Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Meeting strangers on Facebook?

venus17venus17 Posts: 230Member

IDOL

edited June 2013 in the real world (20+ ONLY)
What is your opinion on this matter? Let's say you randomly come across someone who seems interesting (via photos, any info available) and you have no mutual friends, live in separate locations, etc - would you extend a friend request invite? I personally have sent messages introducing myself, not friend requests - and nobody's responded back. haha. But I don't understand why it'd be that weird, it's not like I post personal stuff on my Facebook anyways. I guess some people do..... 

If someone were to send you a friend request or a message on facebook who lives in a separate country, would you accept? Would you give a reply? How should it be done so it's not so weird?

I mean let's face it, it gets harder and harder to meet new people during our age and if Facebook is meant for social network, why not? 

superhumanchichi

Replies

• inxomniainxomnia FunkytownnPosts: 1,103Member

IDOL

Um no. That's what dating websites are for. I personally don't just accept anybody because I'm a private person. Also, I'm wary of some random having access to my personal photos and my wall.

Yes Facebook is meant for social networking but with people you already now and keeping in contact not to scour the net for random strangers. So no matter how its done, it'd be weird.
    nana544superhumanchichi
  • venus17venus17 Posts: 230Member

IDOL

Well I obviously did not mean it explicitly for dating - being interested in someone for who they are doesn't automatically refer to a potential romantic partner. 

• inxomniainxomnia FunkytownnPosts: 1,103Member

IDOL

kaiou89 wrote: »
    Well I obviously did not mean it explicitly for dating - being interested in someone for who they are doesn't automatically refer to a potential romantic partner. 

It doesn't really matter what your intention is if you're asking about the response because it most likely comes across as strange or creepy. I mean if you wanted to pass the time or whatnot, there's always other ways. Facebook is a hub of private information; I mean I see people with their mobile numbers listed, their locations checked in all the time, a lot of compromising photos, workplace etc. Whilst they may not care sharing that with their friends list (including acquaintances) it's an entirely different story for a complete stranger from across the globe who you have zero mutual friends. I mean c'mon, wasn't everyone taught about stranger danger from a young age?

• ajlee613ajlee613 Bay Area, CaliforniaPosts: 4,710Member

SUPERSTAR

i usually accept friends who i have friends in common. u dont usually accept complete strangers.
    Think about all the things in this life that hurts you... do not do those things.

• RayeRaye HawaiiPosts: 288Member

IDOL

There's a handful of people who would accept and befriend a random stranger via Facebook, but then again, I've seen too many episodes of Catfish to think that those people are serious about becoming your friend. I'd stick to forums to associate with online acquaintances. And heck, even back in the day, chat rooms were a pretty great way to get to meet other people. Social networking just doesn't work that way.
  • orangemanorangeman Posts: 2,650Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited July 2013
    You were part of the '90s internet craze, correct? Based on your participation in this section, I will assume it. So do you remember those child predators disguised as children and the naive kids who typed their address into the message boxes and/or met them? That old problem is inherent in any online social network where one can claim to be anyone they wish. Memes such as pedobear and ITZ A TRAP!! should serve as humorous reminders.

That said, adding random people on Facebook is no different than adding random people on AOL messenger or some MMO or through forums such as this. You're interested in people and there will be plenty out there who do want to interact for the sake of interacting. Some will be a bit creepy but even your existing friends have quirks of their own that is often disregarded. I used to converse with a lot of interesting people in those AOL chatrooms--barely knew anyone's real name but that was fine because the goal was to talk about something. 

If your Facebook is literally an index of your life (with those Instagram shots and Vine videos), being weary and cautious makes sense and I will probably be the first to tell someone that. But if it's mostly a virtual yearbook + phonebook hybrid with some quips and you are not so gullible as to give away your phone number or address to someone who asks, what is the problem? You're not sending nudes and I assume those who ask for it will be quickly turned away.

Note: Facebook is a bit different than my AOL days because I think that way of internal discovery is somewhat strange. If they're not listed on some website and you randomly stumble upon their profile via links, why wouldn't they be a bit hesitant? Even through distant mutual friends, the very fact that you chose this person out of thousands of possible strangers must be a bit unnerving.
    superhumanchichiulzxhi
  • raymondc27raymondc27 CanadaPosts: 1,918Member

IDOL

I us3d to now I hardly us3 fb myself
  • writerstalewriterstale MN for nowPosts: 4,660Member

IDOL

edited July 2013
    I've met a few people in person from online. Actually got invited to my current church through mutual friends on Facebook. Met some cool & weird people in person from online. No different from meeting weird & cool people offline. 
    Avy by mangosteen
  • MannosukeMannosuke Posts: 12,761Member

SUPERSTAR

edited July 2013
    kaiou89 said:
    I mean let's face it, it gets harder and harder to meet new people during our age and if Facebook is meant for social network, why not? 
    It's not getting harder and harder to meet people. You're just not trying hard enough. In fact, with all this technology, it should be easier to meet new people. Rather than going through some sort of physical public directory like a bulletin board looking for places to be, you could just hit up some website like meetup.com and get everything you need without having to put in much effort.

If you prefer meeting people online, there are better places to go first before asking for their facebook or other info.
    orangeman said:
    That said, adding random people on Facebook is no different than adding random people on AOL messenger or some MMO or through forums such as this. You're interested in people and there will be plenty out there who do want to interact for the sake of interacting. Some will be a bit creepy but even your existing friends have quirks of their own that is often disregarded. I used to converse with a lot of interesting people in those AOL chatrooms--barely knew anyone's real name but that was fine because the goal was to talk about something. 
    If you add someone through MMO, you two are already related by the very fact that you're playing the game, possibly on the same server. If you offer some sort of business offer while you're at it then it already indicates that you're looking for a business relationship.

Adding someone on facebook doesn't give you that kind of context and makes it difficult for someone to get a response.
    superhumanchichi

SUPERSTAR

this is true. a relating context is important. for example if i were to meet @mannosuke at my local SUBWAY extablishment and discovered each other as unusually adept in the art of articulating the perfect order of sandwich to the SUBWAY sandwich engineer, it would be acceptable to become friends on facebook as we share the same dream in life. SUBWAY.

this is why the first golden rule of pick up artistry is not to go in blind. there needs to be an excusable and acceptable reason for you to speak to someone. and depending on the circumstances it can be a legit reason such as asking a question about class, to secretly manipulating the situation so they see you often during an event or hang out spot and make it so you eventually meet up close by chance nad mention how you have been seeing them a lot. they will believe it is fate and subconciously put thier gaurd down.

these techniques are not possible over facebook unless you have a common binding friend. for example if i see an unusually profound comment or funny comment left on my friend's status, and i reply, eventually we will talk through our mutual friend's page. this leads to an acceptable context to add them as friends.
    Think about all the things in this life that hurts you... do not do those things.

Lienana544hyobutts
  • teekeiteekei Posts: 22Member

ROOKIE

edited July 2013
    Mannosuke said:
    kaiou89 said:
    It's not getting harder and harder to meet people. You're just not trying hard enough. In fact, with all this technology, it should be easier to meet new people. Rather than going through some sort of physical public directory like a bulletin board looking for places to be, you could just hit up some website like meetup.com and get everything you need without having to put in much effort.

If you prefer meeting people online, there are better places to go first before asking for their facebook or other info.
    orangeman said:
    If you add someone through MMO, you two are already related by the very fact that you're playing the game, possibly on the same server. If you offer some sort of business offer while you're at it then it already indicates that you're looking for a business relationship.

Adding someone on facebook doesn't give you that kind of context and makes it difficult for someone to get a response.
    I'll meet you. Got a few things to say to your face. So you're usually at subways?
    jennibear01
  • MannosukeMannosuke Posts: 12,761Member

SUPERSTAR

edited July 2013
    Meeting people at SUBWAY is probably the same as meeting people on facebook.
    SunniRisehyobutts

SUPERSTAR

so are you saying that sharing an interest in one particular sandwich at SUBWAY is like commenting on the same post on facebook? 

so if we are both eating the same sandwich, it is acceptable for us to comment on how amazing each other's tastes are?

• SunniRiseSunniRise Someone... feed me. Baker StreetPosts: 3,297Member

SUPERSTAR

Everyone! Go to your local McDonalds establishment and talk to me!!
    (411)
    Feel free to follow. 
    nana544NitsujN_RN

SUPERSTAR

@naughtydog Why is he in tears? Because the food is going to waste? Haha
    (411)
    Feel free to follow. 
    hearthealer

SUPERSTAR

SunniRise said:
    Everyone! Go to your local McDonalds establishment and talk to me!!
    i used to do this, we will meet and split the 20 piece chicken mc nuggets for 4.99, with a refillable soda and converse about deep topics.

hyobutts

SUPERSTAR

@ajlee613 I guess that's always better than my cooking.
    (411)
    Feel free to follow. 

SUPERSTAR

peanut butter and jam sandwiches are pretty enjoyable. although i would prefer it with banana slices.

SunniRise