Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[JDrama] Rich Man, Poor Woman 2012 Summer Drama - Oguri Shun, Ishihara Satomi

shinhakushinhaku Posts: 575Member
edited August 2012 in entertainment

image image

Synopsis

Oguri Shun plays Hyuga Toru, an affluent man whose personality is on the contrary, speckled with flaws. A CEO of an IT firm who is published on Forbes as a billionaire, Toru attained his fortune through chance and pure luck. A woman who meets Toru and eventually becomes attracted to him is Sawaki Chihiro, played by Ishihara Satomi. Chihiro is a hardworking college student at Tokyo University who has prepared for her future as much as she possibly could through studies and obtaining licenses. Despite her efforts, she has yet to land a job. Upon meeting Toru, she begins to unravel a genuine pureness inside him and solitude resulting from such pureness, which eventually draws her closer to him. The two repeatedly conflict each other, but little by little learn about one another to grow and develop together.

Despite the worldwide recession and financial difficulties, there are people like Mark Zuckerberg who began work from merely an apartment room or a garage that end up growing to be companies generating over ten billion dollars revenues after merely 10 years or so, embracing their new found wealth by living the dream life. Whether it's a game or application software, Ecommerce, or other IT related firm, there are more than a few who rose in fame to such status in recent years. On the other hand, Japan's unemployment rate for new grads dropped to a record low and those who want to work are unable to, or their wishes to work at their company of choice is not granted.

A Cinderella story of the real world. Will the two be able to compromise their values and lifestyles to become a happy couple? -- Fuji TV

Src: dramawiki

I can't believe there's no thread for this dorama! It's such a good drama. I haven't seen any good jdrama in a while. Does anyone know how many episodes it has?

Replies

• Immortal_AngelImmortal_Angel Fav. Couple! Posts: 3,752Member

IDOL

^^
    Usually jdorama has about 8-11 episodes not sure but usually romance dramas dont go over
    T_C.jpg
    Avantar & Banner Credits: IMMORTAL_ANGEL (please don't take!)
    Selling DBSK 07-08 Wall Calendar, if interested please pm me or click here: Me!
  • shinhakushinhaku Posts: 575Member
    I found the official FB page. they have photos of the staff https://www.facebook.com/RichMan.PoorWoman . Btw, I was searching for ep 5 summary and found this detailed summary of ep 5 http://bit.ly/RA31V1 !!!!! Can't wait for the sub!! I hope there'll be at least 11 eps. Don't like how jdrama is always too short!!
  • endeavorendeavor Posts: 4,004Administrator

ADMIN

The subtitles for EP5 is out. And you're right there hasn't been a good Japanese drama in a very long time. I'm enjoying this series so much. I secretly wait for Monday to come every week. LOL!
    imageimage
    .gif credits to c_gunawan541
    3nityblood
  • mystisithmystisith FrancePosts: 430Member

SUPERSTAR

One of the very good dramas from Japan which landed on my screen recently (also Legal High and Hungry!). Good script, good actors. Great OST. Not a single boring scene. A clever, feel good drama full of emotions.
    edited August 2012
    yes Legal high was a really good one! I've seen some of the first ep of Hungry but didnt get much impression from it

btw, i found some cute screenshots of ep 5 here http://www.vingle.net/posts/43664

• 3nityblood3nityblood Posts: 37Member
    great drama!
    Oguri Shun's acting is getting better.

but the plot of the drama is pretty obvious how the ending will turn out like. =0
    Written Preview for Rich Man Poor Woman Ep 6

Hyuga calls a press conference to discuss the leak of all the personal files. He explains that the leak of the personal files is currently being investigated, and there are no signs that any outside sources have breached their security network. But the Board of Directors continues to pressure Hyuga, and the stock price of the company plummets. This situation causes
    employees of Next Innovation to be walking on eggshells.

Because the company still holds considerable amount of personal files, the company undertakes an investigation of all employees. Despite the surveillance camera footage, no one suspicious is spotted.

Yamagami decides that they still need to hold on to the personal files until the new dies down. Makoto is asked to get an update about the investigation into the leak. At that time, Asahina brings up the fact that in two weeks, Makoto’s internship will be up and her contract over, so she shouldn’t be tasked with this matter. Makato wants to take on this project and asks to be allowed to do it, but Hyuga decides not to.

On the other hand, to increase patronage at the restaurant, Yoko decides to use the extra ingredients to run a cooking workshop. She asks her rival the sous chef to help create the menu. Makoto is busying preparing for the upcoming Board meeting and runs into Yoko. Makoto is very affected by what she thinks is Yoko and Hyuga’s relationship, and she wonders what will happen if Yoko becomes Hyuga’s wife. Hyuga is home depressed from the Board pressuring him to take responsibility for the leak. He calls Makoto, but she is with Asahina at the restaurant and doesn’t hear his call. At that time, Hyuga’s doorbell rings….

Source: http://koalasplayground.com/

via http://www.vingle.net/Rich-Man-Poor-Woman
    vill85
  • jade_frostjade_frost Posts: 1,601Member
    It's one of the better monday dramas to come along in a long time. I like the tone of the drama but I find the acting average and the character arcs rather predictable.
    I think the plot is interesting enough to keep me following the drama. I'm glad someone is do the recap on http://www.vingle.net/Rich-Man-Poor-Woman . this site is known for having contributors doing live recap for kdrama but im just happy that i can read recap for this drama while waiting for the sub and it seems whoever doing it posts the fastest recap too.
  • Kim YunmiKim Yunmi Posts: 555Member

IDOL

edited August 2012
    Translated the lyrics to Hikari E by Miwa, Japanese version (which is not the English remix version), but the translation probably isn't perfect... It should give you an idea. I tended towards more of the non-literal translation (i.e. word for word) I also had to shuffle the order of the lines in order for the translation make sense. (Since some verbs are on the second line... but connected to the first line, etc.)

Feel free to correct, but please DO NOT COPY from soompi without written permission.

光え
    Hikari e
    To the Light

理想現実ワンクリック
    ヒカリの速度に変わっても
    地球の裏より遠い距離
    アダムとイブにはなれない
    悲しみの生まれた場所たどって
    その傷優しくふれて癒せたなら

Risou genjitsu ONE CLICK
    Hikari no sokudo ni kawatte mo
    Chikyuu no ura yori tooi kyori
    ADAM to EVE ni hanarenai
    Kanashimi no umareta basho tadotte
    Sono kizu yasashiku furete iyasetanara

One click can change an ideal reality
    at the speed of light.
    At the furthest distance of the earth,
    Adam and Eve can't separate
    Follow the birthplace of sorrow
    There the wound can be healed with a gentle touch

あふれる思い
    愛は君を照らすヒカリになれる
    切ないほどに
    たとえ描く未来
    そこに私がいないとしても
    今はそっと抱きしめてあげる

Afureru omoi
    Ai wa kimi o terasu hikari ni nareru
    Setsunai hodo ni
    Tatoe kaku mirai
    Soko ni atashi ga inai to shite mo
    Ima wa sotto dakishimete ageru

Overflowing emotions
    Your love can become a shining light
    Even if the drawn future is painful
    Even if you do not have me there
    I'll gently embrace you now.

運命だって引き寄せて
    輝き続けたいよ
    奇跡だって起こせるって信じたい
    信じたい

Unmei datte hikiyosete
    Kagayaki tsuzuketai yo
    Kiseki datte okoserutte shinjitai
    Shinjitai

Even as fate draws near
    I want to continue to shine
    I want to believe even a miracle can happen
    I want to believe

遠慮配慮言葉の最後
    感情希望重ねても
    心の奥まで伝わらない
    (ホントの声を聞かせて)
    すべてのことに終わりがあるなら
    苦しみさえ
    いつか消えるはずだから

Enryo hairyo kotoba no saigo
    Kanjou kibou kasanete mo
    Kokoro no okumade tsutawaranai
    (Honto no koe wo kikasete)
    Subete no koto ni owari ga arunara
    Kurushimi sae
    Itsuka kieru hazudakara

Reserved considerations for last words
    The feeling of hope builds
    transmitted to inside the heart
    (I want to hear your real voice)
    All of this can come to an end
    Even if it is painful
    it will vanish someday

あふれる思い
    愛は胸を焦がす痛みに変わる
    愛しいほどに
    たとえ世界中の声なき声に
    責められたとしても
    私が全部受け止めてあげる

Afureru omoi
    Ai wa mune wo kogasu itami ni kawaru
    Itoshii hodo ni
    Tatoe sekaijuu no koe nakigoe ni
    Semerareta to shite mo
    Watashi ga zenbu uketomete ageru

Overflowing Emotions
    The love burning in your chest changes into pain
    because it's so beloved
    Even if the world's voice is crying
    Even if you are blamed
    I'll stop all the blows for you

人は悲しみを知るために
    生まれて来たの?
    そんなことない
    もっと愛を知りたい

Hito wa kanashimi wo shiru tame ni
    Umarete kita no?
    Sonna koto nai
    Motto ai wo shiritai

People know sorrow
    Why was I born?
    They don't know why
    They want to know love more

孤独がぬくもりを知るためにあるのなら
    幸せはいつだってそこにあるのに
    Kodoku ga nukumori wo shiru tame ni aru no nara
    Shiawase wa itsu datte soko ni aru no ni

There is loneliness so you can know the warmth
    Happiness after all is always near you

あふれる思い
    愛は君を照らすヒカリになれる
    切ないほどに
    (人は悲しみを知るために…)
    たとえ描く未来
    そこに私がいないとしても

今はそっと抱きしめてあげる

Afureru omoi
    Ai wa kimi wo terasu hikari ni nareru
    Setsunai hodo ni
    (Hito wa kanashimi o shiru tame ni...)
    Tatoe kaku mirai
    Soko ni atashi ga inai to shite mo
    Ima wa sotto dakishimete ageru

Overflowing emotions
    Your love can become a shining light
    Even if the drawn future
    (People know sorrow)
    is painful
    Even if you do not have me there
    I'll gently embrace you now.

運命だって引き寄せて
    輝き続けたいよ
    奇跡だって起こせるって信じたい
    信じたい

Unmei datte hikiyosete
    Kagayaki tsuzuketai yo
    Kiseki datte okoserutte shinjitai
    Shinjitai

Even as fate draws near
    I want to continue to shine
    I want to believe even a miracle can happen
    I want to believe
  • lilmariah35lilmariah35 In love with Yamapi NEWS is RA-BUPosts: 316Member
    A very fun romantic dorama. The story is moving quite fast, there's no filler.
    Oguri Shun is incredible in this role. I can't get enough of the chemistry between him and Ishihara Satomi.
    I think I like it.
    Please kindly read the signature rules.
  • natsuminatsumi Posts: 22Member
    Rich Man, Poor Woman Insert Song
    Napa by Miwa: http://youtu.be/Re7qka5zgiM

English version of Hikari e
    HiKARiE Remix by Miwa: http://youtu.be/G_n2TENHrho

credit: uploader

I really love the OSTs of this drama!! Awesome!! Awesome!!

kayana20
  • natsuminatsumi Posts: 22Member
    Ahhh these two are trying to kill me!!! OMG! I'm melting!!! :D

Definitely one of the best scenes in Ep 5
    Spoiler:

kayana20
  • jadedbeautyjadedbeauty part ghost. clouds.Posts: 1,901Member

IDOL

Oguri Shun is one of my favorite japanese actors so I knew I had to try out this drama. I've only just started and I've already watched the first 3 episodes in one night! It's pretty good so far, Oguri plays his character sooooo welll. I'm not familiar with the actress who plays the main girl but I am impressed with her acting so far. I love an actress who can cry well, lol. 

A lot of jdrama's I've watched always either drags or ends terribly so I hope this one doesn't! 

• endeavorendeavor Posts: 4,004Administrator

ADMIN

edited August 2012
    I think it's starting to drag a little bit at least with the whole corporate thing. I hope it picks up a little bit in the next episode. I don't need another episode of Hyuga running around feeling hopeless and distress. I also hope we start addressing the mother problem because I feel like it's just being thrown around here and there. I want to know what accident he was in that caused him to "forget" the people that he meets as well.

Anyone know exactly how many episodes it's going to have?
    imageimage
    .gif credits to c_gunawan541
    kayana20
  • kayana20kayana20 new jerseyPosts: 2,716Member

IDOL

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS J-DORAMA. IS IT MONDAY YET? What a beautifully slow lovestory but I hope they keep the OTP I want together but it's moving too slow now. Please listen and put Natsui and Hyuga together they can have the brains, power, and romance. Hoping for a miracle in Ep 7.
    haha is it monday yet is the #1 asked question for this drama.

saddest scene ever :( .

Makoto to Hyuga: I'm glad I got to work with you (with tears in her eyes and her usual bright smile on her face :((( )

cr: http://www.vingle.net/posts/45700-Rich-Man-Poor-Woman-Ep-7-Preview-Discussion
  • IhjjIhjj Posts: 2,381Member

SUPERSTAR

Finally a thread! I've been looking forward to one so I can talk and talk about this drama!! Awesome!
    Dongwan      Eric      Hyesung      Minwoo      Junjin      Andy
    "Masterpieces can't be made in just one morning."  - Eric Mun

• topazeyedgirltopazeyedgirl Posts: 190Member

IDOL

Can't wait for Monday!!!! Hyuga needs to step up his game and...well Mokoto needs to have a better looking man after her...Asahina is nowhere near Hyuga's league when it comes to the looks...just saying hahaha
    I wonder if everyone feels like this. They’re smiling, but they’re crying inside, it seems like they’re doing well, but they’re actually falling apart.
    Shitsuren Chocolatier