Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do young people hate on office jobs so much?

blnycblnyc Posts: 192Member

IDOL

edited December 2012 in the real world (20+ ONLY)

I understand media depiction is one reason, but if you honestly believe that commercials, movies, and tv shows are accurate depictions of real life...then don't bother reading any further.

But yeah, why the hate? I talked to a few friends recently who graduated and haven't applied to many jobs. One reason was because they couldn't "stand" to sit in an office all day "wasting" their life away. Umm...okay? Do people not realize that the overwhelming majority of white collar jobs are office jobs? You know where lawyers, accountants, businessmen, CEOs, finance analysts, i-bankers, animators, film makers, engineers and journalists work at? In an office. Yeah, I know, shocking. And where did the idea of wasting life away in an office come from? Doing your work in front of a computer is no different than doing your work on your laptop in a university. The only difference is one is paid and the other isn't.

I guess if your goal is to be a professional circus actor, or an athlete, or a construction worker, or a cashier, or a plumber, then yeah, you might never have to work in an office, and maybe that career is what you should aim for. But otherwise, I'm confused at the people that went to college to major in some liberal art and have no desire to work in an office setting.

Replies

• omgfoodomgfood Posts: 78Member

ROOKIE

because they don't like the idea of 9-5 with no real creative outlet for the rest of their life?

i like my job, but it still depresses me i'll be in the rat race til retirement.
    i can resist everything but temptation
    flyhighbichEclecticcherry_flip
  • blnycblnyc Posts: 192Member

IDOL

edited December 2012
    ^ exhibit A

Do you not have a life outside your job? Do you have any friends? If not, I could see where your bitterness stems from. BTW, please define creative outlet. Even in supposedly boring jobs like accounting, there are ways to be creative, like improving operations and systems efficiency.
    Jnn
  • ajlee613ajlee613 Bay Area, CaliforniaPosts: 4,676Member

SUPERSTAR

edited December 2012
    most people in this generation don't have a very good understanding of various diffeernt types of jobs. for example, there are "office jobs" that are not very dull at all... for example working at start ups is also an office job. i've had fun office jobs, google is also an office job they have a gym and good food etc. most office jobs are moving away from your standard sit at cubicle and do something mindless over and over again. that is a really 80's 90's view of an office job.

also, in the USA when asked to identify themselves, somewhere like 90%+ of adults identified their very being with their job title. you are right in the sense that people these days do not persue a "life" outside of work. 
    Think about all the things in this life that hurts you... do not do those things.

campanellaflyhighbich
  • little mixed girllittle mixed girl little miss trouble west jaPanPosts: 4,604Member, Friend of Soompi
    i doubt that you know all of the jobs that your friends have applied to.
    and i never wanted to work in an office, but here i am, working an office job.

i sit on my butt from 9-6 and get occasional exercise in the bathroom. i stare at a computer screen all day and have stiff shoulders. 
    i'm getting fat because i sit all day. after work, i get home, shower, clean and then study stuff for work. i've got one day a week for an exercise class, and all...most of my co-workers are nice, but i don't want to see them after work.
    plus, i'm tired all day.

it pays my bills and i don't want to kill myself. i can learn some new things. that's the plus.
    i write an important thing, and do not let's finish. a way of writing for freedom.
  • flyhighbichflyhighbich Posts: 121Member

IDOL

I don't think it really matters if a person has a life outside their job or not b/c for some people their job is their life.
    -think about it if you work 8 hours a day and it takes about 30 minutes to commute to work back and forth plus the time to get ready and wake up for work which is another 30 minutes that would equal to about an hour...so that's almost 10 hours a day plus the time for an average person to sleep which is 6-8 hours..so that's like 16 hours out of a 24 hour day..then some people have to study, cook, etc..and there isn't much time to do anything else except for the weekend

I think it is just your friends or people who don't like their jobs in the first place or just don't like doing what they are doing but have no choice. they gotta make a living somehow 

like you said people who major in liberal arts..i mean that's really really broad major and so for some people it's whether blue collar jobs or white collar jobs and I agree with you. why are they complaining LOL

when I was younger I didn't mind blue collar jobs doing it part time when in school but now after graduating and doing it 8 hours a day it is physically and mentally exhausting..and I am a person who loves sports and loves being physically active. I really really want a so-called boring white collar office job that is mentally stimulating and then use the physical aspect after work and go to the gym everyday, do boxing, yoga etc...

• damyoungjidamyoungji Toronto, CanadaPosts: 4,234Member

IDOL

I don't hate office jobs, but ever since I was young, I knew that I will never ever work in an office.. mainly for the fact that you do sit for the most part of the day. I am not saying my current job is anything different (I do sit quite a bit, too, but I do not work in an office), but I do run around at times. I take the opportunity to do so whenever I can. I.E. Others will call each other for stuff, while I will go to them in person instead. I am just not the type of person who can sit 24/7. I sit for about 5 minutes and I itch to walk around. It is more or less a personal thing.
  • blnycblnyc Posts: 192Member

IDOL

I agree with your post flyhigh. The way I see it, an office job is the opposite of a blue collar, physically demanding job. Some blue collar jobs pay very well, but they can be physically straining. For me, I'd much rather be paid to sit in an air conditioned room with a comfortable chair staring at a computer all day as opposed to being outside getting sweaty and dirty to get a job done.
  • whisperingwhispering FinlandPosts: 91Member

ROOKIE

Work in an office myself, i'm a draftsman. Pretty much draw and design industrial buildings. Love my job.

Apart from going to construction sites and occasional meetings, sit in front of my computer all day. But i don't think it like that when i'm working. Doing serious work is not the same as browsing tumbler. You don't get bored 'cause you're so into the work you do. In "the zone" i think is the semi official term for it.

• vintageousvintageous who's that?! Posts: 479Member

IDOL

edited December 2012
    I never found any hatred for office jobs. The sitting for 8+ hours a day sucks but I just drink more water to use the restroom more often lol.

Honestly no one wants to waste their life away in an office but what kind of industry are they looking into then if not an office one? The way I see it is that I am getting paid here and it's a whole lot better than being paid to stand in a retail store (I work for corporate retail). I enjoy my time outside of the office much more and I can enjoy it without restraints because I am getting paid.

Some (very lucky) people work for pleasure. Most work for money. It's definitely a lesson to the younger ones to learn that at the end of the day, lack of money kind of trumps everything else.

It's certainly a tough economy to be picky right now.

• pshcypshcy Posts: 22Member
    Well.... I really don't like sitting in a desk for hours. I want a job that will give me an adrenaline rush or something exciting at least.
  • vintageousvintageous who's that?! Posts: 479Member

IDOL

^ construction work?

(not saying it in any tone of downplaying construction worker FYI, i'm sure they work real hard and earn big bucks)

• zantac_2zantac_2 sydPosts: 3,189Member

IDOL

^maybe something even more daring like a high rise window cleaner or a maintenance worker for radio towers.
  • denzerdenzer Posts: 20Member
    pshcy said:
    Well.... I really don't like sitting in a desk for hours. I want a job that will give me an adrenaline rush or something exciting at least.
    I'm with you. Some people may say that 'you're so lucky to not do any hard lifting' and etc. Yeah,I guess it is much better compared to that, but sitting gets boring after a while, especially for those who will be doing it for years to come.
    My motivational website: http://feeldriven.com
  • goddessofkrwgoddessofkrw Posts: 722Member

IDOL

I have an office job and I hate it. The job itself has nothing to do it with but more of the people.  The gossips and politics is too stressful for the amount of money they are paying me.
  • AngolMoisAngolMois Posts: 53Member

ROOKIE

blnyc said:
    I agree with your post flyhigh. The way I see it, an office job is the opposite of a blue collar, physically demanding job. Some blue collar jobs pay very well, but they can be physically straining. For me, I'd much rather be paid to sit in an air conditioned room with a comfortable chair staring at a computer all day as opposed to being outside getting sweaty and dirty to get a job done.
    That's true... I had a really fun job (set designer assistant) in Japan where I got to be on music videos sets, etc... However 24 hour shift moving heavy stuff (I was a 99lb girl) and painting sets in -3 degree C warehouse pretty much made me running back to my current job.
  • ling_lingling_ling United KingdomPosts: 3,678Member
    I think there are a number of things
    One of the big ones I think is celebrity culture. It is so in our face now and with reality shows so big and showing people not in 9-5 jobs, people don't aspire to those anymore. Especially since the recession where those kind of jobs are hard to come by. People no longer want to do that

Another thing is creative outlet/passion or whatever. Kids today want to do things that their "passionate" about and have an outlet where they can express themselves, rather than have a job they are doing just for money.
    Like me and my sister. She is unemployed doing an internship for a really cool company, she works odd hours but she likes it because she is doing something she wants to do. Whereas me, I am doing a job which pays, I dont particularly like it but its something which I need to live. I do miss working for something that I enjoy but I just cant bring myself to be doing unpaid work and stuff.

<3 <3 <3
    " You know you've made it when you have your own wikipedia page "
  • ling_lingling_ling United KingdomPosts: 3,678Member
    Although I would love to go back into events.
    I worked odd hours and it was physically exhausting but I loved the results and the adrenaline.
    But that job is hard to come by nowadays and again, I cant afford to do interships or unpaid placements :(
    <3 <3 <3
    " You know you've made it when you have your own wikipedia page "
  • whisperingwhispering FinlandPosts: 91Member

ROOKIE

^ construction work?

(not saying it in any tone of downplaying construction worker FYI, i'm sure they work real hard and earn big bucks)

Last week went to a construction site we're working on, was -10C outside. Felt glad of my life choice of sitting inside a warm office.

superhumanchichi
  • green.peagreen.pea Posts: 19Member
    I think there's a discrepancy in what people label 'office job' as. For me, it's exactly that 9 to 5 where I'm counting down the hours left in my shift and working just as a means for survival with no actual passion. Certain jobs do take place in an office, but I personally don't see filmmakers, CEOs, engineers, journalists, etc as an 'office job'.
  • MannosukeMannosuke Posts: 12,724Member

SUPERSTAR

edited January 2013
    green.pea said:
    I think there's a discrepancy in what people label 'office job' as. For me, it's exactly that 9 to 5 where I'm counting down the hours left in my shift and working just as a means for survival with no actual passion.
    In that case, if "office job" automatically means a boring dead, possibly unproductive and uncreative, job then ya I can see why no one really wants it unless they just really have no better choice.

Which would also agree with some of the other posts that mentioned the lack of creativity in office jobs.

But I think It is great to sit in an open office doing stuff you like and having the occasional chats with others that are also doing stuff that they might be interested in.