How long need to wear retainer

cutebublebear

idk but i've worn my retainers (every night) for 5 years and for the past year or so, i've been getting lazy and i've been wearing it once every month or two and i can see that my teeth have been starting to shift. its not very noticeable but still noticeable so now i've been trying to wear them at least once a week haha.

Guest I_play_with_dolls

The thing is your teeth is going to shift no matter how long you wear your retainers, if you take them off for a month, even after five years, it will still shift. I haven't worn my in about two years, I can still put them on but of course the fit is extremely tight and painful for a few days. It's just the matter of are you okay with it shifting or do you want it PERFECT straight? I had braces for three years and although since I haven't worn my retainers, my teeth still are pretty straight as is although they shifted a little. They're not crooked looking unless you actually look into my mouth closely.

Guest mightyleaf

This is an issue that you should speak to your dentist about. This isn't something where you ask random people on a forum and blindly following their unprofessional advice.

• 1 month later...

Technically the retainer is supposed to be worn for the rest of your life if you want to keep your teeth the same way it was when you took off your retainer. However, you could probably only wear it on the weekends and not have your teeth shift that much or at all after a couple of years wearing it every day. I don't know about once a month though. But honestly as long as the two front teeth are straight then the natural shifts of the teeth to the side make the face seem more natural and welcoming which is something I read.

• 4 months later...
Guest WillardRamirez

On average, however, once the braces are put on, they usually remain in place for one to three years. After braces are removed, most patients will need to wear a retainer all the time for the first six months, then only during sleep for many years.

Archived