Getting Only /part/ Of Your Hair Chemically Straightened.

Guest Swiss Cheese

Guest Swiss Cheese

Has anyone ever done this? Good idea or no?
I'm going to the salon to get my hair straightened in a couple of days. After a brief consultation with the stylist this afternoon, he suggested that I only get part (the bottom half) of my hair straightened because it would be cheaper/less damaging ($125 as opposed to $195). It makes sense, seeing as I have naturally straight hair, except it curls up at the bottom where it reaches my shoulders (very annoying length of hair to have, grrr). Also, I don't want completely FLAT hair at the roots, so I'm reluctant to straighten ALL of my hair. I've never seen anyone else get only part of their hair straightened though, so I'm not quite sure of how it'll turn out. I don't want something freaky like poofy volumized hair halfway down my head and PIN-STRAIGHT the rest of the way. :ph34r:

Would you guys recommend that I just spent the extra $70 to get all of my hair straightened? Or only the bottom half?

Any other suggestions are welcome too, haha. Thanks. :)

Here's a couple of pictures of my hair (air-dried after showering):

Picture4.jpgPicture2.jpg

(Left & right side) It doesn't look that bad now, but in the humidity... :crazy:

Looks more like this normally: http://www.ukhairdressers.com/style/index2...l1=Bob%20Steele

Except it's obviously VEEERY far from salon-perfect. xD

Edit: Also, I might consider just buying a good straightener. I know you can get Chi straighteners on Folica/Amazon for $85. But shipping + duties is nearly another $50... Canada. Anyne know any Canadian sites/stores that sell them? Under $100 preferrably.

Guest angeland

your hair is already quite straight that i don't think you really need chemical straihtening...

a straightener may be a better choice :)

in asia, chemical straightening is most of the time for all of the hair....

like this... but you don't want that flat, right?!

hair.jpg

hair2.jpg

Guest Sarangxcandy

i'm not sure what ur stylist meant exactly..

but it might be volume magic..

i've never gotten it done..

but the idea is to slightly curl the hair at the roots,

and then straighten the rest...

ask him about that

but be careful, my friend got volume magic from someone unexperienced

and it came out like regular magic

Guest KAITOU KID.

my friend got just her fringe perm'd straight

i have no clue why she did, because that's liek < 30 seconds with the straightener.

but hey, i guess it's 30 seconds saved xD.

so yeah, you can, and i guess you're getting more than just the fringe obviously.

no clue how it'd look etc though ._.

Guest hobobear

ive gotten my hair permed straight before.. it didn't really work for me... which sucked since it costed like 200 bucks. but on the contrary, alot of my friends did it, and it stayed for them.

you can buy chi's at salons in malls and stuff. i see a lot of them out there.

I'm going to the salon to get my hair straightened in a couple of days. After a brief consultation with the stylist this afternoon, he suggested that I only get part (the bottom half) of my hair straightened because it would be cheaper/less damaging ($125 as opposed to $195). It makes sense, seeing as I have naturally straight hair, except it curls up at the bottom where it reaches my shoulders (very annoying length of hair to have, grrr). Also, I don't want completely FLAT hair at the roots, so I'm reluctant to straighten ALL of my hair. I've never seen anyone else get only part of their hair straightened though, so I'm not quite sure of how it'll turn out. I don't want something freaky like poofy volumized hair halfway down my head and PIN-STRAIGHT the rest of the way. :ph34r:

Would you guys recommend that I just spent the extra $70 to get all of my hair straightened? Or only the bottom half?

yes salons do that. If your hair texture is ok at the top, they will not straighten from the roots. they will start probably 1 to 2 inches away from the roots. This way, you don't get the 'flat iron' effect.

That was what happened to me too. I have natural straight fine hair, but it was permed. I wanted to chop it off and go for a bob haircut, so they straightened my ends only. :sweatingbullets: The time frame between my perm and me wanting to get a bob was about 3 months, so it's either I style my hair everyday (as in, bob in wavy form), or straighten it to get the sleek look and easier maintanence. I opt for the latter. lol.

I do not know what terms they use over at US, but over at my side, this process is called rebonding. it breaks and reforms the texture of your hair permanently.

right now, there is another technology, called soft rebonding which is supposed to be less harmful to your hair, and looks more natural. But of course, it means it will not be as lasting as the normal rebonding/straightening.

There is one called cold rebonding too, where the hair treatment is cold.

HTHS!

Guest Swiss Cheese

your hair is already quite straight that i don't think you really need chemical straihtening...

a straightener may be a better choice :)

in asia, chemical straightening is most of the time for all of the hair....

like this... but you don't want that flat, right?!

%7Boption%7Dhair.jpg

%7Boption%7Dhair2.jpg

The first hairstyle looks pretty nice, but yeeah, the second one's kinda dead. I can't really pull off that look, AT ALL. :ph34r:

My straightener right now really sucks. My hair curls up again after 2-3 hours in the heat.

i'm not sure what ur stylist meant exactly..

but it might be volume magic..

i've never gotten it done..

but the idea is to slightly curl the hair at the roots,

and then straighten the rest...

ask him about that

but be careful, my friend got volume magic from someone unexperienced

and it came out like regular magic

I've never heard of that before, but it sounds interesting. Sorta like a crown at the top? I think it works better for short hairstyles.

Maybe I'll get a trim. I'll be sure to ask my stylist about that, thanks!

my friend got just her fringe perm'd straight

i have no clue why she did, because that's liek < 30 seconds with the straightener.

but hey, i guess it's 30 seconds saved xD.

so yeah, you can, and i guess you're getting more than just the fringe obviously.

no clue how it'd look etc though ._.

Lol yeeah it takes me about 5-10 minutes to straighten the ends with a Chi straightener, but I'm really lazy. xD

How much did it cost just getting the fringe permed?

ive gotten my hair permed straight before.. it didn't really work for me... which sucked since it costed like 200 bucks. but on the contrary, alot of my friends did it, and it stayed for them.

Aww that really sucks. Whta's your natural hair type?

Yeeah, but it costs like, $170 to buy in salons. :ph34r:

yes salons do that. If your hair texture is ok at the top, they will not straighten from the roots. they will start probably 1 to 2 inches away from the roots. This way, you don't get the 'flat iron' effect.

That was what happened to me too. I have natural straight fine hair, but it was permed. I wanted to chop it off and go for a bob haircut, so they straightened my ends only. :sweatingbullets: The time frame between my perm and me wanting to get a bob was about 3 months, so it's either I style my hair everyday (as in, bob in wavy form), or straighten it to get the sleek look and easier maintanence. I opt for the latter. lol.

I do not know what terms they use over at US, but over at my side, this process is called rebonding. it breaks and reforms the texture of your hair permanently.

right now, there is another technology, called soft rebonding which is supposed to be less harmful to your hair, and looks more natural. But of course, it means it will not be as lasting as the normal rebonding/straightening.

There is one called cold rebonding too, where the hair treatment is cold.

HTHS!

Haha I live in Canada.

Rebonding? Uggh so many terms... Japanese straightening, magic straight, relaxing, chemical straightening, permanent straightening, thermal reconditionaing... etc. etc. LOL seriously are they all the same thing? I'm really confused. :blink:

Guest ix3katz

erm

im from canada

i ordered a hai straightener (i believe its about the same price as the CHI, if not the same... i didn't order it cuz if u read the fine print, it says u can't use the CHI from folica in canada)

anyway the total came to $110 including tax, customs, shipping

it's not TOO bad

if u get a CHI in stores in canada its about the same

Guest sheselle

I have a symmetrical bob and my ends keep curling outwards (even though i have naturally straight hair!) so I feel you! It's annoying =/ I prefer using a straightener but I guess it would be less of a hassle to get it permanently straightened at the salon! :)

Guest pockystixx

either way, your hair is still going to get damaged.

because if you just do the bottom half, your ends will get killed do to all the chemicals and and straightening.

they straighten your hair, put on some cream, wash it out, straighten it again, put some cream wash it out and straighten again. i've seen the process like a billion times already.

oh plus they have to blow dry it. so... yea.

and your hair does become flat, so i know what you mean =P...

and it depends on how fast your hair grows, because chemically straightened hair lasts about 4-10 months. depending on your hair.

Guest -- CRYSTAL.

i know exactly what you mean. i had long wavy hair but then i cut it all off. my short hair only looked good straight and i hated straightening my hair. i rather have an extra 10 minutes of sleep every morning. my hair was like yours.. straight then it flipped outwards :(

when i got a straight perm done, i told my stylist i wanted my roots left alone because i hated how many asian girls had flat hair. he agreed with me! he said it was stupid and starting the straightening process a few inches away from my roots.

i had it done in november 07. since then i've gotten a haircut [about 4 inches off?] and my hair is still straight with no flippage :)

Guest yangri

I never really liked straightened hair @@

It feels so unnatural to me..

I think getting is partially straightened is a good idea.

Guest cin203

ehh same here. but the first time i got it done, it was freaken amazingly straight. I just got it done again last week and it's wavy already...it sucks for spending so much money on it =\

I have a symmetrical bob and my ends keep curling outwards (even though i have naturally straight hair!) so I feel you! It's annoying =/ I prefer using a straightener but I guess it would be less of a hassle to get it permanently straightened at the salon! :)

same here, but i think it's the way our hair is cut. I have way too many layers on one side and the end keeps on curling outwards since they're not all the same length. some pieces of my hair are too short to be straight =\

Guest Naimie

ehh same here. but the first time i got it done, it was freaken amazingly straight. I just got it done again last week and it's wavy already...it sucks for spending so much money on it =\

Yup it's true. It's NOT WORTH IT. It doesn't work on everyone's hair (actually I don't know about that), but all I know is I wasted 300 bucks (I think it was) on stupid chemical hair straightening. It damaged my hair SO BAD, and it was only straight for the first few days. Then that's when I got screwed over.

The picture you posted LOOKS like my hair right now after I got it chemically straightened. So honestly, there is no point for you getting it done, unless you want some fried richard simmons pubic looking hair!

Guest KAITOU KID.

Lol yeeah it takes me about 5-10 minutes to straighten the ends with a Chi straightener, but I'm really lazy. xD

How much did it cost just getting the fringe permed?

I think she said it cost her $40 (AUD).

But it really was a tiny amount of hair XD. I was like wow...worth it?

She said yeah; but she's clearly biased :3

Guest USERNAME_TAKEN

they say how long it lasts depends on your hair but what does it depend on like oily, dry, length how fast it grows what?

Archived