Looking for some advice, please! [Update 2]

Guest Cablebox

Guest Cablebox

So there is this guy that I met two years ago when I started working at the same company as him. We had really hit it off with having the same interests and hobbies, plus it was very easy to talk to each other about anything. After knowing him for a year (we exchanged phone numbers) he then sent me a text to have dinner with him. I was honestly surprised and very happy but it seemed like fate was keeping us apart, I had to say no twice because the first time I had a family dinner and the second time I was waiting for a phone call for a job interview (we both hate working at the company we are at). After that he never asked me out for dinner again but we did not drift apart. I honestly still feel guilty about it but I have not brought it up and neither has he in any of our conversations.

I still like him and we would hang out at work, have lunch together (if he saw me in the lunch room he would come and sit down and vise-versa) but not outside of work due to our rotating hours. Since we are both into gaming he started talking about a game called Destiny on the PS4 and how he got a Beta code to give me so that we could play it together. I agreed and enjoyed it even though I usually don't play first person shooters. I liked it so much and playing the game with him that I bought it and played for hours with him on the first day it was released. We play every night and constantly use the PS4 chat to complete the strikes and the bounties together. At the end of each session I say "have a good night" and he would reply back "you too".

Now he had recently learned of a new job that he had told me about so that we could work at the same company together. He had gotten an offer that he is starting in two weeks but I am still waiting for a call back for an interview. I am also leaving the country on the same day he is starting his new job to visit my family overseas for a little over a week. There is another game that is coming out that we were both looking forward to; Assassin's Creed Unity. It was to be released October 28th which is the day after I leave and he said he would wait for me to get back so that we could play it together but the date was pushed to November 11th.

Honestly, I still think that he likes me. But I really want to get some outside advice as to what I could do to let him know that I like him and to find out if he truly likes me. I constantly smile at him and he smiles back or vise-versa and our eyes meet when he or I walk by. I like shopping at International stores and bring him Japanese snacks once in a while that I find he might like to try.

Please help me out fellow Soompiers, both guys and girls!

Guest Cablebox

err. is this an ad? i really dont know anymore.

Lol it's not an ad at all. I just wondered if him asking to play video games with me and waiting until I get back from overseas either in a girl's or guy's perspective might have a deeper meaning.

Guest Cablebox

Maybe ask him on a date, like a "come out with me before I leave" kind of thing, and then try to kiss him at the end and see how he reacts. 

I don't think I could be that brave to kiss him out of the blue but thanks for replying!

you should prob make some moves. it doesn't matter if you had legit excuses the first two times he asked you out, because after 2 rejections, you have to prove to him you're still in this, that you are in fact interested. you need to make the next move. he already made 2 moves, is he supposed to make 3 when you haven't made any? just because nothing came to fruition doesn't mean he hasn't budged, he has, twice actually, so you gotta do something before he starts talking himself into believing you're not interested. just say, "we never got to have dinner together yet, let's do it before I leave." eh I just got that from combining jly31 and endlessxlove's posts, but you get the point, you need to do something, ask him out, have dinner with him, or otherwise make an excuse to hang out with him outside work. if he is in fact interested in you, then he should be able to tell by your actions that you are, giving him enough confidence to continue the pursuit, but for now, he's waiting to see what your stance is.

Yup, as the others suggested, just ask him out. He's probably afraid of rejection if he asks you again. To some guys asking a girl out really takes some balls. I actually just asked a guy I was interested in out to eat, and he said yes. So you never know what happens. And if you never ask, the answer is always no. I feel like girls shouldn't be too traditional and waiting for the opposite sex to do the initiating. If you want it, go get it. It's something I learned over the summer. And it made me so much more open and brave to ask a guy out.

Guest Cablebox

Thank you everyone that replied, I really appreciate it :)

So I got the job offer for the same position that he had gotten and insisted that I apply for. I haven't asked him out to dinner yet but I will do it today and see where it will progress from there.

You could not go to dinner with him for two times, so maybe now he is a little bit confused. Clear that up girl! Put the controllers down and take this guy to dinner, so that you can hook up together. Playing is not resolving anything, you are just escaping from reality.

Guest Cablebox

So I asked him if he would like to have dinner sometime and he said yes. He asked if sushi would be okay and I agreed but we haven't decided when we would go; that was Thursday. I casually brought it up today (Saturday) and asked "so when do you want to go?" and he answered with "I don't know." The conversation died there during our gaming session. I am really confused and what should I do? I don't want to seem pushy to him. Could it be because I said we should go for dinner sometime instead of picking an actual date?

Guest luxbunni

I think it's time to bring out the two dinner tickets he gave you earlier. 
"Yo hey, remember you wanted to have dinner with me? I have time now!"  ;;)

he was probably too focused on gaming hence the vague answer. find a place and say lets go there on (insert day). dont make it into a question. if he flakes, then you shoud re-assess about trying to enter a relationship with him regardless of whether he has feelings for you or not. i know if i pull this sort of richard simmons, women wouldnt think twice.

Guest jmax0920

Honestly I think you should tell the guy how you honestly feel, because on one hand he could like you back. OR he could just think of you as a friend. Guys don't get subtle hints you drop and need to have the truth told straight to them otherwise they will misunderstand.So just tell him you like him, because if you don't you will most likely keep waiting until the 'right' moment comes, but if the right moment doesn't come then you will regret it. 

Guest Cablebox

Hello again everyone! I'm happy for the awesome advice!

I didn't mention the dinner again to him but at our new workplace there is a sushi place nearby that I didn't know about. On our lunch break he asked if I would eat lunch with him. I agreed and he paid the bill with no hesitation. He said that I can get the next bill when we go for lunch. Now even from my previous boyfriends I never really liked to have a guy pay for me every single time except for Valentines Day, birthdays, etc. It was always I pay one day then he would pay the next time, etc. Do a lot of guys take this approach or did I date guys that were the exception?

And what I have realized is that he is opening up to me by talking about his family without me even asking. Even where his family is from and trips he took when he was a kid. I think he's maybe testing the waters and taking it slow which I really don't mind as I want to learn more about him.

Do you think I have a chance with him?

Some days crossing that line into asking someone out on a date can seem to be hardest thing to do.

Case in point a bit over a year ago I'd gotten back in contact with a girl I'd known and we got to messaging a lot though we lived on opposite sides of the world, I at the time was in the UK and she in Asia. After some back and forthn and a few brave decisons on my part, we ended up putting together some plans and basically had a week long date in Amsterdam. We've been together coming on 18 months now xD

@Cablebox
It's great to hear some good news. I am the same as you. I use to take turn paying as well. I think that is fair and it will be less stressful for the guy.
I like how he is opening up and talk about his family. Are you doing the same?If he likes to spend time with you and talk to you about personal issues it sounds promising. Do remember that you also have to ask him out for lunch/dinner sometimes. This way he will know you are interested and like his company.
You know, sometimes some relationships just naturally develop into a girlfriend/boyfriend relationship without needing to outwardly label it.

How old are you both? In my opinion I feel that he likes you. Even that said you wont be satisfied with how others view it untill you hear it from him. I think you shouldnt rush it, but move forward to know him personally. Hes opening up about his family means hes becoming a lot comfortable with you. You as well should open up and have deeper conversations now and then. Sometimes a girl has to help the guy realize that she has feelings by suggesting to have lunch rather him all the time. You have to slowly show a more caring side... change up what you text him. Oppose to "have a good night" text "sleep well and have a good night. See you tomorrow at work!" Or be friendly flirtatious "Have a good night , lunch again tomorrow?" It gives him hints that you enjoy his company without him asking or feeling "friendzoned". Good luck !! Keep us updated ♡

Guest Cablebox

@jly31

I agree, it just doesn't seem fair to me for a guy to pay all the time. There has to be a balance. Yes, I tell him about my family as well but I find at times he is very quiet when we have conversations. It kind of feels like he is becoming more shy the more I spend time with him.

@RingoStarx3

I'm 25 and he is 27. I definitely do not want to rush it, I really want it to come naturally but it feels like he is hesitant at times to open up more recently. Then again it is more difficult to talk since we are both in training at our new jobs (same position) but I don't know what to make of it. I try to show him that he isn't "friendzoned" but I'm kind of worried that he might think that way. Are there any subtle hints that I could drop to give him a nudge in the right direction?

Archived