Music/soundtracks that made movies better

Guest SlicedBread

Guest SlicedBread

The day before yesterday, I was watching a relatively crappy movie from the 70's named Driller Killer. It's from a director whose work I like, but I have to say that the only thing that really kept me watching this movie was the punk music from the band that's in the movie, which made the movie all that more interesting to me.

In the same manner, there are some awesome movies that are taken to WAY awesome by their soundtracks. The obvious example for me is Blade Runner, with its haunting music created by Vangelis. 

Maybe what they have in common is that their music really fits in with their visuals, but maybe there are other reasons.

What other movies can you think of which have music in them that takes them to a whole other level?
 Why do you feel that is?

Guest HERMIT

This will certainly date me, but one of my favorite movies was Somewhere In Time, starring Jane Seymour, the late Christopher Reeve, and academy award winner Christopher Plummer.  In short, it was a wonderful little tale about a man who fell in love with a woman in a picture, only to find out that it was a picture taken in the early 1900s.  Obsessed with learning about her and her story, he came upon a means of being able to travel back in time and actually meet her, get to know her, and fall in love.  Time travel aspects aside, the story was truly compelling as a romantic tale.  It was a sleeper hit back in 1980 and it has had a nice little cult following.  But like you, SlicedBread, one of the big draws of this movie for me was its soundtrack as well.  It's main theme borrowed from Rachmaninoff's work and the classical feel of the piano in its composition really captured the aura of the early 1900s - as well as conveyed the notion of a timeless romance and love between the main characters that were central to the story.

Guest creaturedreams

I think "There Will Be Blood" (2007) dir. Paul Thomas Anderson film was made greater by the soundtrack and Hans Zimmer's score for Inception. 

Guest itrayya

THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS, that song when they are running in the end :((

THE LAST EMPEROR, by David Bryne. i think that song fits every asian film. haha.

composers that i look out for even if the film sucks- Rachel Portman and James Horner.

Guest dolcedor.

First movie that comes to mind is Requiem for a Dream. The soundtrack for that movie made the movie that much more chilling, and it's easily one of the most memorable soundtracks I've heard.

Other memorable soundtracks are Moulin Rouge and The Lion King.

• 2 months later...

Definitely The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast in term so of Disney films.

Shakespeare in Love
is a huge favorite of mine.  I think I've played this DVD the most because of the music and of course the movie's great as well :P

The Red Violin -- I've never actually listened to the soundtrack without watching the movie but it's absolutely mesmerizing on-screen. I've only ever watched this movie twice since it put you in a certain mindset but it's one of the most memorable films I have ever seen (in a good way)

Other movies that come to mind:
Secret -- It really highlights Jay Chou as a composer.  I don't really care for the movie but I LOVE the soundtrack.
Inception and The Dark Knight Rises -- The soundtracks are great but they're a little jarring to listen to on their own (without the film) since the music is so "loud".  I can't comment on the other two since it's been a while since I've last seen TDK and I've never watched Batman Begins :s

• 2 weeks later...

hayao miyazaki films are beautiful and the music in the background always enhances the film plus... they make me teary....
Joe Hisaishi is usually the composer for his films....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCpFeE68Yjg^One Summer's Day by Joe Hisaishi - 1:32 is when I am usually bawling my eyes out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owddukdxFv4^howl's moving castle theme 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest SlicedBread

I just saw "Woman In Red" a few days ago. Kinda "OK" comedy from the 80's. It had a killer song by Stevie Wonder (that guy is something else). 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SlicedBread

This movie wouldn't have been bad without the music. Kathryn Bigelow has always been a great director (Hellooo! Near Dark).
The music on this one, though, just slams the PUNK in cyberpunk.

Guest shooting_stars

I am curious to know what others thought about the soundtrack for The Great Gatsby (2013). I really liked it. I thought it was cool that Jay-Z produced it, and that it was such a modern twist for a classic story. At some parts, it could be distracting, but I really enjoyed it otherwise. I know there's been a lot of mixed responses, however. My friend thought it was distracting. Anyone else?

Guest SlicedBread

shooting_stars said: I am curious to know what others thought about the soundtrack for The Great Gatsby (2013). I really liked it. I thought it was cool that Jay-Z produced it, and that it was such a modern twist for a classic story. At some parts, it could be distracting, but I really enjoyed it otherwise. I know there's been a lot of mixed responses, however. My friend thought it was distracting. Anyone else?

Archived