[Movie 2014] The Pirates 해적: 바다로 간 산적

Guest sunshine4ever

Guest sunshine4ever

JZ6gTzo.jpg
Movie: Pirates (literal title)
Korean Title: 해적: 바다로 간 산적
Genre: Adventure
Director: Lee Suk-Hoon (Dancing Queen and The Two Faces of My Girlfriend)
Writer: Cheon Sung-il (The Slave Hunter)
Producer: Hari Mao Pictures
First Filming Date: August 15th, 2013
Release Date: August 6th, 2014
Runtime: 130 min
 Distributor: Lotte Entertainment
Official Site: Pirates 해적: 바다로 간 산적
Official Site's Release: First 4 Mins of the Movie (click to watch in HD)

FULL TRAILER with English subs (watch in HD)

SHORT TRAILER

CAST & CHARACTERS

Kim Nam-Gil -
Jang Sa-Jung (bandit)
Son Ye-Jin -
Yeo-Wol (pirate)
Sulli - Heuk-Myo (pirate)
Kim Tae Woo - Moh Heung Gap
Lee Kyoung-Young
Yu Hae-Jin -
bandit
Oh Dal-Su
Ahn Nae-Sang
Park Cheol-Min -
bandit
Jo Dal-Hwan -
San-Man (bandit)
Kim Won-Hae -
bandit

32535735_184491c9_IMG_9221.PNGmovie_image.jpg

PLOT
(credits to KPopFighting)
Billed as the Korean version of ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’, the movie is set in the Joseon Dynasty and revolves around a giant whale which swallowed a royal seal, and the coming together of a mountain bandit Jang Sa Jung (Kim Nam Gil) and a female pirate Yeo Wol (Son Ye Jin), and their respective groups who seek to capture it.

IH9szXJ.jpg

CREDITS
AsiaWiki.com for most of the information listed above.

Soompi Forum's Thread Rules: Must Read and Follow
Soompi Forum Rules & K-drama & Movies Sub Forum Rules 
1. Do not post any requests for subs.
2. Do not quote images or videos.
3. Anything unrelated to the movie plot is considered spamming.
4. Do not post unrelated gifs or pictures to this movie thread.
5. PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!
(
Most of the house rules credit to moderators.)
Thank you and let's have fun! <3

Photos and videos are courtesy of Naver and various media sources (as well as the person creating them).  Please give credit to where credit is due if you take anything (translations, information, images) out of Soompi.
If you see any errors in the linkage to news, pictures, or videos, please kindly private message @sunshine4ever to fix.
THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR CONTRIBUTION IN THIS THREAD. <3
Last updated:
August 3, 2014

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sunshine4ever

class="entry-title"Kim Nam-gil and Son Ye-jin Cast in New Adventure Pic Posted on 2013/07/03 by Lee Eun Ah in FILM with 1 Comment

WRMLJwf.jpg
^Actor Kim Nam-gil (left) and Son Ye-jin (right) at the press event for the KBS drama “Don’t Look Back” held in Seoul, Korea. [TenAsia/ Lee Jin Hyuk]

Actor Kim Nam-gil and actress Son Ye-jin have been cast in a new Korean blockbuster, the film’s promoter said on Wednesday.

An official with Lotte Entertainment told TenAsia over the phone that the two were cast in a new film tentatively titled “Pirates.”

The sea voyage film, set during the early Joseon Dynasty, centers on pirates on a mission to hunt down a whale that swallowed the king’s stamp.

The film will be written by Cheon Sung-il who wrote KBS’s smash hit historical drama “The Slave Hunter” (2010) and directed by Lee Seok-hoon of political comedy film “Dancing Queen” (2012).

The film is scheduled to crank in August and is set to premiere in Korean theaters next year.

Meanwhile, the two lead roles are currently starring in KBS drama “Don’t Look Back” which airs every Monday and Tuesday.

Reporter. Lee Eun Ah domino@tenasia.co.kr
Photographer. Lee Jin Hyuk
Editor. Jessica Kim

Source

----------

by Joan MacDonald   Jul 04, 2013 09:37 AM EDT

class="cb b15"Son Ye Jin and Kim Nam Gil Take Their Chemistry To The Big Screen

7LxF2ho.jpg

When the KBS drama "Shark ends its run, it will not be the end of the onscreen chemistry between actors Son Ye Jin and Kim Nam Gil, The co-stars of the dark revenge story will take their chemistry as a couple to the big screen in the film "Pirates."

The film, already being called the Korean version of "Pirates of the Caribbean," will begin shooting at the end of July and film into August.

But it's not quite the same story. Kim Nam Gil will not play the Johnny Depp role of Jack Sparrow. Rumors have it that the roles will be reversed with Son Ye Jin being a pirate and Kim Nam Gil playing a thief who does his stealing on dry land.

The film is about a group of Joseon-era pirates who hunt for a ghost whale that is filled with treasure because it swallowed a ship. Kim Nam Gil's character teams up with Son Ye Jin's character to hunt the whale and in the process they must fight off other pirates. Their characters will have to learn how to work together.

Before "Shark" began filming, Son Ye Jin was asked how she felt about working with Kim Nam Gil. She confessed that she was pleasantly surprised when she met him.

"It might be because of his previous dramas but my image of Kim Nam Gil before I met him was that of a bad guy," said Son Ye Jin. "But his real personality is cute and he is adorable."

Kim Nam Gil said that his being adorable had to do with her.

"Son Ye Jin brings it out in all of us," he said at the pre-drama press conference. "A competition has started between the male actors."

Son Ye Jin has indeed had some adorable roles in the seven dramas and dozen films she appeared in. Maybe the most adorable was Park Gae In the clumsy carpenter in "Personal Taste." But the actress is also talented at melodrama. She played the tragic Alzheimer's patient in the film "A Moment To Remember" and is the haunted prosecutor Jo Hae Woo in "Shark."

Kim Nam Gil has been in 16 dramas, including the one that underlined his bad boy image, "Bad Guy." He has also been in a dozen films. He plays Han Yi Soo, a man consumed by revenge, in "Shark."

He and Son Ye Jin actually worked on the same drama once. He had a cameo in "Personal Taste" as a man sitting in a bar, but it is not known if they even saw each other on set. 

Chun Sung Il, who wrote "Chuno" and "Level 7 Civil Servant," created the script for "Pirates." Lee Suk Hoon, who directed "Dancing Queen" and "Two Faces Of My Girlfriend" will direct. The film has been described as a blockbuster because of the almost $9 million invested in it.

Source: http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/9889/20130704/son-ye-jin-kim-nam-gil-take-chemistry-big-screen.htm

--------

'Shark's Kim Nam Gil and Son Ye Jin to bring their chemistry to theaters with 'Pirates'

Kim Nam Gil and Son Ye Jin are already heating up the small screen in their current KBS 2TV drama, 'Shark', and the couple will do it again on the big screen in the new film 'Pirates'!

A representative revealed, "Kim Nam Gil and Son Ye Jin have been confirmed to star in the film, 'Pirates'."

'Pirates', which will be directed by Lee Suk Hoon, has already been dubbed as the Korean version of the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' and approximately 10 billion Won (~8.8 million USD) will be invested into the film. The upcoming movie portrays the story of a group of pirates on the hunt for a whale filled with treasure during the Joseon Dynasty.

The cast and crew will begin filming for 'Pirates' at the end of July to early August, meaning Kim Nam Gil and Son Ye Jin will begin filming right after finishing the finale of 'Shark'.

Source

Guest hstar16

@sunshine4ever: thank you very much for this thread, i knew that some fans created many funny pics for Ye JIn and Nam Jin in pirates role =)), can you post all in here :x

Guest vttr11

Hi everyone, the plot sounds very strange. SYJ would have a very challenging role here since she plays a pirate? I was wondering how her beautiful and innocent face could become a pirate???

Guest hstar16

vttr11 said: Hi everyone, the plot sounds very strange. SYJ would have a very challenging role here since she plays a pirate? I was wondering how her beautiful and innocent face could become a pirate???

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sunshine4ever

This news contain spoilers from the drama "Shark." Please be aware before reading it. Thanks.

Kim Nam-gil and Son Ye-jin's frustrated romance may bloom in a new film

Source | 2013/07/31

fullsizephoto332575.jpg

The recently finished KBS2 TV program "Shark" (screenwritten by Kim Jee-woo, directed by Park Chan-hong) ended on a sad note. However, through the new film "Pirates" (directed by Lee Seok-hoon under Mao Hari Pictures) they may get another chance.

Kim Nam-gil's agency Star J Entertainment told the Star Review "Kim Nam-gil is ready to start filming in August", and "He is ready to work again with Son Ye-jin".

It's been reported that Kim Nam-gil and Son Ye-jin were already preparing for the new busy work schedule as soon as they finished filming the series' final episode. With "Shark" and this new movie filming right after one another it will be an interesting chance to see Kim Nam-gil and Son Ye-jin side by side in different projects.

The movie "Pirates" is set during the Joseon Dynasty as female pirates struggle with bandits to capture a whale. The film has great expectations as it's expected to be the Korean challenge to the "Pirates of the Carribean" franchise. Lotte Entertainment has invested 10 billion won in the film.

As the two lead characters in "Shark" met a tragic fate, it's expected that the "Pirates" film is going to take a more easygoing, light-hearted tone.

Source : reviewstar.hankooki.c... ( English Korean )

Guest smse89

yaaay kim nam gil in historical "saeguk" piece agaaain hes always suited for saeguk dramass( and not to mention other genres also, he could manipulate his eye movements, facial expressions as well as voice intonations better  than any other korean actor. A saeguk needs thhose capabilities and im sure he'll be able to carry it out well

Guest tiffany.shin

sunshine4ever said:

This news contain spoilers from the drama "Shark." Please be aware before reading it. Thanks.

Kim Nam-gil and Son Ye-jin's frustrated romance may bloom in a new film

Source | 2013/07/31

fullsizephoto332575.jpg

The recently finished KBS2 TV program "Shark" (screenwritten by Kim Jee-woo, directed by Park Chan-hong) ended on a sad note. However, through the new film "Pirates" (directed by Lee Seok-hoon under Mao Hari Pictures) they may get another chance.

Kim Nam-gil's agency Star J Entertainment told the Star Review "Kim Nam-gil is ready to start filming in August", and "He is ready to work again with Son Ye-jin".

It's been reported that Kim Nam-gil and Son Ye-jin were already preparing for the new busy work schedule as soon as they finished filming the series' final episode. With "Shark" and this new movie filming right after one another it will be an interesting chance to see Kim Nam-gil and Son Ye-jin side by side in different projects.

The movie "Pirates" is set during the Joseon Dynasty as female pirates struggle with bandits to capture a whale. The film has great expectations as it's expected to be the Korean challenge to the "Pirates of the Carribean" franchise. Lotte Entertainment has invested 10 billion won in the film.

As the two lead characters in "Shark" met a tragic fate, it's expected that the "Pirates" film is going to take a more easygoing, light-hearted tone.

Source : reviewstar.hankooki.c... ( English Korean )

They are back to work so soon :) Shark - and SYJ's last shooting scene only ended a week ago.

It seems a little strange for me that Shark is now considered a "past" - not current drama: I have been on an emotional rollcoaster with it for nearly 3 months.

But I am very glad to see KNJ and SYJ work together again. It's rare that they choose to collaborate in 2 consecutive projects: they must have very high trust in each other.

I love their chemistry :) and honestly I root for these 2 (even though I read somewhere that KNJ prefers women older than him =)) ) Even if the romance doesn't work, I believe they will become good friends - they both have good relationships with their previous co-stars.

Shark is a revenge drama with dark theme. Even romance is related to a controversial subject: adultery. Rating isn't high for various reason but then high-quality drama and great acting don't always equal high rating

This time, I hope great success for Pirates. When you have 2 main leads as Kim Nam Gil and Son Ye Jin and their amazing chemistry in a light-hearted movie, you can't go wrong :)

I will follow the movie progress closely and patiently wait for its release  :)

Guest hstar16

class="title" style="margin: 0px 0px 20px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: normal; font-size: 26px; font-family: NanumGothicWeb; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 1.5; color: rgb(255, 102, 0); text-shadow: white 1px 1px 0px;"Kim Nam-gil and Son Ye-jin’s frustrated romance may bloom in a new filmThe recently finished KBS2 TV program “Shark” (screenwritten by Kim Jee-woo, directed byPark Chan-hong) ended on a sad noteimage However, through the new film “Pirates” (directed by Lee Seok-hoon under Mao Hari Pictures) they may get another chanceimage

Kim Nam-gil‘s agency Star J Entertainment told the Star Review “Kim Nam-gil is ready to start filming in August”, and “He is ready to work again with Son Ye-jinimage

It’s been reported that Kim Nam-gil and Son Ye-jin were already preparing for the new busy work schedule as soon as they finished filming the series’ final episode. With “Shark” and this new movie filming right after one another it will be an interesting chance to see Kim Nam-gil and Son Ye-jin side by side in different projectsimage

The movie “Pirates” is set during the Joseon Dynasty as female pirates struggle with bandits to capture a whale. The film has great expectations as it’s expected to be the Korean challenge to the “Pirates of the Carribean” franchiseimage Lotte Entertainment has invested 10 billion won in the film.

As the two lead characters in “Shark” met a tragic fateimage it’s expected that the “Pirates” film is going to take a more easygoing, light-hearted toneimage

http://en.hikpop.com/?p=153922

Guest vttr11

Oh my... It has been almost a week since last shark episode. I still can't get over it. I'm patiently waiting for pirate. I hope we'll get a lot of updates on this movie. The bad part is it usually takes a very long time for a movie to come out. Last time the "tower" was finished filming early 2012 but didn't release until December 2012. It also took several months later for it to show up in US theater. Goshhh... Why can't they release it as soon as they are done filming.. Why does it often take almost a year later? So if pirate is released in mid 2014, that means we won't see it until early 2015...sighhhh

Guest rintintintin

Weee!!! Looks like they're not tired after their drama Shark. :)) I told my mom that they have a new movie together and my mom said: Really???? I'm rooting for them and I like these 2 already hihihi! I'm looking forward on these wonderful movie! Can't wait for 2014 to see that. :P

Guest tiffany.shin

@lyra_brillantez & @pollarstar thank u for sharing some bts/updates on Pirates!!   <:-P achk! so excited!! awesome to see that they are right back to working with each other on this new project heheh does anyone know when the preempted release date for this film is? haha yes yes i know bit soon given they have only started filming but im so eager! haha. SYJ as a thieving pirate sounds awesome haha it'll be nice to see her reprise another quirky role after her role in Chilling Romance (w Lee Minki).  :x haha i wonder if KNG is going to have a moustache in this too  :)) honestly, i like it. haha 

Guest vttr11

Hello @aurora09 and everybody else. It's great to see you guys here in this thread after shark for more discussion on pirates. Hope this movie will light up the darkness that shark brought upon us :)

Archived