Why do people say they only go for a specific Ethnicity?

__XXIILL

I have heard of many girls say, "I don't date Asian guys." or guys would say, "I only go for white girls." I personally feel that there are no difference in which Ethnic group they belong to as long as you're attracted to them as they are to you. 
What are your thoughts of this? 
How do you cope with someone/something like this? Do you have your own preferences? 

comments|statements|post
are for entertainment only- offenses shouldn't be taken. 

Guest Hearted

I feel like this means that the person likes traits that usually belong to that ethnic group as in physical beauty, cultural traditions or maybe even personality. There is no difference from ethnic group to ethnic group if we are talking everyone is human. The traits that generic for each ethnic groups is what mean when they say. "I like so and so, i dont like so and so". Someone white could have a trait generally found in Asian and if personally they did, perhaps I would like that guy over my preferred Asian boys. If someone did say they preferred white girls over me, then I would be like, "Ah is that so?" ask why and move on with my life. Yes, I have my own preference I've always had, it went from all the ethnic groups and right now is at, "I prefer Asian guys". HELLO YELLOW FEVER<3

Guest dolcedor.

To be clear, Asian and White are races. Japanese, Ukrainian, Polish, etc are ethnicities.

Anyway, I don't think it's wrong for people to exclusively date members of a certain race or ethnicity. People are attracted to who they are attracted to. People of different ethnicities have traits that may be biologically or culturally unique, and these traits are probably what certain people find attractive. I don't think it's racist, and I don't think it's something that I have to "cope" with. If someone isn't attracted to me because of certain physical or cultural attributes, so be it. I wouldn't take it personally simply because attraction is so subjective. Of course, I have my own preferences (which is for Asian guys), so it's natural to expect other people to have their own preferences as well.

As an aside, I've dated white guys in the past and they all had dark hair and tanned skin.

People tend to be attracted to people that are similar to them. "Birds of a feather flock together." An Asian person may prefer another Asian person as a partner because of cultural and physical similarities. Or, an outgoing Asian person may prefer Caucasians because Caucasians are thought of as more outgoing (based on stereotypes, of course). However, opposites also attract. For example, submissive and shy Asian girls, may prefer the more outgoing and carefree Caucasian guys to balance out their personality (again, I'm stereotyping).
But of course, you can't help who you fall in love with, so whatever ethnicity they are don't really matter as long as you love them for who they are inside and out.
For me, I prefer Asian guys, but my first love was Hispanic XD

Guest rickertv2

People have the right to choose which race or ethnicity they want to get involved with romantically. Just like people are attracted to certain physical types (tall, big eyes, brown hair, lean, etc.).
I prefer dating Asian ethnicities that are considered "typical" East or Northern Asians (Koreans, Japanese, Mongolians, northern Han, non-aboriginal Taiwanese, etc.) rather than SE Asians. Does that make me a racist? No. I just don't find short, darker-skinned, wide-nosed, thick lipped girls with protruding mouths who speak in "clicks and clacks" attractive. I will treat them humanely and with respect but I will not get involved with them romantically. I prefer Asian girls with lighter skin, taller, and with more refined facial features (just like I would understand if a girl doesn't find a Korean guy attractive and rejects me). 
But I don't think people should make a big deal about this issue. As long as they don't treat other races or ethnicities as sub-humans or inferiors.

Guest rickertv2

jellyace said: People tend to be attracted to people that are similar to them. "Birds of a feather flock together." An Asian person may prefer another Asian person as a partner because of cultural and physical similarities. Or, an outgoing Asian person may prefer Caucasians because Caucasians are thought of as more outgoing (based on stereotypes, of course). However, opposites also attract. For example, submissive and shy Asian girls, may prefer the more outgoing and carefree Caucasian guys to balance out their personality (again, I'm stereotyping).
But of course, you can't help who you fall in love with, so whatever ethnicity they are don't really matter as long as you love them for who they are inside and out.
For me, I prefer Asian guys, but my first love was Hispanic XD

For a few of my guys friends they all say they're into "white girls only" when they are non-white themselves (indian, african american, etc.)
Aside from the other reasons listed above, I think it can also be a STATUS thing. Like for me, the majority of my high school were Jews and the "popular/pretty" girls were mainly white so I feel like some guys feel inclined to date a white girl so that it makes them look good in terms of social status. But maybe that's just the assholes I know lollll. =P

Guest vivrantthing

rickertv2 said: I just don't find short, darker-skinned, wide-nosed, thick lipped girls with protruding mouths who speak in "clicks and clacks" attractive. I will treat them humanely and with respect but I will not get involved with them romantically. I prefer Asian girls with lighter skin, taller, and with more refined facial features. 

vivrantthing said: rickertv2 said: I just don't find short, darker-skinned, wide-nosed, thick lipped girls with protruding mouths who speak in "clicks and clacks" attractive. I will treat them humanely and with respect but I will not get involved with them romantically. I prefer Asian girls with lighter skin, taller, and with more refined facial features. 

rickertv2 said:"Actually, studies have proven that people who are more similar culturally, morally, and physically tend to have higher satisfaction rates with much lower breakups/divorces. Just Google search it, I'm sure you'll find these articles. That means that if you're a 5/10 on the looks it's better for your long-term romantic chances if you hooked up with another 5/10 rather than seeking after that elusive 9/10.
The notion that opposites attract only pertains to the beginning of the relationship. Long-term wise, the statistics show that the concept doesn't pan out in reality."

to be completely honest....i probably wouldn't date an african american.
i'm just not attracted to them even if some has a really nice personality.
other than that, i feel attracted to everyone else,
but my real preference are my own.
I would like to marry another filipino guy, coz we grew up in the same culture and that just makes it easier for us to get along :)

Guest supcat

I don't think it's that racist or discriminatory. If someone likes certain features and it's predominately in a certain race/ethnicity, they'll prefer said race/ethnicity.
Do I think that they're missing out on opportunities from other people? Yes, but it's their life, not mine.

I don't really slam people for having preferences, unless it seems like it's going into fetish territory (like people with yellow fever... gross.) Most people have their preferences, and I do too. I'm more understanding of people who prefer to date within their own race due to cultural reasons or whatever (but if it' a superiority complex, I think it's stupid).
Just let those people be, they'll think how they want to, and maybe over time they'll become more open-minded. I kinda did. Like, for a while I always said I wanted to just marry/date Asian, but then I extended my policy to Latinos too (for casual dating). And now I'm not with an Asian, but a Latino in a serious relationship.

Guest MKHnic

Originally I never had preferences and was open to any look. After several years of meeting people and dating I realised that Asian guys (usually Korean or Japanese were my type) though I did also have some interest in Indonesians as well. The same way some people prefer a certain body shape or hair colour, I had narrowed down what attracted me physically the most. After a few more years I came to the conclusion that culturally I preferred Korean guys. By this time I knew that the average Australian man was not a good match for me and although Koreans guys are of course so varied as well, there are cultural differences that they share and I liked. Because I had these preferences (which took about 8 years of meeting different people, dating different people) I knew exactly what I was looking for in a partner and the type that suited me best. So when I met my future husband, who of course was a Korean man, everything fell into place. At the time I wasn't interested in having a relationship because I was happy being single but he pursued me and proved himself, and I fell in love, and I had to acknowledge that I'd found the right guy for me.

I don't like it when people are so extreme that they have a fetish. Like I was more attracted to Korean men, but it didn't mean I was attracted to EVERY Korean man. I once knew this girl who was verging into fetish territory. Like we'd be eating in a Korean restaurant and every single Korean guy that walked past she'd be like "omg he is so hot!!!!". I was like........what?

Guest soy.milk

Probably because their culture is the same. I prefer to date within my own ethnicity too, and if they are from the same Asian city/province where I was born in, that's even better.
But they are just preferences. Like before I never thought I would like a Filipino guy because the culture is quite different than the East Asian culture, but I ended up liking him a lot.

Guest ReplayMVP

I want to preserve my culture when it comes to settling down. But I find most cultures attractive. I can never quite put a finger on what my heart truly prefers. I guess it can be the whole relatable factor that makes me want to settle with my own culture in the long run. I think it's something other people feel too. That's why prefer their own ethnicity. In Additions people prefer other ethnicities than they're own. I remember liking Asians for a while because of all the Korean & Japanese music I listened to.

Guest Miyuki♥

I tend to have preferences to certain groups sometimes because I will think that they might have been raised in a way which means they have similar values to mine. However, I am weary of being attracted to and subsequently long term dating  a black person only because I know my parents would have a hard time (<--understatement esp for the father) accepting him...and I adore my mom.  But I don't really plan on getting married (to any race) so it's not a big deal atm = currently no strong dating racial preferences. 

Guest hellokatie1618

DID YOU JUST SAY I SPEAK IN CLICKS AND CLACKS? This proves you know nothing about anyhting. The way you phrased that was super disrespectful you hypocrite. Like there aren't other Asians who have protruding mouths, big noses, and dark skin and are short. richard simmons you.

Guest ReplayMVP

I prefer dating Asian ethnicities that are considered "typical" East or Northern Asians (Koreans, Japanese, Mongolians, northern Han, non-aboriginal Taiwanese, etc.) rather than SE Asians. Does that make me a racist? No. I just don't find short, darker-skinned, wide-nosed, thick lipped girls with protruding mouths who speak in "clicks and clacks" attractive. I will treat them humanely and with respect but I will not get involved with them romantically. I prefer Asian girls with lighter skin, taller, and with more refined facial features (just like I would understand if a girl doesn't find a Korean guy attractive and rejects me). 

Keeping it classy...

PS from 0 to rickertv2, how stupid are you?

Sorry guys, I had to...

Archived