What to wear for back to school and how to change your style?

Guest azenbuttercup

Guest azenbuttercup

Well for me I start school at August 27th and this year I really want to change my style. I'm tired of wearing t-shirts, jeans, and or a cardigan. So what really made me think of changing my style was when I was texting my friend and she starts by saying I'm wearing what you wear all the time. Then I went to my closet and saw my whole wardrobe consists of t-shirts, 2 skirts, jeans,shorts and some cardigans. For shoes all I own are 2 pairs of converse, 2 pairs of vans, and my most beloved Doc Martens I got for Christmas. So I want some ideas of how to evolve from this style and what are some good trends to go follow. And what would you wear for back to school or what is your style. I'm very open minded so I'll take a lot of ideas in mind but I have to follow dress code. (Highschool dress code.) Oh and tell me what stores are good for shopping for the things I want to wear.

Things I want to try wearing (give some ideas too!)

• tights
  • leggings
  • over sized like shirts and sweaters
  • flats
  • oxfords
  • more skirts and dresses
  • cuter coats (all I have are hoodies and those puffy winter jackets)

Thanks

I often find myself wanting to change my style too, so we're kind of in the same boat. I should mention I'm not in high school, but I'm in college... Anyway, I get a lot of inspiration from different magazines and other photo sources online etc.  Personally, I find that Forever21 is kind of a good place to start if you're on a bit of a budget. Oh, but for photo sources, I mean I look at places like Yesstyle.com ...and since shipping sucks for me, I try to make do and find something locally that looks similar to the look I like. :D
Umm... I'm not too sure what kind of skirts you're thinking of (flowy? pencil? etc etc...) but if you ever find they are too short, you can try to pair them with tights/leggings...o_o; I think that's a legging/skirt combo like.. they're sewn together or something.. that's new to me.. images werent working so here's the direct link  from yesstyle.

Flats would also look nice with some skirts and dresses. Personally, I'm going to attempt to learn how to wear heels since I'm pretty short and idk, I've always wanted to try heels and not fall. XD  Sorry, hope I was a little helpful?
Atm, I'm pretty into the layering thing with tops like this... also from yesstyle.

Guest lucky*13

haha when i was in high school, those "popular" girls in cliques always wear:
white short shorts with a brown braid belt, and a v-neck shirt with hairspray teased bedheads

now that i'm in college, girls wear tank tops, short shorts, and flip flops with bedheads D:

-
colorblock - bright yellow shirt, bright aqua jean/skirt
white tee with a sleeveless jacket (white/black/denim)
tank top with a breezy kimono jacket
dresses with tribal/floral patterns
if i was still in high school, i would have worn a lot of BUBBLEHEM!
that style is so cute and makes you look young

necklace/arm candy! (when i see my arm candy, i feel like i dressed cute that day even if i made no effort)

Guest Fatalchange

I was in the same boat as you a few years back; I only wore t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers. 
It wasn't until the last school year that I actually got complimented for my fashion choices though. xD  I don't think I really have a specific style now, but I do lean towards cute and girly as well as edgy and laid back. Haha they kinda contradict one another, but I like what I like. I mean, I can be wearing a lace and tulle dress with a big bow one day, and then come to school with skinny jeans, sneakers, and a baggy button-up plaid shirt the next. You shouldn't really try to fit yourself in a certain trend or style, but rather, get pieces of clothing that you really like. 
For girly clothing, I normally go for skirts and dresses that are flowy and layered. I also like poofy dresses too, but not tutu-like. I love lace and bows, and tulle can be pretty cute too. I don't really have any heels yet, so I normally wear flats with them. Cardigans are also a MUST, since a lot of my flowy tops and dress have small straps that go against my school's dress code.  I actually started wearing skirts and dresses more towards the end of the last school year, so a few of my friends would tease me about it a little bit.  xD
As for my "laid-back" clothing, I have a lot of baggy sweaters, button up tops (I absolutely love button-up tops, I have a ton of them), and crop tops that are super comfy and things that I can just throw on. I either wear them with shorts or skinny jeans with a pair of sneakers. 

Forever 21 carries clothes that fall into both categories, but I actually like going to this local store called Rhapsodielle. If you live in LA or Las Vegas, you might be able to find one.

Guest Animeuver

I use to wear tees and jeans all the time and my mum had enough. .__.;; haha...so I started experimenting.
My inspirations come from tumblr and magazines. I like the Japanese/Korean styles so I tend to buy some of those fashion magazines to see how they mix and match. Tumblr is great for finding pictures on various fashion too!
Since you have some T-shirts...how about getting a flare/plated skirt with patterned tights/stockings, tucked in your shirt and use a belt, then if you're feeling a little cold in an air-con room, you can always throw on your cardigan. You can wear your converse with those, and as well as any other kind of flats, oxfords, boots etc. :)
Or a 'harem'/baggy style pants that end just right below your knee, with a hoodie/slightly oversized tee/long tee with your vans. Casual, easy going for a relaxed day at school.
I presume that students don't have much allowance to splurge on clothes, so learning to mix and match with what ever you have while expanding your closet would be a great saviour to your pocket!! :D

Guest Chasing-A-Fairytale

I used to wear graphic tees and jeans all the time. My mom got bored and got me new frames and a stylish hair cut (super mom! LOL) and now for fall I'll have a lot of over sized sweaters, dark tights, and over sized knit scarfs. I have more of the laid back vintage look now ^v^ You could always wear a cream coloured shirt than the bright yellow or pink cardigan with a pleated skirt with your Doc Martens. Another fave look is a denim jacket over a patterned designed shirt with shorts and combat boots ^v^

Guest glamz

Love over sized sweaters :) you could try some dresses like this too, they're handmade and you can get made to order which I found really useful when I was changing my style, got pretty creative :)

http://www.makesellbuy.com/products/view/134373020776/halterneck-swirl-pattern-dress

http://www.makesellbuy.com/products/view/134373715656/pink-dress-with-black-bow

Guest azenbuttercup

Thanks this was real helpful!!! I went shopping yesterday and bought like a bunch of different stuff I usually wouldn't wear. My mom was like so surprised at the things I choose to try on. I was also wondering is there other ways to wear leggings and tights. Plus would it be a good idea to take some pictures of some future outfits so I don't forget how they look. And I'm kinda scared about what people are going to say... you know like how one day your wearing graphic tees and jeans with a pair of converse, then all of the sudden you just change your style. Please give some advice about this.

Yea take pictures, save in ur computer or paste on your wall. You can go through soompi what did you wear today thread and save pictures of the outfits you like.

Don't worry about what people think. I use to be like that too, I changed my style completely and for the first few days it was awkward, but after a while you just blend in with everyone and no one pay attention much anymore.

Guest MeiHearts

Just wondering, what year are you in school? 
I remember in high school I definitely totally changed my style but when uni started, I was all about comfort haha. I'm definitely not the most fashionable person in the world, but I think a very comfortable and stylish pair of flats + A comfortable pair of skinny jeans could never go wrong. It could match with the most basic shirt or the most fancy. 
As for leggings, they are really comfy and I think you could never go wrong with leggings+ denim shorts + boots. As for other times, just make sure to wear something that covers up your butt when wearing leggings :) 

Guest azenbuttercup

Well I'm gonna be a sophomore  and what I realize when I was trying on different leggins they have this color blocking (I don't know what its called) where it's black so when I bend down they show this blocking and I tried to put these black shorts over and I tried bending down again it showed the color blocking thing. I know it sounds really confusing but my shirts and skirts are long enough for dress code though. Any help?

Guest strawberrycheerios

Just slowly ease into it :]Like instead of wearing a cardigan, tshirt and jeans,  replace the jeans with leggings or shorts with tights or a skirt.Or t-shirt and jeans, but with cute boots/oxfords instead of sneakers. Wear some blouses to replace plain t-shirts.Buy some nice belts. Belting and tugging in can really change a whole look. Experiment in front of your mirror!Combine your favorite old articles of clothing with some new stuff you buy. Don't worry about people saying things because you suddenly change your style! haha, everyone's style evolves a lot in HS. In fact, you'll probably get compliments for trying new things :]Oversized sweaters and leggings/tights is my go-to outfit in winter/fall.But I'm in Uni, where i dress like a total bum most of the time (i try to be a stylish bum at least ;])I used to love planning my outfit when I was your age. My high school was like a runway (went to school in manhattan). Miss those days! Experiment with different clothes and your style will change naturally. Don't overthink it :]
one more thing:Your comment about the "color blocking", are you talking about tights or leggings? Because if you're talking about tights, then do they fit correctly? Because that darker black part shouldn't show. leggings normally don't have that. Maybe post a pic of your tights/leggings to people know what you're talking about!

Guest Lilith1430282444

Note: This post is going to be picture heavy, long, and possibly boring.
Okay first off, please avoid neon. I don't know about you, but in where I live (southern California) neon has become the next big trend and I hate it. The color clashes so much on olive skin tones too :s
With that being said, I'm going to be a senior next year and I'm also changing up my style :] 
For starters, I'll list some of my must-haves:1) TIGHTS! Paired with some shorts or a skirt, these look great and fashionable while saving yourself from getting that dreaded uneven leg tan! I myself love ones with patterns, opaque black ones, or semi-sheer ones! They're really versatile too, can be casual or formal :]images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZkHVlmGZHsgd4GIxzipb2) THIGH-HIGH SOCKS. Now these ones could seem a bit...iffy to some. Perhaps it looks too school-girl or volleyball player for some peoples' liking when they first hear the mention of thigh high socks. However for me it's a must! I wear these so often I can't even count. They're great for hot weather as well as cool. I typically wear them with shorts (less often a skirt) and a t-shirt or sweater! They may not be super popular but maybe that's a good thing ;Dimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdNQnED9Gg6v7UG9Gz0b93) BLACK OXFORD HEELS. I first stumbled upon these beauties when watching Boys Over Flowers, believe it or not. Jan Di wore them and I was like "OMG I MUST HAVE IT." They are very versatile, look GORGEOUS with thigh high socks or stockings, and can complete an outfit! I like to wear them with a blazer and skirt or shorts. They look fabulous ;) Although if you're a sophomore, maybe you can wait a bit since I don't know if you'd find it comfortable walking around school in heels.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCXVfcydtnmjm4YMQ4qk_4) MILITARY/COMBAT BOOTS. These really look good with stockings imo :) They can be casual or fashionable! I LOVE them and plus they are comfortable to walk in. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVdS5uauGbSMplo25eeeG5) BLAZER. Blazers definitely look really cute and can be worn in all seasons! I like black or navy blazers with lining, preferably striped, so when it's cuffed it looks great. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSz0HILgelRUVVJMcrxUVM6) HIGH WAISTED SHORTS. They add height and make your legs look longer and slimmer, and look great with blazers/stockings/all of the above :]images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6lFjV3jnNNGHYohIBdz5
Additionally, a friend of mine recently asked me for some advice on what to wear as she will be starting her first year of university this year, so I drew her a picture (it's not that good, sorry). Maybe it can provide you with some ideas and inspiration too! Hope you like my style suggestions!Don't forget that hair and makeup can also influence your overall look, not just clothing!
2nleety.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Guest the_really_big_sign

I think I will start by getting a few basic dresses (printed/solid color above the knee), dresses in generally will look like you care about ur style, yet there's not that much effort to try and put it all together...it's just one piece! ;)

Guest wakii

get a few pieces that are stylish but also appropriate for different looks. for example, a blazer can amp up any outfit and is suitable for casual, business, and formal events. if you get a color other than black or navy then bonus style points lol. 
i do have a problem with wearing the same thing all the time too. i always wear sandals, shorts, and tank tops but on days i dress differently i'll throw on a blazer or a hat and wear other shoes.
it all depends on what style you're going for. but i say it's a safe bet to buy those versatile signature pieces that look good and will be worth the purchase.

Archived