What are your feelings when someone doesn't finish all your food?

Ninshark

So you cook, prepare, or buy food for someone... and they don't finish it. How do you feel?
Let's put this into the context of eating at home also.

If someone doesn't finish food I buy for them, that's w/e, but it's sometimes the case where people don't finish the food I make for them or prepare for them. I feel a bit sad that maybe it wasn't good, or they just didn't like it. kinda hurts my ego too a little. Do you guys feel this way??

YET

when people give food to me.. without even thinking, and only until after the fact later I catch myself not finishing their food either... that's because at that time, I was only thinking of not being such a pig in front of my friend.. or not wanting to eat all their food and leave them with none later because who knows, what if they were saving that, but offered it to you to be nice, and you ended up finishing it all? so I myself tend not to finish food made for me...
i.e. *that awkward moment when there's only one dumpling left and 3 people sitting at the table...

so  I guess I have a double standard here... I think from now on, I'll just eat as much as I can if it's food someone made for me, because I'm always a bit sad if people don't finish the food I made for them. Anyone else have similar thoughts? tell me what you think and how you feel.

Guest nana544

More for me.

I don't really care if they don't finish it. Much less eat it.
Everyone have different taste, so don't expect too much.

Guest HERMIT

If they are genuinely full, then they're full.  It can become leftovers (if at home) or brought home in a doggie bag (if eating out).

If people don't finish the food i prepare for them I die a little inside.
On the flipside, when people(particularly my ex gf) prepare and cook food for me, even if it taste horrible (which was 90% of the time), I just force it down just so no feelings will be hurt.

Guest [ knockOUT ]

I too, get a little upset when I see that people haven't finished what I've prepared for them.
I normally eat everything on the plate when someone serves me something, unless it's really just inedible (like too much salt, too greasy, etc.).
My family taught me to finish whatever food that was put in front of me, and so it's just painful to watch when others don't finish or throw away their leftovers if it's completely good food.

Depends on how big the serving is, I mean if there is a large portion of food, I doubt one person would be able to finish it all, no matter how good the food is. It is not good to over-stuff yourself with food. As long as they look happy while eating the food that's all that matters. Even if someone can't finish all the food, while they're eating you can tell whether they're enjoying it or not.

Guest koreankimchi123

I agree with @retsyo for food served.

If I buy food from supermarket for someone, I would be sad if the food would be thrown away. I hate waste.

I could see it as a waste if I bought it, but if there were reasonable circumstances I could not be bothered by it. If I cooked food and they didn't finish it, I'm ok with critiques so if they didn't finish it and the food is understandably terrible or if the food just isn't their type of food, that's fine. I could learn from the experience and I will only feel regret that I couldn't satisfy them.

Lol sometimes even if they enjoyed the meal and only I see the flaws I feel bad.

• 3 months later...

I think it depends. ^^; Some people have smaller stomaches or are advised by their doctor not to eat a lot at one sitting (and instead, eat smaller portions throughout the day) so their inability to finish an entire meal prepared for them may not be due to the taste or rudeness. Or if they're genuinely full! 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aarensmith

Actually according to my point of view Feeling does not matter its depend upon understanding if a person is eligible to eat only one bowl rice then we cannot compel him/her to eat more so its completely depends upon capacity.

Once I baked a cake for my friend and none of them ate it. I will admit that it came out too sugary but it was a nice looking cake and I did work on it. I felt bad then I figured that I wouldn't eat it either. If you mean a meal instead of dessert, I would be really surprised that anybody would eat my cooked meals in general. So far I am the only one who's tasted my cooking. Let's just say it's good enough for me but I need more practice.

Guest dreaminglook

First, I know I don't cook too well. LOLSecond, if they don't like it, more for meThird, I don't want being forced to eat more than I can manage, so it's cool for me 
If you are talking about someone who is trying to be on your good side, though and they don't finish what you cooked, that's minus points for them :) Know what I mean? 

Archived