B R A C E S.

Guest kupoxkupo

Guest kupoxkupo

Braces. 

Have you had them? Want them? Need them or don't you? 

I currently have braces. I had them applied in June this year. So I haven't had them for that long. I had to have 4 teeth extracted. That was probably the worst part of getting the braces. I have to have them on for approximately 3 years. There has been such a change already! It's really amazing how fast braces work. The pain when you get them applied at first is horrible though, and whenever you get them tightened. But it's all worth it! 

I was just wondering who here in this forum~
  • [*]
Have had braces and what was your experience with them?[*]Who wants braces[*]Who needs braces[*]Who doesn't want braces and why?[*]Who doesn't need braces[*]Who wants advice with braces

colour.jpg

I had braces for about two years. A lot of people said it would hurt, but I didn't feel much pain until towards the last few months I had to wear them, when the orthodontist added something called a "power chain" to make my teeth even straighter--now that REALLY hurt.
After braces comes retainers. Nobody told me about those before, so it annoys me to have to wear them.

Guest kupoxkupo

Oh wow that's lucky you didn't have much pain until the last few months! I haven't heard of a power chain before, sounds pretty neat. 
And yeah! You have to wear retainers for a couple years? But really they want you to wear them for the rest of your life even if it's only while you sleep. xD

Guest loveslick

Power chains are terrible. .But when they come on, it means that you are closer to finishing your treatment!! I got my braces last year in August and while the beginning suckeeeddd (can't eat everything I want anymore!!!), its pretty cool seeing your teeth move around and become straighter. I have a couple more months with them, so I'm excited to finally get them off!! 

I had braces for about 6 years, and I think 2 types of braces during that time period...(not at the same time though)
I had straight teeth when I was a kid but I had an accident where it messed up my teeth really badly, so yeah haha.
I don't really care that I had them cause I had them in elementary school until freshman year of high school, so I'm just glad I got them earlier than later.
One thing I remember about braces is that I always broke my brackets and wires from eating stuff they tell you not to ahah...

& ^ retainers are for the rest of your life I believe, cause your teeth will start shifting if you stop wearing them for even a month.
I've never worn them for a whole day, even after I got my braces off. I wear them mostly every night though. I'd rather keep my teeth straight and wear retainers than waste thousands of dollars just to get uneven teeth again.

Guest panda.rider

I had braces all through high school and got them off somewhere during my first semester of college. It was the most painful experience in my life, especially at the beginning when they had to pull out 5 teeth.During my first appointment, I was scheduled to remove 2 teeth but ended up only removing 1. When the dentist tried removing the first one, it wouldn't budge. She was tugging on it for like over an hour and in that process I lost a huge amount of blood. Since it still didn't come off, she ended up having to surgically cut the tooth out piece by piece (it was one of my back molars) and by that time the "numbing" effect from the shot had already worn off. So yeah...it was extremely painful. I had to reschedule to remove the 2nd tooth cause the amount of blood I lost caused me to be really woozy. 
The worst part for me during the whole journey was the teeth removal. Of course not to say that every time I went to get my braces tightened wasn't painful. I had to wear this mouth "expander" and a headgear also. Oh and the rubber bands that I had to wear in the end were annoying, especially when I yawn and they snap.
But overall, I think it was completely worth it. I don't have the most perfect teeth, but they look much straighter and better than before. If I could do it over again, I would definitely choose a different orthodontist. XP

Guest AliceAristocrat

I had braces for 2 almost 3 years from 7th to 9th I think. I loved it actually, I had no problems with them. I didn't have to remove any of my teeth at all. The first few months, I broke the wire thing but after that I didn't really have any problems with my braces, I loved that I got to come up with new color combinations for the bands. So I had a really good experience with braces and it was during the time that braces were popular in Thailand so it was fine, I guess if I lived in America at the time, it would have been different.
The one problem I had was after I took off the braces and had to wear a retainer (technically I still have to. I wear them only when I sleep though) I hate that thing with a passion, it's not so bad when you're asleep. But when you're wearing it during the day, it's torture. You can't really talk that well so yeah, loved braces, hated the retainer.

Guest lanziepanzie

I only just recently.. well not recently a few months ago had my braces taken off after 3 years and 3 months!

Time really flew by having them on as much as i hated them!
I had 8 teeth extracted in the one go (4 wisdom and 4 molars) as my teeth were super duper crowded and just plain bad.
They weren't overly unbearable but I had mouth ulcers very often and quite often the brackets would also break and i'd find myself back at the ortho getting them fixed.
I dont look back though.. It's amazing what it has done.
Not only did it straighten my teeth but it changed my jawline and now my face looks oval instead of round.
feels like i had plastic surgery hahahaha but definitely well worth it!

Guest Moneyca

Hi!
Before I got my braces I had expanders placed on the roof of my mouth. This was instead of getting extractions. Thank God. My brother attended a different orthodontist so he had extractions (8 in total).Since I am missing 3 teeth (so sad) on the bottom jaw, my mum decided it was best to go to a non-traditional orthodontist. Steps I had to go through:1. Expanders for widening the jaw.2. Tads for centre alignment3. Top braces first for 3 months then the bottom braces.4. RetainersAnd O MY GOD they hurt the day after. It cut through the insides sometimes and the wax didn't really help. I finally had them removed after a year and a half. My teeth weren't that bad in the first place. Just mainly the "windows" at the front and tooth hanging on top gum.
After the braces was off, I had bonded retainers at the bottom and a plastic one on the top for the first 3 months. I now have a metal one I wear at night. Apparently when I asked to get the bonded ones on top like my brother, my orthodontist said when you bite down it will collide with the bottom retainers. However, my brother's orthodontist placed permanent top and bottom retainers for him. He said it would be better for the patient as he wouldn't be able to take it off when the tough gets going.Now who do I believe?
I am mostly happy with the results and experience. But it does at some point seem like plastic surgery. But I reckon people need straight teeth for communication and stuff. It looks nicer doesn't it?
Good luck.For people out there who are debating about getting braces or not, you should get it. It is a life long beauty (only until you age). The total cost was nearly $10 000 for my teeth. I have to repay my parents back though ;)
 Get that smile you've always dremed about ~ - MonP.s. My mum reckons the expanders made my face square shaped.PPS I don't know why but I forgot to mention that when the wire was placed through my brackets, the end brackets fell off twice and the front one fell of once while eating and the wire would undo itself from the last bracket. <--- this is just my experience which is  dim in a dozen 

I got braces when I was in middle school and didn't have to extract any teeth. The real pain is only in the first week, once I got through that, even the adjustments didn't hurt as bad. The braces did give me canker sores a lot though so that was unpleasant. But I'm glad to have it off, it went by really fast! One bad thing it did though was the realignment of my teeth made me talk weird. Or maybe it's because I got used to talking with braces on that when I took it off, there are somethings I can't pronounce well like I did before.

The plastic retainers don't really last long as they tend to degrade and if you wanted a replacement, would need to buy it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest connectionfailedT-T

I just got braces yesterday and I'm supposed to have them for the next 14-16 months. My mouth hurts so much right now ;-; Any soft food suggestions for the next week? How did you get over the insecurity of having braces? I feel like I should hide in my house until they come off =.="

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xFloOwuffBB

I've had braces since 8th grade! I'm currently a junior right now.
I've always been conscious about my teeth since I had horrible teeth when I was younger up til 8th grade (and that's when kids start to become aware of themselves--the joys of puberty).
My mom didn't want me to get braces when I was younger than that like every other child because she felt I couldn't handle the pain that comes with getting braces--and when I finally did get them I proved her wrong, not even crying or complaining once.
But because of my mom's thinking and putting me off braces for years, I've got horribly low self-esteem (and for other reasons too).

I actually really love my braces (except for the fact food gets stuck in between).
I love the idea of hiding my teeth behind something.
I'm kind of scared to get them removed because I feel like I'll be exposing too much of something I don't feel comfortable with still. :/

My orthodontists have told me that I'd be getting my braces off 3 times before already, and they keep moving it up.
For a while, everytime I went for my monthly check up all they'd tell me is to keep wearing my triangle rubber bands (this happened for 7 months) and I was quite irritated with their lack of information on as to why I still needed to keep them on for so long.
Well. My parents paid the final payment long long long ago anyways, so it's on them :P.

Guest zer0mg

connectionfailedT-T said: I just got braces yesterday and I'm supposed to have them for the next 14-16 months. My mouth hurts so much right now ;-; Any soft food suggestions for the next week? How did you get over the insecurity of having braces? I feel like I should hide in my house until they come off =.="

Guest c.odette

I had my braces for 3 years, and I had them pretty late (20s). It wasn't bad at all. After tune-ups they always hurt but other than that it was pretty smooth sailing.The pay off is great; as soon as they come off you really notice the difference, especially if you compare before and afters.

I need braces, but I don't want it. Because either way you're going to have to wear a retainer for your whole life without the braces so it won't go back to it's normal shape. It's not really my fault to why my teeth aren't 'perfect', the dentist who pulled out my two teeth twisted it out, and now it's crooked. After my crooked teeth, I started taking out my own teeth, it's less frustrating and time consuming.

Guest misssharon

I had braces for about three years? sophmore year - senior year in highschool. Honestly I didn't really feel like I needed them my teeth were pretty straight to begin with but one tooth just grew out weird (it was slanted/turned? not sure how to explain it). Other than that my teeth were aligned and I was content with it. My mom on the other hand thought it was a problem (maybe like when I get older ...my teeth would get crooked? or something), but it was like that for a few years already so....I don't think it'd have any impact if it was left alone.
Anyway, I hated having braces. They hurt and the wires at the end kept stabbing me in the cheek so I'd have to go back to the ortho's place and wait hours there (I end up taking a nap there everytime) just to have him take 5 minutes to fix the wires (which he should have just done correctly to begin with). Now that my braces are off all my teeth are straight, but the top and bottom don't align? I have an overbite and they don't match up. I'm pretty sure before I had braces they did.
I don't really have any complaints about retainers, but out of curiosity: how do you guys clean them?

Archived