Japanese Companies

Guest Sam-chan

Guest Sam-chan
Can people help compile a list of Japanese entertainment companies?
Hi guys, I wanted to start a thread for Japanese entertainment companies. I don't know if there already is one or not, but I wanted to create a list of companies and contacts with your help so it'll be easier for us to send out our demos and stuff. Also I'm not familar with the process of becoming an entertainer in Japan so if people could also share their wisdom on that it'd be great! All information is appreciated ^_^

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Hello! Project

Check my sig.

__edit. nvm, I'll just post it. I was being lazy. But yes, there was already a thread about this back in Jan. Other people posted up good information so you should check it out.

Auditioning in Japan;;

1. Labels of Interest. Avex (largest independent entertainment agency in Asia), Sony Music Japan, Victor Entertainment, Pony Canyon, Epic Records, Rhythm zone (sub-label of Avex)

2. Agency of Interest. Stardust, Sky Corporation, Johnny's Jr, Oscar Promotion, Pro M, Ken On, HoriPro, Sweet Power

001. Sony Music Japan International Audition has already held the international audition once, and if you look up the group Amplified, you'll see that they were the winners for 2005 year. Since then, they did another audition, but no details have been released, there isn't even a deadline, because that page has been up since the beginning of last yr. You don't have to speak Japanese, Amplified's 2 albums were in English and the wonderful staff translates there blogs to Japanese to please the fans of Japan.

002. I just got back from Japan and I went to the Avex building *stupidly* and basically you can't get in without an appointment. So I would suggest anyone in Japan, make an appointment. Even if you have to lie about the reason just so they can give you one. Because waiting for the 08 auditions will drive you insane. You see me, right? But luckily I did get to meet a worker of Avex and we talked as we went back to Shibuya station and he gave me his e-mail (which I cannot give out, so do not ask)..

003. Is talent have as important as looks? Nope. But I'll take that statement back, some companies, especially smaller ones do care about the quality of the artist but mainstream as we know it in Japan is relying more on faces and no talent, especially foreign ones. If you could book one tv spot on a variety show, you could be well on you way to singing the theme song to the show and then releasing your first single 2 weeks later, with no Japanese skill require. Its actually pretty sad.

004. Should I already be famous? Yes and no. If you are famous for writing a comical celebrity bashing blog, then you already have fans, which in essence makes it easier for you to look famous when it comes time to release some real music. Leah was a race queen/gravure idol pre-overnight famousity (my own word, yes), Nesmith did all kinds of stuff before the big Exile Vocal Audition and me....well, I'm doing various stuff like singing my heart out and odd hours at the karaoke bar and keeping my witty sarcasm up, I already have legions of fans over 80 and tone deaf.

004. If you honestly want to audition for the companies, you really should send your own material! That means hop on that place you (or I ) hate so much--myspace, and go find some people with some good music, arrange a contract and head to the nearest studio or stay home and record it yourself. If you truly have the talent, your songwriting skills will come naturally. If you don't think you have what it takes to write a song, let alone in Japanese, I've got a ton of songs written, in English, Japanese and Spanish. We could make a contract because I'm all about networking.

005. Japanese skill. I wouldn't audition in America if I knew I sucked at English, so I wish people would understand not to audition in Japan if your Japanese is below par. That means not being able to understand a song in Japanese sung to you just once. And not being able to understand the morning news in Japan. It may be something you love, believe me, I love Bollywood just as much as the next person but I know I'm not going to try to rush to India and sing in Hindi only knowing 5 phrases. We all can't be Leah Dizon. Some of us just don't have that "good look" factor that can make up for our unskilled Japanese/English/Hindi. You can love the music, the language and country all you want, but no skill, or atleast no quick learning skill (BoA, DongBang did it. Leah is not doing it.) then I say you retire back to good ol' America and come back to Japan in 5 years.

006. Crush. Crush. Sadly but truly, dreams will get crushed, it is unfortunate. My dream got deflated when my mom didn't let me audition for the school of the arts, but it didn't stay deflated because if i went to that school, i wouldn't have moved to Atlanta, met my boyfriend, have him send me to Japan and be pregnant and have him still pushing me toward my dream of singing. So I hope everyone will go forward with their dream! Nice comment of the day.

007. Where to start? Japan would be best (plus theres this great magazine in Japan called Audition, I have the Jan issue which if I could get the damn scanner back, I would so scan for everyone) but for those who just can't get there and are stuck in the middle of nowhere you can use my lj to find the address of almost all record label and talent agencies in Japan. It has the celebrity address, but all you have to do is replace it with the agency name and you're good to go. You need to send demo tape, 2 photos, full body and head shot and audition form.

008. Later.

Gotta go out now, shop shop shop for baby stuff.

--H!P

008. No where on audition does it say this audition is just for Japanese people, if that was the case, there wouldn't be artist like Younha, Leah Dizon, Stephanie (half Armenian-American, half Japanese), SunMin, Nesmith (half-Japanese, half African), Yuna Ito (half Korean, half Japanese), Crystal Kay, JERO, Becca....so technically they are not asking you to be Japanese but either reside in Japan (hence the reason why they ask for your nearest station) or have Japanese skill. But that doesn't mean you can't just put an American address where they ask for what is supposed to be a Japanese residence.

009. The magazine Audition is basically to 1. Aid in finding companies and auditions and 2. Help you build a nice audition packet. Audition even has a little audition form sheet where you can see what will most likely be on an audition form like name (plus furigana which is the reading if your name can be written in Chinese characters. You do not have to have a kun reading to put your name down, if you are Korean and can write your name in Hanja, do that BUT you have to use the Japanese reading. If your name is in English or anything like that use the Roman characters and in the furigana section but your name in katakana so Japanese can read/pronounce it). Next to it is your sex, bloodtype, they want your e-mail, sign, birthdate, birthplace (which they already prepare you to write a place in Japan hence the ____-fun and ___-ken), they want phone numbers, height, weight, 3 sizes (bwh), shoe size, desired genre (singer, actor, comedian, artist, model, talent, other), schools you've attended, band members if it's a band, permit, history like if you did any cms, tv work, etc. You also have to provide your audition desires, favorite school course, respected person (Angelina Jolie, Ayu and my mom^^), favorite sport, hobbies, favorite talent (Becky!), special skills (Multi-lingual is a plus), favorite tv show/movie, favorite book, favorite book/music(ian), self intro, siblings and their info and parental consent.

010. If you are ify about trying to past all your foreign information in, then you always have option B which actually is the smarter alternative. Have an agency already. How do you think Leah Dizon and Stephanie, natives in America got famous in Japan? They had someone representing them and paying for their travel expenses. It's a lot harder to represent yourself to record labels, most of them wont even give you the time of day,s o if you really have talent, acquiring a talent agent wouldn' be much trouble. But where to start? Well I looked that up to, Sky Corporation that has Leah Dizon as well as other foreign-born, Half, and just plain out Foreign talents may be a good option. Also Stephanies talent management which the name has eluded at this moment is definitely another good option. Even agencies totally geared to Gaikokujin talent would be so good but they usually want you to already be in Japan, but atleast they speak English for you, and they'll do all your bookings (one Arashi pv and your on way to being a Johnny's Jr! =O)

I'll get to scanning as soon as a certain obnoxious roommate decides he wants to give it back! >_<

And I'll continue wantsonce I get some food.

--H!P

008 was in response to someone. I guess I'll add more later. As usual, gotta get some food. I guess I'll come back with less sarcastic and more helpful info, I guess.

Guest Sam-chan

^OMG Hello! Project you are amazing! I didn't think anyone would reply to my request so fast! You gave some great information, I'm assuming if we google the companies we'll get their websites and contact info.

Also I went to the Cannes Film Festival 2008 and I got to meet with some people from Avex and Tohei. They gave me their business cards and we had a fun converstaion. Would it be alright to send them a sample of my work i.e. song sample or monologue?

Also what age is considered too old to be an entertainer? I've noticed most Korean companies stay away from people in their 20's and older? Thanks again to Hello! Project and anyone else who has information!

Guest ventura

Also what age is considered too old to be an entertainer? I've noticed most Korean companies stay away from people in their 20's and older? Thanks again to Hello! Project and anyone else who has information!

Mostly only teen idol companies want thier people in teens, because beauty and especially youth are big things in attracting the desired market. You could be talented as heck but if youre old :/ Anyways, once you pass the early 20s you can't be considered a real idol star anymore because of the physical maturity versus youthful cuteness. But otherwise, i think 25 or around early 20s would be the age many singers are. I mean just because idol companies have auditions doesn't mean others don't exist. Even in Korea there are SOO many well known 'older' artists like Clazziquai, Loveholic, Kim Jong Kook, SG Wannabe, VOS, Brown Eyes, etc. Dont give up hope~ Honestly, many companies would be reluctant about accepting talent older than that because by 25 look what Utada Hikaru and other top stars have done. They've sold hundreds of thousands of records, huge fan bases, mulitiple albums. So the younger the better. Even Hyori and Namie Amuro who are in thier 30s started out pretty young in the first place. Many failed singers or talents who are just too old (for the company, meaning usually they aren't 'old' at all ^^) leave the biz or become staff members helping out younger talents. Thus why many in entertainment lie about thier age.

I think you'd be surprised at how easy a short stint in Japan is for a pretty face. Gravia modeling for example employs many non-natives (like Leah Dizon). They get famous...if you want to be 'famous' in that way.Many girls start out trying to break in the business that way (Dizon again, Erika Sawajiri, etc.) but can't say thats really the best way to estable LONGEVITY and RESPECT as somebody with REAL TALENT (cuz Leah don't get no respect for sure and Sawajiri has an attitude problem which undermines whatever real acting skills she does have).

Go for the big respectable companies and establish your talent. Learn the language fluently, "when in Rome do what the Romans do", ya know? Dont be another pretty face gaijin who tried to break into the biz but was forgotten in a couple years. To be honest, yeah, Stephanie, SunMin, Alan, etc. are known but they're not big. Theyre one of many singers in Japan who aren't really famous but are noticed and still trying to break into the big bucks mainstream. They don't even sell above 10,000 records and in the end it doesnt matter what your ranking or fanbase is, its the sales. Entertainent is a business first and foremost.

Sony, Avex, Toshiba EMI, Pony Canyon i feel are more established in terms of turning out serious artists. Like Hello!Project said, a pretty face can get you a 5 year stint in Japan, a couple albums, moderate fame, brief exposure but assuming you want to be a SERIOUS ARTIST, the chance is one in a million, even for a native. Ask a native Japanese on the street and only a few will recognize the name 'May J' or 'Stephanie' or 'Monkey Majik'. Even it they do it'll be 'oh yeah i recognize the name'. But mention Utada, Namie, Exile, Boa, Gackt and faces will light up; these are household names.

Uhm, so basically, i just wanted to answer that age question but it kinda turned into some words of advice about maintaining your dignity and dreams as an artist not just jumping at every company for a chance for artificial fame. I have lots of facts but even more strong opinions about the music industry lol, if you cared to read long rants like this >___< Good luck !!

Guest Sam-chan

^ventura Thanks for your wonderful words of advice! I agree, I think respect is more important than fame. Yeah I think I'm too old, just turned 22, but that really ticks me off about the Asian entertainment industry. It's like even if you're not talented but are 14 and cute you have a chance. Though I hate Hollywood I have to say, it doesn't matter how old you are, if you're talented and work hard you do get recognized. Although I wish I had started to pursue a career early on I'm happy I listened to my parents and finished college first. Although people still think I'm 15, which is really annoying but I guess it kinda helps because I don't look mature at all ^_^

Yes I will work hard to learn the language as well, my family lives in Japan but I don't speak it at all. Also for other people viewing this thread, what do people know about Sony? There's a whole thread about Avex already, so if anyone has infromation on Sony that'd be great! Let's try and help as many people as we can!

Guest ventura

^ kk no problem buuut i dont think youre old AT ALL. In fact, i think you're the perfect age to set out and really pursue your dream, especially now that youve finished college. Like i said above, early 20's is the age group many newbie celebs are in. 22 is too old to be in like...Morning Musume or WG...but not old for most other things. There are stars in every age group cuz i know there are actresses and actors who have debuted in every age group. But acting is a total different industry and much more age friendly and diverse because not all characters in dramas and movies are written to be preteens. Sure you havent been in the business since you were like 13 lol but i'd say most celebs in Japan now days are in thier early 20s. I mean, go audition for LesPros and try to be a ViVi model or something. They have audtions in Hawaii and in Japan (go visit your family ^^) and the majority of thier models are 21-23. Anna Tsuchiya started out modeling and Aragaki Yui's talent agency deals with models primarily, but got her into acting and singing. Point is, youre not old, but youre an adult and now you have the freedom to pursue your dreams. You're young, go live life to its fullest~

This is old but maybe they'll update

Les Pros Auditions

Qualifications

Female, Born October 14,1985 - October 10,1995.

* Japanese speaking skill is not required.

* Applicants must be eligible to travel to Japan and participate the grand final held on Oct.13 (Mon).

LesPros Entertainment will cover the entire traveling expense including hotel bills.

* Finalists must enter exclusive contract with LesPros Entertainment.

* Applicants must be interested working in the Japanese modeling industry.

Requests on terms of contract, schedules, and other working conditions can be taken to consideration.

http://www.lespros.co.jp/hawaii/

Uhm i remember seeing this about Sony Japan International Auditions, i only pulled the basic info from the site for easy viewing purposes...theres so much more on the website though:

Sony Japan Auditions

Qualification requirements

Aspiring musical artists, bands, TV talent and models are invited to join.

All musical genres are welcome.

Nationalities, sex and age are not asked.

How to apply

Profile(name, address, telephone number, date of birth, e-mail address, self-promotion, etc.

Two photographs(full length & face) or a group photograph for bands.

If you have any demo tape, CD, MD, video or live recording, please send them with your application. However, if you don't have any recordings, you can apply without sending a demo.

Application deadline

No date specified.

Application address

"International Audition"

Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc SD Group

4-5 Rokubancho,Chiyoda-ku,Tokyo,102-8353 JAPAN

The selection process

The successful applicants will be contacted within 3 months of the audition.

Their debut will be supported by Sony Music Entertainment.

Matters of AttentionAny inquiries on screening status or results will not be answered after application.

Only those applicants who have advanced to the next phase of the audition process will be notified of the results.

Write your address clearly on the outside envelope of your application.

Application materials will not be returned.

No fees will be required for application, screening, or any matters thereafter.

Application materials will not be used for any purposes other than screening.

Any applicant 18 years or younger must have consent of a parent or legal guardian.

Enquiries

Only contact via E-mail in either Japanese or English.

sd-info@sonymusic.co.jp

Credit: http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/sd/IA/english.html

And this is from eariler this year, but maybe they'll update the site for next year?: http://www.japanesedream.jp/en/index.html#how

Guest Hello! Project

You know...I originally had a whole lot typed up but my stupid ipod messed up when I opened another page. How lame. How extremely lame.

So here I go again.

011. I dont think 22 is old. I think its a perfect age, lately there has been a lot of new artist in Japan that are in their early to mid 20s and older. Heck 30 yr olds, are showing off their talent and their is absolutely nothing wrong with it. We get old and then we die. Whats the point in getting an artist when they are 15 when they'll eventually turn 30? Aging is inevitable, companies should realize it and grow up. You really shouldnt worry about being too old until you turn the ripe OLD age of 105. Believe me their will always be someone in some age group listening to music, 20 yr old artist appeal to Teen~20~30 yr old male and females, and because the youth is the vast majority of the nation you'll be pullin gin big numbers if you were that age. Same with 13 yr old performers. Kids media will always be hot in Japan...well, just because. Anime, kids shows like Eigo de asobu(Lets play [in] English), with all that, the need for those <13 performers is big. No if only there where a demand for 46 yr old J-Urban, beatboxing, Enka singing woman, we'd be in business. But for real , dont worry about it unless you wanted to get into gravure idoling because the minimum age is 14 but there are some as young as 10, which is absolutely disgusting (in the case of Saaya) but because Child pornography laws are very lax in Japan (these laws were just developed maybe 10 or 11 yrs ago so before that, anything went in Japan). Yes, exploitation is common. Not just among <14 idols but hostess, and fuzoku girls too. Mizu-shobai. But I'm going off topic, anyways, unless you have staying power like Leah Dizon, Aikawa Yuzuki, Koike Eiko or those two oldbies we love Hoshino Aki and Hosokawa Fumie.

012. As far as being a model, and especially for a magazine as big and as popular as ViVi its not very easy. They rarely change models and their models are almost always haafu. Thats the beauty of that magazine, you get all the JunTime you want<3, cause shes the prettiest and they really try to capture the beauty of half Japanese and have them model the number one trends. Its just not very easy...because they dont regularly hold auditions (I think I remember it one time!), they send scouts out mainly in Hawaii like ventura said. I think the chance to become a model on ViVi is pretty much shot but try Blenda. I'll get that info if I can.

013. audition-navi, about-audition, these are all great sites to go on. Japanese skill is required. If theres something that catches your attention, I dont mind translating. But whole pages now, I'm wayyy too lazy for that.

014. I gotta put it out there again, it is so much easier if you are trying to be a model, singer, actress, whatever to have an ENTERTAINMENT AGENCY! Who gives a hootin` whatever about a record label if they wont give you the time of day?? Now with the right agency, everythings pretty much almost in the bag, It worked for Sawajiri Erika and Lena (ViVi Model), they are both on stardust. An agency I highly recommend without even knowing anyone who works there personally, never interacting with a worker, and definitely not being on stardust. It just has a reputation of producing big stars, they sell them the proper way to these labels, and get them good solid contracts and big time movies and dramas and mag spots.

oh and I'll get the link to my lj, please bare with me, I'm barely hanging on...its 12:34 and I'm ready to sleep. I cant force mysself to stay up anymore, BUT! sweet power (home to Kuroki Meisa, Natsumi Erena and Kame's twin sister) is holding an audition. Apparently sweet power thinks 23 is dirt so you better hop to it, while you are still 22. When I actually remember my lj (since I dont use it), I'll put up the romanized address or I'll just rewrite it again.

Guest vintageradio

Hello I am interested in auditioning for Japanese ent. companies. I have a few questions:

Firstly, do they get paid more than korean stars? I'm asking this because I heard that the majority of korean stars (with the exception of a few, like BoA or Rain) themselves are poor; the money they get mostly goes to their ent. companies. I'm just curious as to where the money the stars earn goes.

Secondly, are they okay with korean people? As in, are they willing to promote korean people into their entertainment industries and promote them in Japan as well as elsewhere?

If anyone can answer these questions, it would be appreciated :)

Guest Sam-chan

Thanks again to Hello! Project and ventura

I'll check out the Sony audition page. Yay 22 isn't too old! But 23... LOL I agree we all age and I think your talent develops further as you age. I'm not really a fan of modelling, but it usually does get your foot in the door. I actually applied to the Avex US Star Search thing, but I have yet to hear a reply. I think because I don't live remotely close to the auditioning cities (I live in Chicago and the audtions are in LA and NY) I probably won't hear from them, or they think I'm ugly LOL.

vintageradio I think Japan is pretty accepting of Korean artists, I mean look at Younha (who I love btw!) she actually got her start in Japan because Korean companies didn't think she was good looking enough! (Lies! She's adorable! LOL) So just try your best I think and like everyone has mentioned, learn the language! As for salary, I'm not sure maybe someone else can answer that. I'd think if you were successful you'd be okay, but I think most of your paycheck would come from endorsements maybe? I'm South Asian so I wonder how Japan would treat foreign artists as well.

If possible can we get some information for Victor Entertainment and Pony Canyon? Also any other information or upcoming auditions are welcomed! I think this thread is becoming very helpful! Yay!

Guest Hello! Project

Ok, I finally managed to find my lj, its sad that I couldnt even remember it...

[done by me, dont post anywhere else.]

Wednesday, August 29th, 2007

Fanletters~

Always being updated....^__^

Ayumi Hamasaki

c/o Avex Entertainment

3-1-30 Minami-Aoyama, Minato-ku

Tokyo 107-8552 JAPAN

Kumi Koda

c/o Avex Entertainment

Tokyo 107-8552 JAPAN

Miliyah Kato

coming soon...

Toma Ikuta (Johnny’s Jr.)

coming sooner than soon...

BoA

c/o Avex Entertainment

3-1-30 Minami-Aoyama Bldg 6F

Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8552

JAPAN

Hayato Ichihara

Stardust Promotion

2-3-201 Sarugaku-cho, Shibuya-ku

Tokyo 150-0033 JAPAN

Crystal Kay

Epic Records Japan 5F

9-6-35 Asakasa, Minato-ku

Tokyo 107-8301

JAPAN

[member NAME] please don’t forget -.-;;

Tohoshinki Official Fanclub Bigeast

3-1-31 Otemachi, Minami-Aoyama Bldg

Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8552

JAPAN

Jun Hasegawa

LDH SP614

5-15-1 Ginza, Chuo-ku

Tokyo 104-8238 JAPAN

Anna Tsuchiya Fanletter

3F Pare Juno Backstage Product

5-16-6 Sendagaya, Shibuya-ku

Tokyo 151-0051

Leah Dizon

c/o Sky Corporation

4F Akasaka-Fukugen Bldg

2-15-16 Akasaka, Minato-ku

Tokyo 107-0052 JAPAN

REMIOROMEN

3-1-2 Higashi-Azabu, Minato-ku

Tokyo 106-0044 JAPAN

Ai Kawashima

504-48 City Plaza

5-32-11 Nakano, Nakano-ku

Tokyo 164-0001

Yukie Nakama

c/o Ogi Promotion

2F MRC Bldg

5-2-3 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku

Tokyo 160-0022 JAPAN

Yuu Yamada

c/o K Dash Corporation

5F Okamoto LK Bldg

2-17-10 Higashi, Shibuya-ku

Tokyo 150-0011 JAPAN

Asami Mizukawa

c/o A.L.C Atlantis

1-3-8-701 Azabu-Juban, Minato-ku

Tokyo 106-0045 JAPAN

Takayuki Yamada

c/o Stardust Promotion

Tokyo 150-0033 JAPAN

Mao Inoue

c/o Seventh Avenue

P.O. Box 75, Shibuya

Tokyo 150-8691 JAPAN

Satomi Ishihara

c/o HoriPro

1-2-5 Shimomeguro, Meguro-ku

Tokyo 153-8660 JAPAN

Erika Sawajiri

Stardust Promotion

Tokyo 150-0033 JAPAN

Maki Horikita

c/o Sweet Power

P.O. Box 51

Tamagawa, Setagaya-ku

Tokyo 158-8691 JAPAN

Yuna Ito

Japan Music Entertainment

Higashi-Azabu Bldg 3F

1-10-11 Higashi-Azabu, Minato-ku

Tokyo 106-0044 JAPAN

Hiro Mizushima

6F Ken-On Bldg

7-4-1 Roppongi, Minato-ku

Tokyo 106-0032 JAPAN

Mirai Shida

6F Ken-On Bldg

Tokyo 106-0032 JAPAN

Erika Toda

c/o FLaMme

406 Akasaka Heights

7-6-52 Akasaka, Minato-ku

Tokyo 107-0052 JAPAN

Meisa Kuroki

c/o Sweet Power

P.O. Box 51

Tamagawa, Setagaya-ku

Tokyo 158-8691 JAPAN

Ai Otsuka

c/o Avex Entertainment

Tokyo 107-8552 JAPAN

Elena Natsumi

c/o Sweet Power

P.O. Box 51

Tamagawa, Setagaya-ku

Tokyo 158-8691 JAPAN

Sheila

c/o HoriPro

1-2-5 Shimomeguro, Meguro-ku

Tokyo 153-8660 JAPAN

Kou Shibasaki

c/o Stardust Promotion

Tokyo 150-0033 JAPAN

Rosa Kato

6F Ken-On Bldg

Tokyo 106-0032 JAPAN

Lena Fujii

c/o Stardust Promotion

Tokyo 150-0033 JAPAN

Most are repeats, because they are for fanletters but just take the artist/talent name off and after the company name put "audition" in paranthesis, but you dont have to...its only my suggestion bc they'll know what it is.^^

vintageradio - Actually, no one gets access to celebs yearly earnings. No one. You know how in America on E! and what they tell you how much an star made for that year, how much they're worth, how much they spent, etc, etc? Well, Japan is a very modest country, earnings arent shared like that. They only release a list yearly of who paid the most taxes which gives you a hint at who made the most. So their really isnt any way to compare their earnings to any other countries. But Japanese artist and talents get a lot of opportunities to make $$$$ with all the tie ins, CMs and etc. The only way more money will go to your company is if you allow them to, and thats in any country. Read your contract, get a lawyer, get another lawyer to look over that one, get an accountant, count your earnings yourself and you wont get screwed over.

Of course Japan is OK with Koreans silly, now the other way around....not too sure. >_<

Japan is a very welcoming country so any one of any race shouldn't worry about that. DBSK/BoA get very good promotion! They have been invited to almost every tv show, except maybe one for DBSK and that was over the Johnny's Jr fame.

^

omgsh H!P , thanks for all the info and tips!

really does make things easier to understand haha .

AND CONGRATS ON THE BABY! ~

Hope you have a good delivery? ( Sorry if that sounds out of context? o0; haha )

quick question, do you think that appearing on a JP TV show would help in anyway ? =\

Guest Hello! Project

^

omgsh H!P , thanks for all the info and tips!

really does make things easier to understand haha .

AND CONGRATS ON THE BABY! ~

Hope you have a good delivery? ( Sorry if that sounds out of context? o0; haha )

quick question, do you think that appearing on a JP TV show would help in anyway ? =\

Thank you!! I just copied and pasted my stuff, so yeah I already had the baby [10 wks/2 mths early], shes almost 4 months but thats off topic, lol.

I definitely think appearing on tv shows would help, matter of fact I got a few sites for gaijin talent agencies. I'll go and get it. They help with all of that. Recognition is the path to success in Japan. Its alot easier than just popping out of nowhere. Like in the case of Leah, Nesmith, whatsherface that I forgot. Actually theres a lot of whatsherfaces I forgot, heh...

^

ahhh congrats !! haha XD

hrrm well I will be on Arashi's show "Himitsu no Arashi-chan" this week . Hopefully theres some exposure there haha .

kk I'll be waiting for more of your posts haha , very helpful indeed .

Guest Sam-chan

I definitely think appearing on tv shows would help, matter of fact I got a few sites for gaijin talent agencies. I'll go and get it. They help with all of that. Recognition is the path to success in Japan. Its alot easier than just popping out of nowhere. Like in the case of Leah, Nesmith, whatsherface that I forgot. Actually theres a lot of whatsherfaces I forgot, heh...

A list of gaijin talent agencies would be great! That would help alot especially with the point you brought up about record companies not really caring, but if you already have an agent...

So with the addresses you posted, do you recommend just mailing out our demo, and information, etc?

Thanks again Hello! Project

And OMG LAMASSU that's so cool! Please tells us how it goes ^_^

Guest vintageradio

Thank you Hello!Project and sam-chan for answering my questions...they were helpful

And, just rereading your post, Hello! Project, so I should be proficient in Japanese before I audition? Or is it possible that I learn it as I'm training? Also, what criteria do japanese ent. companies look at when they select their trainees? Do they need to be professional from the start or have some talent/looks that they can grow and work with?

Guest ventura

Hello I am interested in auditioning for Japanese ent. companies. I have a few questions:

Firstly, do they get paid more than korean stars? I'm asking this because I heard that the majority of korean stars (with the exception of a few, like BoA or Rain) themselves are poor; the money they get mostly goes to their ent. companies. I'm just curious as to where the money the stars earn goes.

Secondly, are they okay with korean people? As in, are they willing to promote korean people into their entertainment industries and promote them in Japan as well as elsewhere?

If anyone can answer these questions, it would be appreciated :)

Well as Hello Project said, salaries of Asian stars aren't revealed. But the norm for alllll entertainment is that as a newbie, you basically get a less than stellar contract with the company and an even worse salary. After you establish yourself and gain fans, success, etc. then you have more control and can re-negotiate your contract for a higher salary, etc. I would guess that for top stars, the Japanese ones get paid more due to the sheer size of thier industry. But you know, most money you make as a singer comes from CFs, edorsements, appearances, etc. NOT CD sales especially because all countries have a major issue with selling CDs and shrinking music industries.

About foreign artists.... in every country there are gonna be nationalists and racists. Nowhere in the world or in the history of the world has there every been such thing as no discrimination. So of course as a foreign artist in both countries there will be a-holes who are close minded and judge people on thier ethnicity (why do you think so many asians on this forum feel like they cant break into the US entertainment? yeah. racism.) Youre going to experience adversity, its a fact. You cant make everybody like you.

But, i know as a fact both countries are largely open minded and really welcoming ^^

Personally, ive never experiened racism from either countries. Yeah ive read rude comments on the Internet. But day to day, my friends and family from both countries don't even see race. They see people as people, not an ethnicity,and we're all really happy just hanging out, laughing and loving no matter where we are from. ^___^

Yeah so that should be the least of your worries.

Pony Canyon

http://www.ponycanyon.co.jp/pcaudition/

Oh and Hello!Project, congrats on your baby !!!! I wish you a happy mommy...hood! ^^ did that make sense? o___O

Guest Sam-chan

Oh and Hello!Project, congrats on your baby !!!! I wish you a happy mommy...hood! ^^ did that make sense? o___O

LOL, I like the way that sounds. Yes Congrats Hello! Project 4 months is a nice age. My nephew was so cute at 4 months, now he's 7 years old and a brat!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hello! Project

A wonderful opportunity here

And thanks so much for the congrats.^^ As you see mommyhood (hehe) is taking up alot of my time so I had to disappear for a few, like I have to go now...

But I'll be back to edit this a little later with the agencies for foreigners and whatnot.

And about the url up there, go for it if you fit the bill. Whether you live in Japan or not, since they arent shooting yet, you have time to find a Japanese travel agency (cheaper than flights you book yourself) and fly to Japan! =] All things are possible, just believe. GL!

Guest Sam-chan

^ Thanks Hello! Project for the link. I wonder, do you have to already live in Japan to register with that agency? Well I suppose that would make sense ^_^

Guest ledolce

Hello! Project.

Thank you for the info.

This will help a lot.

-----------------------------------

I have a question:

I currently have 2 Aunts living in Japan...

DO I have to state that in my applications?

Archived