Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[drama 2009] The Iron Empress / Empress Cheon Chu 천추태후

Replies

• PyoungsangPyoungsang Posts: 515Member
    edited January 2009
    QUOTE (아나키스 @ Jan 7 2009, 12:14 PM) »
    Good luck waiting for that. Series this long will never surface with subs (unless it's the Sinoengrish type on some Shenzhen bootleg).

I know I said no already, but... still thinking about it. We need to get KOTW out of the way first, and if it still maintains this quality... might jump on board and do it. But don't quote me on that. Trust both writer and PD, but it's LONG, and these days I've seen quite the good number of talented folks make crap because of the state the industry is in. Lee Jae Gyu docet...

Come on ... just don't sleep or take shower for a year! I know what you're thinking... it could be like Jumong ... where a good portion of last 30 episodes seem repetitious and forgettable. Listen ... if you really need help getting KOTW out of the way, maybe I'll do a episode or two. Maybe not ... you know since I eat and take showers and sometimes even sleep! I do love the cast in this one also but still haven't watched it ... it's waiting for me in my PC though.

QUOTE (lilcrash @ Jan 7 2009, 03:42 AM) »
    OST is not out yet.

I want to cry image..because I just heard that 天使 and 阳光 字幕组 aren't subbing this drama in Chinese. I guess saguek dramas are harder to translate.
    And I don't have KBS world...
    Gah, I guess I have to wait for the DVD which comes with the subtitles...or wait till someone gets the eps from KBS world and uploads them. image

I don't know if it's a matter of difficulty or just matter of politics. I seem to remember The Legend sub being abandoned by them due to political pressures.
  • yobiworldyobiworld Posts: 469Member

IDOL

it premiering on KBS world jan 17 eng subbed on digital tv ch 63.5
    From Hwang bo to Taecyeon I WANT TO FALL FOR YOU BUT IM NOT SURE YOU WILL CATCH ME?
  • lilcrashlilcrash Posts: 2,775Member

IDOL

edited January 2009
    QUOTE (Pyoungsang @ Jan 8 2009, 05:54 AM) »
    I don't know if it's a matter of difficulty or just matter of politics. I seem to remember The Legend sub being abandoned by them due to political pressures.

TSKS (天使字幕组) did sub The Legend, because BYJ was in it. They even subbed Jumong & The Kingdom of The Winds (Song Il Gook).
    They didn't sub Dae Wang Sejong because of political reasons...and I think because there weren't any big stars like BYJ & Song Il Gook, but it was good that another Chinese subbing team decided to sub the drama.
    I'm sure TSKS will sub Empress Cheon Chu IF BYJ was also in it lol...

Yeah..about 1 year or more wait for the DVD to come out. image

Anyway, I just got some news that a Chinese subbing team is willing to sub the first episode, not sure if they'll continue or not.
    Watching: Nice guy & May Queen & My daughter Seo young
  • kdramafanusakdramafanusa Posts: 10,040Friend of Soompi

SUPERSTAR

edited January 2009
    ^ Pyoungsang was right, the Chinese subbing team(s) stopped working on Legend (pressure dued to political reasons) at one point; it was resumed later on though.
    A lot of Chinese were upset because some K-dramas were said to distort historical facts.

The cast is another factor. Chae Si-Ra & Kim Sang-Kyung are big names in Korea, just that they are not Korean Wave stars or those followed by Chinese subbing teams; when a drama gets a lot of good review (good word-of-mouth) & there's a huge demand from fans, subbing team(s) sometimes pick it up.

• PyoungsangPyoungsang Posts: 515Member
    QUOTE (kdramafanusa @ Jan 7 2009, 05:11 PM) »
    ^ Pyoungsang was right, the Chinese subbing team(s) stopped working on Legend (pressure dued to political reasons) at one point; it was resumed later on though.
    A lot of Chinese were upset because some K-dramas were said to distort historical facts.

The cast is another factor. Chae Si-Ra & Kim Sang-Kyung are big names in Korea, they are just not Korean Wave stars or those followed by

Thanks for the heads up kdramafanusa ... yes, I'm back in the game a bit now.

As far as I'm concerned, they are big names but I guess maybe not for oversea audiences. I do worry about a few of the younger cast, though. I was not at all impressed by Kim Ho Jin in Seoul 1945... hopefully he's been practicing.

As for historical accuracy, I think the picture below says it all:

I had no idea that they had perms during Goryeo times!!

And yes the armor is a bit ridiculous ... more like fantasy. I don't care that much, though ... I just want good writing and fun.

IDOL

Thanks for the info Pyoungsang & kdramafanusa.
    I didn't watch TSKS subs for The Legend, I just waited and bought the DVD.

Yes, the cast is the factor for the oversea audiences. But, if the ratings continue to rise I'm sure there will be good reviews. Hopefully good quality & writing will continue and not fall on the later parts.
  • KissbangbangKissbangbang Posts: 41Banned
    QUOTE (kdramafanusa @ Jan 8 2009, 07:41 AM) »

Even many Korean fans are upset about distorting historical facts, but if the drama does show as historical facts then it will be so boring. I saw many European, Chinese, Japanese and even Hollywood dramas & movies distorting historical facts too.

It's entertainment industry, they will follow where the money & audience are.

All K-Tv programs should be subtitled and translated into English for global audience.
  • flydolesqueueflydolesqueue Posts: 32,796Banned

LEGEND

This content has been removed by a moderator.
  • kdramafanusakdramafanusa Posts: 10,040Friend of Soompi

SUPERSTAR

edited January 2009
    Source: KBS

Renewed Attention on the Goryeo Dynasty

People are beginning to pay more attention to the Goryeo Dynasty with the rising popularity of film “A Frozen Flower” and TV drama “The Iron Empress,” both based on noted figures from the Goryeo period. The popularity of these two works has sparked interest in Goryeo, a relatively overlooked era in TV and movies.

Released on December 30, “A Frozen Flower,” starring sizzling hot Jo In-sung and Ju Jin-mo, drew one million moviegoers in just four days. As of Sunday, nearly 1.6 million people have seen the movie. This figure far exceeds other top-grossing films – the 2003 film “Friend” took six days to top the 1-million mark and last year’s most noted movie “The Chaser” eight days.

“The Iron Empress” aired its first episode last Saturday and posted a 20% rating, which was much higher than the rating on the last episode of its predecessor “King Sejong.” The new drama is about a granddaughter of Wang Geon, the founder of Goryeo, who fought off Qidan invasions and political foes in the early Goryeo era.

• MisterXMisterX 奈落Posts: 187Member
    QUOTE (Kissbangbang @ Jan 7 2009, 06:46 PM) »
    Even many Korean fans are upset about distorting historical facts, but if the drama does show as historical facts then it will be so boring.

Watch Conspiracy in the Court, Shin Don, Sang Do, Age of Warriors, Eight Days and Tears of the Dragon to start with, and say that again. The "historical accuracy = boring" creed was spread by producers to make people drink the kool-aid. The best thing a sageuk can do is respect history, it just enhances their quality.

• banniibannii Posts: 21Member
    Kim Suk Hoon who plays "Kim Chi Yang" , whats his background? His a slave who worship and protect Chun chu? Or is he a noble?
  • dramaokdramaok Drama Addicts Unite Jumong's cribPosts: 4,242Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited January 2009
    QUOTE (bannii @ Jan 8 2009, 08:52 AM) »
    Kim Suk Hoon who plays "Kim Chi Yang" , whats his background? His a slave who worship and protect Chun chu? Or is he a noble?

he is royal remnant of Silla dynasty, which Chun chu's grandpa took over, before making it Goryeo.
    he is supposed to use her to restablish Silla but he falls in love w/ her and thus he is thrown into a difficult torment.
    오로라 공주  Princess Aurora
  • run_lola_runrun_lola_run Posts: 537Member

ROOKIE

I found some brief character descriptions in english for anyone who is interested. image

http://deiner.proboards48.com/index.cgi?bo...amp;thread=7647
    - Proud Lee N a Y o u n g fan -
     Currently Watching: Rude Miss Young Ae, My Flower Boy Neighbor, Share House no Koibito, Yae no Sakura, & Nageki no Bijo
    Anticipating: Hmmm don't know yet...might take a drama break...Maybe Guam Heojoon for Park Jin Hee but damn 120 eps is too much
  • huangsyhuangsy Posts: 5,758Member

IDOL

lee Young ah will have a special role in this drama
  • rm_buffyrm_buffy PhilippinesPosts: 92Member
    will LYA just a guest?
    what specific role?
    thanks
    Picnikcollage-1-1-1.jpg
  • riehaeriehae Pearl Sapphire BluePosts: 10,369Member

ROOKIE

I don't think I can watch this now. Though I know that this is good. I may not have time. But I'll try watching in streaming videos than dl.
    Once Again the Album Kings
    5TH ALBUM COMEBACK
    S--U--P--E--R--J--U--N--I--O--R

IDOL

edited January 2009
  • selvaspeedyselvaspeedy SOMEwherePosts: 2,478Member

ROOKIE

edited January 2009
    this drama looks so good. and LYA is another reason for me to be more excited.
    but I can't start watching w/out english subs or at least summaries for the eppies image (I don't have KBS world, so it will be impossible for me to watch it on TV)
    so if some kind soul watching this and won't mind do brief summaries, that will be greatly appreciated image
  • cherylnguyencherylnguyen Posts: 160Member

ROOKIE

I'm following this drama without subtitle so it's hard to guess most of the part in ep 3. Lee Young Ah has a role as Dae Mok Hwanghu, mother of King Kyeong Jong. She is pretty in the scene at the beginning of ep 3. But may be in the past, there was sth happened to her and the king (Kyeong Jong) was witnessing it so he kinda scare when Hwang Bo Su stopped him from killing the people. Anyway, ep 3 was good.

I think in ep 4, both of Bo Su and her young sister will be married to the king.
  • nysophia_x_iinysophia_x_ii Posts: 376Member
    yeah, ummm well, so far what's happening is that in order to save her brother, hwang bo su, aka iron empress lol, is going to marry the king, aka her cousin. (it was a common thing in history all over the world, get over it). and so she becomes the 3rd wife of the king, whom she will continue to critique as she has in this episode about his reign and crap.
    this episode was really important mainly because it establishes 1. how she becomes queen, 2. how she got her followers (kang jo, kang gam chang, seo hee) 3. the background of her family and the emperor.

fyi for #3, her aunt, aka, her grandmother's daughter, is the king's mother. and its not too clear in this episode, but hwang bo su's grandmother is apparently a key reason why his mother died. so he has hate for her. and in the preview:

*SPOILER ALERT*

the grandmother proposes that the king marries her grandaughter, to which he flips out and is like, WTH, who do you think you are?! FINE MARRY BOTH OF THEM TO ME AND SEE HOW THEY LIVE. and she's like :.gasp.: but then marries them off anyway to prevent her precious little grandson from dying. Yah. sorry it went so informal all of a sudden image but so now, from the next episode or episode 5, her reign as queen starts :.dramatic music.: oh, and also, her son becomes the next king of goryeo. but i wonder who's son he is.....hmmm.... image
    sgsig13.jpgsgsig21.jpg
    ღ Secret Garden | My Princess | Dream High | Athena | The King of Legend | Sign ღ
    | Yoo Jae Suk | Lee Hyori | Hyun Bin | Park Jin Hee | Won Bin | Ha Ji Won | Lee Da Hae | Ji Jin Hee | Su Ae | Lee Min Jung |
    ~Support our team WITHS2~