Herbivore Men: What do girls think?

livingforhistory

I first read about these guys in an article talking about a certain segment of the male population in Japan. However, I don't think it's just something specific to Japanese culture of society. I think they exist in western cultures as well. Maybe in western cultures, the media refuses to pay attention to the plight of these men but they exist nevertheless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbivore_men

Are girls aware that these type of guys exist? These aren't always your typical losers of society. Often times, they are contributing members of society who are self-sufficient, financially stable, well-educated and outwardly seem like they have a lot of things going for them but are actually inwardly broken and have essentially given up on trying to get a girlfriend or wife.

I won't go into detail for the many reasons why these men are broken but I think this problem is more prevalent, particularly in our modern technology-driven society, than meets the eye. Japan is simply the first country to truly bring some light to it but I believe guys like this exist in every developed country.

I would like to make a distinction between herbivore men and men who are afflicted with hikkikomori. That's totally different. Herbivore men aren't sad losers who stay in the room of their parents' house all day and free load off them. Herbivore men have jobs. They're financially independent. They have hobbies and friends. But somewhere along the line, they suffered either heavy rejection or bad experiences from women to the point where they no longer feel it's worth it to approach or seek out female companionship.

Now, it's worth to note that the male species is hardwired to wish to seek out female companionship. It's just hardwired. Therefore, it would take some pretty negative experiences for men to choose to stop pursing women altogether and have essentially given up.

The sad part of all this is that, these men, they're permanently off the dating market. And nobody is aware of this. Nobody talks about it. Women aren't even aware certain men around them have just given up. These men could have been perfectly good guys for certain girls but for a kaleidscope of complex reasons have just given up.

I am not seeking to place the blame on women. I am not passing judgment. I do not know the reasons for this. Actually, nobody really does. There are only theories.

These men can't seek any comfort either. Relatives and family will think they're strange. Their male friends will think they're losers and can't understand why "they can't just go out there and get girls." There is no sympathy at all for them from anyone.

I admit that I am one of these kind of men. I wasn't always this way but over the years, I've become a herbivore. Like most straight men, I am hardwired to desire and seek out female companionship. At some point, the pain and risk of rejection just wasn't worth it anymore. Every time I get my hopes up about a particular girl, it doesn't work out. After years of seeing my male friends who don't even try half as hard as me get girls, I can't help but feel something is wrong with me. I've always felt it's because I'm not physically unattractive but then I see another guy who I think is in some ways even less physically attractive than me manage to find success. If I knew what was wrong, I'd fix it. I think a lot of herbivore men feel that way. If they knew what they were doing wrong, they'd fix it. But pride gets in the way. Who the hell wants to hear about all the things they are lacking? Nobody.

There is no solution.

I'm asking how girls feel about these kind of men but I don't know why I bother. I don't think they will offer any sympathy. These men are easily pegged as losers or somehow "weak" even though these men if you looked at them on the surface and at their livelihoods and careers, they're anything but weak or loser-ish. There's something deeper going on. But these men aren't going to get any sympathy from their male friends nor from females.

Archived