After how many dates do you start to hold hands, kiss, etc?

Guest missingoutinlife1980

I am curious as to how many dates do you have to go on, before you can start holding hands, hug and kiss your female partner?

I know that on the first date, it's a bit too much to start holding hands with the partner.

I am guessing you can start holding hands, or "test the water" by reaching out and brushing her arms, and see if she inches away from you, or allows you to brush her arm with your fingers.

I wanted to put my hands on a girl I was going to movie with. But I don't want to surprise her, or make her think that I'm being creepy.

Depends. I was young when I met my boyfriend, and he was also my first, so it took us (or at least, me) a while for me to warm up to becoming more physical with him in terms of displaying affection in public. I think it was the 3rd date that we started holding hands, and almost a month for a kiss.
I don't think it's weird to hold hands or kiss on the first date as you get older, it really just depends on the person and how much they're willing to "give".

I think it really depends on the person you are with... you really need to get a sense of where you both would feel comfortable. I think holding hands is fine on the first date, as long as it's obvious that both of you really like each other and its appropriate to do so. If it seems like they're kinda into you but not sure, then best to wait...

Guest I_play_with_dolls

I just feel like it depends on the person, if you're brushing your hand on theirs, and they're not showing any signs of discomfort by facial expression or movement, it's a good indicator you can. If I were you though I would hold their hand and then ASK right away if it's okay to do that. If they say yes, you continue and if they say no, then you let go. At least it gives you insight on how developed the relationship is. Idk, maybe it's just me but I'm the type of person to just ask. 

Guest fairytaledreamer

Depend

I feel both feels like they are having same level of connection prior to the actual meeting then yes physical display is okay

If both are still in the progress to know each other and it's difficult to find common ground then it's better to hold it off for a while.

doing that too soon will be a turn off on the girl.

Yes, I think it depends (especially on female partner) that how fast or slow they use to move in their relationships, But holding hands, hugs & kiss should take too long to happen :)

Holding hands and kissing? What are you 12?

Whats with these steps? Normally everything just happens at once. Let it explode, and be lost in it.

Only chicken shts follow the manual.

Thanks for the insightful information on holding hands and kissing, fellow Soompi buddies.

However, I think there's a difference between a girl whom you yourself ask out on a date.

Versus a girl whom a match-making agency paired you up with, or a girl introduced to you by a friend, or a parent's friend.

I swear, it is very hard to get past the 3rd or 4th dates for me. =(

• 3 weeks later...

Held hands first date. Heck even when I was flirting with her and prior to asking her out.
It is good idea to test the water. I suggest playing with her fingers as its more direct.

Same goes for kissing but it can depend for the girl. Usually a kiss at the end of the first date.
Longest time would be 3 dates before a kiss hence it depends on the girl.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shooting_stars

My boyfriend and I held hands on our first date, but it wasn't until a few hours had already passed. We didn't kiss until our...4th (?) time seeing each other. However, I'm not sure I would normally hold hands on the first date; like someone else said, it really depends on how you met the person. My boyfriend and I had been talking for about 5 months prior to going on our first date, so holding hands felt natural...but if I go on a date with someone who I've only just recently met, I wouldn't hold hands or kiss him. I would, at most, give him a hug, and that would only be at the end of the date.
If you really want to do it though, you can always just give it a try, and then ask if it's okay right away as someone else mentioned. Doing it first will surprise the girl, and then asking afterwards will show her some respect. (I usually wouldn't recommend asking and then doing it, because I've heard girls say they were turned off when a guy does that.) :)

Guest rawrrawk

It depends. Seriously.
If you feel comfortable, well then kissing isn't a big issue on the first date, holding hands either.If you feel happy, then do it.
Here's a tip: Only do it when you are ready and willing to do it. Never be forced to do it by your partner.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nikki_Valentine

Well, assuming that you don't really know the person too well, maybe like on the third or fourth, because it would be a bit awkward if you just met the person and you're suddenly holding hands. On the other hand, if you've been friends with that person for a while, then holding hands on the first date is normal. Second date, maybe a kiss or hug, just don't try to rush it just to get it over with.

Guest easybingoTR

If I already know the guy, I can kiss on first date.
If I don't know him, there's no rule. I kiss when I feel, it means I can wait some dates.

There's no rules... My bf and I had sex on our first date. But then again we've known each other for over 4 years prior to the date.No rules, just go by your gut feeling and if she seems comfortable enough with you.Nothing wrong with holding hands on first date. If you know her a decent amount, it'd be weird if you didn't hold her hand.

Archived