Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Around what age range isn't young anymore?

knockblockknockblock Posts: 3,735Member

IDOL

edited October 2012 in the real world (20+ ONLY)
I'm 25 right now. About to be 26 by the end of this week.

Thought of asking. When would you say someone is not young anymore? Starting at what age range? I'll say the mid 20s. Like at 24-25.

When I was in my early 20s I had the "you're young" excuse. It was okay for me to not get certain things yet. I can't use the excuses I had when I was in my early 20s anymore, and if I make the same mistakes as when I was younger then that means I'm not growing up.

An important thing I grasp more of is to know your identity and where you're going with it. A lot of people (including strangers I've just met) seem to like or think well of me. I also make people wonder about me sometimes.

Replies

• ajlee613ajlee613 Bay Area, CaliforniaPosts: 4,710Member

SUPERSTAR

0 - 4 is a baby 5 - 12 is a kid 13 - 18 is young 19 - 21 is transitional stage and i think if ur over 22 you are truly a full adult.

its not about what you accomplish it is your thought process. however biologically your brain stops dramaticly changing at 25, so i guess if ur over 25 your brain biologically wont change, kind of like how when ur 16 - 18 ish ur body stops growing.
    Think about all the things in this life that hurts you... do not do those things.

• xunapxunap Posts: 7Member
    depends on the country probably, I don't feel young anymore since I was like 20 or 21 :( But yes, probably the mid 20s.
  • goddessofkrwgoddessofkrw Posts: 722Member

IDOL

in your 30's.  Many of my friends are in their mid 20s but they act like they're teenagers ie. living with their parents, not paying rent, expecting their parents to cook for them etc. so I say 30s. 
  • hb_jackpothb_jackpot Posts: 423Member

IDOL

I say at around 30, I think around this time most people know who they truly are and what they really want in life, etc.
    Please kindly read the signature rules.
  • EclecticEclectic lvl 1 red mage limboPosts: 2,213Member

SUPERSTAR

in your 30's.  Many of my friends are in their mid 20s but they act like they're teenagers ie. living with their parents, not paying rent, expecting their parents to cook for them etc. so I say 30s. 
    really?
    “Idealism is what precedes experience. Cynicism is what follows.”
    MythnoonA

SUPERSTAR

I say at around 30, I think around this time most people know who they truly are and what they really want in life, etc.
    in other countries or in our grandparent's or parents time, you already had all this when u were like 16 - 18 years old. im not sure if their mental and emotional develpment was any different than our own at this age, however the general amount of knowledge you needed for most work was middle to high school graduate level depending if ur talking about our parents or grandparents. therefore it was easier to be confident in your abilities and easier to go off on your own.

people are getting married later for the same reasons, because it just takes that much more time to get settled in. 

i guess there are 2 ways to measure being not young, physical accomplishments and state of mind. i agree accomplishments are a lot easier to meassure, but i've met people who are on their own totally independant but seem like 16 year olds when i have a conversation with them and they waste a lot of time time just like they did in college, going to clubs and raves spending their hard earned money to waste time with people who arent really their friends etc. yea i been there and done that too i admit it but i was like 18 and by the time i was 20 - 21 i was so tired of it and realized there was so much more that i could be doing with my life, bonding with friends who will be there socially and business wise, later in life, building up milestone achievments for work future jobs and for grad schools, studying harder. saving up money instead of going to clubs and stuff and go on a nice long road trip vacation with close friends, developing long lasting real bonds that are worth investing in etc.

i've met a whole lot of ppl living with their parents that have very mature mindsets.

that said, i'd say the ratio of mature vs immature people from mid 20s to like 30, that live at home and live on their own are about the same.... so i personally dont think independence financially is the best way to measure.

however that point about knowing what they want from life, that is a big one! a lot of 30 year old dont know that, i heard that usually the mid life crisis is what brings that revelation about lol.
    Think about all the things in this life that hurts you... do not do those things.

• IrysinonIrysinon Soompi Superstar Posts: 1,460Member

IDOL

I'm still going through a quarter life crisis and I'm 29. The thing is, I'm really bad with money so I always spend it on things that I shouldn't be spending it on. I'm kind of the type that would rather starve for a day than to not buy a Street Fighter game. Yeah. Since I don't have a social life and I don't want one, I find other means to fill in that void of boredom and it is through games. People can argue and say that at my age I shouldn't even be playing games. Well, that's easy for them to say since I grew up playing Atari 2600 and NES. This is a big part of me. I even delved into game design for a period. With that being said, I certainly know a lot compared to my younger years and it is through the culmination of various experiences. Have I matured? Somewhat, but I prefer...no, I CHOOSE to be more of a kid 'cause I honestly believe that people that forget their childish nature are boring. I still love my cookies, games, cartoons and Goosebumps book collection. As far as age goes, I am old. I existed on this planet for 29 years and if you don't think 29 years is a long time, then I don't know what to tell you. I still feel physically like a 23 year old, but mentally? Not so much. I've accomplished a vast amount of things in my 20's and completely missed out on the activities that so many are engaged in (ex. partying, clubbing, dating). I actually feel like if I hadn't accomplished all that I did, I'd be another 29 year old regretting everything. What I have now isn't regret, but more of a yearning for the old days when there was a different vibe in the air as if everything was going to be okay. Now? I can't stop worrying about my future. My parents are getting older and nothing is how it used to be. I don't know what to do with my life anymore.

• whisperingwhispering FinlandPosts: 91Member

ROOKIE

I'm 30 and i still don't know what i want from life.
    EclecticMythnoonAfabrications.sheertiara

SUPERSTAR

im not sure if what you are feeling is the "being young" or "not old yet" Feeling, but a lack of purpose and a yearning to find a satisfying life. you need to want something and struggle to achieve it. this is something that is universal reguardless of age.

many people strive for marriage, stable and enjoyable job / financial situation, enjoyable group of close friends. but that might not be you, take time to think about that and maybe you will figure out where u want to go with your life. time flies sooo fast and if u spend time not knowing u'll be 40 before you know it.

• hb_jackpothb_jackpot Posts: 423Member

IDOL

Yeah it does have to do with the generation and the country you live in. I think now we have a bit more time to enjoy our youth and sometime abuse it but sometimes competition/expectation for certain work/career is also much higher than the last generation. I never met my grandparents, they all died before I was born... Well my 1 g-Pa died when I was like 4? But as for my parents they didn't marry young or anything and the way of life was way beyond different then how I am now so idk... I think my mother was an "adult" by the age of 13 or so as being the oldest of 7 kids and had to take care of her bedbound mother. I'm sure that had she was born here or moved here as a young girl things would have been very different, or maybe not.

As for now-a-days I think for most is around 30, give or take but that's just my assumption from my surroundings but for general it's pretty impossible to give an age as we all have different lifestyle/upbringing/baggage. Of course I'm just talking about mentality, independency and financial is way harder due to one's circumstance. And I also don't believe that living with your parents means you depend on them because for some of us we are actually the supporter and provider. Then you got some who lives by themselves yet the parents/family is the one providing for them, so circumstance varies.

Like when people ask me "Do you live with your parents!?". My answer would be "No, they live with me" :D.

Then again I'm not 30, maybe I spoke more for wishful thinking that I"ll finally know who I am and what I want in life by that age hahaha.

Well for me, it's like no partying, no spendings on materials, all my pays basically goes to the bills lol so really even though I feel like I'm using money for the right cause yet I have no savings really, will work more on that later.

I'm already suffering from my quarter life crisis and it blows, I can't imagine how my mid-life crisis would be like... That can't be the way to know what I really want in life D: I refuse to believe that.

So basically should we comment for ourselves?? I'm no way near of being an "adult" I think I'm still immature and have accomplished too little, I'm 22 so yea I'm still a baby, but I do have plans to grow up and accomplish many things that I want to... some day... I'll let you all know when I feel not young anymore and why HAHAHA
    whispering wrote: »

I'm 30 and i still don't know what i want from life.
    I did say "most people", I'm just going by people that I know... hahah, dont worry my sister is 29 and still has a mindset of an 18 year old girl, least to me she does ....
    Please kindly read the signature rules.
    jandie30sheertiara

SUPERSTAR

@hb_jackpot i agree, and a thing to think about is also, if finances really make you an adult, that would mean that those rich kids who zoomed through college cuz they didnt have to work full time to pay their own tuition are more of an adult than some one who is mid 20's and still in school because he is working full time and simply cant squeeze in many classes.

i would argue that the person still in school without the big job due to a degree, and possibly still living at home cuz cant afford rent while paying their own tuition is a lot more grown up then the fully indipendent rich kid who got a full ride through everything up until he got a job. 

• lanziepanzielanziepanzie Melbourne, AusPosts: 321Member
    I guess it depends on the environment but these days 30 is the new 20. I remember when i was in highschool I was hoping i'd be married by 24 settled into a career and ready to pop some kiddies but nowadays i think ill be 30 and married. so i would say anything under around 28 is considered young
      <3 Song Joong Ki - Park Simon - Jung Il Woo - Cho Khuhyun

Currently Watching - Nice Guy/ Innocent Man & Missing You

musicsmylife
  • hearthealerhearthealer Canucks CityPosts: 983Member

IDOL

According to most neurobiological research, your brain and body hits full maturity at 24-28, after which your cells start the long road to death...long story has to do with telomeres and the number of times each cell can "reproduce", so technically, you're not young anymore...

As for actual maturity..it really depends i know people who are more mature at 19, thn others at 24...a lot has to do with life experience, whether you've been through hardship, whether you travel, see the world...etc
    Visit here for my minimally updated blog... T.T
    And join me on Twitter and Instagram :)

<3 Out of SUC but it's ok, keep reading the blog and much love and thanks for getting me to Round 2 <3
  • ~ BunnyliciouS ~~ BunnyliciouS ~ Mum OregonPosts: 26,362Friend of Soompi

SUPERSTAR

30. It was a depressing birthday.

sheertiara
  • prechuz_aznprechuz_azn Posts: 3,041Member

IDOL

Definitely when you reach your thirties...hasn't it always been when you reach your thirties? -_-
    credits to serenityx3 
  • PaNgIeEPaNgIeE Minnesota, USAPosts: 1,175Member

Well, nowadays you can't tell who's an adult and who's not anymore. I've seen young people being more more responsible than older people. I guess it all depends on the mindset and how you live your lfe. I think being an adult is when you know yourself that you're able to be on your own and be able to take care of your responsibilities. Someone can be in their early 20s and be consider an adult compare to some who's in their 30s because of how they present themselves. I think when you're out of HS is when you should see yourself as an adult because you are not embarking out to the the real world.

As for me, I consider myself an adult when I started relying on myself to make the most of my life and that was when I was not in my 20s yet. I'm in my 30s now and it doesn't get easier. Days flies by faster than you know it.

Beautiful words are not always truthful. Truthful words are not always beauitful.
    flyhighbich
  • Munshi225Munshi225 Posts: 193Member
    I work around really old people, so under 50 is young to me. It's all about perspective. When you're in your teens, everyone seems old. If you surround yourself with people younger than yourself, you'll always be old by comparison. :p

I guess the real question is when are people 'adults'? To me, it's when they are responsible for themselves. 
    vivaciousvixenfabrications.jandie30
  • WwwWww Posts: 31Member
    If you're still above the grave.
    fabrications.
  • SoulAce2SoulAce2 Posts: 304Member

IDOL

I'm in my mid 20s. Based on the number alone, I don't think I'm either young or old...BUT I certainly feel old.  I've already sprained my back from simply bending over to pick up a pen. My knee joints are already hurting.  And I'm already feeling restless after a casual night out with my friends.  Perhaps I just need to get in better shape...Lol.
  • brokenmachinebrokenmachine Posts: 280Member

IDOL

when you start thinking oh Richard Simmons i'm old