Money problems and friends

tangledlove

Hello,

My family has began to break down. Mainly because were months behind bills and my parents were always so stressed. this summer, I had a plan in mind. Work at boston scientific to make money for my college apartment with my three friends. I was supposed to be their fourth roommate. but here I am. Its almost the end of summer and it turns out I don't have a job. And its my fault. I told them I would be able to pay for it, but now that I am here, I simply cant. I can't even ask money from my parents, which I could pay back because of leftover money from school. Im trying to contact my friends, but it seems hard since they are all pretty busy right now. If you were my friends, how would you react? There are no actual cons of me NOT living with them. Its just that there will be (possibly) a fourth random roommate. And that fact that I could not keep my word. this was not my intention. 

Guest writerstale

I read this story and keep thinking there's something missing from the story. You're saying it's almost end of summer and you don't have a job. It's my fault. Why do you feel that you not having a job is your fault?

Be honest with them about not being able to afford the apartment. If they need a fourth roommate to split the monthly costs of the apartment then offer to help find for a roommate for them. As for not keeping your word- stuff happens and sometimes we are unable to keep promises. As long as you are honest, I don't think it should be a big deal.

I'm a little confused on what your current situation is. You don't have a job and won't have a place to live for school? Or you currently can't afford your half of payments?
If you have good friends they'll help you figure out something even if you can't roommate with them.

Hello,

Sorry for the confusion! I don't have a job because I couldn't get one. I tried  by applying, but no one called me back - until today. But the thing is, its too late to get the job because I go back mid august. I could still get dorms or public housing from the government. It's just...I don't want to disappoint my friends. We're a close knit of friends.

EDIT - - -

they would still pay 225 for each of there rooms. And the fourth bedroom would be closed off.

Guest nana544

You can find someone to replaced you if they don't mind.
If you didn't sign any lease, then just tell them you're sorry and move on.

Thanks for the advice! With a different view point, ho would you feel if one of your very good friends did this? Would you hate them or just tell them its okay? Im confused. I don't want my friends thinking of me differently. I guess that is why Im soo, soo hesitant about not joining them with the apartment.

I would NEVER hate a friend who is down on their luck. And considering their rent doesn't change- nothing for you to worry about! If they think negatively of you because of this- then maybe you should re-think your friendship with them. Like I said, be honest with them and everything should work out fine in the end! You may not be living with them- but you guys can still hang out :)

• 2 months later...
Guest chindarella

If I was one of your friends, I wouldn't think negative of you. If they are your friends, they should understand what you are going through right now and support you, not push you away especially when you are obviously in a vulnerable place right now. Your friends will understand, you shouldn't be afraid. 

Guest chindarella

I just read your comment and I'm glad your friends are so supporting. It really is in these moments where you find out who your real friends are ! 

Archived