What Would You Wear To A Bank Interview?

Guest evanescent

Guest evanescent

Any ideas? Post Pictures. The dress code is business casual but what would be a good ensemble for first impressions.

ps. I am a first year uni student, I am still young and don't want to look like I am 50, yet still look appropriate.

THANS

Guest nghister

slacks, closed toes heels, a fitted dress shirt with 3/4 sleeves (or you can wear a solid color turtle neck), and tie your hair back if it's long. Try to avoid dark and overly bright colors. Especially grey, it's so neutral and certain shades make you look dull and wimpy.

Business casual can also be very casual though. Just as long as you don't show up in jeans and tennis shoes.

Remember to smile and make lots of eye contact! Ask a fair amount of questions too!

Investment banking internship maybe? If so... lucky!

Guest deportedkorean

thats funny, i was gonna apply for a bank as well...

...anyways, i already bought an outfit i want to wear for my interview (even though i hadnt applied yet...but its just a really cute outfit):

39277152124_lg.jpg

3665558810_lg.jpg

some light/not too flashy/not too big accessories and patent leather flats and i'm good. These days, bank tellers are wearing more casual things (no to 3 piece suit) and the women are wearing much more feminine (but not revealing) clothing.

btw, I've gone to possibly more than 10 interviews (and a few group interviews) throughout my lifetime and I was always hired on the spot (but I turned down most of them), so I have a good feel for interview clothing. Oh and wear a bit of makeup so you look like you're making an effort (foundation, eyeliner, mascara, a bit of blush is always perfect). Banks want clean cut looking people.

Formal.

Pencil skirt. I prefer pencil skirts to pants. can be grey, or black.

top, stick to white or black. basic colours. no bright explosive colours.

wear a blazer if necessary.

Keep it neat, sharp and tidy.

keep hair tidy and out of your eyes.

and for makeup, keep it professional. No white eyeliner and blue eyeshadow please! :sweatingbullets:

and yes, makeup is a must.

Guest dafleur

thats funny, i was gonna apply for a bank as well...

...anyways, i already bought an outfit i want to wear for my interview (even though i hadnt applied yet...but its just a really cute outfit):

some light/not too flashy/not too big accessories and patent leather flats and i'm good. These days, bank tellers are wearing more casual things (no to 3 piece suit) and the women are wearing much more feminine (but not revealing) clothing.

btw, I've gone to possibly more than 10 interviews (and a few group interviews) throughout my lifetime and I was always hired on the spot (but I turned down most of them), so I have a good feel for interview clothing. Oh and wear a bit of makeup so you look like you're making an effort (foundation, eyeliner, mascara, a bit of blush is always perfect). Banks want clean cut looking people.

that is WAY TOO CASUAL for a serious business interview. an outfit like that would be best suited for a job in retail.

wear a full suit or dress pants/skirt + jacket.

just because the normal dress code is business casual, does not mean you should dress like that for an INTERVIEW. always dress more formally.

Guest yabbadabba

I was going to interview for bank of america (to be a teller, so it wasn't even a really high position or anything) and I was instructed to wear a suit (dress pants, button down and blazer)

they said if I didn't have a suit then wear a button down and dress pants with closed toe shoes

So dress very proffesional: don't show alot of skin, wear minimal tasteful makeup, don't wear alot of jewelry etc.

Guest *karina*

You should always dress formally for an interview unless they say otherwise.

Suits are good, or formal looking trousers with a plain colored top and a blazer (maybe a small smart neck scarf for a little extra touch, but nothing like mufflers or winter scarves). Always wear smart shoes, no sneakers, converses, fashion boots, cutesy flats etc. (closed toed heels would be a good choice as they're more formal/smart than flats or any other type of heel).

If they've told you that you can dress business casual style for the interview then a long sleeved shirt with a sweater over the top and trousers would be a good choice.

Make-up is good but don't cake it on. For hair, either straightened, decently curled or a neat up-style would be best. Don't do any messy style up do's or have casual waves or messy curls, they'll think you've made no effort with your hair.

Guest florence

i'm curious--- if you wear a blazer - does that mean you shouldn't be wearing a jacket or something over it? because it's a bit chilly to wear just a blazer but wouldn't it be weird with a blazer and a jacket?

Guest *karina*

i'm curious--- if you wear a blazer - does that mean you shouldn't be wearing a jacket or something over it? because it's a bit chilly to wear just a blazer but wouldn't it be weird with a blazer and a jacket?

Well it doesn't look good to wear a jacket or overcoat in an interview and you should take it off as soon as you arrive, so a blazer and a jacket isn't really a problem as you won't need the jacket while you're in the interview.

ive worked for 2 banks through my HS and college career (washington mutual and wells fargo) and i dressed very very conservatively to both interviews. I wouldnt wear what deportedkorean posted b/c at one bank, sleeveless was forbidden in the dress code (its not business casual,its just casual). regardless of what the dress code is for employees, you as an interviewee need to be dressed in business formal rather than business casual. my suggestion: just the simple black pants, blouse, and suit jacket. you can always dress down once you are hired but you CANNOT dress down for the interview. definitely no open toed/heel-less shoes, no skirts that are 2in above knees, always wear nylons with skirts, nothing low cut.

this waould be appropriate formal_women.jpg

Guest pockified

i've worked at a bank before and i can tell you can most tellers don't wear outfits like the one deportedkorean posted. it's fashionable, but you should keep it safe for interviews. if you're unsure of what to wear to the interview, just wear a blouse/dress shirt with black slacks and closed toe shoes. if you want to look young, just make sure the shirt and slacks are fitted but not TIGHT on you either. you can wear closed-toe pumps to make your legs look longer, or if you must because you cannot walk in heels, then wear black closed-toe flats. wear some makeup but don't over do it. mascara, very little eyeliner (if you must wear it), natural-looking lip gloss, and light to medium coverage foundation. tie your hair back into a half ponytail or you can leave it down if your hair looks clean and managed. if you can look into a mirror and think that you look "sharp" and "clean" then you should be ready to go :) good luck on your interview!

Guest taya168

ive worked for 2 banks through my HS and college career (washington mutual and wells fargo) and i dressed very very conservatively to both interviews. I wouldnt wear what deportedkorean posted b/c at one bank, sleeveless was forbidden in the dress code (its not business casual,its just casual). regardless of what the dress code is for employees, you as an interviewee need to be dressed in business formal rather than business casual. my suggestion: just the simple black pants, blouse, and suit jacket. you can always dress down once you are hired but you CANNOT dress down for the interview. definitely no open toed/heel-less shoes, no skirts that are 2in above knees, always wear nylons with skirts, nothing low cut.

this waould be appropriate formal_women.jpg

I also agree. You should definitely wear something more formal to interviews, especially at a bank! It's always advised to wear business formal clothing to interviews like this, regardless of what the actual dress code is when you're on the job.

Archived