Who Should Pay the Bill?

ReckLESS_

Of course there is no right or wrong answer, I just want to hear your opinions on this.

1. If you asked the guy out, should the girl pay for her own meal?
  2. Would the guy be offended if she pays for both their meals? 

I'm asking this based on the first couple of dates, where both sides are still trying to know each other.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the male should fully pay the first meal. Then they split it evenly (or nearly even) for the rest.
Doesn't matter if the girl asked the guy out. Guy shouldn't be offended if she insistently pays for both meals. I would find that interesting of her.

Personally I believe that whoever asks should pay. After that, once you start to see this person regularly then switch off paying. As a girl, I believe that girls should always go in ready to pay for themselves (at the very least). 

Guest I_play_with_dolls

I feel like both couples should pay for their own meals however if someone wants to pay for both meals, you should let them as long as they're doing it because they really want to instead of feeling obligated to. Also when I ask a guy out to eat, I don't choose an extremely pricey place. If I did I feel like I should pay because I can't expect the guy to afford something expensive just because I wanted to eat there. 

Based on how some guys whine about emptying their wallets for girls, I would say that each individual should pay for their own thing. If girls can make some cash, then they should spend that cash for their own meals or vice versa unless your culture frowns upon that.

Guest writerstale

It depends on how the date is going. The last girl I went out with seemed to be offended for whatever reasons because I asked her if she wanted me to buy her coffee. We live in a time where chivalry is almost dead so I notice when I put my best into a date wow do I get screwed over so I'm all for me paying for me, and her paying for her. If she offered I'd ask her why she's choosing to pay for me. 

Guest MangoR

Depends!  If it's a first date and the guy wants to make a good impression, he should pay.  Later on, they can alternate paying.  I don't know why but I just don't like splitting bills, it's much better to just keep it simple and be like "I treat you" (from girl or guy).  Plus it's more romantic that way :)

Guest vintageous

the one who invites should pay the meal for both or if you guys are more friendly terms, splitting is ok. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest johnpatric

Well if the guy is honest and mature the he would go to pay the bill.. and if its your bad luck then may be you have to pay the bill of both of you. but most of time guys should have to pay the bill.. but may be on third or forth date most of girls like to pay so its depends on that guy whom you date..

Guest fairytaledreamer

let him pay for the first date at least then alternate the bills or splits itI don't feel like the guys should pay every time. 

Guest nana544

If someone ask you out first, they should pay.
If you ask someone out first, you should pay, unless the person opt to pay.

Depends on if its a date and what the other person's intent is. If I went on a date I would pay for the meal. If it was a friendly lunch/dinner than I would expect the bill to be split. There's really no justification for one person paying for the other in my opinion. Seems like an old fashioned etiquette that segregates gender roles. 

Pay for the first date, after that usually alternate. If there is coffee/dessert afterwards somewhere else, I would insist on paying so I can treat her.

Also it depends. If I have a steady job and she's still a student or much younger, I would pay more often

Also if it's a special occasion like an anniversary or holiday, I would definitely pay for the meals if they're pretty fancy like steak or at a nice Italian restaurant

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lolaleatherwhip

If I asked the guy out most likely I'm already thinking about paying for the whole meal. If he is insistent on paying for his half then that's fine but I wouldn't expect him to pay for the entire meal, nor would I want him to. 
If he asked me out I would always offer to chip in (with a usual rejection on his part), or in some cases sneak to the counter to pay for the whole meal. Honestly, is the latter bad for a girl to do? I feel really bad and uncomfortable when the guy pays for the whole meal, I don't believe in social standards and all that jazz, but does that make him feel like crap? Because I know I feel like crap when he pays for it all :/ Sometimes the guy even knows that I might pay, so they pay while they go to the 'bathroom'. Even if the guy does pay for the whole meal I'd usually want to treat him back, like buy drinks or desserts. 
Sometimes I wonder if I make it more complicated than it is.. idek.. 

1) If I asked the guy out I'd pay for both meals.2) Would he feel offended? Nah, I don't think they would, if he insist on paying for both meals I can say something like: "You can always get me dessert :)"

Archived