Has anybody here tried a match-making agency to find a sig. other?

Guest missingoutinlife1980

Hey guys,

I am done, have graduated from my program of studies two months ago, and also passed my board exam a month ago (yaaayy!!).

Now it's really time for me to step it up to the plate and start dating.

I have recently found a full-time job, but waiting until November to January of next year to get admitted to another program for my job promotion. So basically, I am out of school, and working with a small secure income.

How many of you guys here have tried a dating/match-making agency?

No, I'm not talking about that online crap stuff like matchmaking.com or, plentyoffish.com, or okcupid. Okcupid, matchmaking.com, were not good experience for me to find women in my area. Plus some of them may have a shady background.

I have never had success in college finding a girlfriend, as the girls I liked either already had a boyfriend (here in town, or in another state), is already married, or is pretty, but has one or two children from a previous broken relationship.

The dating/match-making agency is a small business here in my area. The cost for the match-making agency is quite expensive though - $1000.00 for a 12-month contract. Then you pay the agency more money if you and the girl you are paired with, end up getting married.

The pool of girls of this match-agency are mainly international girls from Japan, S Korea, China who are here on student visa's, or have work visa's. Most of them have proficient English speaking skills, but I would only need an English-proficient girl if she's from Japan or China (as I speak Korean with my mom).

What are your guys' thoughts? Comments?

First and foremost, what's the harm of getting out there and actually meet girls? You'd get the full experience that way knowing that for one thing, they're real, so there would be no need for you to waste any more of your time taking risk after risk. Secondly, like they said, first impression is everything, so by meeting girls face to face for the first time, you'd be able to judge with your own eyes what they're actually like, or if one is right for you, without the certainty of the subjective virtual profile that they had made up for themselves. 

Guest writerstale

Realizes online dating is geared towards White men. If you're not in that criteria go out and meet women in person that align with your passions.

Never tried and none of this sounds natural to me

Seems like those girls working for that agency are looking more for income and green cards/citizenships and not for love

And if no guys are working for that agency, that is another red flag right there

Instead of supporting such an agency, I'd say you try looking elsewhere and maybe even possibly move to another city or state

camie said: First and foremost, what's the harm of getting out there and actually meet girls? You'd get the full experience that way knowing that for one thing, they're real, so there would be no need for you to waste any more of your time taking risk after risk. Secondly, like they said, first impression is everything, so by meeting girls face to face for the first time, you'd be able to judge with your own eyes what they're actually like, or if one is right for you, without the certainty of the subjective virtual profile that they had made up for themselves. 

frenchtutor said: Never tried and none of this sounds natural to me Seems like those girls working for that agency are looking more for income and green cards/citizenships and not for love And if no guys are working for that agency, that is another red flag right there Instead of supporting such an agency, I'd say you try looking elsewhere and maybe even possibly move to another city or state

@missingoutinlife1980 I understand, I've been through the same thing

I've always wondered how people met their significant others. People always suggested I try going out to clubs, bars, and to Korean churches. And I realized, none of that was for me (for religion I rather attend other churches in the city).

So I just did it my way

I met a lot of people through work (coworkers and clients) and just random people at cafes and other public places. I was always the shy and timid type when I was younger but I did my best to break through my social anxiety. I met a lot of people this way and eventually met more people through them. From there, it kind of just branched off from there and met many people with the same interests and hobbies. Until this day, if I'm out on a break from work and reading/studying at a cafe, sometimes I try to hit up a conversation with people in the right situations. Eventually, you'll find someone that will be of your interest

This is my personal account, I hope you can give it a try

I am not telling you not to try the match making service, all I was saying is that I am sure the girls are looking more for paperwork marriage and that these people seem to be taking advantage of these girls. There are similar services here and they only hire girls and the agencies exploit them.

Good luck my friend

silent.dragon said: I support your decision to try a matchmaking agency. I have never tried one so I can't give you any insight.
Off the top of my head, I believe the size of the pool of females will be limited. Just as online dating websites.

frenchtutor said: @missingoutinlife1980 I understand, I've been through the same thing

I've always wondered how people met their significant others. People always suggested I try going out to clubs, bars, and to Korean churches. And I realized, none of that was for me (for religion I rather attend other churches in the city).

So I just did it my way

I met a lot of people through work (coworkers and clients) and just random people at cafes and other public places. I was always the shy and timid type when I was younger but I did my best to break through my social anxiety. I met a lot of people this way and eventually met more people through them. From there, it kind of just branched off from there and met many people with the same interests and hobbies. Until this day, if I'm out on a break from work and reading/studying at a cafe, sometimes I try to hit up a conversation with people in the right situations. Eventually, you'll find someone that will be of your interest

This is my personal account, I hope you can give it a try

I am not telling you not to try the match making service, all I was saying is that I am sure the girls are looking more for paperwork marriage and that these people seem to be taking advantage of these girls. There are similar services here and they only hire girls and the agencies exploit them.

Good luck my friend

I signed up with a match-making agency, paid the $1K fee, last week. Also ironically, another girl whom I was dating for only two dates, decided to break up with me (you can read that story in the other thread I've posted), something about different life goals, which I doubt.

Anyhow, I got a call from one of the representatives from the agency on Thursday, to meet up with a Japanese girl who's here on vacation (so she's not going to stay here for long). The rep described the Japanese girl as "petite" and cute.

Met with the Japanese chick this afternoon for coffee, and then lunch. She's a pretty decent looking chick. I'd say a four-star our of five-star rating. However, her English speaking and understanding was limited. I also took her sight seeing around town, and special "touristy" lookouts, before taking her back to her rental condo.

Next step is to call the agency back on Monday to let them know how our first date went and to evaluate the girl.

What I am wary/cautious about, is, if after she goes back to Japan, how will we maintain our relationship?

And in terms of Japanese custom, it's mainly the males who pay for the meals, ride, etc. So is this girl going to keep wanting to date with me, just to get "free" meals while she's on vacation?

Is the match-making agency also matching her up with "other guys" while she's here on vacation? I hate to sound paranoid, but those are the kinds of questions that wander around in my head.

What do you fellow Soompi brothers and sisters think?

Honestly ive encouraged my friends who have wanted to try and so far they are happy and doing well. The pros about these type of agencies is that there is no lingering attachment, if you feel no connection. You can meet different types of people who are aiming for the same goal of finding someone who suits them. Cons are just meeting creepers but your a guy so it should be fine ^^. No harm in trying, you might just find that special someone ^^ The only problem, are you looking for a specific type? Forking out that much money is a bit much? I believe there are free ones or trial programs to see if you like it or not.

Just saw your current post =__=: I wouldnt go out with the girl whos on vacation. Its skeptical only because it seems seeking her way for a visa or just there to have fun. You should beable to conversate with her and enjoy normal dates rather being a tour guide..unless you like that kind of thing. Even if the girl is cute.. you should ask them for a girl who can speak close to fluent at least... the last thing you need is to get married and find out their divorcing you for a usa citizenship. How was the date though? Did she talk a lot? Ask you questions or conversate in a way where you felt she was interested in you?

[RingoStarx3] said: Just saw your current post =__=: I wouldnt go out with the girl whos on vacation. Its skeptical only because it seems seeking her way for a visa or just there to have fun. You should beable to conversate with her and enjoy normal dates rather being a tour guide..unless you like that kind of thing. Even if the girl is cute.. you should ask them for a girl who can speak close to fluent at least... the last thing you need is to get married and find out their divorcing you for a usa citizenship. How was the date though? Did she talk a lot? Ask you questions or conversate in a way where you felt she was interested in you?

wow, interesting stuff. Hey I'm missing out in life too! we should go on a date as well. just kidding I'm a guy, but I live in Hawaii. we should hang out and talk about our common problem of, "my only dating pool is full of temporary tourists" -__-

Guest suhee00

I know its kind of discrete thing for girls (Not sure about guys) but I did try one phone app.  At first, I saw so many cute guys, but then I found out so many of them are fake, too.  I did meet one and luckily he wasn't fake and I am still dating him now.  It's a risk, but be careful~

Ninshark said: wow, interesting stuff. Hey I'm missing out in life too! we should go on a date as well. just kidding I'm a guy, but I live in Hawaii. we should hang out and talk about our common problem of, "my only dating pool is full of temporary tourists" -__-

suhee00 said: I know its kind of discrete thing for girls (Not sure about guys) but I did try one phone app.  At first, I saw so many cute guys, but then I found out so many of them are fake, too.  I did meet one and luckily he wasn't fake and I am still dating him now.  It's a risk, but be careful~

Archived