Would you date someone online?

Guest bakemonochan

Guest bakemonochan

Since I talk to people online, some of them ended up liking me, but I couldn't return their feelings because I know how hard it is to date over the distance. And besides, they were in another continent .___. We wouldn't be able to see each other...only like after a few years from now ):
What do you think?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wolfbane

To be honest, i just got over a 4 years online/ long distance relationship that ended in the worst way ever.
She lied to me about her identityShe lied to me about her death, twice.And i almost lost my life because of her.
Anw moral of the story bakemonochan, never ever trust anyone 100% even though how nice they may seem or how in love u guys are, especially since its online.

eh, I would, there's someone I got pretty attached to just from skyping 3 hours a day for a few months, I think that could do it for many guys... she even already had a bf AND she was 6 timezones away and I still couldn't help it.

I'd have to say that I can take more risks in what I say because it is online. And it's notably less consequential or probably even serious :/ I also have to say that it's easier to get over because of the already imparted difference.

Guest nana544

Maybe I would if knowing that it could become something more, than just an online dating thing. We would have to visit each other and stuff. Also, webcam now and then.

@wolfbane, how extreme and mess up that is.

Guest krose

Both of my relationships started online. My first one ended up with him becoming one of my closest friends since a relationship between us just didn't work out due to complications.
My second one ended up as a serious relationship. We're on a break now, but I have a strong feeling we'll end up together eventually once he's able to come to California in a year.
Online relationships eventually turn into long distance relationships, which aren't for everyone. I'm a pretty independent person so I do my own thing and just let my s/o know what's up in my life so a long distance relationship works out since he's pretty similar in that respect. We don't cling onto each other to do things, although he was a little too distant for me at times.
If you're the type of person to need to be physically close to someone, it definitely won't work out so save yourself the heartache, and don't do it.

Guest Cheriish.Me

I wouldn't start a relationship via online as it can be something I would not expect.If you think about it... let's say if majority of time is spent online, we would create an image how our s/o is like as a person.
When you do meet in person, they may come out to be the person you did not imagine. It's better to know a person as a person face to face prior to getting into a relationship with them.You know the saying where you get to know the REAL person they are when you start living with them. The internet is like a step back from a relationship that is in real life because of the barrier. 
Long distance relationship is another topic... of course it will be difficult to maintain depending on the person.

Guest systane

I'm usually a silent reader but had to join because I saw the thread and needed to tell you my thoughts.

Just like wolfbane, I had a similar experience -minus the death and age. Wait, maybe I wouldn't know about age...

Honestly, I'm on the fence of online dating. If it's long distance, seriously, don't bother.

If the person you meet is within your area, I would think about it and give it a try. But, I would VERIFY first, via face-to-face camera chat like Skype or Facetime, etc.

Definitely, verify face to face first! You don't want to be lied to or get cat-fished.

I never believed in online dating. But after my friends kept on nagging me to go online and find my significant other based on their own clients' and co-workers experience, I finally gave it a try last year. And on my first try, wow, I am upset and mad at myself (even now). I'm extremely against long distance. First of all, it was already a 3-4 hour drive from where I lived -then found out he was deployed in Afghanistan and won't be back within a few months. We face-to-face webcam 2 times. First time, he could see me, but I could never see him. He claims its because of their internet in Afghanistan.. the US base had "bad connection". I believed him. Second time around, same thing. When it was time that he would be back int he States, I never received his calls again. And during that same week, was when the Manti-Te'o scandal broke out and they even told about the Skype and black screen-couldn't-see-her... Seriously, that was when I got the "aha" moment that I had been catfished... but really, I was still stupid and don't really want to get into details... This is why I said, verify, verify and verify....

I started to do my own research on online dating when I started to think this whole thing was a lie. I WISH I followed my gut when the Manti-Teo scandal was out and should have stopped and shouldn't have followed my friends suggestion. When I researched, I read on several people's advice and 9/10 times, all of them mention online is... never start anything online if its distance because most of them are SCAMS. And I was scammed, not just emotionally, but financially.

Guest jammer25

As long as you put the effort into making sure the person on the other end is real and genuine, I don't see a problem with dating online.

I haven't tried it, though. Been too focused on my business, so in some ways it's harder to meet people in person and have the time to date. In that sense, online dating may make more sense for my situation, so who knows. Maybe in the future.

Do what you think will make you happy at the end. Don't worry about what people will think, it's you at the end that matters.

I would talk to people online, but I would not date someone solely through the internet, even if I like or feel close to them. How do you date someone online? Chat with them every day? That's what I do with my friends...

Guest laobanh

Well with today's applications (Skype, Google Hangouts, etc) it shouldn't really be a big deal to date someone online. Keep in mind, it only replicates in person socialization to a degree. IF you two do end up meeting in person, it'll be a totally different experience as to virtually meeting.
Personally, since I'm of legal age, I'd rather meet the person at least once in the first portion of a potential relationship to be; distance doesn't matter, I'll travel to across the world if I have to. You're limited to such relationships and experiences if you don't travel and explore. If it doesn't work out when you first meet them, spend the week in that area; you may meet someone else while you have a mini vacation.
Just be cautious... Never think with your emotions. It can get you, well, emotionally broken and financially. It doesn't take a genius to realize that when you video call someone, that's who they'll mostly portray in person.

"Dating" someone you only know online seems very adolescent and immature. There is no way you could ever pursue a real relationship with that person. Anyone who believes in that is a rare case or has been watching too many romance movies. It's not viable or realistic. Meeting someone online (then in person) is another story. With all the sites out there like Match, OKCupid, and eHarmony, it's possible to find a boyfriend or girlfriend if you're lucky and talk to someone is sane and not a liar. The only downside to that is you have to pay for most of those sites. If you're paying to meet people and go on dates that have more of a chance that they won't work out than will succeed, you must be very lonely and desperate.
I've only tried OKCupid myself, and the one "date" (if you can even call it that) I went on with a girl who simply had to meet me was rather awkward since she wound up assessing to see if I was interested in her friends... That and her best friend was her ex-boyfriend.

Archived