How do I get this hairstyle?

Rip Tide

I recommend bringing in this picture and show the hair stylist. I think with black hair, all the different layers won't be as visible. In that picture, the guy has lighter hair in the top layers so it adds to the layered effect. But it will still look fine with black hair... it's not crucial that you dye your hair or anything just for this hair cut.  

Just bring in the picture to your hairstylist and tell them you want a two block hair cut. The guy in the picture, his sides used to be shaved so his hair just grew out to that length on the side. And his hair is probably naturally straight as well , and I doubt he has a perm, his stylist probably just style it for him everyday. 
and it's really easy to style this hair with a straightener, just curl inwards and then use hair wax/clay to define the layers more and hairspray (if you want) to hold. If you have black hair, the layers won't be as visible, but it'll still look fine. 
-edit:found one of my old pics from a few years back. I used to have a similar haircut and style. Mines more curly/wavy than the picture you want though, but the technique to get the style is basically the same. If you roll it inwards more with the straightener, it'll be more wavy/curly like mine, but if you just roll your straightener a little bit then you'll get the results you want. IMG_1608_zps90644c50.jpg

Archived