What ethnicity do people mistake you for?

chronicrhythm

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MKHnic

Russian... but both sides of my family all came from Britain.

Not looking forward to being mistaken for Russian when I move to Korea.....

I have the ability to blend in most any asian ethnic group, they always think Im the same as them when I shop in their store or go to other types of  asian restaurants

if I go to a filipino market / kusina they speak to me in Tagalog

if I go to a vietnamese restaurant they speak to me in vietnamese

if I go to chinatown they assume I speak chinese

if I go to thai restaurants they clasp their hands together to greet me and speak thai and assume Im a thai

Guest yuwahau

I went to get icecream with my friends and the people there were gossiping in chinese how we were dressed.. SO RUDE! It was hot so yeah we were in tanktops and shorts buts thats normal!! But obviously they didnt considered me as chinese but i could hear every word they said. I gave them a nasty glare afterwards.. also my friends who are white could sense they were gossiping about us. It is really not done to talk in an other language in front of customers!! Especially if they're gossiping which you will never know because you cant understand it, but i did.. 

Also when im shopping in hong kong, local people will talk in english to me one even asked if one of my parents is white.
so im chinese but asian people dont always see me as chinese. Most white people say that im chinese but yeah they also consider most of the asian as chinese. xD 

I eat a lot of viet food(my area has a large population of vietnamese folks) and most of the time I go to a restaurant or to the places that sell banh mi, they start talking to me in vietnamese for a few good minutes before they realize i have no clue what they're saying x.x

Guest clee86

I've been getting Chinese a lot lately for some reason. Maybe I should change my hairstyle or something..?

Guest winterofdiscontent

I've been mistaken for Spanish, Italian, Indian and Chinese. I'm Filipino/Australian.

Guest ivylovesyou01

I'm Puerto Rican but people ask if I'm Mexican... why do people automatically assume your Mexican when they find out your spanish? -_-Also I told my friend that I was learning Japanese (now learning Korean!) and he asked if it was because of my nationality. He thought I was asian lol

i'm vietnamese. korean flight attendants spoke to me in korean on asiana airlines. taiwanese flight attendants spoke to me in mandarin on eva airlines. vietnamese flight attendants spoke to me in english. i once sat in a viet restaurant and the vietnamese owners talked about me in vietnamese, wondering what ethnicity i was. they concluded i was chinese haha.

Guest vivianimbecile

I'm Chinese and got mistaken for Korean or Japanese. I guess it's because of my pale skin D:

Guest nauticalblue

I get Vietnamese, Laotian (haha), and Japanese a lot.
There aren't a whole lot of Asians where I live, so I think it's just a matter of people around here not being able to differentiate between Asians very well. I'm Chinese, and other east Asians can usually tell I'm Chinese, but one time, a Japanese woman just walked up to me and started speaking Japanese. I was so confused...

xstrawberryx said: I get Vietnamese, Laotian (haha), and Japanese a lot.
There aren't a whole lot of Asians where I live, so I think it's just a matter of people around here not being able to differentiate between Asians very well. I'm Chinese, and other east Asians can usually tell I'm Chinese, but one time, a Japanese woman just walked up to me and started speaking Japanese. I was so confused...

Guest asuka1430291743

I get mistaken for Caucasian and Chinese the most and then I get mistaken for other random ethnicities like Spanish, Flip (my skin is so pale though so I don't understand this one), Korean, and Japanese.  They're all wrong though.
I'm half Japanese half Caucasian.  Lol.

Guest Eun_neptune_Him

My parents are from India. My Dad doesn't look Indian at all (Pale skin, light brown hair, hazel eyes PURE INDIAN by the way) But my Mom does. I mostly look like my Dad too. People are surprised when I tell them my parents are from India (Punjab) and they'll reply saying that I look either Native Indian or Spanish.

Guest Celestra

Korean, though I think it's mostly because my city is full of Koreans, lol. Even other Koreans mistake me for Korean. =__=
I'm Taiwanese/Chinese btw.

Guest ape123

When I used to be super fake people thought I was half japanese and half mexican combined. Now I'm not all out fake, but still kinda fake and people think I'm korean or chinese. I'm full filipino

Archived