am finally back !
I have a successful story ! woot !

After using this regiment, my skin actually is (starting) to clear up !
Although I still have the frequent pimples that come up, my face is still 10x better off with water than those products I use to dump on my face all the time. Before switching to this method.. my face was oily, i had pimples on my chin, forehead, and above my lip (gross, i know) . Now, I only have 1-2 SMALL pimples on my face that you can rarely see. My face is still not perfect because I have some scars due to those stupid products ruining my face when I had acne. When the pimples came, they go away within a day or two.. biggrin.gif but before... they were.. always there.. on my face sad.gif But reaally.. after 2 - 3 weeks of doing this, its starting to work.. wait, it does work !
This is like a miracle o___________o, My skin hasnt been like this for about two years !
Thank you SOO MUCH!! WATER FTW !

- Delianna

PS: PROACTIV, does not work T_T tried it .
I'm glad I did this !

Defy_theordinary:

do the "caveman regime" as well~
every night and every morning i just wash my face with water
ive done so for the last few years and i rarely have acne/pimples unless i sleep super late or dont wash my face
i only use pimple treatment for those days i dont sleep and get a really tiny pimple or something
maybe its a combination of that and my genes
my skin looks good a lot generally and i dont use any products not even soap

just try it out guys and see if it works for you!!!

oh and remember to drink lots and lots of water!!

Riceythu:

Works wonders. biggrin.gif

True everyone's different. but This helped me.

I wash when I feel dirty. After working out. I wash if I can. Morning and nights and if i sweat alot I wash.

--UPDATE 2/10/09

LovelyDesire:

I did this over in the holiday
the caveman regime it worked because I didn'thave to like put so many products on my afce
>_>
i stopped it and started using another product
and my face has red marks urgh and Im getting a few spots coming
I think i might switch back
grrr

I've been doing this for about a month now and I've never had a real pimple pop up since. By real, I mean the hard, red ones. I had a small red bump forming on the side of my nose and today it's already going away.

Yeah, people interested in this regimen - GIVE IT TIME. Your skin is bound to react a little bit when you start this regimen. My skin got pretty dry by the 2nd week but it's a lot better now. You have to give your skin time to adjust.

Strawberrychuu:

i'm already noticing a difference.
my pimples literally dry up faster.

and my skin is pretty clear right now

NCLY:

i think it's already been about a month since i started this

my cheeks area are definitely getting better
and my face is not dry anymore hehe
and i don't get big pimples like before anymore
sometimes i do get a few on my forehead, but they are small
and they go away pretty fast

--UPDATE-- 1/26/09
(A WHOPPING 8 MORE additions since the last additon!)

Delianna

HAHA, i am finally back !
I have a successful story ! woot !

After using this regiment, my skin actually is (starting) to clear up !

Although I still have the frequent pimples that come up, my face is still 10x better off with water than those products I use to dump on my face all the time. Before switching to this method.. my face was oily, i had pimples on my chin, forehead, and above my lip (gross, i know) . Now, I only have 1-2 SMALL pimples on my face that you can rarely see. My face is still not perfect because I have some scars due to those stupid products ruining my face when I had acne. When the pimples came, they go away within a day or two.. but before... they were.. always there.. on my face But reaally.. after 2 - 3 weeks of doing this, its starting to work.. wait, it does work !
This is like a miracle o___________o, My skin hasnt been like this for about two years !
Thank you SOO MUCH!!
WATER FTW !

- Delianna

PS: PROACTIV, does not work T_T tried it .
I'm glad I did this !

BoaFriend

Alright Edward CTV, I think you can add me to the success stories.

My skin had really been a lot clearer
and what's more, I'm not getting any of those tiny clogged pores anymore. Any dirty crap just comes up as small whiteheads that go away within a day or two. Any pimples that may come up go away within 2 days. Really amazing. I really hope this keeps up! Thank you so much for all the insight and help!

JackalPupz

I'm trying this "caveman" regiment. I never had really bad acne but my skin would always have a slight redness and be dry from all the chemicals I used. Then I would have to put moisturizer on everyday. When I did get a few pimples, they were the big kind that took forever to go away, I hated that! Its been 4 days now with ONLY water and nothing else, and so far so good. Redness is starting to go away, skin is very dry right now though. But that is expected until my skin gets adjusted. I'll report again after a few weeks.

PapaSmurf

WOW...JUST WOW, i've never noticed it, but i used to have acne on my forhead and now it's less noticeable, it's still there, but a lot of bumps are diminishing, BUT DAMN I HAVE THIS STUPID PIMPLE LOCATED CLOSE BY THE SIDE OF MY EYE brow, but oh well it's working so far =]

HuanLei

This really works! I started using just water a long time ago, before I found this topic, and my face cleared up...

Once my skin got dry, and I put on some lotion, and now the pimples are back a bit...

It really helps not to use anything but water, lol.

XxiaomEI

Hm, I've been doing this regime for about a month now and my skins gotten a bit better, less pimples at least

What I do is wash my face with Cetaphil every night with just warm water...thats it.

QUOTE (Soapp @ Jan 10 2009, 11:45 PM)
I don't remember how long i've tried/done the caveman regimen but it works so well!
My skin is clearer, brighter etc. (I wear less make up too! it's been decreasing like mad and now I don't plan on buying a new foundation once the one I have is done~) I'm also doing the vegetable soap thing to clean my hair/body etc. and it's working amazingly as well too.

most people don't believe me when I say I only use water for my face, soap for my hair/body and I don't use toothpaste to brush my teeth (yaha! it sounds gross but really the only thing I lost is the minty aftertaste/breath tooth paste gives me)

So...sucess sucess sucess! Go caveman regimen ! Beautiful bright clear skin!

Ever since I was around 15, I started to have terrible acne all over my skin! I was aware of how the industries were marketing their products, each year they release a new item as they add crap loads of chemicals that are known to be harmful for the skin. Yet, I still buy them hoping to find a decent product that would ease down my acne...I've tried tons of products from expensive name brands (such as Clinique,Proactive and etc) to over the counter products(Olay,Clean & Clear, etc). My old skin care regimen was to use Cetaphil and then Bio Oil it worked best for me, but I was still getting break outs.

I hestitated at first to use JUST water...but guess what? Your advice made a MAJOR difference on how I take care of my skin. It was drying at first, but overtime my skin has improved with just a little bit of spot treatment. This is my 3rd day, my pimples are gone and no more oily skin!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!

QUOTE (shouyguang_21 @ Jan 11 2009, 06:11 AM)
Originally I had posted that I didn't think that the caveman regime could permanantly get rid of pimples, but I was wrong.
After a month on the regime my skin is now completely clear and I only had one hormonal pimple that disappeared after a day. This method is really working and I'm glad I gave it a chance.

name='sakuradollie' date='Jan 10 2009, 08:47 AM' post='12156258'
I just wanted to say thank you so much for the advice that you have been giving out. Ever since I was around 15, I started to have terrible acne all over my skin! I was aware of how the industries were marketing their products, each year they release a new item as they add crap loads of chemicals that are known to be harmful for the skin. image Yet, I still buy them hoping to find a decent product that would ease down my acne...I've tried tons of products from expensive name brands (such as Clinique,Proactive and etc) to over the counter products(Olay,Clean & Clear, etc). My old skin care regimen was to use Cetaphil and then Bio Oil it worked best for me, but I was still getting break outs.I hestitated at first to use JUST water...but guess what? Your advice made a MAJOR difference on how I take care of my skin. It was drying at first, but overtime my skin has improved with just a little bit of spot treatment. This is my 3rd day, my pimples are gone and no more oily skin!!! image THANK YOU THANK YOU!

QUOTE (kyung mi @ Dec 22 2008, 11:01 PM) »
it has been a week and my skin is so much better. pimples are almost all gone skin a little dry but im much happier.
this really worked!

thanks for starting this thread and alerting me and many other people! image

QUOTE (BL!NG @ Dec 22 2008, 12:34 PM) »
really really thanks for posting that topic... <3
I used to have a very clear skin b4 then started to have skin treatments that I didn't need then it got worse...
when that happened I freaked out.. so I used everything and they just got worse and worse..
so after I read your topic days ago... it sounded very interesting to me... but I didn't want to post immediatly.. I wanted to give it a try..
so I started the "cavemen regimen" as soon as I finished reading your post... and few days later... everybody noticed the difference in my skin!
ofcourse it was a short time for my skin to be clear.. but yeah it got much better... tho I didn't tell anyone about this.. but they said "Hey, what happened! your skin is getting better now".. that made me sooo image HAPPY!.. lol ;P

THANKS VERY MUCH
I'll continue with the same way.. hopefull my skin will get even much better... image
God Bless <3

I'll post later if any more progress happened..

QUOTE (flowoftime @ Dec 22 2008, 11:00 AM) »
I been using water only for 1 week.
i wash sometimes in the morning..sometimes at night..sometimes only when i take a shower

i had a major breakout before i started this, that was painful and ugly as hell.
after not using any product for 3 days, the breakouts killed themselves o.o
they are gone now

this regimen is amazing, thus far i have no negative reaction to it.
my skin before this i would say was EXTREMELY oily.
like greasy after 2 hour.
i had to use oil blot sheet twice a day.

now..
not oily at all..
i havent had skin like this since i was 12.

QUOTE (TayLov @ Jan 2 2009, 11:33 AM) »
Thanks alot for the advice Edward. I've had acne since freshmen year but it started getting worse beginning of senior year. I've been using acne products on my face for as long as I've had acne, granted I never used any religiously but enough to alter my skin complexion. Then due to a lot of time in the sun, coupled with the stress of senior year, my acne became even worse this year and I've been trying everything to get rid of them; bp, sa, acv, and others but to no avail. I just recently read your topic and tried out just water for this entire week. And dude I can see a huge difference already. I initially thought that just water would leave my face oily and shiny looking, but its looking fine and it looks as if I wash it with a cleanser just like normal. I've woken up the past few days to see no more new acne, and the whole process of washing my face with water three times a day takes about 2 minutes tops. I know people may be wary to take a departure from acne products, but just try it out, if it isn't for you then the only thing you've done is let your face manage itself normally without stripping it of the oils you need. I'm going to keep doing this and the only other thing I'm adding in is taking some vitamin c supplements which will hopefully contribute to better looking skin.

QUOTE (Skyz @ Dec 19 2008, 02:24 PM) »
Anyways I convinced myself it was alright to go on the "caveman regime,"
a couple days ago, I gotta admit this is working for me so far xD
I have really oily skin, but that stopped after I stopped moisturizing.
And my blemishes seem to heal on its own pretty fast all I use in the morning and night
is Cetaphil gentle cleanser, no moisturizer or anything.

QUOTE (de_lusion @ Dec 18 2008, 06:38 PM) »
I've been trying this for about two weeks,
using cleanser only when i need to take my makeup off and i tone after that but thats the only time i use those two. the rest of the time when my face feels oily or whatever, i just rinse it with water.
and my skin has been noticeably smoother and softer and less red toned.

i used to also have oily/bumpy skin on my forehead and right now, its pretty much gone. =D

im super happy! going to keep doing this! =]

but i think im going to go and try to get a better makeup remover, maybe a cleansing oil?

QUOTE (shouyguang_21 @ Dec 28 2008, 04:23 PM) »
I've been doing this for about two weeks now, and i would say that it won't result in a pimple free face but it is better than using cleanser.

When i used cleanser i would get many cystic acne pimples every few weeks.

Right now i just have little bumpies on my forehead and chin.

here's my routine:
in the morning i wash with water and then apply sunscreen

at night i use cetaphil...to take off the sunscreen....(this depends on whether i take a shower that night)

once a week i do a scrub like asprin or sugar...

QUOTE (flowoftime @ Dec 19 2008, 07:42 PM) »
too busy to do this method? seriously ? image
the whole point of this is to NOT use time/money on the skin.

It is scary SCARY to see how my skin is without any product!! its sooo dry and soo damaged.
but it is healing SO quickly, i cant beleive my eyes!!
when i get a pimple, it will pop and kill it self within like a day or two instead of a week.

Ima see if i can continue this for a month ;D

QUOTE (situponatree* @ Dec 15 2008, 09:16 PM) »
oh I think I do this lol.
I am way to lazy to stick to a skin care routine
so yeah. I just wash my face with water.
and I consider myself as one of the lucky
ones with good skin. my friends are always asking me
what I use and stuff..and I just tell them I wash my face with
water lol.

QUOTE (x byul satang @ Jan 2 2009, 10:29 PM) »
the "caveman" technique really does work! i have always used only water to cleanse my face and many people say i have good skin. i only use shiseido toner and lotion on my face each night. other than that, i cleanse my face every morning and night with just water. of course, i do get acne sometimes, but it's much less than when i was in high school (when i used to use many cleansing products on my skin)

with more and more success stories updated weekly!

How can you achieve skin successs too AND save tons of $$$$?

well read!

Have you guys realized that in third world countries or in places where people do not have access to the billion dollar skincare industry their skin stil looks fine granted they dont spend hours and hours in the sun? (sun damage is greatest cause of skin aging)

Have you also noticed that prior to the " anti acne skincare" explosion , acne was not that big of a problem amongst the population.

well i found that alot of acne products or just skin products in general can aggravate or worsen the condition of your skin.

When i was studying for pre-med i also dabbled in dermatological studies and human skin has a natural barrier and pH level called the acid mantle.... normal healthy skin has a ph of between 4.5 and 6

In our the late teens to early 20’s, our acid mantle is well developed and provides good protection against potentially harmful, external environmental factors.
During this time...our skin usually looks healthy, heals quickly when injured and seems to take care of itself.

With increasing age however, the skin’s pH becomes more and more neutral (ph of 7) As outlined above, the skin’s pH is important and maintaining a slightly acidic pH of around 5.5 is critical.

The skin’s pH value is one of the major contributors to acne and other skin problems. Propionibacterium acnes is a bacteria that normally lives on the skin and is a normal bacteria found in all persons regardless of the presence or absence of acne.

However, in individuals prone to acne, the number of P. acnes is greatly increased. It has been found that the growth of this bacteria is very much dependent on the pH value of the skin and its growth is at its minimum at the normal skin pH of 5.5. A slight shift towards the alkaline pH would provide a better environment in which it can thrive. , and thus more susceptible to bacterial growth. This reduced acidity kills fewer bacteria than before, leaving the skin susceptible to bacterial growth and infections.

So what does all this mean?

welll....CHECK the pH of your cleanser and other skincare products. lots of cleansers out there have a pH of 8,9,10 etc. very alkaline and this can disturb ur natural skin's pH (reember its best to leave ur skin at a natural ph of around 5) slightly acidic

ur skin has a natural ability to adjust the pH but if u john tesh with it too much it can throw things into haywire.

sometimes the best thing to do for ur skin is the caveman regimen and just let it regulate itself.

Currently im almost product free. no cleansers no moisturizers i just rinse with warm water to open pores and cold water to close the pores.

Once a week i will use a chemical exfoliant like a bha or aha or a physical exfoliant scrub to slough away dead skin cells and that night only i will moisturize....
then i will go for a whole week with just water on my skin.

if ur having skin troubles i suggest u try this "caveman" regimen and just leave ur skin alone and let it regulate itself because u could be doing more harm than good
by messing with the pH level which alot of acne oriented products tend to do!

some additional tips if you must use skincare products:

#1 don't use soap. Too alkaline and it strips your "acid mantle" (comprised of your own skin's oil and sweat) This is the skin's first line of protection. Even soaps that have the words "dermatologist recommended" cannot be trusted. *coughs, Neutrogena, coughs* I have pH tested these and found them to be the same pH as your toilet bowl cleaner.

#2 do not use a toner with alcohol. Alcohol is another agent that strips the skin. It is used mostly to remove any traces of cleanser left on the skin. However, cleansers that leave a residue on the skin are gross anyways. Stay away from any mineral oils, petrolatum bases and lanolin inside your cleansers. Most professional cleansers are formulated to be removed completely with water, so these aren't an issue.

#3 Double cleanse your skin. (if u put lots of things on ur skin llike girls who wear make up cant realy do the caveman regimen) Use an oil-based "Precleanse" from Dermalogica to liquify sebum, sunscreen residue, pollution, and long lasting makeup. (DHC olive oil cleanser is also a good one) Rinse, and remove. Follow with a pH balanced (4.5-5.5pH) cleanser specific for your skin type and condition. (remember, skin type is DIFFERENT from your skin condition. For more info on this, check out Dermalogica's website) Usually, creamy cleansers are going to be for a skin that isn't producing enough oil of it's own (DRY skin) Gel based foaming cleansers are going to be for someone that has enough oil production or an excess amount of oil (COMBO-OILY)

#4 In my opinion, cleansers that have alpha or beta hydroxy acids that "claim" to be exfoliating are pulling your strings. A cleanser isn't on the skin long enough to really perform this function. Also, the pH would need to be really low and acidic (3.2-3.5pH) for the acids to work properly, and in most cases, it's not.

#5 Avoid cleansers with artificial colors and fragrances. These are the ingredients that cause sensitivities in the skin. Also, high concentrations of some preservatives can cause irritations, so be careful on that.

Expect to pay anywhere from $20-$30 for a good cleanser. Cleansing is the most important part of your skin care program. (organic products will cost more due to the fact that the process is more expensive)

some things to check out for those asking for reccs

Dermalogica: Precleanse, Special Cleansing Gel, Dermal Clay Cleanser

update 5/13

i keep reading the same questions over n over such as (grrr are ppl reading?) image

can i wear make up while on the caveman regimen?

the answer to this is technically no the whole point is so u can get to a point where u wont have to wear make up on your skin..
but if you must wear make up try to do it sparingly (like on special occasions) and if you do wear it make sure u clean your skin

u cannot do "water only" if u wear make up! if u wear make up. might i suggest a very cheap cleansing method called the OCM method.
oil cleansing method which is part castor oil (cleansing oil) and either jojoba/sweetalmond/olive oil mix. for more info on OCM go to
http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com this is the cheapest and most natural way. (i personally sometimes do this as well, and i love it , it works gr8)

can i wear sunscreen?

once again, the whole point is not to put anything on ur face, but if you are in the sun alot then of course u should take measures to protect your skin. but again if you are putting sunscreen on your face u cant just do "Water only"

the biggest problem ive noticed is ppl sayign this method doesnt work but then we find out that they ar eputting all sort of crap on their face and not taking proper measures to take it off.

OCM will work for sunscreen too

can i exfoliate?

as i stated before. yes, but do not over exfoliate. make sure when u are exfoliating that its spherical exfoliators instead of jagged (like crushed walnut shells which is what they use in that apricot scrub) which can irritate ur skin.

ok anymore questions please ask from this point on and i will try to answer to the best of my ability
(im sure other members will help too) image

*edit* 5/24/09

just as a note because some ppl are misinterpreting the thread as saying that u absolutely cant use anything on your face. that is not what the regimen is saying. the regimen is saying basically 3 things

1.) do not succumb to the pitfalls of skincare marketing (ie them telling u that u need to moisturize/cleanse 2x aday, use toner, blah blah blah, etc. and that u need to combat acne with oil free and benzoyl peroxide and salicylic and chemicals, etc.)

2.) pay attention to your skin's pH level. healthy skin is slightly acidic, the acid mantle barrier of the skin protects it from bacteria, if u strip ur skin all the time and make it alkaline u are literally making bacteria easier to breed on ur face.

3.) LESS is more.

here is my current regimen
my regimen begins in the evening

1.) step 1 i do not wash my face with anything other than water. *well kinda read my last step for elaboration
(over cleansing the skin and thinking that u HAVE to wash your face with harsh cleansers day and night is not good for your skin as it throws the ph level of ur skin into wack and causes all sorts of other issues with sebum production...theskincare industry obviously wants u to wash 2x a day b/c then that means u wil have to buy more product. do whats right for u this is what works for me)

2.) step 2 when i wash my face with water i make sure that i clean it very well, its not just a "pat and go" type deal. i hold the shower head to my face for about 5 minutes sometimes i use the little massaging pulse that comes with the shower head, its good for blood circulation in your skin. i only use lukewarm, not hot water. hot water is very irritating

3.) when i get out of the shower depending on how my skin feels. if im in need of moisture then i will very generously apply jojoba oil , first i massage in circular motion then i pat.

4.) i do not blot the excess off

5.) in the morning i simply rinse off with water, no need to use rigorous clenasing methods (i mean i was in bed all night) and im good to go

*now for face washing, once a week or so i WILL use a gentle cleanser and/or a physical exfoliant to slough off dead skincells.

as u can see i practically do not use anything on my face and its working very well much better than having to use a 3 step system twice a day eveyr day of the week such as clenziderm

skin is healthier and less chemical exposure and most of all clenziderm is like $110 for a one month supply? water & jojoba oil averages out to be like 5 bucks a month

this is the brand i use image

its organic 2

in the evening i rinse very well with lukewarm water (never hot) i hold the shower head to my face for about 5 mintues sometimes i use the little massaging pulse

after my shower while my face is still damp i very generously apply jojoba oil and first i massage then i pat

miwarifoukauferatreyu

Replies

• taiwanpridetaiwanpride fragile h e a r t s * Posts: 2,107Member

IDOL

This is really helpful!
    I've recently been breaking out, and once I went to sleep with just washing my face instead of putting on my nightly moisturizer.
    In the morning my skin was better than it usually is, though I thought it was because maybe the moisturizer was clogging my pores or something.
    And where do we find out the ph of our skin products?
    I only wear moisturizer so I can have some spf
  • auroralbutterflyauroralbutterfly 408 CAPosts: 1,932Friend of Soompi

ROOKIE

edited December 2008
    How do you check the level of pH...?
    pH levels aren't labeled on skincare products.

It will be hard to follow the "caveman" regimen since I wear some makeup. Water doesn't remove all traces of makeup :x
    Using something slightly acidic at the end of your routine will bring the pH level back up a little.

• EdwardCTVEdwardCTV Hollywood, CAPosts: 619Member

ROOKIE

QUOTE (taiwanpride @ Dec 13 2008, 07:26 PM) »
    This is really helpful!
    I've recently been breaking out, and once I went to sleep with just washing my face instead of putting on my nightly moisturizer.
    In the morning my skin was better than it usually is, though I thought it was because maybe the moisturizer was clogging my pores or something.
    And where do we find out the ph of our skin products?
    I only wear moisturizer so I can have some spf

even though some moisturizers say non comodogenic they can ultimately still clog your pores

some moisturizers can be non comodogenic when left on their own but everyones skin is different some produce sebum oil at different rates and some shed dead skin cels at different rates and all of this combined even with a non comodogenic moisturizer can ultimately be comodogenic.

what r u currently using? if u just stop using everything for 2 weeks you will notice that ur skin will become dry and flakey within the first couple of days but after a week or so use a physical exfoliant lke a gentle scrub to get rid of all the dead skin and u will see that underneath ur skin wil look alot better and u most likely wil not have had any breakouts.

spf is very important to avoide sun damage but if u hav problematic skin u can skip spf and just stay out of the sun.

u can find out ph levels by using a ph litmus paper. chemistry shops (like at ur school) will have them or u some pet stores sell litmus paper (for fish tank ph levels but u can stil use it on ur face products to test the ph)

orr u can just go online and buy "ph testing paper skincare" google somethign like that

QUOTE (auroralbutterfly @ Dec 13 2008, 07:49 PM) »
    How do you check the level of pH...?
    pH levels aren't labeled on skincare products.

It will be hard to follow the "caveman" regimen since I wear some makeup. Water doesn't remove all traces of makeup :x
    Using something slightly acidic at the end of your routine will bring the pH level back up a little.

many skincare products do label but ur right most do not

in that case you can use litmus paper (see my response above)

and since u cannot use the caveman regimen since u wear make up. what u can do is just pay close attention to the ph level of ur products.
    using something acidic will bring the ph level down.

remember lower number is acidic

higher is alkaline

u want ur skin to be slightly acidic .

glycolic acids which are chemical exfoliants for the skin work best at a ph level of 3 or 4. sometimes u will see alot of products with glycolic or salicylic acid but they are useless because the ph is all off.

• slynnslynn Washington statePosts: 429Member
    Thanks for posting this image

It's funny- I'm afraid of doing the "cavemen regimen" (haha I like that name) because I'm afraid my skin will look worse... but it looks horrible now (acne breakouts all over) and I've always used tons of products. My brother only uses water, and his skin is perfect.

I will give it a try.

ROOKIE

QUOTE (slynn @ Dec 13 2008, 09:08 PM) »
    Thanks for posting this image

It's funny- I'm afraid of doing the "cavemen regimen" (haha I like that name) because I'm afraid my skin will look worse... but it looks horrible now (acne breakouts all over) and I've always used tons of products. My brother only uses water, and his skin is perfect.

I will give it a try.

if ur skin is really bad now u should give it a try. u have nothing to lose

and about ur brother thats exactly what im talking about! haha

m sure all of us know friends or family members who have perfect skin and u ask them "what do u use?" and usually they will be like "huh? use what?" and then u gotta b like "u know face products!!" and so many of them say "oh nothing i dont use anything" and ur just so completely baffled because here you are using hundreds of dollars worth of Richard Simmons and ur skin looks like crap and they dont spend a time and have nice skin

• shouyguang_21shouyguang_21 USAPosts: 434Friend of Soompi
    what do you use as sunscreen? and did you oily or combination skin to begin with? i have a sister who never needs to wash her face and only because she has normal skin that never breaks out.
    Shop url: http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123900; Avatar credits to: MizzNana Signature credits: Alexis Summers
  • ly*cheely*chee ?????? somewhere over the rainbowPosts: 1,397Friend of Soompi
    edited December 2008
    Omg I used to do this :x [but with sunscreen]
    And I had really nice skin T_T
    People would compliment how smooth and soft, and clear it was..
    But then I got one semi big pimple... my parents started freaking out....and put me on the "spend alot of money on acne treatments that dont work" regimen.
    Now my face is a mess... :x
    I'll have to wait until I finish school to start this again...so no one can see my messy face then XD;

Thanks for the tips though : D
    Made me remember >< what made my face better before.
    Cos-trauma

[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][+3]....I can't find the rest =S
    +12 ~0 -0
  • xxDemi91xxxxDemi91xx Posts: 348Member
    What about people whose skin gets really dry if they don't moisturize?
  • auroralbutterflyauroralbutterfly 408 CAPosts: 1,932Friend of Soompi

ROOKIE

edited December 2008
    QUOTE (EdwardCTV @ Dec 13 2008, 09:05 PM) »
    using something acidic will bring the ph level down.

remember lower number is acidic

higher is alkaline

u want ur skin to be slightly acidic .

glycolic acids which are chemical exfoliants for the skin work best at a ph level of 3 or 4. sometimes u will see alot of products with glycolic or salicylic acid but they are useless because the ph is all off.

Ohh. Haha. Shows that what I've learned in Chem in high school has gone down the drain.

Interesting facts.

• mineforkeeps.mineforkeeps. Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,153Member
    edited December 2008
    I absolutely agree about the importance of pH levels! I've learned a lot about it since dealing w/ my skin problems (teenage acne and now adult, hormonal acne, combo-oily skin and blackheads).

Here's just some things to add:
    For those asking about how you find out the pH of your product - yes, you can use litmus paper, or you can contact the company ask them image. Here's a link I've come across that lists the pH of some common cleanser http://www.dianayvonne.com/category/11.thephofcommoncleanser.

Also, here's another site that has some really good info on pH http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewt...d.php?tid=18360. One hint they give to noting what pH a product has is that some products say "pH balanced", but that only means about neutral (pH ~=7) and a good cleanser has a pH of 5.5 or lower.

Unfortunately, I've tried the "caveman" regimen and w/ the issues I have, it's definitely not for me lol, but I've made sure my products are at a proper pH image.

EDIT: Another link (PDF) I want to add: http://www.clinicalbasicskincare.com/ComedogenicIngred.pdf. Comedogenic ingredient list - this is very helpful when looking at ingredients! Take note not all things listed as an comedogenic ingredient or irritant will effect everyone, they are just common to the general public.
  • centriccentric lulz wut? Southern CaliforniaPosts: 1,452Friend of Soompi
    You don't have to keep using the asterisks, there's a swear filter that'll turn profanity into another word automatically. XD like the b word to pinkberry.

And yes yes yes to pH levels! It really does help to know how you're messing with your skin's natural balance. I use a cleanser that is in line with the natural pH level of the skin and it has really helped out my complexion. Where before my skin was constantly dry, even if I always hydrated and applied moisturizer, my skin is now soft even without the moisturizer. I hate the feeling most cleansers give, the super squeaky clean feeling. :x

• angel_cutieangel_cutie candyfallPosts: 5,020Member
    edited December 2008
    what about sunscreen though??
    does that effect the pH level??
    is it ok to put it on your face..because it seems so oily to me ._.
    would it be bad to put that on if you have combo or oily skin??

what are some good ones??
  • la foliela folie Posts: 4,346Friend of Soompi

IDOL

Omg pH and litmus paper! Definitely reminds me of grade 9 haha.

I don't know if I can stand the oiliness on my skin when i wash my face with water..

• xbambooxbamboo Florida, USAPosts: 1,511Member
    edited December 2008
    I was just reading an article in Cosmo yesterday that said the use of many different facial products can weaken our skin's natural ability to fight off bacteria and heal itself.

During winter break is going to be a good time (2 weeks) to stay away from makeup & etc.!

I still need to wash my face with some kind of cleanser though, because like the person above me, my skin type is oily ;x

• PrincessBoaPrincessBoa ? Honey-chan <33 ? In Tamaki&#39;s heart :)Posts: 2,142Member
    I completely agree. My skin has started getting relatively bad since grade 7 now..since I've started having bangs and such. I've tried many products since then..but only got MORE breakouts! >< I eventually gave up..since I was tired of spending so much money yet, making my skin all worse. ): Then one day my mom asked me if I ever checked the pH levels of my products..and I was like no, why? And she explained everything you just did =)

I realized that all my stuff had a pH of higher than 8! >< So I did the cavemen rigemen, just drank more water...and now- my skin is pretty much clearer, with the occasional few pimples every now and then >< image

-PrincessBoa
    fanfic:
    Behind The Fake Scintillating Eyes

blog: <a href="http://princessboa.blogspot.com" target="_blank">http://princessboa.blogspot.com</a> (beauty blog : D )
  • kuriimuchiizukuriimuchiizu Posts: 108Member

ROOKIE

So soap and water is enough to keep my skin healthy?
    Can we still go with organic methods like coffee scrub, egg white mask, cucumber eye press?
  • SUPERSTARSUPERSTAR Posts: 2,300Member

ROOKIE

edited December 2008
    ^no, no soap, just warm water!

and this is all scientifically true, you need to give your face time to heal itself, that's NATURAL!

Not a lot of people think about how many chemicals are in facial products, or any products for that matter, including food itself. I mean if you think about it, do you really want to put all these chemicals that you can't even pronounce on you =X

And now come to think of it, my roommate doesn't really wash her face or body with soap. I didn't understand why, I thought it was dirty not to use soap. She used to use body wash but this year I saw that she didn't have any for herself in the tub, and she never really used that much soap for her face either. But she does put on a lot of make up though so I think she only uses face soap when she showers but other then that no. And she has good skin!

Also I have a question, would stress affect the pH balance of your face? I break out more than usual when I'm stressed and studying for midterms and finals, and don't get enough sleep along with that! I'm sure others here can relate! Also is there a particular physical exfoliator I could use? For feet they have a foot scrub but def do not want to use that.

I'll try this since I'm on winter break for three weeks!
    MISS A FANCLUB!
    I'M ON YOUR SIDE JAY PARK

ROOKIE

QUOTE (SUPERSTAR @ Dec 14 2008, 04:57 PM) »
    ^no, no soap, just warm water!

and this is all scientifically true, you need to give your face time to heal itself, that's NATURAL!

yea no soap. some soaps are ok but many drugstore soaps have a high alkaline ph

im not sure about the link between stress & ph

QUOTE (xxDemi91xx @ Dec 14 2008, 01:28 PM) »
    What about people whose skin gets really dry if they don't moisturize?

is ur skin truly dry or have u made it dry with all these years of harsh products?
    theres a big difference if ur skin is truly dry then moisturizing shoudlnt cause ur skin to breakout

but if u are dry b/c of all the harsh products u might still breakout from moisturizer

if u try the caveman regimen for 2 weeks ur skin will feel very dry in the beginning but it will regulate itself
    it will get flakey and then after the flakes come off ur skin will be normalized

• Lily.Lily. Posts: 976Member
    how is the caveman regime working for u so far?
  • kimikimi Grand LinePosts: 213Member
    What about moisturizing to prevent future wrinkles?