Sharing passwords in a relationship

Mannosuke

Have you asked your partner to give you their passwords?
Have you been asked to give your passwords over?
Some people feel that if your partner really trusts you, they would share with you all of their personal information including passwords to social media accounts, banking, etc.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I share passwords with my intimate friends. This includes e-mails, social media, and dozens of game accounts.
When I get married, I'll certainly share my social media, pin numbers, banking, etc. information with my spouse.
Nothing to hide.

Edit: Several friends I made online (Maplestory) have my passwords for a few places. Why? I know how genuine and trustworthy they are. Have they ever used it against me? Nope. I have the ideal friendships.

Guest shooting_stars

It's not like I have anything to hide, but I just believe personal information such as passwords should be separate from relationships...I don't mind logging in FOR the person and letting him see what's on my newsfeed or whatever, but I'm not going to give him free access anytime he wants. It's like how everyone wants some space in relationships; passwords just happen to be included in that space (for me, anyway).

Guest nobody knows

no .. i don't think it's necessary

i know my friend's parents has facebook accounts and the dad wanted the password for the mom and she was like no way
he wanted it so he could post as her on his stuff and he'd log back into his account to reply -___- give himself some activity

Nope. Even in a relationship, my privacy is important to me. Not necessarily that I have something to hide, just I don't like stuff being accessible to someone. If I wanted to share something, I would. If not, then it's no one's business. 

yet, being accessible is implied in the word, relationship, or marriage. 

if marriage really means unity, all things should be shared, if ur spouse spends all the money, you will starve and die together, naked in the cold. which is why you shouldn't marry something who is flat out stupid. 

Guest phalken

@ajlee613
I agree accessible is implied in the word marriage, but not in relationship.
To me a relationships vary from largely experimenting to trial runs. I would never share my passwords with my s/o, not even for non-monetary things like social accounts or phone passwords. I would also not ask for them from my s/o, of course.
It's just a matter of space. If both people are okay with sharing, then it's fine. If both people aren't okay with sharing, then that's also fine. What doesn't work is one person who thinks it's a trust issue and the other simply doesn't want to share that space. In which case neither is morally suspect or anything, they're just different. The same issue with space occurs in physical space (rooming together vs. waiting until marriage), sexual contact, frequency of communication, etc. If you're comfortable sharing those things with a s/o, then that's great for you. But if I'm not comfortable sharing that with someone I view as most likely temporary, then that's great for me too.

Guest ForeverPi

i never share my passwords in relationships. my ex and my bf now both gave me their passwords willingly w/o me asking. but when they asked for mine, i still refused haha

well, if you are in a relationship for a number of years and still consider that temporary, you are really wasting a whole lot of your time.
when i say relationship i don't mean high school status relationships that last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, I mean adult relationships that is progress and goal oriented rather than "lets just have fun and wing it"
Of course you aren't going to share everything with a stranger who happens to be dating you for a few months. but once the trust is there, once the commitment is there, accessibility should also be there. there is no concrete line between a serious relationship and a marriage, It isn't like your emotions suddenly change once you sign some paper, marriage simply symbolizes love + opportunity (convinent time with financial stability). If you have a marriage level love with your S.O but arent financially stable or at an opportune time to get married, in your mind and heart really there should be no difference before and after you actually do get married.
If you think getting married will solve all the problems, the relationship isn't a "real" relationship yet, if marriage changes things super drastically between the couple, they probably should have bonded more before marriage, at least that is my opinion, people believing that marriage and relationship is different and that the wedding and the document will actually change anything is probably a big reason for divorce in the US. 

Guest johnpatric

No I have never asked her password.. and I didn't need it, because we are very open to each other and there is no secretes or private things in our life so I never ever needed to ask her password.. yeah we use pattern lock in out cell phone but we knew how the pattern whatever we set..

Guest joannanana

i've never given out my passwords cuz they never asked haha but one of my ex boyfriends just gave me his without me asking, and my current bf never gave me his password LOL so it really depends on the person.  but like, it all just comes down to whether you trust your bf/gf enough, and even though my ex gave me his password i never checked his messages or anything so yeahh all about the trust in your relationship. :) 

Guest green3zy

I have never given my passwords before nor have I ever asked anyone for theirs. I believe in keeping something for myself. I'd rather trust the person I'm with just like how I want to be trusted.

The idea is more around whether or not you trust the other person. I mean knowing their password doesn't mean you will actually login to all their various emails and sites. Its just knowing they trust you enough to give it to you.

But all depends on how long you have been in a relationship for, aswell. A year prob not. 10 years, ill say yes.

Archived