Hair chalk on Asian hair~

Guest Yishi_x

Guest Yishi_x

Hey guys, so I've been hearing a bit about hair chalk, and as someone who has a somewhat professional image to maintain in certain situations, I can't really venture into creative hair dye colours (anymore!). So I was wondering if any of you have any experience to share regarding hair chalk:
1) It looks pretty awesome on blonde hair but how vibrant is it on Asian hair?2) Can you use any chalk (i.e. classroom run of the mill art class chalk) or do you have to buy specific ones?3) Hair straighteners are used in a lot of Youtube tutorials to "set" the colour but I hear that this is damaging for the hair...any clarifications?
I've seen some conflicting information posted online, so it'd be great to get some opinions from you guys! :)

Guest xFloOwuffBB

I love hair chalking! My school doesn't allow dyed hair in our rules so I have to wait for vacations to do it, but it's really great. :) If you want it to show up on darker hair you have to wet your hair so that the color adheres, it looks fine.
Don't use oil pastels, use soft pastel chalk.
You don't have to set your hair with heat, I mean obviously anytime you apply heat to your hair it's damaging, and ontop of that you've got other chemicals with your hair that comes in contact with the heat. Any time you have chemicals in your hair and you apply heat to it, it's much more damaging than regular heat application.

Guest xFloOwuffBB

@bumbletumble well keep in mind that chalk is powdery.. it holds your hair together too, I mean it's not supposed to be like a soft serum. Also it's suggested that you not comb your hair that's been chalked.

Guest leeminni

I actually tried it out on my hair and my sister's hair. I used a teal and lavender soft chalk pastel but the colors weren't too vibrant.I combed through it on accident and it was really tangled and chalk was flying everywhere. I probly did it wrong though.I watched videos and people did say to seal the color in with heat but it is damaging to your hair if you do it all the time. This is just from my personal experience though.

Guest Yishi_x

Thanks, PandaAgenda, I hadn't come across that video yet! That's been pretty helpful as a tutorial and also very funny hehe - her hair is browner though, so I guess the colours still show up better on her hair than they would on mine. She says that there is a lot of shedding of colour throughout the day...how bad/annoying is it? I have some mild dust allergies so I'm not sure if breathing in chalk dust all day is such a good idea...

I would recommend the powder people use for Holi, a Hindu festival. You can buy it at toko's around the time the festival takes place.
It's really cheap and the colors are much more vibrant then pastel chalk.

Guest misswengie

It actually turns out on black hair as well. I tried it on myself and I had ombre hair and it turned out on the blonde (orangy) parts and also the black parts:
http://www.wengie.com/2012/12/using-hair-chalk-to-create-lilac-ombre.html 

You can check my tutorial there and if you look at the front bits I used it to create some highlights on the black part of my hair (near my face:
lilac-hairchalk-ombre5.png

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sarah1430292388

If you wet the chalk pastel before you use it, It makes more vibrant color, (not soaking wet, just damp)and remember only to rub your hair the way it grows, don't go backwards, it will tangle,My friend watched the wrong tutorial on youtube and it turned out awful :(

Archived