Do you think it's weird to dine out alone?

Guest motherducker

Guest motherducker

As the title question: do you think it's weird to eat out alone?
For me, if it's a fast food place, like mcdonalds or tim hortons, or within a mall, I'll sit eat my food in the restaurant with my phone to keep me company. If it's something more upscale like a 4 star restaurant, I probably wouldn't dine in alone. 
Last week, I up'd it a notch and went to Denny's (if you would consider it fast food) for my lunch break and ate alone. I told my friends and they said it was pretty sad. But I don't really see how it is??? Often time when I'm eating out alone, it's during my break from work, which is pretty much the only time I have to myself from work. So naturally I'd want to rest and eat my food in peace. I know some people who has to eat their food with company.
So what do you guys think? Weird or not? What kind of restaurants would you consider dining in alone at?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest squeakumz

I personally don't see anything wrong with eating by one's self. Don't get me wrong, I like having company when I eat because I feel like that's one of living's great pleasures :) But, when you're busy, or when other people are busy, it's not so weird to have a meal by yourself. And to be honest, there are some times when you just want your alone time too. And eating out or just taking a breather, watching a movie, shopping, walking around, exercise, taking a drive, etc is helpful.

I often dine in restaurants alone, especially the diner or dive type restaurants with seating for one or two

I never dine at the fancier restaurants with the big round tables for a whole family where people usually go in groups, that would look a little unusual

I dined at a restaurant all alone once on a Saturday night and all the other tables had at least two or more people and I was all by myself, I did notice some people at another table kept laughing like they thought it was funny?

I often go out alone, shop alone, explore, doesnt bother me, going in groups wastes more time and costs more money

one of the benefits of going out alone or dining alone is you only pay for one, so it's like your getting 50% off lol! plus you can avoid the "free loaders" there is always somebody that doenst have any money and wants you to pay the bill, then they never pay you back, I rather just avoid the whole situation.

Guest daisybears

I think that's fine, sometimes I see people walk into restaurants alone and I always admire that. 

Guest robotcookies

I do this once in a while but only at casual places or where they have stools for single people to sit at. I'd do it more often but admit to feeling a bit self-conscious about it at fancier places. But I'd never judge someone else who eats alone at any place.

Guest Cool and Spicy

Interesting, I've never tried that at fancier sit down places. Fast food and casual food sure. I guess if you do dine alone you can bring a newspaper or ipad or something to be occupied with. and not just stare blankly straight ahead and eat.

in an urban environment, dining alone is very common, since it's so conveneint

if your out shopping you can simply stop by any restaurant for a quick meal and continue with your business

in a busy bustling city it's the norm since people have differerent schedules and it just isnt practical to meet at the same time at a restaurant everytime you go out

There's nothing wrong with eating alone, I do it most of the time regardless if it's a casual fastfood or some fancy restaurant. There's nothing to be conscious about it and not like anyone would care whether you eat alone or with someone (as long as you're paying the bill afterwards haha). Eating alone is good, you can dine at your own pace. It's not sad or anything.  Cool and Spicy said:  I guess if you do dine alone you can bring a newspaper or ipad or something to be occupied with. and not just stare blankly straight ahead and eat.

Guest brianroxxx

living alone in a new city, dinning alone has become a weekly routine for me, at first it was weird but not so much now.
I think it is rather peaceful ~.~

i've eaten at casual dine in restaurants alone, never went anywhere particularly fancy, since you are usually paying for environment rather than the flavor of the food as you climb that high in the star rating. 
I think i would genuinely feel bad to see someone go to a buffet alone, to me a buffet is a very social thing, you go in a group and talk about what you picked out, you over eat to make up for the high price of the buffet, you regret the choice to try to turn a profit through eating and laugh all the way into a food coma together. 
i also feel like it is the most depressing thing to see someone cry while they eat (like they havent eaten for so long).
eating alone in the day time is pretty normal tho, you see people eating alone all the time, reading the news paper and stuff.

Guest termus123

I once ate at a restaurant alone and the waitress mistakenly thought I got stood up so she said;
Waitress "Not your night huh?"Me "My evenings going ok..."
Waitress "Thats the spirit!"Me "You're energetic..."
Waitress "How bout I get you a cup of ice cream on me?"Me "Only if you let me share half of it with you"
Waitress "You drive a pretty hard bargain but hey, why not, quiet night tonight anyways and it must have sucked being stood up"Me *Thinking in my head wtf? She thought I got stood up just because I ordered a glass of wine + appetizer and reading my work e-mails? Well whatever the case she seems pretty nice, maybe I'll play along*Me "Me stood up? Weren't you my date that I was waiting for?"
So I guess eating alone wasn't a bad idea after all :D

Guest Deje

I don't really think it is all that weird
Anyway. Here are some testimonials from people who have dined alone.
Zudan, 45 - "All my brides are back in the motherland, safe and sound, so I usually dine alone."
Tom, 31 - "Uh...well. When i'm not dining alone I usually eat with homeless people off the streets in a dining hall." 

Sister X, 24 - "The places I eat at have tables for only one person. What else am I supposed to do?"

Archived