How long does it take you to figure out this person likes you?

Ninshark

I met a girl today and I talked briefly and got her contact info. After work I texted her and we texted back forth for a good couple hours and then she abruptly stopped. And it inspired me to think of something... let's just say- in case she's not interested and that's the reason why she stopped talking to me. did she figure out that I might be interested in her?

So here's the question to you people, mostly interested in girls' responses, but guys are welcome too because I'm a guy and I want to see if I'm on the same page as everyone else. I'm not asking how you can tell if someone likes you, what signs does a person give etc... I'm asking, how long does it usually take to figure it out? There are a few scenarios... you are interested, you are not interested. I'm pretty sure it works like this, if you're interested, it takes you longer to figure it out, plus you're actually a bit nervous about whether they like you back. If you're not interested, you notice very quickly.

So let's just set up this scenario... you meet someone and you exchange numbers. Then they contact you, they always respond to w/e. It's neither fast nor slow, there's not really a rhythm. It's not one of those painfully obvious he likes you scenarios in which he texts back in 30 seconds while he waits for you to text back.. 15 min. later, repeat. How long does it take for you to figure it out? Do you ever figure it out? How often do you figure it out the first day and how often later, some other day? Girls, guys, tell me your thoughts? I know this can be subjective depending on how obvious the guy is, so I wouldn't mind if you listed all the different times and how long for each.

rather than trying to figure out what their intentions are, if they are contacting me at regular intervals, ill just assume that they are interested and act accordingly. sometimes i get it right, sometime i dont. doesnt matter really.

semi-related story. met a girl a few weeks back and i was at that time very unmotivated. i knew she was interested, but i just kept dragging richard simmons out. she eventually got fed up and straight up ask me if i was going to ask her out. caught me by surprise. i dont even remember the last time where i didnt have to put my foot forward first.

Being that you just met, I wouldn't go to the extent of saying "like"-- just that you're interested. What turns me off would be if the guy was trying way too hard (asking too many questions- likes, dislikes), conversations should be natural, not forced. Give it a day or two to see if she responds.  

Guest motherducker

If I am in regular contact with someone, with them initiating the conversation most the time, I'll assume they are interested. If I'm interested, I'll try to respond at the same pace they're messaging me, even initiating some of the conversations. If I had to suddenly stop or take longer to respond, I'll usually explain why.
But if I wasn't interested, I'll most likely not respond or give short replies lol because I'm kind of a beetch that way
Given that you 2 just met, there's usually that initial interest, at least for me there is when I meet someone new. Whether it be from both parties or just one.

Guest fairytaledreamer

Depends on how you two met

Because she is willing to exchange contact info with you shows her inital interested.

So either she is busy, lost temporary interested coz of something exchanged during the conversation ...idk lol

I get turn off/on easily so if there's something/done that is wrongly doing then I would just stop the conversation as a whole then later initiate it again... but that's just me

There are ways to tell, but they're largely unreliable.

I wouldn't pay heed to the frequency and the content of text messaging. Some people aren't good texters, some are just busy. Sometimes people forget.

Seeing them in person is the only reliable way to tell if they like you.

In my experience, people have told me I come off persistent, clingy, jaded, interested, not interested, shallow, rude, caring, and understanding. Contradictory, yes?

This is like a story a monk once told me when I stumbled into his Monastery looking for shelter from the cold.

Basically, it went something like this...

A man, his son, and a donkey, go down a hill, and pass few villages on the way. With them, they carry food and supplies.

Passing the first village, they had the Donkey carry all the supplies, and the villagers berated them for treating the animal so poorly.

So on their way to the second village, the man carries all supplies, and then the villagers scoff at the child for not helping his father.

On their way to the third village, the man and the son both carry the supplies, and then the villagers laugh at them for not utilizing the Donkey to carry their burdens.

So you can see then, that people, and yourself, may judge what you see solely on the outside. Most people don't know any better. But now you do, and now you can see that what goes on on the outside accounts very little for what goes on inside.

So with your predicament, don't sweat it. There are an infinite amount of reasons why someone is acting the way they are, and you may think there are only a few likely reasons, but you will find yourself very surprised to know that the reality often has other things in store than what you expected possible.

One time, I tried to contact a woman I used to know. She never got back to me. I tried email and phone, and nothing. I thought she just wasn't interested, so I moved on.

A year later, I discover, by accident, that she had died the year prior to me contacting her. And here I thought she just didn't like me!

Guest fairytaledreamer

I couldn't agreed more with what the post above me saidsome are not a good texter at all ...so instead of sitting there and trying to figure out base solely by her actionsyou should just meet up with her againas a women myself, I can give you the most important hintif they dont like you. they will not agree to meet for a second datejust make sure that you let her know its a datedont confused her and yourself good luck

Depends, years ago it took a couple weeks for a girl to admit that she wanted to go out with me for real. We'd been hanging out for months at that point and although we didn't have any serious dates we'd had so much one on one time that the line separating hanging out and dating got kinda blurred. 
Another girl took close on 3 years to say anything to me primarily because we lived so far from one another. But we weren't really compatible as a couple so we stayed good friends instead.
On the flipside, my girlfriend now I came right out after a few months and just told her I wanted to date her despite the fact we live in different countries and we'd only been with each other a couple times. We both understood the ramifications of a LDR but we decided to give it a solid go and commit to it.
It just boils down to character. Some people are really ambiguous and others are really straight forward. Straightforward types are better in my view, less chance of games being played

Guest cristolephe

jennibear01 said: Right away. Guys have always been upfront with me that they like me by trying to talk to me, trying to hold my hand, basically getting closer. And eventually they'll ask me out on a date.

• 2 weeks later...

Takes under a minute to figure out. Doesnt matter if interested or not. It depends on how much attention to detail they look at.
Easiest way to tell. When you look at her does she smile or give you a weird look.

Guest chindarella

I don't think it matters how fast or slow the person messages you back because in my past experience, whether I think I may like a person or not, I always respond to the message as soon as I have seen it. Sometimes that could be literally 30 seconds, while other times it can be half an hour. 
I think what matters the most is how they are talking to you...If I was interested in a guy, my playful side would come out and there would be lots of smiley faces. 

When meeting someone Ibelieve you have to be a bit blunt. Talk ttruthful words to grab her attention and slowlymove the topic uup . experienced helps aa lot in these scenarios. I tend to jump topics back and forth to test her behavior and see her reactions. Flirt my friend flirt. If she flirts back there is a connection

• 2 months later...

I consider myself to be pretty astute on stuff like this but sometimes it could be just harmless and nothing more. I'd say really observe how the other person is reacting to you. Like if they're laughing/ smiling at your jokes, their body language, what they say etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest celinexx

Honestly, I think if you have a gut feeling they like  you, you're probably right. My experience has always been to just follow my intuition. And your friends who are closest to you can probably tell too.

Archived