How can I persuade myself to go back to college?

halfmoonsmile

I have an Associate's Degree for Fine Arts. I want to continue my education and get a Bachelor's Degree. Although, I have heard that people with a Master's would make more money. The thing is that I don't really know what I should major in? The two things I really want to do is write and publish novels and I also have a passion for art as well. I can't decide whether I should try to get into an art college or if I should pursue a career in English instead. I also want to study abroad in Japan.  The biggest problem is that I don't have the motivation to do any of these things because of lack of money. When I was still in college I could only think of writing stories and daydream in class. Ironically I still got good grades despite that. Have you ever felt this way?

Guest Keion

It's not a matter of what you "should do", it's a matter of what you want to do, but don't take that literally and fly with it. Otherwise you'll be doing all sorts of deviant things.

What you want to do, is not that same as what you want to do impulsively.

This is no ones life but your own. People who always think in terms of "shoulds" and "should nots" are cowards, always looking for the approval and advice from others.

It takes great courage to do what you really want to do, against the idiotic suggestions of peers, who mostly get their suggestions from other people too.

You already know the answer to your question, it's just muddled up by the words of others ringing in your head is that not so?

Life isn't that difficult. It only becomes difficult when you try to live a life that is not your own.

If you want to do it just do it lol. I think that's a good enough motivation .. The want is already there ... U just gotta act upon it. Nothing's gonna happen if u just sit around ! So be brave hehe. I think education is the the most valuable possession a person could ever have . It's always going to stay with u even when u grow older and no one could ever take that away from u. It's a good investment so don't worry about the money right now . If u ask my opinion, I think English would be a better pick because you could always intern as an english teacher and study at the same time in japan and you can even get paid ! So yeah just look for a program there are many I have heard of . That's like killing multiple birds with one stone (:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pleiadian

Funny thing is that i am currently doing a commerce degree, i am currently, or have stopped for 6 months writing my novel, as well as my short film lol... You should do what you like in life. It's pretty hard getting a job if you write novels though. Just have a couple of plans incase. O.O 

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand your worry about the finances involved with going back to school. I had that same worry when I started looking into my master's program. However, keep in mind that any education is an investment in yourself. If you have the desire, then go for it!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest williamhernandez

Yes, it is true you will get more money after masters than bachelors. If you want to write stories or novels you can write it with doing your masters as well. you shoul hve to devlop intrease if you acctully wants to do it.

If I were you and passionate in writing, I wouldn't be so much focused on furthering my education just for a degree. That for sure would not be enough motivation for me. There should be other things in a school that keeps you going.
You could focus more on getting something published and constantly getting feedback on your work. Even if you don't get paid for it, put your work out there. Going to school might help you in that regard because I hear that while you're still in school there are much more opportunities to network and get your name out there. Many universities provide workshops and networking events just for their students. There also may be some student-run literary journals affiliated with the university you could look into. Look into what programs colleges are offering--get excited about that. Look into some study abroad programs if you really want to do that too. 
Also, side track but related: I know an English major who applied to teach in Japan. She didn't get to go, but of course, the process of interviewing for that alone really helps shape you as a person and gives you experience. I'm sure there are a lot of other schools out there that let you do that too.
All I know is you gotta be persistent in a creative field. It's not necessarily difficult to succeed, but it will be if you lack motivation. 

Guest sallyparsons881

Don't wait for any one motivation. yo are the only one apt to motivate. Education has its own value. I think now you should study. After some year if you loose the touch then you ill  feel difficult to learn

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest dannylake

It's not a matter of what you "should do", it's a matter of what you want to do. If you want to do something in your life just go for it. Don't think that it is not possible for you to do something. If you try to start your journey no one can stop you. Money is not a matter if you study and learned well. There are many ways you can make money. You can sit at home and work for someone else so that you can do something. If you are good at writing then you can do freelance writings and help students with writing. Today you can see that most of the students are going behind cheap essay writing service, so you can also earn money by writing.

• 3 weeks later...

Do a research of salaries of employees who majored in different fields. Also, it might be useful to compare their satisfaction with their job. It's hard to believe but salary is not everything. Sometimes people retrain because their job annoys them too much. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Its a matter of fact that you should not think what to do you should know what is your desire and then go for it. Because the money you have utilized in your education is actually an investment. Though, ExcellentAcademicHelp assisting the students in writing services of Essay Help, Dissertation Help and etc.

Archived