• Writer: Yoon Sun-Joo
  • Network: SBS
  • Episodes: 24
  • Release Date: September 22, 2014 
  • Runtime: Monday & Tuesday 21:55
  • Language: Korean
  • Streaming with English Subtitles: KDrama | Viki

Plot

Drama series follows the conflict between King Yeongjo (Han Suk-Kyu) and Crown Prince Sado (Lee Je-Hoon). King Yeongjo pursues strong royal authority, while Crown Prince Sado insists on equality for all.

Notes

"Secret Door" takes over the SBS Monday & Tuesday 21:55 time slot previously occupied by "Temptation".[*]First script reading took place July 26, 2014

Recap by Javabeans @ Dramabeans

Episode 1

Cast

2014083122267_01.9041858.1.jpg

Han Seok KyuThe king who hides daggers in his tears, Yeongjo
Yeongjo is a king who is well-versed in Confucianism. He often express himself by crying but at the same time holds a dream inside his heart. His origin as the son of a lowly water maid makes him feel inferior and in order to prove himself not only as a king who owns the power after his brother’s death, he strives hard to be a competent leader, hungry for acknowledgement and recognition. In order to protect the throne and the people, he has to make hard decisions, such as turning into a cold-blooded father to his son, Crown Prince Sado.

Lee Je HoonThe prince who masks his fears with laughter, Crown Prince Sado Yi Seon
As an heir to the throne, Sado is expected to be the best in everything but he is struggling to live up to the expectations from people around him. He’s fearful of his father Yeongjo and chooses to hide his fears behind his smiles. His smile becomes his standard reaction to everything. The murder case is his chance to prove himself but he discovers something hidden beneath it.

Kim Yoo JungA woman who is as free as a bird, Seo Ji-dam
 A young woman who is brave to challenge the common practice. As a daughter of a librarian, Ji-dam is well-versed in literature but her interest doesn’t lie in the romance novels; books about commoners, taxes, and land management are her favourites. Her dream is to become a writer and the murder case is the bridge to her dream of finding justice for the commoners. Thanks to the fate between her and the crown prince Yi Seon, who dreams of a fair world for the people, she gets involved in the investigation and gains friends from different walks of life.

Park Eun BinPrincess Hyegyeong, the woman with politics inside her skirt
Lady Hong, wife of Yi Seon and mother of Yi San. She wants to be the best in everything and the thing she hates the most is feeling inferior to and being pitied by someone else. Living in as a poor noblewoman, she begins getting lessons and her father grooms her to become the future queen. Marrying the crown prince makes her a step closer to her dream, but the only thing she has not achieved is to steal her own husband’s love. Yi Seon’s dream of a fair world turns her own dream into bubbles and she decides to abandon her husband in order to protect her son.

Kim Min JongThe cold-blooded assassin Na Chul-joo
An assassin who has nothing to fear but finds himself intrigued by the young woman he finds at the book rental place he frequents. He eventually becomes her assistant in investigating the murder case.

Choi Won YoungSado’s closest supporter from Namin faction, Cha Je-gong
 An officer who receives the trust from the crown prince, he continues to serve the prince faithfully, until the murder case. During the investigation, he becomes the sacrificial lamb to control Yi Seon, for Yeongjo’s sake.

Credits: thetalkingcupboard

Conference photo

201409181436776373_541a6f9cf220d.jpg
Credits: Osen

Teasers

First teaser with Eng subs

Second teaser with Eng subs

Latest teaser with translations 

Text: The missing document has reappearedKim Taek: The document has reappeared. Are you scared?Text: The beginning of deathYeongjo?: Of course I'm scaredKim Taek?: Do what you have to do to stop the Crown PrinceText: The father who is trying to hide the truth, the son who is close to the truthSado: Whoever it is, however strong he may be, I will find them and punish them for what they've doneYeongjo: I will resign from the throne!Text: Dangerous political gamesPrince Hyegyong: His threat to resign is a warningSado: Please withdraw, please withdraw your decree to resign from the throne
Credits: @nancykimlee

Long highlight video with summary

It started with an assassination attempt on Yeongjo when he was a successor to the throne (Gyeongjong was the king at that time) and Kim Taek was the one who saved him. Because of that, YJ signed a secret agreement with Noron led by KT or he would die, and to safeguard his secret, they burned down Seungjeongwon (Office of the Secretaries), probably to get rid of any records (this might be related to Gyeongjong-Yeongjo's issues in history). 
Flash forward to 30 years later, YJ was surprised to find that an eunuch as young as 12 years old had been assigned to assist him and he's probably ticked off, enough for him to make the decision to abdicate. Sado found out from Je-gong that YJ was going to abdicate the throne but YJ was actually testing his subjects and Hyegyeong knew it, as well as KT. SD knelt in front of the throne hall (like in the pics) to persuade his father into reconsidering his decision. 
The secret agreement was found by Heung-bok and KT knew about it, thus ordering someone to find HB and if necessary, he could be killed. YJ  realized that the secret agreement might have resurfaced and HB's buddy working at the Royal Painting Bureau suggested that it would be better if they burn the document. One night, Ji-dam, a part of a group of book dealers, was on her way out to make her delivery. HB was also heading somewhere, carrying a book with him, and he was approached by someone. JD saw someone pushing HB from the bridge. HB died and his corpse disappeared when JD came back with the police inspector. HB was actually on his way to meet SD and the prince realized that his friend was running late, although HB usually won't make someone wait for him.
There was a visit to the late queen's tomb and YJ wanted to wash his face, but the water couldn't be drawn from the well. As soon as SD tried to persuade his father that there might be a problem with the well, HB's corpse was retrieved from it. SD was so heartbroken to see his best friend like that while YJ was furious about it. This might be the start to his suspicion towards his own son. JD was attacked and Chul-joo saved her. JD realized that it could be dangerous since she's the only eyewitness to HB's murder case but she's fearless. There were people trying to make it pass as a mere suicide case and SD was of course surprised, but YJ seemed to be..satisfied with the outcome.

Credits: @Kaeruchan

Must Read!! and follow!!Soompi code of conductDon't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki,Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their Id reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest maea18

Han Seok-kyu, Lee Je-hoon up for reunion in sageuk drama Secret Doorby javabeans | June 18, 2014 | 43 Comments

hanseokkyu_27.jpg

Way to bundle up good news in a threefer: SBS is planning a new sageuk drama about the Crown Prince Sado (juicy historical intrigue), starring Han Seok-kyu (Tree With Deep Roots) to play King Yeongjo, and courting Lee Je-hoon (Fortune Tellers) to play Sado in his army comeback. Yesssssss.

Read Full Article HERE

Guest maea18

Park Eun-bin up to challenge Han Seok-kyu as Princess Hyegyeongby javabeans | July 8, 2014 | 17 Comments

parkeunbin_20.jpg

Ooh, the casting is shaping up to be quite promising for SBS’s upcoming sageuk thrillerSecret Door, which recently confirmed that Han Seok-kyu (Tree With Deep Roots) would be taking the lead role as King Yeongjo. I’m still waiting on pins and needles to know if Lee Je-hoon will ultimately take the role of Yeongjo’s son Sado, the crown prince who was locked in a rice chest and left to his death there, but for now I’ll have to be patient. (I hate being patient.)

Read Full Article HERE

Guest maea18

Kim Min Jong is also up for the drama \^o^/i.aspx?Guid=66d5d6361d7e4f62be47944ff099SOURCE: http://www.hankookilbo.com/v/4e9c92259b1846bea3af63de7e879438

@maea18 - good news..... Kim Min-Jong is confirmed  !

Kim Min-jong signs for 'Secret Door'

photo458473.jpg

Actor Kim Min-jong confirmed his role in an upcoming TV drama, two years after he took a TV role in the SBS series "A Gentlemen's Dignity".

The new SBS drama, tentatively named "Secret Door", will go on air in September.

He will play a master of the sword named Na Cheol-ju during the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) in the period drama.

Kim's persona as a warrior is certainly exciting, but his character also enjoys reading romantic novels - adding more of a mellow side to his rugged self.

"I'm so happy to be a part of this drama, and I will put efforts to make my character more charming", Kim said.

Actor Han Seok-Kyu, globally known for his role in the 1999 film "Shiri", has also confirmed his part in the drama. The program will air after "Temptation" with kwon Sang-woo and Choi Ji-woo, which starts on Monday.

Source: Hancinema

Guest maea18

actress Wang Bit Na may also joined the cast of secret door.. if she takes the role (which is a palace loyal maid *that's according to the translation*) this will be a reunion between her and Hwang Jin Yi's writer Yoon Seon Joo where she played as the rival of Ha Ji Won titular role..l_2014071002000587600130931.jpgSource: http://sports.khan.co.kr/news/sk_index.html?cat=view&art_id=201407102145553&sec_id=540201&pt=nv

Guest maea18

Jang Hyun Sung is also in talks to be part of the cast20140710163943776493.jpg
source: http://www.ajunews.com/view/20140710163608595

Guest zulmme.

Sorry for my ignorance, but the main character of this drama, is Sado- the father of Yi San or another Sado? My first Korean drama was " Wind in the palace" :) I remember San lost his father (prince Sado) when he was a child.I  even remember the scene when San sneaks in the middle of the night to visit his father who is dying from starvation

@irilight,  Hi,  Now you know I'm a saguek fanatic Looking forward to this but we a few months ro wait.. I can't het over Kim Min Jong being a cold blooded killer but the pretty faces are always the most ruthless killers of them all.. 

zulmme. said: Sorry for my ignorance, but the main character of this drama, is Sado- the father of Yi San or another Sado? My first Korean drama was " Wind in the palace" :) I remember San lost his father (prince Sado) when he was a child.I  even remember the scene when San sneaks in the middle of the night to visit his father who is dying from starvation

Oh how i want for Lee Jee Hoon to accept this complex and challanging role,i'm sure he will shine doing it... :)>- not to mentions such a good cast till now and i'm sure more great actors will be added..i must say i totally loved the duo of Lee Jee Hoon and Han Seok-Kyu in Paparotti...and to see them again as father and son it would be sooooo fantastic

Guest maea18

@irilight you're welcome, it was one of my favorite too.. the unrequited puppy love of Jinyi and Young Master :((
Sado really has a complex personality (according to historical books he murder eunuch and rape palace maids) so i'm really excited on how they will portray him in this drama as we all know there was a limit on what is appropriate or not on tv broadcast..so i'm thinking  that maybe the movie version will be much bolder, if you know what i mean, just like what happened with Painter in the Wind and Portrait of Beauty..

this sageuk drama really look promising with the cast and all.. 

Definitely looking forward to Han Seok-kyu's return to the small screen. He gave such a winning performance as Sejong in Tree With Deep Roots. The historical backdrop of this drama definitely gives the scriptwriter a lot of room for drama. Now, if only Le Je-hoon would confirm his participation...

maea18 said: @irilight you're welcome, it was one of my favorite too.. the unrequited puppy love of Jinyi and Young Master :((
Sado really has a complex personality (according to historical books he murder eunuch and rape palace maids) so i'm really excited on how they will portray him in this drama as we all know there was a limit on what is appropriate or not on tv broadcast..so i'm thinking  that maybe the movie version will be much bolder, if you know what i mean, just like what happened with Painter in the Wind and Portrait of Beauty..

@irilight,  How about when this one is over we pick a day to marathon Yi San Loved that drama to better yet let's do Dong Yi then this one and then Yi San that would be the order of things let me know what you think.. 

maea18 said: @irilight you're welcome, it was one of my favorite too.. the unrequited puppy love of Jinyi and Young Master :((

Guest hapha8714

hmm... promising. i missed sageuk genre. didn't watch recent sageuk/fusion historicals (empress ki, goddess of fire - jeongyi). just not my type after watching like first 3 episodes and randomly viewing mid-EPs. i find both of them boring and predictable.

when i watch sageuk drama, i always check the writer's previous work FIRST.
and seems like i'd be rooting for this since Hwang Jin Yi was one of my all time favorite sageuk dramas.

Yoon Sun-Joo | Writer

was waiting for Pacheon-wang, but got bummed out that it'll be postponed. supposed writer would've been Kim Yeong Hyeon (my favorite!)

i LAUD writers/composers MORE than the actors/actresses who portrayed the roles - they are merely just mediums to make these wonderful creations into a reality.

Archived