Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Wearing Braces Help Change The Shape Of Your Face?

Lil_acheLil_ache BrossardPosts: 227Member
Or make your mouth protrudes less? (i mean without the braces)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• miss_kizunamiss_kizuna Bay Area, CaliforniaPosts: 634Friend of Soompi
    it changes the shape of your chin (from a profile perspective)...

and if your bite is off, it might straighten out your face/smile a bit.

but don't expect TOO much. its all very subtle.

• AestasAestas Posts: 2,282Member
    it changed my side profile a lot. then again, i had 4 teeth pulled and i had braces to push my teeth back to close the gap. so it wasn't just straightening my teeth. before i had braces, my mouth area stuck out in the side profile pics...
  • sixth.sixth. ? Posts: 3,575Member
    my overbite was corrected and i had 4 teeth pulled out, which made my jaw appear slightly slimmer.
    but then it all went back to normal when my wisdom teeth grew in -__-
  • Xiaoba1tuXiaoba1tu AustraliaPosts: 4,007Member

ROOKIE

edited March 2008
    Yes it does if you are aligning the bottom row of teeth. Your jaw will be smaller.
    Just before the braces are fixed, people usually get some teeth extracted so your jaw/mouth will be a different shape.
    The shape of your face won't change that much.
  • x`aNNiie.x`aNNiie. AustraliaPosts: 3,505Member
    My jaw is smaller. =]. And chin is pointier.

-KeY;;<33-

• odetosummerodetosummer Posts: 25Member
    made my chin go out a bit more (it was too far back before), so the chin looks stronger...and it gave me slight lisp >.>
  • vc1188vc1188 Hong Kong (currently)Posts: 5,317Member

TRAINEE

It made my chin more prominent, and I developed an underbite image hahah my changes were definitely negative..
    current...
    .book readings for: hk society, hk social policy, social geography, globalization & information society....... fun times.
    .tv shows gossip girl; how i met your mother; the office; grey's anatomy; 30 rock
    .music kings of leon; late night alumni; the hush sound; slumdog millionaire soundtrack
  • Ll 7lLl 7l Posts: 83Member
    I got braces in middle school, so it's been a while, but...

Before braces, I had a huge overbite which made it seem like my chin was pushed back. My overbite was so bad that my top teeth always protruded over my bottom lip, so I never really closed my mouth.

However, after braces, my profile is now balanced. I can close my mouth perfectly, and my chin doesn't protrude. It also gave my face a softer appearance because when I had the overbite my features were exaggerated. It gave me a much more feminine and 'peaceful' look.

My experience is much like the posters above me.
    avi credits: me
  • crescentgirlcrescentgirl Posts: 1Member
    it really does change the shape of your face!! i used to be real chubby till i got my braces stint. it sharpened my chin, my nose and my cheek bones became higher. your dentist would help to 'shift' your teeth to achieve these effect so you'd really look better
  • rainetterainette Posts: 252Member
    Oh I've been looking for answers all over the web! Thank you!

I have chubby (around the jaw) cheeks. And I've been putting on weight ><
    And I'm getting braces few weeks later x(
    Hopefully it does help trim down my face a little. I always look fat and bloated. Gaaa.

=D
  • boodiceboodice Posts: 269Banned
    i dont think kirk douglas or that actor for superman or arnold ever had braces

so they had manly chins

but if u get braces and teeth taken out - u end up looking more girly for sure.
  • xskyixskyi Smile for me... Posts: 2,371Member
    I was like YES when I read that braces can change your faceshape, but it seems like it either doesn't change much or it really will really change haha.

To bad I dont know if I will get braces, hope so because I want to get my Jawline to press in?
    yeahyeah...

Thanks for the info guys!
  • oreoooreoo Posts: 1,664Member
    before I got braces, no one really asked me what ethnicity I was because they all said that I was Chinese.
    During braces, MANY people asked me if I was Korean?
    I asked them, 'no, do I look like one? how come?'
    They told me that my facial structure.. my jaw made me look korean?

haha.. I guess it does then
    imageimage
    [● ▲ ●] Cake@June // I Visual Star! // Last.fm

• skimcheeskimchee G?? ?? ? NOVAPosts: 1,346Friend of Soompi
    if the protuding is caused by an over/underbite,
    then yes it will fix that shape.

but overall, braces do change the shape of your mouth/jaw.
    [2NE1 LONELY COVER CONTEST]
    http://youtu.be/1VKjOEONJow
  • itstimeitstime Posts: 26Member
    but also keep in mind that even without braces, face structure changes as you grow up. so that's an uncontrolled variable right there.
  • chitahchitah USAPosts: 2,281Member
    i dont think u can do much. some people even have to get surgery for that O_o
  • x. sukix. suki ? ??? ??! ? &#9733; FTISLAND --Posts: 3,415Member
    nahh it doesn't change the shape of your face much at all
  • NanaNana ??? IllinoisePosts: 2,784Member
    QUOTE (miss_kizuna @ Mar 12 2008, 10:27 PM) »
    it changes the shape of your chin (from a profile perspective)...

and if your bite is off, it might straighten out your face/smile a bit.

but don't expect TOO much. its all very subtle.

Yeah. It also depends how bad your teeth are or your overbite, I think you get more noticeable results the worse your mouth is. But if you don't have and overbite or protruding teeth I don't think it'll do much besides straighten your teeth which won't make a difference to your face shape.
  • sooitsmesooitsme Posts: 159Member
    .. braces are for your teeth.
    so no, they won't change your facial features.
    i had to get braces for jaw surgery.. now THAT changed my the shape of my face
    .. so unless you're getting surgery.. no.. it won't change anything.

Please read the signature rules
  • shakepearshakepear CDN.Posts: 190Member
    FOR ME, YES.
    I ALWAYS HAD AN UNDERBITE BUT ALWAYS HAD A SHARP POINTY CHIN SINCE CHILDHOOD.
    BUT DURING THE MIDDLE OF MY ADOLESCENCE, MY FACE SHAPE STARTED GETTING ROUND AND FAT DUE TO THE UNDERBITE AND FAT STARTED TO BUILD UP ON ONE SIDE OF THE CHIN AND NECK DUE TO THE UNEVEN ANGLES. BUT AFTER I GOT BRACES IT CORRECTED THIS AND MY FACE SHAPE IS A LOT SLIMMER AND OVAL NOT ROUND ANYMORE, BUT MY FACE IS SLIGHTLY STILL UNEVEN..ORTHODONTIST SAID THIS CANT BE FIXED FOR ME BECAUSE I GOT MY BRACES A TAD TO LATE..SHOULDVE GOTTEN THEM EARLIER.