Telling Your Parents That You've Been Secretly Dating Someone?

Guest 。. 。゜゜rain_ie ゜

Guest 。. 。゜゜rain_ie ゜

Secret-daters???
er.... i wonder if this topic has been posted b4... if there was, sry>< delete this one =P

so ya, im quite bored and a tad curious since i know some friends who had dated "secretly" and i myself havent do so =P

When would you tell your parents that you've been secretly seeing someone?

How would you tell your parents that you've been secretly seeing someone?

Why did you see someone secretly anyways???

o_O

State if ur a guy or girl =)

Guest mz_imperfect

I guess I've dated someone secretly? But in a sense, all my relationships have been somewhat of a secret?

To speak somewhat objectively, people usually date others 'behind their parents backs' or don't tell their parents about it for a number of reasons. I think the most popular reasons are:

1. It's not a serious relationship.

2. Their parents might object whether it is because of relgious reasons, racial reasons, etc.

If it's not a serious relationship, why bring in the weight of the parents? Especially with middle school and some high school flings. However, I know plenty of people who have good relationships with their parents and their parents don't really care as long as it doesn't affect them academically and they're able to make responsible choices.

As for the religious and racial issue, I think it's pretty self explanatory.

And I'm a girl. haha.

Guest love_fate&destiny

well, you see, my parents are strict and are all about education, blah, blah, blah. it's not like i want a boyfriend right now, but if a guy i like, likes me back, then i guess i have to secretly date him. my parents are really against it....they say i can date when i'm like, 16+ or was it 18+???my sister, who had a boyfriend in secret, got found out, and she had to break up with him. =__=;;

sooo...gotta be very, very careful.

i probably would never tell them unless we're going to go for a long time.

i'm a girl, btw.

Guest HtyPotter

Not dating until you're 16 really isn't that unreasonable. When it's something like that, my only advice is to respect your parent's wishes.

Guest intricaciesx

i've been secretly dating my bf on and off for almost 4 years.

all my friends know but my mom doesnt.

i'm not allowed to date until i'm out of college <_< & i'm freaken 18 now

i dont think i'll tell my mom anytime soon, she's one of those crazy overbearing asian mothers.

however..we all 3 did eat dinner one time in chinatown.

my boyfriend & i were holding hands under the table and then my mom dropped a piece of food and bent down to pick it up. it was a scary moment. hahah

We dated for over a year, and I felt it was time to tell my dad. My mom only knew about it because my sister went behind my back and blabbed to her. He was always complaining about how I got to meet his parents, and that he really wanted to meet mine. I wanted to wait until it was clearly established that we were a serious couple in a steady relationship before I told my parents. In the end, I never introduced him to my pops- never even mentioned anything about having a bf to the old man. It's because we broke up. ^^ Some things are better kept a secret.

BTW, I'm a girl, 20, and my dad doesn't approve of his lil princess dating... right.

Guest fuuko-chan

My mom didn't want me to have a boyfriend at 16, she wanted me to be 18.

But yeah, I kinda disobeyed her. But the 'secret' thing didn't really last

for long. It was just a few days after we became a couple and my mom

already found out. At first she was mad but she still accepted it. ^__^

Guest needlepeople

I'm dating a guy that works for my mom, so I'm working hard to make sure neither she nor anybody else at work finds out. I never plan on telling her :sweatingbullets: If she finds out she'll fire him, beat me, and forbid me from seeing him again, so it's better this way.

P.S. I'm a girl.

Guest x SaRaNg HaE x

I'd tell her in my 2nd year of college. I think I'd just blurt it out one day when she's in a good mood.

If I told her now, she'd send me back home and yell at me everyday. -o-

You know, I never told my folks directly. Everyone just started catching on when I kept getting phonecalls on our homephone from the same guy every night. After a few weeks, my mom asked me if I was dating someone and I was like, "Yeah, I'm dating the guy who keeps calling the house, didn't you notice?"

Lol xDD

Guest hungrycollegeboy

So I'm a dude.

I think this is very traditional of me, but I would always tell my parents if I'm dating someone.

In fact, I would ask my parents for their permission, before I go and ask the girl. I dunno, that's just how I am. From how I see it, by having their permission, you don't have to worry about "getting caught" or lying to your parents about staying after school when you really aren't and stuff.

If they deny you permission, then there's not much you can do except maybe rebel? But, I'm past that rebellious teenager stage and I'd just forget about it. I'm assuming most of you here are still in high school and are in that rebellious stage.

Guest mal3ficum

yeah i have secret dated and i am atm.

i have no idea when i would tell? the first was like almost got busted a few times LOL.

thats because my family doesnt want me dating until i finish school so yeah

the reason im not telling now is another story but yeah.

ill tell when im ready i guess LOL. my mums pretty easy to talk to so hm. its my grandparents who would flip :x

I did at the start. I didn't tell them because my parents would always say don't date until I finished my education

I didn't tell them, they found out when he was over at my house that I was with him

But they didn't mind me dating

• 1 month later...
Guest i ♡ jamkooruhgi`

my parents are both the typical over bearing asian parents.

who clearly states i shouldn't date till im out of high school.

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, being rebellious i've dated couple of guys

without them knowing :P

hahah but when i was with one my ex.

into our 2 months. and i finally decided to tell my parents.

because i knew the relationship was going to last. (a year and half)

my parents took it hard.

grounded me, took away everything :/ said and did horrible stuff.

my parents both have some power(?) you can call it with the feellow koreans.

well yeahh things happened but they knew i wouldnt stop.

although they didnt like it.

they let me experience having a boyfriend :P

i hope this doesnt sound baddd. but my dad hahaha i love him :P

hahah i thought it was pretty funny, erhm he told me if i break up with him he'd buy me any car :P

well one reason my parents disapproved was the fact that. he's 4 years older than me (being in highschool,him in college)

and the waiting till 18. but we broke up, they were happy LOL

loll

but this boyfriend i have now

:P i told my mom like 2 days ago.

i thought she'd be angry with me or tell me no.

but she wants to get to knwo him

stranggeee. maybe cuz i met him at sat classes

LOL

i'm a girl and an only child that only lives with my mom. my mom told me she didn't want me dating until i was finished with school. Yes, meaning COLLEGE too x___x; but i ended up dating at the end of 6th grade. i've had three boyfriends, all were secret, and of course, because i don't want my mom to know since she "wants me to focus on school" my first boyfriend lasted ~2 years and a half, and i'm preeeeeeeeeetty sure my mom knew, but she was just waiting for me to tell her, which i never did XD my second one was during freshman summer, and i told my mom about that one, but only because my aunt told her on accident XD but she didn't really care (i guess since it was summer and there's no school? haha) and the one now, i've been dating for almost 3 months, and i kinda want to tell my mom, but i'm too scared :P i've kept my grades up, so i want to show her that i CAN have a boyfriend and have good grades too. I think i'm going to wait until i get straight A's (hopefully i do this 6 weeks)

nope, i have only one bf and hes the current one,

i was scared to tell my mom at first but i eventually told her as soon as we became official,

because i didnt want to like be all secret and all...

and even though my mom is very like a typical asian mom, she wanted me to get a boyfriend..lol..

she once found out that this one guy liked me and she saw his picture and was all like

'linda you should go out with him. he seems like a nice guy...' shes all for me getting a guy..lol...

Archived