Cutting your own hair

Guest thoughtsandthings

Guest thoughtsandthings

I cut my own hair yesterday, and was surprisingly pleased with the results! My hair is really long and straight, so it's pretty easy to cut and therefore my mom wouldn't let me waste money getting it cut at a salon. So I found a tutorial on how to cut layers and voila! It looks pretty darn good!
I cut about 2 inches off and lots of layers. I felt really bold doing it lol because lots of things could have gone wrong...
Has anyone else tried cutting their own hair? How did it turn out?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chasing-A-Fairytale

Not me but I watched my cousin cut her sister's hair. She had a lot of hair and it was in thin layers, but since she was going to a hot place for her summer vacation, she needed shorter hair. It took a while since both of them were picky and had their own ideas in mind but it looked really nice at the end. No tutorials no nothing. I honestly, found it kinda choppy but that was the look she wanted XD

Guest zer0mg

I have long hair, and I've been cutting it myself for the past four years--mostly trims (bangs and layers) and once, a complete change in style (plain layers to Asian mullet). I've cut my mother's short hair a few times, too.

It's not hard once you get the hang of it. Most tutorials call for razors, whereas I just use regular hair cutting shears.
I am not really picky about the results. However, if I can achieve the same look as the salon, I might as well save the time, gas, and money by doing it myself. Of course, a professional can do it so much better (and much faster, too), but my results look natural enough that nobody knows I cut my own hair unless I tell them.

Honestly, I don't think cutting your own hair is much of a daring experience. If you mess up, it will grow back eventually. Just be subtle and slow the first few times you try it out; as you gain more experience, the process will become easier and much more fun!

Guest TVSJ18

I've been cutting my own hair for 5+ years.
I'm a picky person and the salons just don't know what I want. They never get the desired result, and cutting my own hair makes me feel satisfied and cheaper.
I've cut my bangs into blunt bangs, and side bangs. I also trimmed my hair shorter, added layers etc. No significant change (at least not recently) since I'm pretty satisfied with my current style..

I don't cut the lengths of my hair but I do cut my bangs by myself. Why waste $20 on just that small section? lol. However, I cannot--absolutely cannot cut someone else's hair for the life of me. lol. 
I had my side swept bangs for the longest time and decided to cut them straight across. One of my friends asked me if I cut it myself. The other friend replied, "She got it done! Why would she cut it herself?" I told her I actually did do it myself and she was surprised. I'm actually quite proud of how I had done it the first time...:D I did quite some research and watched a few videos xD  It looks harder than it sounds too =/ I made the sides drape instead of having the whole thing straight across so yeah. My bangs are back to being put on the side now though. The straight across bangs are too much for me to maintain. My hair grows back too fast and they never look like the first time I cut them anymore. 

Guest nobody knows

well the only place i go to cut my hair is Taiwan, which I don't go to often ...
and i have short hair

so I cut my own hair like 90% of the time?
considering I haven't gotten scared about cutting my hair, i've been pretty successful each time ~

last time i went to a salon in the US was 2 years ago (unwillingly) and the lady messed it up so bad i refuse to let anyone else cut it. i'd rather mess up on it myself for free than pay someone to mess it up -__-

I've only done my bangs but thats because I know how to use the sheers that do the layering, lol I don't know the name. But salons are scary professional, they can tell if you've done something by yourself rather than get it done somewhere else. Its creepy. So because of that I leave my hair up to the salon workers since I don't want to ruin my hair by cutting wrong or something. I'm chicken, I know.

Guest yujun

i have been cutting my hair for 2 years. it saves me time and money, and i think my hair looks good. most people can't tell i cut my own hair. but recently my mom told me to see a hairdresser as she thinks my cutting is horrible. but no, im not gonna see a hairdresser, they probably won't cut my hair the way i want it anyway. my hair is layered, so it's easy to cut as mistakes are easy to cover up with unstructured layers. but for straight cuts and cuts where the shape has to be precise, i think going to the hairdresser might be a better choice.

Guest xDollars

I cut my own bangs when I used to have them and trim my own hair too. Haven't been to a hairdresser in 2 years. Like everyone else said, most of the time they don't know what I want. D:

I cut my own bangs and recently have been doing my whole head.  I gave myself a really short haircut ^^;  The only problem with myself cutting my hair is that it's difficult to do the back >.<  I'm going to go to a professional soon to fix the shape of my hair D:  Looks fine in the front tho 

Guest blankety

IMO.. salons won't cut your hair the way you want it to, but at least they will make it symmetrical/acceptable looking versus cutting it yourself risking messing it up AND you can't tell if it's even or not. I've known some people who cut their hair and think they did a good job, but when you look at the back of their head or their bangs, it just looks weird or an obvious bad job.

my granddad was a barber. my mom cuts her own hair. my dad too. so do I. it's in the blood.

I've never been to a salon before, when I was young, mom cut my hair for me. once I reached 16, I cut my own hair by myself. It turned out nice, probably because it's in the blood. so yeah, I just had a haircut 2 months ago, and I love it. I can cut into any style that I want, and then it'll grow long, then I'll cut it again. I usually cut it once a year, when it reached my chest.

I think cutting your own hair is a very good thing, because you don't have to waste money going to a salon, and you can pick out any style and you will be satisfied with your creativity. lol.

Guest sakumar

I've cut my own hair twice!  The first time was due to the lady cutting my hair NOT cutting it as short as I asked.  She literally cut off a cm at a time and kept asking "like this?" even when I had a picture for her.  In the end I cut my own bangs (oh so dangerous) and they turned out well for the most part.  After a week they were fine.  The second time was when I wanted to trim my hair.  After the shower (when my hair is the straightest) I just took a pair of scissors and took off a good 3 inches.  It came out even so I was happy with that too ^_^

Guest bonbons

I started cutting my own hair in high school, it was a great way to experiment without spending money at the salon. I got better at it in college and actually had people request me to cut for them :P I stopped cutting my hair because I was trying to grow it out, and my hair got super long which meant it'll be harder for me to cut since I can't see the back of my head and it's just bothersome. Then I caved in and went to the salon because it's nice to get pampered and just sit in the chair lol.Plus they do it way faster and definitely more professional. 

Guest mastermei_

I usually cut my own hair, I started self cutting my bangs, length and layers of my hair when I was 14 as I found no one could ever cut my bangs the way I like it and because my hair is literally always dead and damaged, whenever I go into a salon they always cut off 6 inches of my hair even when I tell them I just want a 'trim' maybe it's for my hairs own good to cut off the dead ends but I always end up being unhappy with how someone else cuts it and start blaming them.
If I cut my own hair I can't blame anyone I guess XD 

Guest AiMango

I use a trimming scissor to cut my own hair. I've done it a couple times in the past when I'm frustrated at my thick hair and are too busy to go to the salon. And it hasn't turned out that bad. Just trial and error and going slowly.. ^^ One should definitely learn how to cut bangs, it's such a waste going into a salon just to do bangs x.x

Guest Hearted

Ocassionally I cut my own hair. Other times, I venture to a salon in hope I won't come home sad when they don't get it right. When I do cut my own hair, I'm pretty satisfied with how I fair. I use plain scissors to razors. Currently, my hairstyle is what I cut if not my mother because I can't reach the back of my hair well. I'm 120% happier with my own cut then a salon's... 

I started off trimming my own bangs when I was dissatisfied with the hair stylists around me.
Every time I came out, My head looked like a mushroom. After a couple months of hating looking like the reproductive part of a fungi, I thought I would just give it a shot because I couldn't imagine my hair being any worse.

I've been cutting my own hair for about a year now. Nothing but a pair of scissors.
Until I visit Korea or Japan again, I don't plan to turn back.

Archived