Favourite Mooncakes?

Guest Tina Fang

Guest Tina Fang

I don't know if there's another thread on mooncakes, but after approximately 10 minutes of skimming forums without finding one I decided to post one!
Most of you probably know that the Mid-Autumn Festival is coming up. This year, it's on the 19th of September.
It's around this time (early September/late August) that my family starts stocking up on mooncakes, and receiving mooncakes from friends.
I myself like the traditional Chinese mooncakes; circular ones with lotus seed paste in the middle and NO salty yolks in the center. I don't know about you guys, but I detest yolks in my mooncakes, and I flat out refuse to eat my mooncake if i uncover one of those beasts inside like a 5 year old brat.
There's lots of different flavors of mooncakes, though. Haagen Daz, I've heard, even has ice cream mooncakes. There are also white lotus seed paste mooncakes, black sesame mooncakes, red bean mooncakes, green bean mooncakes, durian mooncakes, pineapple mooncakes, chocolate mooncakes, mixed nut mooncakes (my mom's favourite) and so much more!
What are your favourite types? :)

I don't really care for mooncakes, I usually just eat 1/4 of one mooncake and that's enough for me; too sweet! That's why I prefer the ones with yolk in them because the saltiness offsets the sweet lotus.
But I really want to try the ice skin mooncakes. The skin is like mochi and the filling usually has some kind of fruit in it. And of course, I want to try ice cream mooncakes too.

I use to love the ones with the yolk, but now I've come to like only the lotus paste ones. I hated the durian flavoured and mixed nut ones the most. Ice cream moon cakes are so yummy!

Guest JayCy90

I'm not really a mooncake person. I used to find the smell of moon cakes off putting.  @-) But in the recent years, if I were to eat moon cakes, I will have just a tiny slice of the snowskin moon cakes and I think I have developed an older preference for moon cakes for I love munching slowly on those mixed nuts ones.  :\">

• 2 weeks later...
Guest victoliae

I think I am pretty neutral to all of them except I don't like the salty yolks... I don't know, for some reason the texture never rubbed me right I always want to spit it out :x

Guest appleheads

I love the lotus paste and the red beans are my favorites. I'm not big on those salty eggs on the center either :/ I usually just cut off that part haha

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest calendar

Ahh I love Red Bean Mooncakes!//I'm not a big fan of Lotus though... and I really hate the ones with the weird crumbly egg yolk thing in the center.

• 4 weeks later...

I love all moon cake that doesn't have egg yolk in them. It seems to disrupt the flavor for me.
My favorite would be the green jade variants and the red bean variants. Love the sweet taste of those two.

Archived