Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Is Worse On A College Transcript? A "w" ? Or "f"?

vstacey820vstacey820 Posts: 11Member
Please help! Thanks!
Which is worse on a college transcript? A "W" ? Or "F"?

My friend's boyfriend is having trouble deciding whether to take a "W" or a "F" for his accounting class this semester. He plans to transfer, so that's why he can't decide. He is trying to get into a business school because he wants to major in accounting.

He says that if he withdraws from his introductory level accounting class, his gpa will not be affected. However, he is afraid that if he has a "W" on his transcript, business schools might not accept him at all due to his withdrawal. On the other hand, he is trying to make sure that his gpa does not drop below a 2.5.

Which is worse on a college transcript? A "W"? Or "F"?

Replies

• ronmexicoronmexico NYCPosts: 1,017Friend of Soompi
    An F is almost certainly worse, but how can he be sure he'd fail at this point? And out of curiosity, why does he want to major in accounting if he's going to fail an introductory accounting course?
  • purityisredpurityisred Posts: 47Member
    Uh, an F is worse. I personally don't think a W will really matter.
  • LZ1LZ1 Posts: 39Member
    F is worse, of course.

W's are pretty much okay, as long as you don't have a million of them.
    1~2 W's are perfectly fine as far as I know, 3 might be ok depending on what you're studying.
    3+ and it starts to look very very bad.
  • tofu plushietofu plushie Posts: 3,172Member
    I would say having an F would be much worse. As long as you don't have more than 2 W's you should be fine.
  • nanstarrrnanstarrr ★24 USAPosts: 3,990Friend of Soompi

SUPERSTAR

almost the same sicne W ...mostly imply that you probably wont' pass the course anways, but GPA wise, the F is worst it can drop the GPA lots depending, and on the other hand, getting a W won't hurt your gpa at all.
  • vstacey820vstacey820 Posts: 11Member
    According to my friend, she said her boyfriend did very well in his accounting classes as a sophomore and junior in high school. My friend also said that her boyfriend really enjoys the accounting class he is currently taking, but he just was unable to do well on the midterms.

Thanks for all the replies, please keep them coming.

Thank you in advance.
  • clazziQueclazziQue Posts: 85Member
    edited November 2008
    I'd say the F is worse. I think having one (or 2) W is okay since sometimes people are forced to withdraw from a course for personal reasons (health/family/etc.), not necessarily because they're failing. As long as you don't have like 5 W's, it should be fine.
  • Tamago86Tamago86 世も末フゥ~!! Posts: 3,560Friend of Soompi
    I'd say F because it actually affects your GPA
    My Japan Blog (with adventures in Thailand!) Link goes to entry below
    Entry=<Adventures in May - Dolls, Anpanman, Guinea pigs!!>
  • lilkrazeqrllilkrazeqrl NYPosts: 1,042Member
    Of course F. I've recently dropped a class too and I would rather have a W then a F because it'll affect my GPA a lot.
  • HtyPotterHtyPotter Posts: 973Member

ROOKIE

It looks like it's pretty obvious that the W is better.
  • losborrachoslosborrachos Posts: 2,170Member
    F is worse because it affects your cumulative gpa. on the other hand, there are legitimate reasons for getting a W where you wouldn't necessarily fail the class even if you didn't drop it.
    you are not what you write on your signature...
    you are not the picture on your avatar...
    you are not your bloody post count...
  • PrivodevatPrivodevat CanadaPosts: 404Member

ROOKIE

An 'F' is way worse than a 'W'.
  • sillymeboysillymeboy Pennsauken, NJPosts: 532Member
    edited November 2008
    If you get an "F" or "W" you would have to retake the subject anyway, but a "W" is better since it doesn't affect your gpa.

-edit- Find out if your school has this or anything similar. In my school, for the first 12 credits that you take if you get an "F" you can retake that course and they give you the higher grade of the two. They won't average it out but they will simply give you the higher grade. If this is the case, he could just take the "F" so he can advanced to his other classes and simply retake that course later to replace the "F"
    Regards,
    . . . . . . . Sillymeboy
  • ProtProt 5354 NYCPosts: 666Member

IDOL

edited November 2008
    In the end, you just have to explain this to your first future employer. After that, nobody cares about your transcript. But yeah in your scheme of things, it would be best to take a W than an F if the chance of getting an F is higher than being able to pass.
  • kilaalaakilaalaa Posts: 941Member
    How can your whoeverheis know that he will get an F?

Sure whoeverheis did badly for midterm, but maybe other people did badly too.

But if he is sure that he will get an F, then a W is definitely better.
  • vstacey820vstacey820 Posts: 11Member
    QUOTE (sillymeboy @ Nov 18 2008, 01:46 PM) »
    If you get an "F" or "W" you would have to retake the subject anyway, but a "W" is better since it doesn't affect your gpa.

-edit- Find out if your school has this or anything similar. In my school, for the first 12 credits that you take if you get an "F" you can retake that course and they give you the higher grade of the two. They won't average it out but they will simply give you the higher grade. If this is the case, he could just take the "F" so he can advanced to his other classes and simply retake that course later to replace the "F"

thanks for the advice. he told me that our school takes the average of the two grades.