do you miss highschool?

Admin

i'd leave it at the title question but i guess i have to type something

it's a sobering kind of laughter i have on the inside when my younger cousins ask me why i miss highschool.
back then i could see my friends almost every day of the week. back then it was so much simpler.
then i screwed up finals, had my options decimated and left to work jobs i had always looked down on and study things i didn't care much for.
ashamed of myself and withdrawing from my friends that would go on with their promising lives, crawling into the rabbit hole of depression was all i had left

of course, i don't tell my younger cousins that. i tell them "you'll know one day"

so
do you miss highschool?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can't say I do. If I had done the hard yards and gotten the scores that would have meant I could go on to study medicine I'd still be stuck in my home country working ridiculous shifts and sleepy the rest of the time. The fact that I performed mediocrely in my finals and went on to study a physics/electronics/engineering major followed by a masters resulted in my having the opportunity to work abroad as I do now. Sure I may have been able to do the same as a doctor but then I'd be doing those stupid hours elsewhere and still not having the opportunity to do the things I can now.

Guest dolcedor.

Nope.

I was a very awkward teenager, low in self-esteem, not many hobbies and I didn't have many friends. I've made new friends since then, and the friends I made in high school are not the friends I have now. My life is much more fulfilling now--I'm starting a career in a promising field, I have hobbies I truly enjoy, a wide network of friends... and I can honestly say I'm very confident about myself. I have a lot more freedom to do what I want now--something I didn't have in high school.

So do I miss it? Hell no. I'm at a much better place now, and I can only see it getting better.

Yes, I miss it for the fun memories I had and the learning experience thoughout HS.  Moving from the North to the South opened my eyes and was a huge change for me overall.  The school and friends I attended and made will always be memorable.  I learned and did so much.   I miss my awesome teachers in HS and the crappy ones as well.  Going well beyond my expectations with grades and tasks....and also getting caught in classroom dilemma(s) where we almost got our college applications revoked somehow, lol.  You'll always reminisce on good and remember the bad even if you don't want to -- they're what makes you who you are today. 

Nah. You can say I miss some parts, like playing on the tennis team and being in the school plays. Those things I really miss because in the adult world, I don't get to play tennis with my friends everyday and I don't get to regularly play against competition at other schools. I don't get to perform in theater anymore with hundreds of people watching me. I really miss those things. I also miss being surrounded by kids that grew up with me since elementary and middle school and just having people to talk to on a daily basis. Nowadays, it's just work from 9-6 and then I go home without seeing many people other than my roommates and co-workers. I also miss the high school events like prom and homecoming.
I don't miss the stupidity of high school. I mean, there were some really dumb people there. There were also people that were unambitious and slackers and all sorts of lazy types. I don't miss the academics (aside from English and History, I always enjoyed reading literature/history and discussing about it). I also disliked that I couldn't really do much by myself in high school. I couldn't drive for most of my 4 years, and I had to ask my parents for money since I didn't work.
I think I like being on my own and I've lived this way for so long already that I couldn't possibly imagine being 16 again.
If anything, I probably miss college a lot more than I do high school.

not at all. 
high school was pretty bad. my self esteem was at an all time low and i think i had more frienemies than real friends. 
the only thing i miss about highschool is the academics. I wish i tried harder. if i had the ability to do so i would go back just for that. i wouldn't even speak to my former friends. I wouldn't even socialize. 
but we must move forward and not dwell on the past .....
one more thing to note. having my frontal lobes fully developed is a huge plus.  

Guest Miyuki♥

I miss high school. Not high school itself but the mindset I had at that time. Basically, I miss not having to agonize over what to do with my life.

Yeah, I do, I was the top in pretty much every class, and I felt like I knew everything and that nobody was smarter than I was. Then I went to Berkeley and ZOMG hella depressed for 2 years and almost ruined my life since my grades were poop, but I got myself together and ended strongly in the end :)
I never knew that having such a massive ego would be so problematic when I eventually learned I wasn't the best. If I remained the best, then maybe I would've been successful, but man...there were too many geniuses, real ones, natural geniuses that also worked hard- I couldn't match up to them by working hard alone :/

I miss the easy classes! The homework I could beast during lunch and in class during the lecture. and do nothing at home.

At the start of everything new, and nobody knows me, I always miss my highschool days as one of the most famous students in the school. Only 2000 students, of course I'd be the only one dumb enough to memorize 700 digits of pi. so my name quickly spread. At college...your name can only spread across subculture groups and perhaps a dorm. Eventually I get enough people to notice me that I'm satisfied, but I feel like I lose so much power when I go somewhere new. Of course, it took awhile to build it up in highschool, so I expected it to take awhile to build up elsewhere, so to speed it up, I've learned new tricks along the way. Unfortunately I've begun showing off more as a result.

^in that regard, I also miss my innocence. I was really shy and quiet, and didn't show off, I did the pi trick just for fun, not vanity, but everyone was so interested and came to me to hear it that it got out of control later on. I also never looked at girls ever, or knew of any mature stuff. I gave that part up after a couple years in college sadly and I am once again in tune with the world. I probably had the world exposure of an elementary school student in high school. it's too bad I gave that innocent part of me up...it makes me sad sometimes. I still haven't given up my abstinence for drugs, alcohol, sex, and swearing though. keeping my never done streak clean...

^in consideration of my innocence, I don't miss my naivety...I feel like I know what's going on now, and that I can handle it maturely...

Also...when moving, it's also a fact that I'm moving from my enemies, and so I never have to see those rattail-yanking jerks ever again. omg they always snuck behind me and pulled my hair, or they drove by me while I was walking home and shouted "mullet man!" at me. So I don't miss those people. and in college nobody ever "mistook me for a girl" anymore.

Ninshark, you memorized 700 digits of pi. That is amazing. Is your real name also Pi? And did you move from India and get stranded on a boat with a tiger called Richard Parker after the cargo ship carrying your dad's zoo animals sank? Did you also land on an island of Meerkats where you had a spiritual epiphany where your life was eventually turned into a movie directed by Ang Lee? Answer me.

Guest nobody knows

I don't miss it, but if I were to return, I wouldn't really mind either

I like my life now much more, and I'm excited for all the future has to bring me :)

I still go back to visit from time to time, mostly because I was very close with the art teachers and the track team. But the little freshmen that I knew when I was a senior are all graduating soon so my reasons to go are dwindling

ugh I miss it so much! College just sucks >.<High school was a time of inexperience, less stress about school and about the real world.I wish I could go back and experience some of the social aspects of high school again..I wasn't very active in clubs ^^;;

Guest kkyosuke

Not at all. I wasn't very social in high school and wasn't the most stylish or attractive fella. I've pulled a total 180 since being out of high school and am making something of myself and definitely happy with my life. As for those that I envied and thought I admired, they're all druggies and deadbeats now. Cheers to them LOL.

Guest Beboo Duchezz

No im not hahahahahahahha ~i'm done with everything that i wanna do in high schooldoing some embrassing things and idiot momment hahahahahahahahahahaim verry happy ~

hey @blnyc , I'm not as crazy and exciting as you hoped I'd be. No, my name is not "pi" and I'm not from India :/ sorry man. I tried my best in highschool for the tigers and stuff, but when I moved to Hawaii, there were no meerkats :(

Guest Irysinon

I miss absolutely nothing about high school. I hated high school. The counselor never gave me a chance to pick the courses I wanted. My years of depression started with high school. I did something stupid a few days ago and that was get on facebook. Why did I do that? There's a reason why I left behind everyone and have wanted to forget them. Everybody seems to be in a better place than me. So way ahead in life. My feeling of inadequacy will never leave me as a result. It reminds me every day how much of a loser I am. To think I was once ambitious makes me sick. All of this only makes me want to fade and become completely invisible. Shameful.

Archived