Laughter.

Guest Keion

I have heard...

That long ago, in some village, there a stranger come by, who could not stop laughing. The villagers were put off by this strange man, and immediately sought to ostracize him from the village.

Though, one by one, as they came to this stranger, they lost the spirit to throw him out, as they were quickly disarmed by his hysterical laughter. They too joined him in laughing.

And upon hearing this news, the village leader himself was infuriated, and when he came into the village Inn, seeking to throw the stranger out with his own hands, he saw the whole of the village in the Inn, cheering in hysterical laughter with the stranger.

The village leader joined them in mere moments, and his anger was no more, as if it had never been there to begin with.

And no one knew what they were laughing at.

Not even the stranger knew, but is there really a reason to laugh?

There are times, in meditation, where I will abruptly begin laughing quite hysterically. And at no other time do I laugh as hard as I do when I meditate. No joke or belittling has ever made me laugh as hard.

And as the meditation deepens, the laughter builds on itself, and the laughter goes on. It's an uproarious laughter. And it is utterly cleansing, of all stresses and personal mishaps.

The laughter begins when I am reminded of the sheer pointless madness that is Life; in utter surrender to my own purposelessness. And then the laughter builds on itself, until it hurts too much to laugh.

This has happened when I was around others, and the first reaction is often confusion and perhaps a little annoyance. But it is soon gone, and before you know it, everyone is laughing with me for minutes on end.

I can say, that when the laughter deepens considerably, there is an "evaporating" affect. As if I am suddenly no more, and there is nothing there, but the sound of laughter.

Discuss?

Guest chindarella

I read a quote once that went along the lines of "the human race having only one effective weapon in life, and that is laughter". So yeah, I do agree with you about it having a sort of evaporating effect. 
However, if someone were to just randomly start laughing, I think it is natural that people will be a bit annoyed or weirded out just because it is not really 'normal' for someone to just start laughing by themselves. Which is really sad when you think about it because why should we be judged for being happy and laughing? But we do judge, and I am probably one of those people. 
When things happen that are out of the norm, people get scared and think that there is something wrong with the person, just like in the story you told of the stranger. We immediately think there is something wrong with them, and jump to all these negative conclusions...

Now it is time for me to respond to all these many responses you gave me. (Ha ha)

There is nothing to respond to.

Who responds to a post about laughing? I didn't even make any funny jokes lol.

But there is nothing ever to really discuss. You discuss something enough, and then you start seeing the humor in it. It's maddening. If people really questioned things, you would come to a point where there is just nothing to talk about. You come to the conclusion, "Just because".

Uproarious laughter happens upon a most crucial realization. It is the ultimate joke.

And it is natural to be weirded out!

Observe the evaporating and disarming affects of Laughter. Only a fool would not be concerned, for now in moments he too will be disarmed, and evaporated in that maddening pointless laughter.

Laughter makes fools of everything and everyone. Serious people are most afraid of it. They want to gather some epic, deep meaning of their work and their life. They want to believe so whole heartedly that their life has meaning, and that if they were to be squashed by a meteor, then existence could not possibly go on without them.

But then you make him laugh, and all this rubbish vanishes as if it was never there. Because it wasn't. It was all in his head.

And amidst the laughter, what fool questions existence and the purpose of it? Who is worried about the future now?

No one. There is no one there.

• 1 month later...

Archived