A bit of advice if you please ^^

Guest myungheenuna

Guest myungheenuna

Hello! Um, well, I just need advice. I've never really dated before, and I'm horrible at flirting and the like because I'm so shy. But anyways, there is this Thai restaurant that I have gone to for years and just two weeks ago I discovered a new waiter there. Long story short, the first time our eyes met, I felt really warm inside. I've never really felt his way before about anyone. But I am too shy and inexperienced to say anything. I cannot even say hello, except for "thank you" when he refills my drink and takes away dishes. I also get really flustered and I can't eat right whenever he comes around to my table and I can't look him in the eye. I guess my question is how do I go about striking a conversation with him without sounding desperate or weird? I've never really talked to guys much (in a flirtatious way), so I just don't know what to do. Even more so a waiter! 
A little background as to what has happened recently:
So I went with my parents for a little family date (this is when I first "met" him), and although he wasn't our server, he did help our table a lot. Afterwards my mother teased me and said that "he kept on staring". I laughed it off because I didn't believe it.
Then I went again about a week ago. Before we went I wouldn't stop thinking about him, and I was always vocal about going to the Thai restaurant to eat. But I only said for the food because I'm too shy about admitting I have a crush (but the food is pretty delicious as well!). Anyways, so a week ago my mother said she wanted to go out on a mother/daughter date since it's been a while, and she drove me to the Thai restaurant. The minute we walk into the door there is the waiter and I swear the whole world froze. He ended up being our server for that day, and I couldn't even eat haha. We only went for dessert so we left quickly and I felt so weird. I noticed that the whole kitchen and servers were staring at me as we were walking out, and I saw a couple of them whispering to each other. I'm really self conscious because I could feel their eyes on me, so I thought maybe I was being a bit obvious about my crush and they were making fun of me. Anyways he says "Have a nice day!" and all I could do was smile without saying a word... Once we get into the car, my mother then said to me: "You know I only came here for the both of you." So I don't really know what she meant, but I think it's obvious about my crush on the waiter, so she probably knows haha. 
So YES, each time, I go. I don't say anything, and I regret it each time. Please I need advice haha, I don't like this heavy feeling on my heart. Lol and my gosh this all sounds so cheesy when I read over this. Oh well ^^'

I can never imagine getting to know a girl Im interested in while with one of my parents.  On top of that, if I was in the waiter's position, I wouldnt flirt with a girl whos with her parent.  Next time, go with a female friend and if you are shy, you can ask your friend beforehand to be your wingman, try to get a conversation going.  Dont go during peak hours like 1130-2pm or 600-830pm.  If the waiter is handling 3 or more tables how will you even know if hes uninterested in you or being a diligent worker.
So some things you can say to him are asking him to recommend a dish, ask him how long hes been working there, something casual in hopes of him continuing the conversation to gauge his interest in you.  At the same time, hes new so he might just think its normal patron conversation, so dont be afraid to ask more than one question.  If no sparks are flying then later on as he keeps serving you, you can say "thank you!  you are such a great waiter" and maybe a sweet compliment will get him going.
I dont think you are cheesy, keep us updated!

^he maybe shy as well and totally oblivious to his surroundings. i think a sure way would be to have the friend state the obvious. if he is single and straight, i see no reason why he wouldnt respond positively. worst case scenario, youll have to find a new thai restaurant for thai food.

on a different note. looking at her avatar, what a lucky sob.

Guest Bubbie

Sounds pretty cute. I would try to avoid going there for a few weeks to see if he still feels the same towards you and if he is still the same as before, i would take your chances and ask him out for a outing, coffee, lunch/dinner, you name it. 
But it sounds like both of you are shy interacting which each other, and given the surroundings, him working in a restaurant with his co-workers, and yourself with your mum, either side don't want to make a fool of themselves in front of them.

Think of it this way.. it might help you since you are inexperienced. The first goal you need to achieve is getting the guys number and it sounds like you are pretty damn shy about even taking a glance at this guy

Here's the kicker, do it for your chance at love. Think as if this relationship is bigger than you. Do a little evil to do a greater good.

Since you are not going to know what to say and your heart will probably beat like crazy, I will give you some directions. When you get a chance to see him again, ask him casually, "How you doing today?" It doesn't matter what he replies after that, ask him how often he works and get a grasp of his schedule, then gradually hit the spot, do you want to go for coffee sometime? Then with whatever he replies, ask him for his number.

You have to get his number unless he blatantly says no to your coffee question. Don't wait until you finish your dinner. You can't pull a how are you doing if you been there for 30 minutes. It's just too damn weird. Do it on your first interaction with him.

Eat light, and when you think it's about to get awkward throw in a joke, something like you better reply to my text. Little things like that might help you out. Remember, getting the number is your goal.

Guest myungheenuna

Okay! So I will try and combine all of your ideas and try this next time: I will go with a friend and I will ask for his number! >.< If that doesn't work, I will most likely have to find another Thai restaurant haha ^^' Or I'll just try and think of something myself, too ... but thank you, everyone!

Guest shooting_stars

Haha this is too cute!

OK, since you're obviously really shy, I think the best method for you would be to leave him YOUR number instead. I work in a restaurant and this kind of thing happens a lot. First, I recommend going with a girl friend, then while you guys are there, try to get over your shyness by talking to him! You don't have to make a long conversation (he might be busy, or has another very needy table, after all), but you definitely have to say something so that he can remember your face (I'm sure he does, but you never know - a guy left me his number once and I totally forgot what he looked like because I've served so many people that unless there was something very distinct about you, I might forget your face...>_<). Just make small talk. Don't ask him what he recommends because that's weird since you've been going there longer than he's been working there, so obviously you should know what you like...but instead, pretend that you're having difficulty choosing between two dishes, and then ask him which of the two he prefers. It doesn't have to be any more than that. At the end, compliment him on his service, tip well, and you can either write your number on a napkin and slip it in the checkbook, or write it on the bill with some simple message. A guy once wrote me, "would you like to get drinks/coffee sometime? #" so you could also do that. Or you could write something cute (whatever fits your personality), like another compliment on his service/hair/shoes/etc. And then your number and NAME! (Super important. Sometimes people forget their name and I'm not sure what they're hoping to be called.)

I recommend leaving your number because then the pressure will be less on you afterwards, since you will have tossed him the ball, and then the ball will be in his court. You also don't have to face the awkward rejection in person in case he does say no (for whatever reason, though highly unlikely!), and you don't have to feel that nervous gut-wrenching feeling before asking someone out on a date since you can just leave right after leaving your number.

If he doesn't text/call, then he's not interested and you don't have to go back to the restaurant (always a risky thing to do if you're really in love with the food, but I'm sure it's not that big of a sacrifice). If he does, great! The rest of the process is up to you :)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Guest aiambest

Everyone has given good advice as is but I agree with the above poster. As you said you're shy and inexperienced, it would be a better and probably easier option for you to leave your name and number on a piece of paper and slip it to him after paying instead of asking for his number. 
I feel this option would also give you a better gauge of his interest as well as relationship status. If he's a good guy, he wouldn't be contacting you on the chance that he is already in a relationship. 

Good luck and keep us updated! :)

I advise you to follow the others' advice of actually doing something about this attraction. I also had a crush on a guy who worked at a bookstore (which is like Heaven for me). Almost everything about him was perfect, attractive, wore glasses, actually enjoyed reading books, is a pretty nice guy and I was too shy and scared of rejection to approach him. He seemed like the type of guy that I would be comfortable with. I dragged my friends to the store to see how cute he was and they were the ones who ended up talking to him. You're lucky because he seems like he's actually interested in you.

Guest HERMIT

Man, just cut straight to the point.

This is a Thai restaurant, right?  Home of spicy food.
So the next time you go there and you're ordering food, when you're asked, "How spicy do you want it?" just reply, "I want it as hot as that waiter over there" - or "I want it as hot as you" if he happens to be the waiter.

BAM.  If that doesn't break the ice, that will sure as hell melt it.

(Man, too bad this was a Thai restaurant and not a Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles.
'Cause then maybe that waiter could've been me.)

You know what, as silly as @Hermit 's advice may seem, it's pretty legit.

When I was working as a waiter, I inclined to make the dining experience as pleasant as possible. Due to this, I wasn't in a position to flirt or ask out one of the customers. I also couldn't tell whether particularly flirtatious customers were happy about the food, the atmosphere, the service, or me. In this scenario, the customer (you) would have to initiate any sort of interest. If you're too shy about doing anything upfront, you may try leaving a note on the receipt.

Guest HERMIT

^
I like the idea about leaving a message on the receipt.  I suppose that would probably be the easier route to go if you are a little timid about being blatantly up front.  The only drawback is that you might not be around and long gone by the time he gets around to seeing the message.  Or, if he does, there isn't really too much time for 'follow up' as you are presumably already headed out the door.  Yet, if it's just sowing the seed of interest for the time being that should do the trick.  But then that would mean you should go back to the restaurant again - and somewhat soon so that it's not "out of sight, out of mind" ... and he may forget about you and the little message.

Guest atarie

Better to have loved than not loved at all... in other words GO FOR IT... NO REGRETS!!! the worse that will happen is he'll say he's not interested and you'll have to avoid the restaurant for a bit LOL... but other than that... DO ETTTT... life's too short to be wasted wondering and fretting... NO FEAR :)... good luck and lettuce know what happens :)

Archived