People's judgements and thoughts/perception of you. How do you handle it?

Guest chimpchim

Guest chimpchim

Hello. I just wanted to share a story and would like an objective view from people that I don't know. It seems that when friends talk they come from a place of sympathy where they try to put a positive twist, but I invite you guys to offer your realistic thoughts about this situation and objective advice.
Me and a couple of friends were invited to this big party where all the people that we are connected with and are acquaintances with. Anyways, I've been having a lot of family problems and issues and was stuck in middle of it not able to do anything. Basically, I just wanted to drink all my problems away and run away from my emotions. We all took about 1 shot every 10 seconds. And me being a lightweight (I sometimes get tipsy off of 1 beer) wanted to drown in being drunk. I took total of around 13 shots. One thing led to another and I remember nothing but laying down and some friends of mine came to try and get me back home. And all I remember was I just started crying, i mean literally bawling. here's a grown richard simmons 21 year old just bawling who usually has a tough/bad boy image. To shine some light, at that time my little brother told a psychiatrist that he wants to commit suicide because of his brother beating him and all the issues that we've had as a family, and he entered a mental hospital for 2 months. there were so much guilt associated with that. Number two my step mom of the time who I honestly dearly loved, told me she never really thought of me as a son. after 10 years of living together. that if she wishes she never met me and that i never came into her life. Those words were struck me for betrayal. Number three I remember i was looking for my real mom and there were rumors that none knows where she is and some people even told me she was in a hospital very sick nearing death. And to top it off, I just always felt like my so called family, wasn't my family. they were just there to feed me and no emotional connection what so ever.  I was dead exhausted, stressed, depressed, and I guess the liquor finally did it. I just sobbed and cried non stop. I think it was for like 2 hours straight. And I just couldn't stop. it was built up so much to a point where I couldn't even control myself, I felt so weak, powerless. 
Anyways, if this was in private I would've had no problems moving on. for it seems that everyone once in awhile has to cry, even the toughest men. However, this was in front of literally everyone. I had a girl come up to me and ask me what's wrong, and when i just kept crying and said "why is my life like this why is this happening to me" she stormed off saying, thanks for richard simmons ruining everyone's like and crying like a richard simmons. Meanwhile, all my close friends were there to honestly support me and serve me empathy. But at the sometime all those people, acquiantances also sat there judging, wow i didn't know he was such a richard simmons. can't even handle his liquor and emotions. 
Anyways, i would like to say that it doesn't bother me but it does. I believe every one of us to a point cares about how people think of you and perceive you. It just seems like now people see me differently, perceive me as a weak person, "a b****", and won't take me seriously due to that fact. It's pretty embarrassing and shameful that happened. It's been a year and i still feel humiliated. Just for the fact that I have this tough guy bad boy image but yet everyone thinks I'm just fronting. which would've never happened if i wasn't drunk. I literally threw up for an hour straight.

Anyways, here's my question. Have you guys, men especially, ever done anything like this? And if so how'd you handle it? Or with how people perceive you. 
Advices like just richard simmons em and move on seems very reasonable but at the sometime lets be real. I'll run into these people over and over again. and i just can't seem to get over it.
Anyways cheers to your objective advices. Thank you for reading and your help. god bless.

use this opportunity as a fresh start. cant forever hold a bad richard simmons image, not to mention how tiresome it is. when you dont give a richard simmons about what people think of you, life just becomes that much brighter. annoyingly enough, a lot of times it has the reverse effect where you attract more people than you like into your life. richard simmons flys everywhere.

Try to move on from it. Let that memory of the incident go. Many of them will forget about it, some won't. In the end, what they remember or think about you doesn't matter. The outsiders are meaningless people. Let them judge you because it won't phase you.

I've tainted my image with different groups and communities in the past. Since I was ignorant and naive at the time, I didn't even think about it. I just lived on with my life and right now, not a single person from my past is still with me. So I feel that what I did or whatever happened is long gone and doesn't matter anymore. Unless someone from my history returns.

I grew up getting bullied, verbally assaulted, and picked on. So I have very think, steel skin. I chuckle if acquaintances or strangers mock or insult me.

Archived