Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you know that SoompiTV now has "We Got Married," "Dad! Where Are We Going?" and "Infinity Challenge" with subtitles? ^^v

Colored Contacts For Astigmatism?

AzNMiss x3AzNMiss x3 Sunny CaliforniaPosts: 647Member

ROOKIE

edited April 2008 in fitness & sports
A few questions.
I want to get colored contacts(purple/violet) for the summer but I have astigmatism in my left eye only. It's not bad astigmatism though, it's minor. & my prescription isn't bad, maybe like -1.50 on my left & -.50 on my right. But I'm not sure since I haven't got a check up in a year & my vision is a little blurry when I wear glasses. But I did ask my doctor if I could during my first check up last year & she said no because I have astigmatism in one eye, but I think thats bull.

So I'm wondering, is it possible to get colored contacts for astigmatism even if you only have it in one eye?
Does it hurt? How does it feel? I heard it feels weird since they rotate.
& I'm also wondering about the price range since I only want them for the summer(June - August).

Thanks for any help since I'm really confused.

Replies

• darlingdarling meow SocalPosts: 1,271Friend of Soompi
    I think it should be possible. I'm pretty sure my optometrist told me so because I was also told I have astigmatism.
    It is a little more expensive to get contacts for astigmatism though, thus the reason I have yet to do so..
    I'm sure the price will not be too over the top if you only get them for 3 months (:
    Make sure you look online for free trial certificates that you can take to your optometrist, that way you can see which color you like best on yourself if you want more than just purple/violet (:.
  • choliesecholiese 비시✰ Posts: 3,966Friend of Soompi

IDOL

I've been wondering about this too; didn't know astigmatism can have colored lenses
  • xstarBURSTxstarBURST no. somewhere in a box.Posts: 4,724Member

IDOL

yeah you can. But the thing you have the buy the box, you can't buy a single pair. But yeah if your eyesight is above -5. you can't wear coloured contacts. My optometrist told me that I can wear coloured contacts its just that companies don't produce them since its not in demand. But i'm going to keep asking him until i find some that there is image

Well when you first wear them they slide around your eyes because it's not fitted. You gotta wear them a lot before it becomes fitted for your eye. Like any other contacts the only time it hurts is when you put it in inside out.
  • easilyboredguheasilyboredguh VA, USAPosts: 167Member
    You can def. get colored contacts for astigmatism. I had astigmatism and I had colored contacts for 3 years. But then again, I had astigmatism in both eyes so they were both the same brand. However, my brother only had astigmatism in one eye so the contacts were actually diff. brands. One brand was for astigmatism and the other wasnt. So I guess you just have to find a brand with a colors for non-astigmatism and astigmatism wearers. The astigmatism contacts are like any other contacts, they might hurt at first but after a few days, they wont. Well, the thing is, all contacts rotate. But for people with non-astigmatism, it doesnt matter because the contacts are refracted the same all the way around so even if it does rotate, they don't really notice it. However, for people with astigmatism, the refraction from your eyes have to match up with the refraction on the contacts so when the contacts aren't perfectly in place, things get blurry. Most of the time, your eyes will automatically move the contacts back into place, but sometimes it doesnt. So when that happens, I usually just move it back manually. I've worn astigmatism contacts for so long that I can tell which way to move it back and by how much. It's a pain though. Anyway, I hope that helps.
  • deppstardeppstar SingaporePosts: 3,375Member
    ^ u can? image

I was told there are no coloured contacts for astigmatism. in alot of places.

my astig is quite high, maybe that's why.

I know that for some people who has low/minor astig, they use normal contact lens, but they will tweek the degrees to compensate for the astig.
  • AzNMiss x3AzNMiss x3 Sunny CaliforniaPosts: 647Member

ROOKIE

Thanks for the reply everyone image

I'm just wondering now what the price range would be for my left eye with astigmatism only.

Also, my friend has astigmatism but his doctor just gave him regular contacts because he said it was so low you didn't need contacts for astigmatism. Isn't that still bad though??
  • tjgpfla722tjgpfla722 United StatesPosts: 19Member
    I have astigmatism and I wear blue colored contacts.. But I have it in both eyes.
    So I pay about.. $130-$140 for 6 pairs :/
  • tinatran_tinatran_ canada! 8DPosts: 4,988Member

IDOL

yes, you can get colored contacts for astigmatism =D but you can only get certain colors. i have the same perscription as you but in the opposite eyes xD well, anyways, when i went to get fitted for color contacts, they said they only had blue, green, grey and honey from FreshLook. i was hoping to get purple, but they said it was only for people that didn't have astigmatism T______T but i think you can ask them if other brands have purple contacts for astigmatism ?
    take a peek at my sunshine.jpg
    10 pairs of eyelashes = $8 SHIPPED?! =O
  • hunnybunnyhunnybunny Posts: 364Member
    QUOTE (AzNMiss x3 @ Apr 4 2008, 06:36 PM) »
    Thanks for the reply everyone :)

I'm just wondering now what the price range would be for my left eye with astigmatism only.

Also, my friend has astigmatism but his doctor just gave him regular contacts because he said it was so low you didn't need contacts for astigmatism. Isn't that still bad though??

Like some of the other soompiers have been saying - Yes, it is possible to get colored contacts if you have astigmatism - DEPENDING on how bad your astigmatism is (your doctor will be able to tell you whether or not you are a candidate for colored contact lenses upon examination). The downside is, toric (the term used for contacts that correct astigmatism) colored lenses are undoubtedly going to be more expensive than their non-toric counterparts, mostly based on the fact that they will be made-to-order. Pricing will depend on the doctor's offices that you go to, since they are able to set their own prices for contact lenses. I've worked for three different optometrists' offices, and the colored lenses have ranged from $300 - $500 for a year supply. Most colored lenses come as a monthly lens, meaning that you will have to buy at least a 6 month supply (= 1 box), because they come 6 lenses to a box. Seeing as how you have astigmatism in only one eye, and you want it only for the summer, you will be paying roughly $75 - $125 just for the one eye alone (again, these price estimations are rough bc they are dependent on your doctor and the area in which you live). And, like someone else already stated, colors from which you can pick from are generally limited.

There are options for colored lenses if you have very high astigmatism though; these contacts tend to be yearly (meaning that it is only one lens that you wear for a full year before disposing). The yearly contacts are extremely expensive though - $100 - $200 for one lens alone.

And, to answer your second question concerning your friend - astigmatism is corrected only when it reaches a certain level. There are three numbers to your prescription:

-3.00 - 0.50 X 070 (an example prescription for one eye)

The first number is called the sphere. The second number (i.e. -0.50) is the astigmatism. If that number is less than -0.75, it does not have to be corrected, bc it can be compensated for by increasing the sphere an additional step. If the astigmatism number is -0.75 and above, yes - it needs to be a toric lens bc no amount of over-compensation in the sphere will get rid of the fuzziness that goes along with astigmatism.

Hope this helps! (and sorry for the long reply)

ROOKIE

edited April 2008
    ^
    Thanks for your reply image
    It was very very helpful.

Okay I found my prescription.
    It's -0.25 on my left with astigmatism(don't know the numbers) & -0.75 on my right eye.
    I remember they said I won't be able to get contacts for my left eye since it's too low but I'm pretty sure my vision got worse.
    But if I can't get contacts for my left eye, I can still get cosmetic contacts right??
  • im` l0vEdim` l0vEd x3 CALiPosts: 2,573Friend of Soompi
    ^ thats too little anyways?

the optometrist will just prescribe regular ones

if it gets worse tho, they will give you colored contacts for astigmatism.
  • lov[ii]nlov[ii]n ?amazing AustraliaPosts: 2,156Friend of Soompi
    QUESTION ~

do you think people with astig shouldnt be wearing CIRCLE lenses?

like dueba gng tutti... but they are fine with other brands like freshlook?
    img10444460579.jpg
     â–ˆâ•«â™¡â•«â–ˆ surveys currently inactive - but lmk what surveys u want in the future â–ˆâ•«â™¡â•«â–ˆ 
    {★} LITTLE WONDERS SHOP {★} ALL NEW STOCKS ARRIVED! currently uploading and updating inventory! please be patient! it is going to be EPIC! :) DO CHECK BACK OFTEN!!
    ❤ {MY REQUESTS}  & {THE STATUS THREAD} â¤

ROOKIE

^
    I think all people shouldn't be wearing circle lenses at all.
    Aren't they dangerous?
    I now all lenses are but these are more dangerous than contacts here in the US right?

ROOKIE

QUOTE (hunnybunny @ Apr 4 2008, 08:31 PM) »
    Like some of the other soompiers have been saying - Yes, it is possible to get colored contacts if you have astigmatism - DEPENDING on how bad your astigmatism is (your doctor will be able to tell you whether or not you are a candidate for colored contact lenses upon examination). The downside is, toric (the term used for contacts that correct astigmatism) colored lenses are undoubtedly going to be more expensive than their non-toric counterparts, mostly based on the fact that they will be made-to-order. Pricing will depend on the doctor's offices that you go to, since they are able to set their own prices for contact lenses. I've worked for three different optometrists' offices, and the colored lenses have ranged from $300 - $500 for a year supply. Most colored lenses come as a monthly lens, meaning that you will have to buy at least a 6 month supply (= 1 box), because they come 6 lenses to a box. Seeing as how you have astigmatism in only one eye, and you want it only for the summer, you will be paying roughly $75 - $125 just for the one eye alone (again, these price estimations are rough bc they are dependent on your doctor and the area in which you live). And, like someone else already stated, colors from which you can pick from are generally limited.

There are options for colored lenses if you have very high astigmatism though; these contacts tend to be yearly (meaning that it is only one lens that you wear for a full year before disposing). The yearly contacts are extremely expensive though - $100 - $200 for one lens alone.

And, to answer your second question concerning your friend - astigmatism is corrected only when it reaches a certain level. There are three numbers to your prescription:

-3.00 - 0.50 X 070 (an example prescription for one eye)

The first number is called the sphere. The second number (i.e. -0.50) is the astigmatism. If that number is less than -0.75, it does not have to be corrected, bc it can be compensated for by increasing the sphere an additional step. If the astigmatism number is -0.75 and above, yes - it needs to be a toric lens bc no amount of over-compensation in the sphere will get rid of the fuzziness that goes along with astigmatism.

Hope this helps! (and sorry for the long reply)

I got my prescription. My left eye with astigmatism is -0.25 -0.75 x 165.
    So this means that I can't get lens to correct my vision but I can get cosmetic lens for my astigmatism right??
    Sorry very confuse.

& thanks for any help image
  • beckiibeckii 한번뿐인 인생 이렇게 살수 없어. Posts: 4,668Member

IDOL

edited April 2008
    ^what? according to your prescription you have -0.75 astigmatism in your left eye. as hunnybunny said, any astig below -0.75DC can be compensated by simply using a higher spherical prescription. so, in this case you would be able to use a spherical lens of around -0.50DS for your left eye.

coloured contacts have their own issues regarding oxygen permeability etc, but thats another matter.
    힙합간지남♥
    facebook. twitter. tumblr.
  • PogichinoyPogichinoy I ♥ SydneyPosts: 7,272Member

IDOL

I've spoken to my optometrist about this and yes its possible, however, since you have astigmatism, you will have to settle for a contact lens that has a weaker grade since it cannot be custom made to suit your eye's prescription.
    My blog My 411 I love all things strawberry
  • heartsxdesireheartsxdesire CanadaPosts: 44Member
    edited April 2008
    Check out Durasoft 3 Optifit Toric Colorblends for those of you who have astigmatism and wish to wear colour contacts! They are a bit pricey, but i guess beauty has its price image I believe that brand is the only color contact brand at the moment with the most colors offered and also for people with high astigmatism degrees...

honestly, for your level of astigmatism i am sure you can get custom made contact lenses.. color and clear. I have a "rare" prescription as the doctors tell me and i can still get custom made contact lenses so yeah..

but alot of opticians tell me that custom made color contacts for people with astigmatism are not the disposable kinds. They are changed on a yearly basis, hence the reason why its more pricey!