Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

Replies

• danitdanit Posts: 58Member

IDOL

3) I thought the story was TOO fast paced at times. There were so many things that could have been expanded on or shown in more detail.
    For example, Wang Yoo is a young guy who enjoys looking for street fights and playing around with women, and suddenly he's a super principled King and wants to get rid of all corruption in Goryeo? It doesn't show how his character evolved to that.
    Also Ki meets her father for the first time, but there's almost no detail about that.
    I myself think there is no need since Wang Yoo at his true self has never been a playboy. Wang Yoo did all those stuffs on purpose to trick Wang Go to believe he is a worthless Crown prince, so that Wang Go can let down his guard and our Prince can have more spaces for his own schemes. Same goes with Ta Hwan, he has to play weakling, silly just for the sake of surviving.

You know, it's never easy being a Crown Prince/a Prince since everyone is craving for the crown. They should/have to keep it as low key as possible, and they will rise up/shine when comes the right time.

That's probably true, but I still think they should have fleshed out that whole storyline more. Even if Wang Yoo was not a playboy, he still was only 18 years old. There still needs to be an adjustment period to learn how to be an effective and fair ruler and how to govern an entire country. Like DLG, I think just the stories from these 2 episodes could have been made into 6 episodes without dragging. But nonetheless, I'm greatly enjoying this show.

• chrissydivachrissydiva Posts: 1,207Member

SUPERSTAR

I am confused. Did the show say that Yoo was 18 or did I miss it? Everyone seems to think so, but I remember from the time Ki joined Wang Go, the time jump was 13 years. I honestly doubt that those kids were 5 lol So they have to be at least in their early 20s or even mid if those kids were like 12. I know in sageuks they tend to have actors play their late teens when they are way older than that like in Horse Doctor.

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or die. There is no middleground."
    Youtube Page
    "24:Live Another Day" May 5, 2014 -- Jack Bauer is back, baby!

tessieroo
  • danitdanit Posts: 58Member

IDOL

Dammit...can't think...why'd you have out that photo there?? :P

I know there were child kings back then that were basically controlled by their mothers, essentially, but they don't show that here. They show Wang Yoo suddenly completely in control, making all these decisions by himself, putting everyone in the court to shame, etc. With most jobs, there is a learning curve, so I would imagine to be a king there would be a learning curve too, and there would be some immaturity, mistakes, or lessons learned in the beginning. But the Wang Yoo shown here is almost exactly like a 50 year old, experienced King would act. I'm not sure where his character goes from here.
    tessierooleaaaaamittiin
  • tessierootessieroo Motor Mouth Posts: 6,460Member

IMMORTAL

@CherKell

I decided I'm only watching this for the pretty and the sexual tension.  =))  I'll let @Jomo143 tell you herself about her dentist visit which resulted in some interesting dreams about both lead men. :D
    Visit Me At Couch Kimchi
    Follow Me On Twitter! 
    leaaaaaniknokdagu425ernanianggraeni
  • tessierootessieroo Motor Mouth Posts: 6,460Member

IMMORTAL

edited November 2013
    Ohhhhh...abs and energy for me. And a nice, big bright smile.
    @CherKell, I hope you feel better! 

Visit Me At Couch Kimchi
    Follow Me On Twitter! 
    Jomo143niknokdagu425
  • DJGDJG Posts: 803Member

SUPERSTAR

edited November 2013
    @DJG It was already said that the prince was never a foolish playboy. That was just his cover. Though I agree the first two episodes were on full speed. From some comments they said that was those writers style to be fast paced. They are bound to slow down somewhere.
    I got that the prince was pretending, my surprise was on how quickly the writer redeemed him.
    Either way, I'm very pleased so far and look forward to the many stories still to come.

tessierooLiberaimudZarraJae
  • CherKellCherKell PERSIMMO-YUMMIES!!! Posts: 2,697Member

LEGEND

edited November 2013
    LOL you guys!!!  Only hands and stuff? Jomo, you've got to step up your game there -- dream in real time like I do! >:D<

Yup, everything gets better and I feel no pain anymore with just one smile from My Precious...

But I digress big time.  The folks at DC JCW have been busy little Photoshoppers while I was away.  Case in point of this beautiful submission:

And I had to add this one just for giggles n' grins -- I think I've just found a new name for my next band! :D

Enough futzing around -- time for an early sleeps if I want to be up at the crack of dark!!  I-)
    tessierooPommePompadour
  • foreverstar75foreverstar75 Posts: 106Member

IDOL

edited November 2013
    briseis said:

"I'm so scared I can barely breath." - Huizong

When we first meet Huizong at the beginning of the story he is an exiled Yuan crown prince, who despite his eldest status, gets replaced with his step-brother by the all-powerful El Temur and then is packed off to Goryeo, where they plan to kill him as a pretext for wiping out the resisting nation.

Huizong appears to be weak, sickly and foolish coward but we soon learn that’s only an act to keep himself alive just a little longer. Under the facade he wears in front of the world, we can spot a smart, shrewd, young man who has been haunted by the constant danger he’s been living in the whole life therefore it’s no wonder he’s scared to death. Yuan wants him dead, Goryeo wants him dead, too; even though, they can’t allow it to happen on their soil, his own family abondoned him and the people who are supposed to protect him are trying to kill him. When he confessed his fear to Zhang JCW’S acting was so astute that my heart broke for this poor young man.

Huizong may sound as a weakling but fear is no weakness because only fools don’t know fear for the only time when a man can be truly brave is when he is afraid. This is the reason why I like Huizong better than Wang Yoo - Wang Yoo is written as the perfect hero without fear, without doubts, he fight for his country, he is so self-righteous it hurts and real people are not like that.Whether Huizong is very complex with flaws that make him so much human and I’m fascinated and curious how his character will evolve from now on.

Now, he is seems to be only a pathetic pawn in the game the powerful play andit really makes you want to see his journey -  how this abandoned young man without allies and friends who found himself in a hostile foreign country became that self-confident and regal man from the beginning of episode 1.How Ki helped him, how their relationship influenced him and shaped him, how he matured him and became one of the most powerful monarchs of the 14th century and an Emperor who reigned in his own right.

NICE! THanks
    briseistessieroo
  • lljsykk2013lljsykk2013 Posts: 142Member

IDOL

I just finished watching Ep1& 2. And really want to ship HJW&JCW  second lead symptom   :(
    tessierooernanianggraeni
  • katie_nguyen85katie_nguyen85 Posts: 3New Member

TRAINEE

Arghhh, can anyone tell me how to reply to a person, like @xxxxx?? I am really a sucker when it comes to these technical or whatsoever things. Thanks in advance, chingus.

Anyway, @leaaaaa (yes, I type it mechanically word by word and had to pause to recheck whether it was missing any "a"), you said it best. The sequence where child Wang Yoo confronted with the Yuan generals has shown how much he cared for his people. And I am sure it hurt him bad when his unthoughtful act of releasing those women ended up killing them instead. And 13 years was way more than enough for child Wang Yoo with such heart and hurt to grow up, to build up his own force. Let alone as a royalty, since a lil' child, he was taught to think, act so much older than his age.

Admittedly, it was kind of fast paced sometimes but I didn't find it unrelated or non-sense at all. And I'd prefer this than those unnecessary fillers or dragging childhood stories (oh dear, I've got sick of those childhood stories thrown out everywhere in Kdramas recently)
    niknokdagu425tessierooimudleaaaaa