Has Kpop/Korean fashion influenced the way you dress?

Guest chiffonandtulerain

Guest chiffonandtulerain

Before I got into Korean culture, I was more into Japanese fashion. I still am, but I would say that Korean culture has made me kind of desire a mixture of elegant, sophisticated pieces alongside cuter, girlier, pieces I love in Japanese fashion. I do try to attempt to emulate this. 

It really appeals to me since I favor simpler things too, I got a lot of really simple yet feminine clothes when I did my back-to-school shopping. I've really gotten into the whole high top sneakers with pretty dresses trend, and I love the way female ulzzangs do their makeup.  I think I've become extremely feminine, but in a more ladylike way.  I really like the pieces SNSD used to wear between 2008-2009 with the whole "classic girl look"; along with some of the concepts they do that pay homage to it.

I like classic, preppy and retro themes to begin with, so, yeah. ^.^

Though, sometimes I do think my skin isn't light enough or I'm not skinny/tall enough based on the images I do see. I think that's a negative, especially since I am trying to think the opposite.  I will say that in Japanese culture, while lighter skin and tallness is also desired, at least there are bigger fashion movements like variations of gyaru that suggest otherwise (well, a lot of gals wear heels, but you know what I mean).

So, how has Kpop and Korean fashion influenced the way you dress, if anything?

Guest I_play_with_dolls

No because I hate kpop, it sounds horrible to me. Also I hate fashion worn in kpop because a lot of it glamorizes the punk alternative fashion that I've been into and I use to be made fun of for it until kpop made it popular. Ex)I have real stretched ears that people thought was gross but now people are wearing fake plugs because kpop's glamorization.

Guest chiffonandtulerain

I_play_with_dolls said: No because I hate kpop, it sounds horrible to me. Also I hate fashion worn in kpop because a lot of it glamorizes the punk alternative fashion that I've been into and I use to be made fun of for it until kpop made it popular. Ex)I have real stretched ears that people thought was gross but now people are wearing fake plugs because kpop's glamorization.

I like a mixture of all types of styles--a bit of gothic, gothic lolita, punk, preppy, cutesy, Korean and Japanese styles. I even wish I could wear traditional Asian clothes without feeling weird. Most of the clothes I consistently wear is comfortable Tshirts, skirts, preppy. It's basically based on my current emotions. I think if you do it right any type of style of clothing looks good. Kpop has inspired me to dress more feminine but sometimes Kpop fashion is ugly. Plus the Kpop girls' shorts or skirts are way too short for my personal taste.

I_play_with_dolls said: No because I hate kpop, it sounds horrible to me. Also I hate fashion worn in kpop because a lot of it glamorizes the punk alternative fashion that I've been into and I use to be made fun of for it until kpop made it popular. Ex)I have real stretched ears that people thought was gross but now people are wearing fake plugs because kpop's glamorization.

Guest I_play_with_dolls

chiffonandtulerain said: I_play_with_dolls said: No because I hate kpop, it sounds horrible to me. Also I hate fashion worn in kpop because a lot of it glamorizes the punk alternative fashion that I've been into and I use to be made fun of for it until kpop made it popular. Ex)I have real stretched ears that people thought was gross but now people are wearing fake plugs because kpop's glamorization.

Most definitely! I really admire how korean fashion is a bit more sophisticated and elegant as you said, yet still casual chic. Kim shin yeong is a model for bongjashop I believe, and I just can't stop browsing through the pictures! She's too pretty and sells the clothes so well ahaha!
(pssst try downloading this app called WeHeartit. Search up Korean fashion on there and scroll for daysss).

Yes definitely! In both good and bad ways. But I'd say more good than bad.
good:Kpop helped me see tons of different fashions and accept them. I used to be pretty closed minded about fashion. If it wasn't something super plain, I would think it's weird. Now i'm more open to different styles and tastes. It really inspires me to wear different things rather than my boring old t-shirt and jeans. Although I still have a comfort zone with what I will wear, I will admire other fashions (for example - cutesy stuff with pastels and skirts and stuff like that) even though I might not wear it myself. Right now I really love BTS's simple hip-hop fashion. It's something I feel comfortable wearing but I still feel good wearing it. Another thing, I really love to wear black... but I used to be afraid I would look goth and people would think I'm weird. Now that I see so many celebrities who make wearing black cool and not goth, I feel much more fashionable wearing black ^^
bad:Although it has encouraged me to accept more fashion styles...  it also makes me feel as if I could never pull them off. Only certain people can pull off certain styles and that makes me sad because there are a lot of really cute clothes that I don't think I'll ever be able to wear. It also sets standards impossibly high. My hair is not as nice as theirs, my eyes are not as pretty, im ugly compared to them, how come when they wear these things they look like gods and goddesses but I just look like an ugly wannabe? Also the weight... I honestly didn't think I would be affected by it. When I first became a fan of k-pop I saw people saying how these stick-thin idols caused people to think that being as thin as them was the only way to be pretty. I figured I was smart enough to realize these people were exceptionally thin and most people are not like that so it's okay. But now, even though I've actually lost weight since then (unintentionally) I can't see myself as anything but fat. All of these female idols who are my height but way like 42kg. They act as if a 50kg girl is fat. If that's true then what am I? I weigh as much if not more than some of the male idols. It definitely has a huge impact on one's self esteem and I admire anyone who hasn't lost a little confidence after watching these beautiful skinny people everyday.

Guest cocoakisses

Yeah, for sure! One of the things I love most about ulzzang pictures is the fashion... I usually save the pictures in a folder as reference to what kind of clothes I should get and as inspiration. Compared to last year, I'm now way more into cute, girly, but simple clothes - hence all the blouses I have from Forever21, haha. I love pastel colours and floral designs. Moreover, I've seen pictures of shopping streets in Korea and now I'm thinking, "wow, I'd buy out that whole store."

I think it's a really good change, since it's allowed me to clean up my look just before University.

• 3 months later...
Guest chiffonandtulerain

jjaebum said: Yes definitely! In both good and bad ways. But I'd say more good than bad.
good:Kpop helped me see tons of different fashions and accept them. I used to be pretty closed minded about fashion. If it wasn't something super plain, I would think it's weird. Now i'm more open to different styles and tastes. It really inspires me to wear different things rather than my boring old t-shirt and jeans. Although I still have a comfort zone with what I will wear, I will admire other fashions (for example - cutesy stuff with pastels and skirts and stuff like that) even though I might not wear it myself. Right now I really love BTS's simple hip-hop fashion. It's something I feel comfortable wearing but I still feel good wearing it. Another thing, I really love to wear black... but I used to be afraid I would look goth and people would think I'm weird. Now that I see so many celebrities who make wearing black cool and not goth, I feel much more fashionable wearing black ^^
bad:Although it has encouraged me to accept more fashion styles...  it also makes me feel as if I could never pull them off. Only certain people can pull off certain styles and that makes me sad because there are a lot of really cute clothes that I don't think I'll ever be able to wear. It also sets standards impossibly high. My hair is not as nice as theirs, my eyes are not as pretty, im ugly compared to them, how come when they wear these things they look like gods and goddesses but I just look like an ugly wannabe? Also the weight... I honestly didn't think I would be affected by it. When I first became a fan of k-pop I saw people saying how these stick-thin idols caused people to think that being as thin as them was the only way to be pretty. I figured I was smart enough to realize these people were exceptionally thin and most people are not like that so it's okay. But now, even though I've actually lost weight since then (unintentionally) I can't see myself as anything but fat. All of these female idols who are my height but way like 42kg. They act as if a 50kg girl is fat. If that's true then what am I? I weigh as much if not more than some of the male idols. It definitely has a huge impact on one's self esteem and I admire anyone who hasn't lost a little confidence after watching these beautiful skinny people everyday.

Archived